2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Random Bandon Thread

buzlin

59 minutes ago, aiyyer said:

Asking the experts. With 4 days out, time to take the forecast seriously? Will take partly cloudy and cool to rainy, cold and windy!

Absolutely. I use Weather Underground for Bandon and they nailed the forecast for my last visit.

On my last trip my first day was forecast for lots of rain and wind so I rescheduled one of my rounds to the following day. Sure enough, day 1 was nasty and day 2 was perfect.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Heading out in 4 days for a trip as well. I need a few clubs regripped when I get there. We’re staying in town for the first 2 nights then first round Sunday. I was looking for golf shops who could do it and I noticed Bandon Golf Supply is permanently closed. Are there any other shops in town? Or does the resort do it?

Callaway Epic SZ 9* GD Tour AD TP 6X
Titleist 915 Fd 15* Aldila Rogue Black 80 S
Titleist 909h 19* Aldila Voodoo S
Mizuno MP 18 4-6 SC 7-P MB KBS Tour 120 S
Titleist Vokey SM7 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron California Monterey 1.5, Toulon Las Vegas H7

11 hours ago, 10&8 said:

Heading out in 4 days for a trip as well. I need a few clubs regripped when I get there. We’re staying in town for the first 2 nights then first round Sunday. I was looking for golf shops who could do it and I noticed Bandon Golf Supply is permanently closed. Are there any other shops in town? Or does the resort do it?

The town of Bandon is quite small and I'd assume they don't have a golf shop. You'd probably be best calling the course and asking if one of the pros can handle it for you. I've not seen anything there that gave me the impression they offered this service, or had grips for sale. Their shops revolve primarily around clothing and gear. I think the Bandon Dunes shop has some clubs, but I don't recall seeing grips ever. I'm sure there's an individual in the area with the know how, but connecting with them could be key. Maybe even give Bandon Crossings a call if you have access to transportation.

• Thanks 1

That's awesome jvincent, congrats! We did it the last 2 years but I got waitlisted this morning. I was through the signup in 3 minutes again this year but it wasn't fast enough. Feel really fortunate to have gone the last 2 years, it's a one of a kind event and you will love it.

Thats great @jvincent congrats!  We are not going next year. I hate to miss it but we have a 16 person guys trip British Open weekend at Bandon and there is no way I can convince my family to go to Bandon twice in 4 weeks from East Coast.

If anyone wants to do Solstice in style, I do have the Golf Suite booked for the event. I am sure I can transfer it. It's not cheap but it has the patio right over the 1st tee. 

23 hours ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Funny.  Better yet, once you are in it you will know what the weather is...

Reminds me of this:

Table-driven programming and the weather forecasting stone : Global Nerdy

23 hours ago, jvincent said:

Absolutely. I use Weather Underground for Bandon and they nailed the forecast for my last visit.

On my last trip my first day was forecast for lots of rain and wind so I rescheduled one of my rounds to the following day. Sure enough, day 1 was nasty and day 2 was perfect.

Agreed. I use Weather Underground for forecasts. Then Ventusky when I want something closer. Then Wind Compass can sometimes be useful when you are actually on course.

• Haha 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

1 hour ago, jvincent said:

Well, after many years of trying, I was finally able to get into the Solstice for next year. Woot!

awesome, congrats. Logged on at 8 sharp but forgot my password so I had to do the whole reset thing and by the time I hit submit (8:05) I was waitlisted. 

I did sign up for 4 but wondering if I have a better shot if I drop it down to a 2 some. The other 2 are on the fence anyways so if doing a 2 improves my chances I’ll do that.

Hope I get lucky enough to see you there next year  

Titleist TR2 - Graphite design DI

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Odyssey #7 CH

15 hours ago, 10&8 said:

If your travel plans include going through Eugene, try Fiddlers Green. They might be able to do a few real quick on the way.

27 minutes ago, Edaw68 said:

If your travel plans include going through Eugene, try Fiddlers Green. They might be able to do a few real quick on the way.

I am flying into Eugene, and Fiddler’s Green is a great shop…..unfortunately my clubs are already at the resort via Ship Sticks. I also reached out to my caddie and he may find someone to do them for me. 

Callaway Epic SZ 9* GD Tour AD TP 6X
Titleist 915 Fd 15* Aldila Rogue Black 80 S
Titleist 909h 19* Aldila Voodoo S
Mizuno MP 18 4-6 SC 7-P MB KBS Tour 120 S
Titleist Vokey SM7 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron California Monterey 1.5, Toulon Las Vegas H7

1 hour ago, sbjinx said:

awesome, congrats. Logged on at 8 sharp but forgot my password so I had to do the whole reset thing and by the time I hit submit (8:05) I was waitlisted. 

I did sign up for 4 but wondering if I have a better shot if I drop it down to a 2 some. The other 2 are on the fence anyways so if doing a 2 improves my chances I’ll do that.

Hope I get lucky enough to see you there next year  

I've been waitlisted as a twosome for each of the last few years and never got in. Good luck.

18 hours ago, 10&8 said:

I got back 10 days ago. I got my putter regripped at the Bandon shop. They had a few grips for irons, but the selection was small. 

I would call the shop and see if they have grips that you want. If they don't have it, I would call and ask them what the charge would be to put grips on and if you are ok with the cost. If they will do it and you are ok with the cost, I would look at shipping grips directly to the club and dropping your clubs off. 

They were busy in the shop when I went in to ask the first time and they told me they wouldn't be able to do it until the evening, so if you want to get them re-gripped there, give yourself plenty of time. I came by the next morning, dropped my putter off at 7:00 am when they opened and it was ready after I showered and was going to breakfast. 

12 hours ago, MileHighGuye said:

Waitlist here. Super bummed. Have been training for it and didn’t get in. 

Sorry to hear that MileHighGuye, I was fortunate to get in the last 2 years (after several failed attempts) but was similarly waitlisted this year.  Was done in 2-3 minutes but not fast enough.  It's tough, really only the first 30 people will get through and the resort itself is booking out nearly 2 years which makes the Solstice event even more attractive than it already was. The process is about as fair as it can be.  They could run a "Solstice" every Tuesday in June and fill them all up and get everyone through 72 before dark, but I'm sure it's not a money maker compared to regular high season play.  It's a special event, keep trying and you will get in eventually.  Congrats to jvincent and those who got in!

16 minutes ago, Slippin_Jimmy said:

Sorry to hear that MileHighGuye, I was fortunate to get in the last 2 years (after several failed attempts) but was similarly waitlisted this year.  Was done in 2-3 minutes but not fast enough.  It's tough, really only the first 30 people will get through and the resort itself is booking out nearly 2 years which makes the Solstice event even more attractive than it already was. The process is about as fair as it can be.  They could run a "Solstice" every Tuesday in June and fill them all up and get everyone through 72 before dark, but I'm sure it's not a money maker compared to regular high season play.  It's a special event, keep trying and you will get in eventually.  Congrats to jvincent and those who got in!

Here's a thought. You guys that got in on the "Solstice"  and played your 72 holes, and had that wonderful experience... why not think about stepping aside and letting others get that experience for the first time?

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

3 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Here's a thought. You guys that got in on the "Solstice"  and played your 72 holes, and had that wonderful experience... why not think about stepping aside and letting others get that experience for the first time?

I hear you, man. If the resort wanted to make it a "one & done" and you could only do it once, there would be zero complaint from me. But I don't feel it's on us, the customers, to make that choice. I enjoy the event and I never had any advantage over anyone else trying to get in.  They used to grandfather in the original Solstice attendees every year and they wisely (IMO anyway) ended that.

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

I will definitely be a one and done. I'll be 57 next year and while I won't have any issues with the walk (did 36 holes 3 days in a row this spring at Bandon) it's not going to get any easier.

On a related note, when I called to see about adding a couple of days at the resort on either end of the Solstice I got a small chuckle from the girl at reservations. Booked solid. I'm on the waitlist for lodging but once me and my partner sort out our itinerary I'm sure we'll probably just AirBnB it for a few days.

I did get my day before tee time at Sheep Ranch booked though. Easiest walk on the property and we'll be finished in plenty of time for the check-in / reception.

1 hour ago, Slippin_Jimmy said:

I hear you, man. If the resort wanted to make it a "one & done" and you could only do it once, there would be zero complaint from me. But I don't feel it's on us, the customers, to make that choice. I enjoy the event and I never had any advantage over anyone else trying to get in.  They used to grandfather in the original Solstice attendees every year and they wisely (IMO anyway) ended that.

Agreed.

If the resort was really concerned about fairness they could always give people 24 hours to signup for a lottery and then draw names. As it is, it seems like its just a race to see who can get through the computer hoops the fastest.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P / Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

Tried searching for this answer but lots of results came up that didn't address it.

Juggling our tee times for June 2022. If we were to play our first round of the day on the Preserve, would our second round of the day on a full 18 course be at the full rate or at the second round replay rate? Then would the third round still be free?

Thanks!

[sign here]

13 minutes ago, italianstallion said:

Tried searching for this answer but lots of results came up that didn't address it.

Juggling our tee times for June 2022. If we were to play our first round of the day on the Preserve, would our second round of the day on a full 18 course be at the full rate or at the second round replay rate? Then would the third round still be free?

Thanks!

No. People have done that in years past but it's no longer allowed. If you go to Golf > Green Fees on the website, there's a note that says "Replay rates do not apply to the Bandon Preserve golf course."

• Like 1

WITB

TaylorMade M5 (10.5) Graphite Design Tour AD GP 6 S

Callaway Rogue ST MAX (15) Graphite Design Tour AD F-75 S

Ping G425 (19) Mitsubishi TENSEI CK Pro Orange Hybrid 80 S

Mizuno MP-53 (4-PW, 22-46) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Titleist Vokey SM9 (50.12 F, 54.10 S @ 55, 60.10 S) Nippon Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 S

Edel McKenzie (35)

7 hours ago, jackbauer said:

No. People have done that in years past but it's no longer allowed. If you go to Golf > Green Fees on the website, there's a note that says "Replay rates do not apply to the Bandon Preserve golf course."

However, I do believe your 3rd round is free regardless of which courses you play.  So if you play 3 rounds in a day and Preserve is one of them, it will be free.  At least that is what phone reservations told me about my upcoming trip.  If you play Preserve in the middle with a full 18 before and After, Preserve is still the free one.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, miss0033 said:

However, I do believe your 3rd round is free regardless of which courses you play.  So if you play 3 rounds in a day and Preserve is one of them, it will be free.  At least that is what phone reservations told me about my upcoming trip.  If you play Preserve in the middle with a full 18 before and After, Preserve is still the free one.

My experience a few months ago was slightly different.  One day played Pacific first, full price.  Played preserve as middle round, full price.   Afternoon round on Old Mac was free.

I think generally, preserve will either be full price or free if it's the third round.  Also can't play preserve first and then expect replay rates (50% and free) for the rest of the day.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jrg75 said:

My experience a few months ago was slightly different.  One day played Pacific first, full price.  Played preserve as middle round, full price.   Afternoon round on Old Mac was free.

I think generally, preserve will either be full price or free if it's the third round.  Also can't play preserve first and then expect replay rates (50% and free) for the rest of the day.

Thanks for the insights. I called Bandon yesterday and the reservation agent said that preserve and the second round would be full price, but third round free. I’ll call again today and clarify for a full understanding and then report back. It’s a little grey area because not many people strike out first thing in the morning to play the Preserve. 

[sign here]