2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Random Bandon Thread

buzlin

2 hours ago, soregongolfer said:

I feel badly for the folks who are there this week.  The weather is going to ugly.

Was watching the webcams and there was standing water everywhere and two guys teed off at Sheep Ranch. Clicked back on the first tee cam a few minutes later and they were walking back in past the tee. Looked rough.

7 hours ago, TexasTitleistUser said:

Was watching the webcams and there was standing water everywhere and two guys teed off at Sheep Ranch. Clicked back on the first tee cam a few minutes later and they were walking back in past the tee. Looked rough.

The west coast got hammered today with rain.  I'm about 60 miles inland from Bandon.  We're supposed to get snow showers tomorrow.  

On 11/30/2022 at 9:22 AM, graveydellic said:

Man I miss the old Trails End lunch/diner menu.  It was the most unique food on property, sad that it's essentially been grab & go for the last 2+ years.

Have to think the resort is close to peak size, purely based on the staffing issues.  Any more dining and lodging and they'll probably run into more issues that could sacrifice service.  That, or they have to overpay to recruit and retain folks to the area.

Trails End dinner was the coolest, most intimate setting on property.  I only wish that was an option when we're there in February.  

• Like 1

On 11/30/2022 at 10:22 AM, graveydellic said:

Man I miss the old Trails End lunch/diner menu.  It was the most unique food on property, sad that it's essentially been grab & go for the last 2+ years.

Have to think the resort is close to peak size, purely based on the staffing issues.  Any more dining and lodging and they'll probably run into more issues that could sacrifice service.  That, or they have to overpay to recruit and retain folks to the area.

Trails was my favorite place to go when we went in Oct 2020, best menu and most unique food. 

But I agree about the staffing issues, the place can only get so big before they really start to bump into that ceiling. Its not in the kind of place where you can easily add a bunch of new service positions.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P / Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

5 hours ago, TreeHugger73 said:

Do any GPS apps have data for Sheep Ranch? I'm most interested in front/middle/back yardages to the green. I saw the GHIN app has it, but It was $40/year to see yardages to see "enhanced gps" numbers. The Grint does not have it. Are there any others? 

They had it on my Garmin device when I was there in the spring so it should also be on the app.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

On 12/1/2022 at 12:06 PM, dcmidnight said:

Trails was my favorite place to go when we went in Oct 2020, best menu and most unique food. 

But I agree about the staffing issues, the place can only get so big before they really start to bump into that ceiling. Its not in the kind of place where you can easily add a bunch of new service positions.

I drove into Bandon for some Mexican food a couple of nights. Just needed some variety.
They do bring in junior pros/interns from Europe for the pro shops. But probably harder to fill other positions. 

The Chinese restaurant right next to the Dairy Queen in Bandon was really good. We ate there two nights in a row. Food really was awesome and the service was just as good. afterwards, we popped on over to dairy queen for a chocolate malt. People there were super nice also. What a nice little place! Although when I was there this summer I asked what it was like in the winter and the phrase that was most commonly spoken was “it rains sideways.”

$$$$

I am booked for Bandon in October 2023, and I can't wait. For those that play 36 holes in a day (which I would think is quite a few), just wondering how you do it? As in, do you carry your own bag for both rounds? Carry in the morning, push cart in the afternoon? Or do most use caddies? I walk 90% of my rounds at home, but I typically use a push cart. I have read push carts are not ideal for some of the Bandon courses, and I am not sure I want to buck up for caddies for every round. I was thinking about bringing my Ping Moonlite bag to carry, leave a few clubs at home that I don't use very often (or very well), and just go with that. I don't know how I will feel carrying for two rounds in a day, just wondering how most do it? 

Driver: Ping G430 Max

Fairway: Ping G425 Max

Hybrid: Adams Pro Black

Irons (5 to U): Ping I525

Wedges (56, 60): Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth

Putter: Bettinardi BB5

6 minutes ago, mikedejong33 said:

I am booked for Bandon in October 2023, and I can't wait. For those that play 36 holes in a day (which I would think is quite a few), just wondering how you do it? As in, do you carry your own bag for both rounds? Carry in the morning, push cart in the afternoon? Or do most use caddies? I walk 90% of my rounds at home, but I typically use a push cart. I have read push carts are not ideal for some of the Bandon courses, and I am not sure I want to buck up for caddies for every round. I was thinking about bringing my Ping Moonlite bag to carry, leave a few clubs at home that I don't use very often (or very well), and just go with that. I don't know how I will feel carrying for two rounds in a day, just wondering how most do it? 

I carry most of my rounds so I'm used to it. IMO most of the Bandon courses are a relatively flat and an easy walk, without too much in terms of elevation change, the exception being Trails. IIRC BD, Pacific and Sheep are all quite flat, I cannot recall if Old Mac has some hills to climb. If I were you I'd go the push cart route, or spend most of the 2023 season carrying instead of pushing in preparation. I used to push but found my legs getting exhausted pushing up hills, and often carrying simply felt less taxing, but you might be different. The moonlite bag is a great idea, and packing minimally helps as well.

As to the caddie, I'd probably skip that if I were you, unless you want the assistance with targets and playing lines. When you request a caddie you get them for the duration of your trip, so it's not like they have a caddie shed full of people waiting for a random loop like at a club. And if you decide part way through that you don't want them anymore, then they just lost a work opportunity. So it's pretty much all or nothing with them.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, VNutz said:

I carry most of my rounds so I'm used to it. IMO most of the Bandon courses are a relatively flat and an easy walk, without too much in terms of elevation change, the exception being Trails. IIRC BD, Pacific and Sheep are all quite flat, I cannot recall if Old Mac has some hills to climb. If I were you I'd go the push cart route, or spend most of the 2023 season carrying instead of pushing in preparation. I used to push but found my legs getting exhausted pushing up hills, and often carrying simply felt less taxing, but you might be different. The moonlite bag is a great idea, and packing minimally helps as well.

As to the caddie, I'd probably skip that if I were you, unless you want the assistance with targets and playing lines. When you request a caddie you get them for the duration of your trip, so it's not like they have a caddie shed full of people waiting for a random loop like at a club. And if you decide part way through that you don't want them anymore, then they just lost a work opportunity. So it's pretty much all or nothing with them.

Yeah, that is probably the best bet. Carry a few more rounds this upcoming summer in preparation for the trip. I play 36 holes quite often, but rarely will I walk both. Walk in the morning, take a jet for the afternoon round is more typical. But I better get used to it I guess, thanks!

1 hour ago, mikedejong33 said:

I carry my own bag (14 clubs), and I like to change socks and shoes between rounds when playing 36.  A range finder with slope is nice to have too.  

Edited by ws6
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, mikedejong33 said:

Yeah, that is probably the best bet. Carry a few more rounds this upcoming summer in preparation for the trip. I play 36 holes quite often, but rarely will I walk both. Walk in the morning, take a jet for the afternoon round is more typical. But I better get used to it I guess, thanks!

How many 36 hole days are you planning on? I've found my excitement and the adrenaline of being there can carry me through quite easily for a day or two, but if you're trying multiple days in a row of 36 that's a different story.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikedejong33 said:

I carry, used a leather single strap last year, brought my titleist stadry 4 this year. I don't find it that tough, the ground is perfect for walking. You could push on sheep pretty easily, definitely wouldn't push on trails. Good news is you got like 10 months to get in carrying shape.  

• Like 1

M2, maybe
915 FD
913 HD
712u 3
714 AP2 4-p
SM5 53, 59
Circa62

31 minutes ago, VNutz said:

How many 36 hole days are you planning on? I've found my excitement and the adrenaline of being there can carry me through quite easily for a day or two, but if you're trying multiple days in a row of 36 that's a different story.

I shoot for a quality 18 and then hit the bar for happy hour and some appetizers.  I like having time to reflect on the round and ease my way into the evening.  Not a quantity guy...

• Like 1

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

2 hours ago, VNutz said:

We are there for 4 days and 6 or 7 rounds I believe. Two or three 36 hole days. I can certainly do the walking. But yes, I will have to get in better carrying shape!

Trails definitely has the most elevation gain/loss and a couple gnarly trails between holes, plus the short shuttle ride up the hill from 13 to 14, which is a bit tricky with a push cart (you're riding and holding on to your cart), but it's not that big of a deal.

OM has a few significant hills to climb, but they are relatively short.  BD and PD each have a couple climbs, but nothing too strenuous.  SR is the easiest walk. 

Standard push carts like ClicGear's work fine.  They also have the big RikSha two-wheelers available for $5.  I drive down, so I take my cart for most morning rounds.  I sometimes play the afternoon rounds with a half set in a light carry bag, just for fun.

• Like 1

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Just got a call from the resort saying a golf single opened up in the lodge for my trip in a couple weeks.  I was booked to stay at Lily Pond, but as a single I'll take the $90 a night savings.  I may miss the outdoor seating at Lily, but I've never stayed at the lodge so hopefully it's a good experience.  Close to the action never hurts! 

24 minutes ago, graveydellic said:

Just got a call from the resort saying a golf single opened up in the lodge for my trip in a couple weeks.  I was booked to stay at Lily Pond, but as a single I'll take the $90 a night savings.  I may miss the outdoor seating at Lily, but I've never stayed at the lodge so hopefully it's a good experience.  Close to the action never hurts! 

I stayed in a golf single once, on the ocean side, overlooking the practice putting green and first tee.  It's great!  Hell, you can even walk downstairs in your socks and hang out in the lobby.  Get a cocktail.  Who needs to go outside... you've been outside all day.

Bandon newb here.  Finally got a reservation for our foursome... for August, 2024.  600 and some days away.

These are the tee times we have booked.  Would like to know what I should modify (if the mods are available of course).

Day 1 - Bandon Dunes @ 9:30am

Day 2 - Pacific Dunes @ 9:50am and Old Mac @ 3:30pm
Day 3 - Preserve @ 9:30am and Bandon Trails @ 1:10pm

Day 4 - Sheep Ranch @ 9:30am with replay @ 3:30pm
Day 5 - Old Mac @ 9:50am

"Obviously you're not a golfer." ~ The Dude
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it
." ~ Ferris Bueller
"The only thing a golfer needs is more daylight." ~ Ben Hogan

Woods:    Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5* (D,-1) - VA Composites Slay 65 Four | Callaway Rogue ST Max 15* 3W - Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 70S | Callaway Rogue ST Max 20* HeavenWood - Aldila Rogue White 130MSI 70S

Irons:      Artisan FC 4-P - Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff | Mizuno MX-20 4-P DG300S (when I am not getting along with the Artisans)

Wedges:  Artisan 50*, 54*, 58* - DG300S

Putter:     Artisan 0920 long plumbers neck - 360g, 34.25", 3* loft, 66.5* lie | Artisan 0220 long plumbers neck - 360g, 34.25", 3* loft, 66.5* lie

Ball:         Titleist Pro V1 | Bridgestone Tour B X

1 hour ago, Maroon_19 said:

Bandon newb here.  Finally got a reservation for our foursome... for August, 2024.  600 and some days away.

These are the tee times we have booked.  Would like to know what I should modify (if the mods are available of course).

From my point of view I applaud you for allowing time for a relaxed breakfast.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maroon_19 said:

As a first timer that looks good.

You're going to play all the courses so you can join the never ending "which is my favourite course" discussions.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

2 hours ago, Maroon_19 said:

Might flop the order for preserve and trails on Day 3, as trails is a decent hike. Looks like a great week.

• Like 1

TM Qi10 LS 9° LAGP A-series Low 60 - 5(X) Limited Release

Cobra King Speedzone 14.5° LAGP Tour AXS BLU 70X

TM 2019 P790 3 19° LAGP A-series Low Hybrid 105

TM 2019 P790 4-P LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

TM MG4 50.09° SB 54.11° SB 60.08° LB LAGP L-series 120i - 5(X)

SIK Pro C-Series Armlock LAGP TPZ 180 | Titleist 23’ Pro V1x 

8 hours ago, Maroon_19 said:

would do Preserve in Day 2 afternoon and Old Mac Day 3 morning.  OM windy afternoons are much tougher.

and agree...finish with Bandon - 2 rounds at Bandon is, imo, much better.

• Like 1