Koepka: Majors are sometimes easiest to win

new2g0lf

> @legitimategolf said:

> > @" SwooshLT" said:

> > > @legitimategolf said:

> > > Brooks Koepka is a pretty interesting* case because despite his domination of the golf, he still has very little appeal. Not to say that he doesn't have any fans, or isn't a cool dude. But you cannot imagine any other player winning majors at this rate and not moving the needle. Rickie Fowler winning a single major would probably get more attention than Brooks Koepka winning 4, 5, 6 or whatever.

> > >

> > > In that sense Brooks Koepka is re-writing the book on golf and success. He is winning all these major titles, while not really winning regular tour events, and not really winning much popularity either.

> > >

> > > *in theory

> >

> > Golf's version of Ivan Lendl......

>

> Lendl had a personality, sort of.

Completely robotic......but like said in another thread, maybe he has found his niche by NOT being invested in the moment with a pure "I don't care" mentality.....I'm guessing but seems that way....doesn't get faze by much

> @cdnglf said:

> > @MMB1500 said:

> > > @" SwooshLT" said:

> > > > @redfirebird08 said:

> > > > > @DatSliceDoe said:

> > > > > Brooks mentality baffles me. He doesn't seem to "try" in regular tour stops, so why even play them? Take the Tiger approach, play four regular stops a year, and four majors. Then again, he's a linebacker, so he can play week in and week out without any issues.

> > > >

> > > > Why play them? So you don't show up to a major with a ton of rust like we just saw with Tiger this week. Brooks got himself into contention last weekend at a regular event, but didn't expend too much energy trying to win the thing. Top 5 finish and good preparation for the big show this week. It's paying off very well for him now.

> > >

> > > Can't please'em.....you win majors, "why don't you play well in regular events" .....you don't win majors but regular events; "yeah but you don't or can't do it when it counts" ......ugh

> >

> > This.

>

> "Can’t win the Canadian Open"

> "Can’t win at Riviera"

So Brooks has something in common with Jack Nicklaus? Who knew? It's funny the criticism that gets thrown at BK. There is a part of WRX that claims that majors are all that matters. So if BK closes it out tomorrow he has 4 majors in 6 PGA Tour wins. That's bad how? But now we have a part of WRX whining he doesn't win enough other events on the PGA Tour. How about everybody just relax and let his career play out. He is in his 5th full season as a PGA Tour member. Many here act like his career outside of majors is awful. If one actually takes the time and looks at his numbers they will find out his numbers are pretty f'ing good.

> @bspn said:

> Yesterday's 'Live From' was entertaining, partly for Chamblee doubling down on his Brooks take, but also for the collective look of disbelief from the panel at BK's claim that double-digit major wins was possible and how quickly they all railed on him given that the likes of Watson, Mickelson, Player et al hadn't broken through that barrier in their hall of fame careers.

>

> I think playing with Tiger will be an interesting test of BK's mental fortitude. It's one thing to, as he describes it, hang around and let others fall vs playing in the washing machine that is a New York Tiger gallery.

Yep, Tiger really took it to him didn't he?

> @" SwooshLT" said:

> > @redfirebird08 said:

> > > @DatSliceDoe said:

> > > Brooks mentality baffles me. He doesn't seem to "try" in regular tour stops, so why even play them? Take the Tiger approach, play four regular stops a year, and four majors. Then again, he's a linebacker, so he can play week in and week out without any issues.

> >

> > Why play them? So you don't show up to a major with a ton of rust like we just saw with Tiger this week. Brooks got himself into contention last weekend at a regular event, but didn't expend too much energy trying to win the thing. Top 5 finish and good preparation for the big show this week. It's paying off very well for him now.

>

> Can't please'em.....you win majors, "why don't you play well in regular events" .....you don't win majors but regular events; "yeah but you don't or can't do it when it counts" ......ugh

Agreed. Typical uninformed WRX babble. Lots of people talking out of both sides of their mouth when it comes to Brooks.

• Like 1

> @golfer07840 said:

> > @bspn said:

> > Yesterday's 'Live From' was entertaining, partly for Chamblee doubling down on his Brooks take, but also for the collective look of disbelief from the panel at BK's claim that double-digit major wins was possible and how quickly they all railed on him given that the likes of Watson, Mickelson, Player et al hadn't broken through that barrier in their hall of fame careers.

> >

> > I think playing with Tiger will be an interesting test of BK's mental fortitude. It's one thing to, as he describes it, hang around and let others fall vs playing in the washing machine that is a New York Tiger gallery.

>

> Yep, Tiger really took it to him didn't he?

Three times Brooks has had to deal with the Tiger Effect. PGA last year where no one wanted him to win over Tiger. Masters coming down the stretch - just missing birdie putts on 17 and 18, only guy to bounce back after dunking a ball on 12 in the last three groups 4/6 guys dunked a ball. Then in the first two rounds this year at the PGA. Brooks doesnt really flinch, its extremely impressive when you look at what some other guys do when paired with Tiger. Rory usually implodes, Ricky has a few highlights but a lot of lows, Molinari seemed to lose a bit of control and compure when it matter at The Masters but kept it together at the Open with a Tiger who was going in the wrong direction.

> @grm24 said:

> > @cdnglf said:

> > > @MMB1500 said:

> > > > @" SwooshLT" said:

> > > > > @redfirebird08 said:

> > > > > > @DatSliceDoe said:

> > > > > > Brooks mentality baffles me. He doesn't seem to "try" in regular tour stops, so why even play them? Take the Tiger approach, play four regular stops a year, and four majors. Then again, he's a linebacker, so he can play week in and week out without any issues.

> > > > >

> > > > > Why play them? So you don't show up to a major with a ton of rust like we just saw with Tiger this week. Brooks got himself into contention last weekend at a regular event, but didn't expend too much energy trying to win the thing. Top 5 finish and good preparation for the big show this week. It's paying off very well for him now.

> > > >

> > > > Can't please'em.....you win majors, "why don't you play well in regular events" .....you don't win majors but regular events; "yeah but you don't or can't do it when it counts" ......ugh

> > >

> > > This.

> >

> > "Can’t win the Canadian Open"

> > "Can’t win at Riviera"

>

> So Brooks has something in common with Jack Nicklaus? Who knew? It's funny the criticism that gets thrown at BK. There is a part of WRX that claims that majors are all that matters. So if BK closes it out tomorrow he has 4 majors in 6 PGA Tour wins. That's bad how? But now we have a part of WRX whining he doesn't win enough other events on the PGA Tour. How about everybody just relax and let his career play out. He is in his 5th full season as a PGA Tour member. Many here act like his career outside of majors is awful. If one actually takes the time and looks at his numbers they will find out his numbers are pretty f'ing good.

Yup. For example, he made the Ryder Cup in 2016, being ranked 6th on that points list, before he had won a major

• Like 1

Yeah, Tiger definitely was loved by many at the offset, but I also remember there being quite a few voices(mainly those wanting to protect Jack's legacy as the goat from those anointing Tiger too soon in their estimation) that did not cozy up to Tiger right away. They came around. BK will never be Tiger, but people will warm up to him much more so if he continues to win. His personality will just cause that to take a lot longer.

> @tiderider said:

> > @L29 said:

> > > @legitimategolf said:

> > > Brooks Koepka is a pretty interesting* case because despite his domination of the golf, he still has very little appeal. Not to say that he doesn't have any fans, or isn't a cool dude. But you cannot imagine any other player winning majors at this rate and not moving the needle. Rickie Fowler winning a single major would probably get more attention than Brooks Koepka winning 4, 5, 6 or whatever.

> > >

> > > In that sense Brooks Koepka is re-writing the book on golf and success. He is winning all these major titles, while not really winning regular tour events, and not really winning much popularity either.

> > >

> > > *in theory

> >

> > It is kind of an interesting phenomenon. If he keeps winning though I think he will eventually be beloved by the masses at some point. He's a guy that it will just take longer to get to know on some level due to his subdued personality, etc. For various reasons Jack and Tiger were not liked by lots of folks when they first came on scene either. There are definitely lots of golf fans that are hard to please early when you're the new great golfer in town. If he keeps winning though, everyone will get to know him a little better and most will eventually come around.

> >

>

> your recollection is different from mine ... tiger was a hit the minute he started winning ...

> @legitimategolf said:

> It works great for him but I am not buying any of Brooks'ses' schtick. I do not believe for a second that he is bored by golf, or thinks majors are easy to win. All schtick if you ask me.

I agree, just psychological warfare on the field. You dont get to that level without a burning desire to be the best.

• Like 1

Koepka is my hero! Koepka doesn’t care what people think about him and he’s not afraid of letting people know.

He reminds me of Sgt. Barnes in the movie Platoon. “The only thing that can kill Barnes, is Barnes”.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

> @" SwooshLT" said:

> > @RickKimbrell said:

> > I got a good laugh yesterday. Played in a tournament and was in the pro shop doing check-in yesterday AM. The pro overheard someone say their pick for the PGA was Koepka. The pro said, "Koepka has no chance at Bethpage". I asked why. His comment back at me was "Have you ever played Bethpage? You must hit your irons very high and have great distance control to win on that golf course and that simply puts Koepka at a disadvantage." I went back in after the round and asked him what he thought about Koepka's chances now. He laughed and said "well, I have been wrong before!". I had a really good laugh with him and we both agreed there was a lot of golf yet to be played.

>

> Does your friend even watch golf? Kinda asinine statement to make about a guy with 3 almost 4 majors ....

> Lacking control?

>

> Regardless of his blandness, the guy is a machine! He has recognized the best way to grind out major wins ; either shootouts or even par events , he has it figured.......I think it's awesome to watch someone in complete control and THEN do it multiple times! Can we call him THOR ?

He don't be my friend. :) Assistant pro at a daily fee course near Houston. It was fun to walk back in there and confront him about his statement.

• Like 1

> @Tasals said:

> > @golfer07840 said:

> > > @bspn said:

> > > Yesterday's 'Live From' was entertaining, partly for Chamblee doubling down on his Brooks take, but also for the collective look of disbelief from the panel at BK's claim that double-digit major wins was possible and how quickly they all railed on him given that the likes of Watson, Mickelson, Player et al hadn't broken through that barrier in their hall of fame careers.

> > >

> > > I think playing with Tiger will be an interesting test of BK's mental fortitude. It's one thing to, as he describes it, hang around and let others fall vs playing in the washing machine that is a New York Tiger gallery.

> >

> > Yep, Tiger really took it to him didn't he?

>

> Three times Brooks has had to deal with the Tiger Effect. PGA last year where no one wanted him to win over Tiger. Masters coming down the stretch - just missing birdie putts on 17 and 18, only guy to bounce back after dunking a ball on 12 in the last three groups 4/6 guys dunked a ball. Then in the first two rounds this year at the PGA. Brooks doesnt really flinch, its extremely impressive when you look at what some other guys do when paired with Tiger. Rory usually implodes, Ricky has a few highlights but a lot of lows, Molinari seemed to lose a bit of control and compure when it matter at The Masters but kept it together at the Open with a Tiger who was going in the wrong direction.

Yeah but some dude on the TV named Brandel who wears a suit worth more than my car said Brooks isn't tough.

• Like 1

> @hell_is_chrome said:

> > @Tasals said:

> > > @golfer07840 said:

> > > > @bspn said:

> > > > Yesterday's 'Live From' was entertaining, partly for Chamblee doubling down on his Brooks take, but also for the collective look of disbelief from the panel at BK's claim that double-digit major wins was possible and how quickly they all railed on him given that the likes of Watson, Mickelson, Player et al hadn't broken through that barrier in their hall of fame careers.

> > > >

> > > > I think playing with Tiger will be an interesting test of BK's mental fortitude. It's one thing to, as he describes it, hang around and let others fall vs playing in the washing machine that is a New York Tiger gallery.

> > >

> > > Yep, Tiger really took it to him didn't he?

> >

> > Three times Brooks has had to deal with the Tiger Effect. PGA last year where no one wanted him to win over Tiger. Masters coming down the stretch - just missing birdie putts on 17 and 18, only guy to bounce back after dunking a ball on 12 in the last three groups 4/6 guys dunked a ball. Then in the first two rounds this year at the PGA. Brooks doesnt really flinch, its extremely impressive when you look at what some other guys do when paired with Tiger. Rory usually implodes, Ricky has a few highlights but a lot of lows, Molinari seemed to lose a bit of control and compure when it matter at The Masters but kept it together at the Open with a Tiger who was going in the wrong direction.

>

> Yeah but some dude on the TV named Brandel who wears a suit worth more than my car said Brooks isn't tough.

...and Brooks was listening to it enough that he brought it up in the post win interview.

I liked Brandel's comment after (I think) round 1 when he said "I felt like he was giving me the finger for 4.5 hours out there today". Yes, Brandel, he was.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

It's mad that Koepka is the player with 4 majors when you consider everyone's position 5 years ago. Koepka looked to have star potential, but I sort of saw him as a 1 major/10 tournament win guy.

Koepka is basically the player I thought Jason Day was going to be. Day seemed to have no weaknesses for a while and I thought he'd win multiple majors. He has been pretty disappointing in the last 2-3 years. Not sure he has the drive though, seems happy enough to be a family man and lots of injuries. Spieth has more doubts now but is still in good shape with 3 majors at 25. No other top player has fallen as far in the rankings as him though. Johnson has been every bit as good as expected, even better, in regular tournaments but 1 major in underachieving. To say that Rory would have no major in 5 years would have been astonishing in 2014. I would have also been very surprised that Rickie didn't pick one off. Justin Thomas also threatened to pick up a few more majors than he did.

They're all great players but I never thought there would be a time where Koepka would be considered superior. McIlroy still has a better CV and Spieth still is better trajectory considering his age, but there's no doubt who the best golfer in the world is now.

Great win and it came down to the wire. Congratulations to Koepka! By the way, Brandel Chamblee continues to look like a fool! He was the only idiot at GC who didn’t think Koepka could win.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

> @Dave230 said:

> It's mad that Koepka is the player with 4 majors when you consider everyone's position 5 years ago. Koepka looked to have star potential, but I sort of saw him as a 1 major/10 tournament win guy.

>

> Koepka is basically the player I thought Jason Day was going to be. Day seemed to have no weaknesses for a while and I thought he'd win multiple majors. He has been pretty disappointing in the last 2-3 years. Not sure he has the drive though, seems happy enough to be a family man and lots of injuries. Spieth has more doubts now but is still in good shape with 3 majors at 25. No other top player has fallen as far in the rankings as him though. Johnson has been every bit as good as expected, even better, in regular tournaments but 1 major in underachieving. To say that Rory would have no major in 5 years would have been astonishing in 2014. I would have also been very surprised that Rickie didn't pick one off. Justin Thomas also threatened to pick up a few more majors than he did.

>

> They're all great players but I never thought there would be a time where Koepka would be considered superior. McIlroy still has a better CV and Spieth still is better trajectory considering his age, but there's no doubt who the best golfer in the world is now.

Yeah, everytime some guy (star) wins the first one the predictions come on how many he's going to win. No doubt that some of the numbers thrown around are silly / just in the moment. But a lot of the guys you'd think would win again are still stuck on #1.

Can't recall anyone thinking Brooks was going to do a lot after the 2017 US Open. Maybe not even after the 2018 US Open. Now, pretty much everyone thinks he's for real - will be interesting to see if he can keep it up or if he runs into a wall (for whatever reason).

> @mocokid said:

> Injury my friend, with the modern game, it's all out every shot, these guys are going to have shorter careers.

Yep. It’s only natural, too. It takes more to compete these days.

All sorts of sports require their athletes to sacrifice their bodies for short term peak performance, as that’s what it takes to get to the show in the first place.

As golf develops, it shall be no different.

> @Tasals said:

> > @golfer07840 said:

> > > @bspn said:

> > > Yesterday's 'Live From' was entertaining, partly for Chamblee doubling down on his Brooks take, but also for the collective look of disbelief from the panel at BK's claim that double-digit major wins was possible and how quickly they all railed on him given that the likes of Watson, Mickelson, Player et al hadn't broken through that barrier in their hall of fame careers.

> > >

> > > I think playing with Tiger will be an interesting test of BK's mental fortitude. It's one thing to, as he describes it, hang around and let others fall vs playing in the washing machine that is a New York Tiger gallery.

> >

> > Yep, Tiger really took it to him didn't he?

>

> Three times Brooks has had to deal with the Tiger Effect. PGA last year where no one wanted him to win over Tiger. Masters coming down the stretch - just missing birdie putts on 17 and 18, only guy to bounce back after dunking a ball on 12 in the last three groups 4/6 guys dunked a ball. Then in the first two rounds this year at the PGA. Brooks doesnt really flinch, its extremely impressive when you look at what some other guys do when paired with Tiger. Rory usually implodes, Ricky has a few highlights but a lot of lows, Molinari seemed to lose a bit of control and compure when it matter at The Masters but kept it together at the Open with a Tiger who was going in the wrong direction.

Molinari is the one who could not afford what happened at the Masters. Koepka had no battle scars coming out of that. But Molinari would be better off if he never contended at Augusta this year at all. I think I mentioned that in the Masters thread. When a later blooming player like that has a string of success and is playing at peak confidence, the last think he needs is an infusion of doubt. It wasn't going to be a 3-4 year run anyway. That type of player can only sustain for so long. I'll be surprised if Molinari returns to the level he displayed prior to the final round at Augusta. Perhaps in limited doses.

Winning majors IS hard, no matter what Brooks says. That's what makes his current run so impressive, there has been a number of guys who after winning they're first major had numerous close calls and could've posted a run like this but didn't. The fact he can close them out is impressive and something we shouldn't take for granted.

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

His comments were validated to an extent though, how many guys had a realistic chance to win on the final day or even over the weekend. His numbers theory will more often than not be true. Of course one still has to play high quality golf to take advantage of that opportunity.

[size=2]Titleist 910D3 8.5°
TaylorMade M3 15°
Titleist CB (710) 3-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Chrome 54° S Grind & 58° C Grind
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2
Titleist Pro V 1x[/size]

> @bscinstnct said:

> **“I don’t see why you can’t get to double digits,"** Koepka said, eyeing a total that has been reached by only three players in the history of the game. “I think one of the big things that I’ve learned over the last few years is you don’t need to win it, you don’t have to try to go win it. Just hang around. If you hang around, good things are going to happen.”

>

> https://www.golfchannel.com/news/brooks-koepka-dismisses-half-pga-championship-field-explains-why-majors-are-easiest-win

>

>

> @bscinstnct said:

> **“I don’t see why you can’t get to double digits,"** Koepka said, eyeing a total that has been reached by only three players in the history of the game. “I think one of the big things that I’ve learned over the last few years is you don’t need to win it, you don’t have to try to go win it. Just hang around. If you hang around, good things are going to happen.”

>

> https://www.golfchannel.com/news/brooks-koepka-dismisses-half-pga-championship-field-explains-why-majors-are-easiest-win

>

>

He should have taken his own advice on 12 at Augusta. Tiger played safe and let the rest go flag hunting, dunk it in the creek, and all have double to give Tiger his 2 shot buffer teeing off on 18.

It's hard to believe that if Koepka had won the Masters like he really should have, he would now own 4 consecutive majors.

It may sound crazy, but on the evidence of the last 2 years is hard to imagine him NOT getting double digit majors. He's still no tiger and never will be overall record wise, but he seems to have cracked the code of how to perform at peak capacity in majors, and Koepka's peak capacity is the best since prime Tiger.

• Like 1