2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Random Bandon Thread

buzlin

22 hours ago, graveydellic said:

How are frost delays "announced" at the resort?  Simply posted somewhere and word spreads?  

Surprised I have never had one, but looking at the cameras now and it looks beautiful, but no one on the course as they look frosted over.  

They tell you at check in at the pro shops. Also post signs like this.

frost.jpg

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, aiyyer said:

1. Old Mac

2. Pacific Dunes

2. Bandon Dunes 

3. Bandon Trails 

x. 
x. 

5. Sheep Ranch 

Thats what I love about asking for ratings like this in this thread - bc mine is the complete opposite.

If I had to rate my Top 5 again I'd rate 4 and leave OM off altogether.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

1 minute ago, mci711 said:

I'll never get the OM hate. One of the best courses in the country, some of the best vantage points. I love it. I don't really do much ranking, more so tiers. All 5 courses are top tier. Hard to differentiate courses that are all great. 

All courses are great, just hate #18 on sheep.

TM Qi10 LS 9° LAGP A-series Low 60 - 5(X) Limited Release

Cobra King Speedzone 14.5° LAGP Tour AXS BLU 70X

TM 2019 P790 3 19° LAGP A-series Low Hybrid 105

TM 2019 P790 4-P LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

TM MG4 50.09° SB 54.11° SB 60.08° LB LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock LAGP TPZ 180 | Titleist 23’ Pro V1x 

3 minutes ago, mci711 said:

I'll never get the OM hate. One of the best courses in the country, some of the best vantage points. I love it. I don't really do much ranking, more so tiers. All 5 courses are top tier. Hard to differentiate courses that are all great. 

Agree, all the courses are great, I have Pacific and Trails a bit higher but love all of them with Old Mac being right up there.  If it wasn't for the middle holes, 10-13, it would be close to the top.  That is probably more a result of me being collectively worse than +1 per hole in that stretch, had several good rounds go to hell in that set of holes.

23 minutes ago, mci711 said:

Any time you can see the ocean from a golf hole all is well in the world...

• Like 3

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

Just got myself a few free flights to Bandon....Signup for a credit card with whatever airline you have easy access to and most of them give you around 60,000 free miles.  A flight for me is about 15,000 miles and that includes a free bag so I am looking at roughly 4 free flights to bandon.....that saves me a ton of money and anyone trying to get out there should def consider doing this to save money

Ping G425 Max Driver - 9*

Ping G425 Max 3-wood 14.5*

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

19 minutes ago, BG5 said:

Just got myself a few free flights to Bandon....Signup for a credit card with whatever airline you have easy access to and most of them give you around 60,000 free miles.  A flight for me is about 15,000 miles and that includes a free bag so I am looking at roughly 4 free flights to bandon.....that saves me a ton of money and anyone trying to get out there should def consider doing this to save money

Nicely done!  I have Alaska and American cards and have been going to Bandon on miles since 2017.  I think the resort needs to start their own loyalty program, a few guys on here would be executive platinum for sure!

6 hours ago, mci711 said:

7th hole is the best hole on the entire property IMO... very much in agreement.

8 minutes ago, BG5 said:

Its kind of weird to me that all of the 18th holes on All 5 courses kind of stink......nothing really sweet about any of them.  With that being said that probably has to do with routing more than anything and heading back to the clubhouse

Bandon is the best of the best but the 18th holes all are weak in my opinion

Trails is kinda cool cause you play back up into the dunes you started in to kinda bookend your round but I agree. 18 Pac and BD both are just a slight let down because the stretch before is so great 18 pac > 18 BD imo

• Like 2

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

I also think 18 PD is probably the best.

For me 18 SR was just a fun hole. 16-17-18 was a fun ending stretch. And thats how I rate the courses. Look, I'm a hack, I'm not...Zac Blair. I dont care if the society of whoevers grandfather's course designers say that a Par 5 has to average 512.8 yards. It was the 18th hdcp hole, its a short 5, I enjoyed it, if others didnt, I get it.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

28 minutes ago, dcmidnight said:

I also think 18 PD is probably the best.

For me 18 SR was just a fun hole. 16-17-18 was a fun ending stretch. And thats how I rate the courses. Look, I'm a hack, I'm not...Zac Blair. I dont care if the society of whoevers grandfather's course designers say that a Par 5 has to average 512.8 yards. It was the 18th hdcp hole, its a short 5, I enjoyed it, if others didnt, I get it.

Had a friend playing in a father/son tournament at Bandon and the last round was at SR. My friend has played SR on several trips and knew 18 was a par 5. Going into 18 they were in the lead and a par would have won the tournament. He lays up, hits the green in what he thought was regulation. Turns out since 18 is so short, in some tournaments at SR they will play it as a par 4. He was unware (including his caddie) and he lagged his birdie putt and tapped in for what he thought was par, which was actually bogey. He ended up losing by 1 stroke lol.

TM Qi10 LS 9° LAGP A-series Low 60 - 5(X) Limited Release

Cobra King Speedzone 14.5° LAGP Tour AXS BLU 70X

TM 2019 P790 3 19° LAGP A-series Low Hybrid 105

TM 2019 P790 4-P LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

TM MG4 50.09° SB 54.11° SB 60.08° LB LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock LAGP TPZ 180 | Titleist 23’ Pro V1x 

I think 18 BD is pretty solid. I think it would be better if you had a better idea off the tee where you were going and with a better view of the ravine. But a finishing par 5 with junk all up the right isn't terrible.

I think 18 Pac is make or break depending on where you can put your tee shot. Most times I've played there have been into the wind, and you're either low of the bunker or have 270+ in, and immediately uphill being below that cross bunker. My most recent time was with no wind and I was able to catch a good one over the bunker and actually have a chance at the green in two. I promptly topped my fairway into the bunker in front of me. Good stuff.

18 Trails I find to be a disappointment. It feels to me like they only had so much land for the hole and had to fit it in. 18 OM I played once in the twilight and in a hurry and it was ok, just kind of weird in that you couldn't see the green, but maybe that just makes it true to Scottish style courses. 18 Sheep was a fine par 4 labeled as a 5.

• Like 1

As mentioned before I think all of the 18th holes are not that good....but if I had to pick one to play over and over again it would be #18 on Bandon Dunes.  I agree that the trouble on the right side is kind of cool.  I just wish all of the 18th holes on all of the courses were a bit more dramatic.

But as mentioned before they were probably working with some of the less than desired ground on those holes.

I did hear Coore & Crenshaw say that they originally had a routing where hole #11 (Volcano Hole) on Sheep Ranch was gonna be their 18th hole because it was so unique.  That would of been pretty cool if they had a routing that made it work

• Like 1

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

19 minutes ago, JNewsted said:

What's a decent 9 holer near the Eugene airport?  I'll have just enough time to squeak that in before catching my flight?  Does not need to be amazing, just want to rip it one last time...

Fiddlers Green has a low budget 18 hole par 3 course very close to the EUG airport. Other than that, there’s the 18 hole Diamond Woods course in Monroe, or the executive-length Oakway Golf Course in Eugene itself, both about 20 minutes from EUG.  Diamond Woods definitely the best course of the three, though not 9 holes and not super close to the airport. If you’re a private club member, I would imagine that a reciprocal at nearby Shadow Hills CC wouldn’t be terribly difficult to arrange. 

Edited by Seamus_MacDuff

4 hours ago, Seamus_MacDuff said:

Fiddlers Green has a low budget 18 hole par 3 course very close to the EUG airport. Other than that, there’s the 18 hole Diamond Woods course in Monroe, or the executive-length Oakway Golf Course in Eugene itself, both about 20 minutes from EUG.  Diamond Woods definitely the best course of the three, though not 9 holes and not super close to the airport. If you’re a private club member, I would imagine that a reciprocal at nearby Shadow Hills CC wouldn’t be terribly difficult to arrange. 

What at Laurelwood?

2 hours ago, mallrat said:

What at Laurelwood?

Laurelwood is 15 miles away from the airport.  I've never played it, but I've heard it's okay for a 9 holes course.  Shadow Hills is much closer (5 miles), but private.  My club has a reciprocal with them, and I think the cost is $19.  I haven't played it, but members of my club rave about it.   

10 hours ago, aiyyer said:

Starting holes - Sheep Ranch by a mile.  Trails seemed cool but we played into the sun early morning and really couldn’t see much in the glare off the dew 

Totally agree with this and its by far the best starting hole at the resort.  Mike Keiser himself said its the best opening hole......The cool thing about that hole is the first time I played it I got an eagle......rarely happens for me as I prob have less than 10 my entire life so to eagle #1 on Sheep Ranch was pretty special and the highlight on my trip.

The funny thing is the next day I eagled #9 on Bandon Dunes so I had two eagles on my first trip to Bandon.....still puts a smile on my face 🙂

• Like 2

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

1 hour ago, BG5 said:

Totally agree with this and its by far the best starting hole at the resort.  Mike Keiser himself said its the best opening hole......The cool thing about that hole is the first time I played it I got an eagle......rarely happens for me as I prob have less than 10 my entire life so to eagle #1 on Sheep Ranch was pretty special and the highlight on my trip.

The funny thing is the next day I eagled #9 on Bandon Dunes so I had two eagles on my first trip to Bandon.....still puts a smile on my face 🙂

The way my upcoming trip and tee times worked out Sheep Ranch #1 will be my first hole ever played at Bandon. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TexasTitleistUser said:

The way my upcoming trip and tee times worked out Sheep Ranch #1 will be my first hole ever played at Bandon. 

Dude...you will love the hole.....After you hit your drive your 2nd shot is one of the best "reveals" on the course.  The approach shot is going into an "infinity green" and it looks like the green sits next to a cliff.  Its an amazing approach and besides # 4 on Bandon Dunes the 2nd best approach shot at the resort.

You are very smart to play Sheep Ranch first.  You get some amazing views (always a great time) but sheep ranch is the easiest course at the resort in my opinion and you can spray the ball around a lot and get confidence in your game prior to playing the other courses.  Id advise anyone to start with Sheep just to get warmed up so when you get to a course like Pac Dunes you are ready to go.

Enjoy it bro!

• Like 2

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19*

Ping G425 4 Hybrid 22*
Ping G710 irons 4-PW 
Ping G710 Wedges 48* 54*
Ping Anser 2 Putter
WITB Link

I will never understand all the love that the first hole at Sheep Ranch gets. Sure, it’s got pretty views of the ocean in the background, but the hole is absolutely and completely devoid of any strategy whatsoever. Ocean views are nice, but far more important to me is how interesting a golf hole plays. 

• Like 1