2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Would you game a putter you didn’t like the look of?

ChrisT

> @MaineMariner said:

> I recently bought the Evnroll Tour Stroke as I had been messing around with it at Golf Galaxy for months. I bought it as a training aid, but I'll be damned if I'm not just absolutely draining putts with this thing. It feels ridiculously stable when used in the "play" mode, as Evnroll calls it.

>

What exactly is different about the "play" mode? I tried this putter in store and liked it as well.

> @gscott7 said:

> > @MaineMariner said:

> > I recently bought the Evnroll Tour Stroke as I had been messing around with it at Golf Galaxy for months. I bought it as a training aid, but I'll be damned if I'm not just absolutely draining putts with this thing. It feels ridiculously stable when used in the "play" mode, as Evnroll calls it.

> >

> What exactly is different about the "play" mode? I tried this putter in store and liked it as well.

>

>

Evnroll recommends that, when you're practicing your stroke, you should place the clubhead about an inch or two behind the ball so that the shaft basically points at the back of the ball. When you're using the putter as an actual putter, what they refer to as "play mode", they recommend putting the putter head right behind your ball (or however you'd usually set up).

There's a good video on Be Better Golf's YouTube channel with Guerin Rife that explains the concept.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Odyssey White Hot Versa #1

> @03trdblack said:

> Directed force putter. I won this in a drawing and it looks like a branding iron but man does it just swing itself. You really can't make it twist the face unless you just have some crazy nervous tick or something. I emailed the company to see if they could make a "mini" version of it so that it would be a little more pleasing behind the ball but they said no.

They have a blade version out now that you may want to check out.

• Like 1

F9 9.5* at 8* Hazardous Red 13* F7 19* Callaway XR Hybrid 4-GW Mizuno HM Pros 55* Mizuno S5 60* Mizuno S5 STX Sync 3 45" Snell MTB Yellow

> @ChrisT said:

> Let’s assume for the discussion that price is not a factor.

> If you went to a putter fitting and were told the ugliest putter in the lab was best for you. Would you buy it ? Or go with the one you really like the look of and make adjustments/ compensations and learn to putt with it?

I would never "game" a putter or any other golf club for that matter. I would play a putter, I would use a putter, but I would never "game" one.

**WITB (Lefty)** TaylorMade R7 Driver Titleist 3W Ping Eye 2 Beryllium 1- Iron (Blue Dot) Pro Group Arnold Palmer Professional Pro Staff 3-PW Ram Tom Watson 55° & 60° Wedges Designed by Cleveland 8802 style putter **WITC (What's in the Closet)** 10 or so other 8802 style putters Adams Tom Watson 60° Wedge Adams Nick Faldo Asymmetrical sole 60° Wedge MacGregor Tommy Armour 2-PW Ping Karsten III+ 3-PW (Green Dot) **WILITF (What I lost in the fire)** Harvey Penick Take Dead Aim Titanium Driver Harvey Penick 10° driver, 12° driver, 3 wood Campbell Arnold Palmer 3-PW blades Ram Tom Watson 55° & 60° Wedges Arnold Palmer The Original Putter x2

Short answer yes.

The Spider X line is the only putter that I would consider playing that isn't a traditional shape. Its performance speaks for itself at this point.

I game a Ping Zing and alternate to a 8802.

Putters are something that I use then when I perceive (with my weak feeble mind) that something isn't jiving, then I will switch to something in my rotation. It's not a change in overall setup, its just for the eyes.

But. Putting (and golf overall) is such a mind game that I want to have my equipment fit my eyes. It eliminates the opportunity for me to blame my tools. Lol

I would’ve said no, but recently got a great putter fitting at TXG and he handed me a Bobby Grace (never in my life would I have picked it up in a store... more likely to make fun of it). I play a Scotty center shafted mid mallet and this is a small slant neck Shiloh with a Stability shaft. The roll was night and day better and even the stroke/impact was better. I was sold. Should get it in hand this coming week.

Done it my whole life...can honestly say I have never used a putter I love the look of. They have all been off in some way. But I’m a very good putter...the lead edge is my biggest factor...if I can line that up I can roll it. The junk behind it doesn’t really matter except for weight. That being said I’ve used center shaft or bullseye type putters mostly. I won’t even look at a plumbers neck no matter how pretty the head is. Don’t work for me. Heres my two current gamers. The m6 (black) rolls it so good but the shaft seems to lean wrong...the platinum doesn’t really look good to me on the ground but I make a ton of putts with it. It’s always something that I don’t love about a putter.

fph9y0lfgh49.jpeg

2jv97wi81l0b.jpeg

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

No, I have to like the look, or at least somewhat. Generally the look, roll and confidence equal a putter I like.....

[i][b]In the Bag:[/b][/i]
Driver - Ping 430 Max 10.5 Degree - Tensei 1K 70g  45"

Fairway Woods: Wilson Dynapower (2023) 5 and 7 woods
Irons: 6 - PW trade between Titleist T200 Steel Fiber i110s, and Wilson Staffs +1" - Shafts Project X LZ 5.5
Hybrids: Ping G425 26 degree Titleist TSi2 17 and 23 degree…..Shaft Project X 90 Hyb +1"
PW: Wilson Staff Custom 52 SW: Cleveland CBX Full Face 56 10 bounce
Putter: Jon Rham Limited Naked Rossie 
Ball: Wilson Staff, Pro V or Callaway Chrome Soft
Bag: Datrek 

Cart: Bagboy Quad

> @EricWGolf said:

> The more putts it makes, the prettier a putter gets.

THIS Times a Million

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

There’s no doubt in my mind that the Odysee white hot 2 ball is one of the most effective putters ever made. Just can’t bring my self to take my SC Mil Spec out of the bag...........and the Miss Lena Las Vegas cover is way better to look at as I’m pushing the bag around...........yeah yeah I know.....please don’t all be Captain Obvious if you comment. ?

> @ThinkingPlus said:

> Last time I checked, photos of your putter and the rest of your clubs were not attached to the scorecard with strokes added for ugly appearance. Results are all that should matter. Your psychologist should be able to help you out with this.

Why are results all that should matter? I'm not on tour. I'm not playing for sponsors. I play golf for a number of reasons, and results aren't even close to being the end all be all. I play because I really enjoy the game. That enjoyment includes the results, but also my love for the equiment, the aesthetics, the nature, the camaraderie... etc.

So to answer the question in the OP, it's really on a sliding scale. I could game a putter that isn't my preferred shape if the results were there. I currently am! But I couldn't game a putter that made me wretch, even if the results were superb, because that would negatively impact my enjoyment of the game. In other words, no, I'm not using a Directed Force putter anytime soon.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5 deg.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 3L

Srixon ZX 3 hybrid

Ping S55 irons

Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 60 deg.

Odyssey White Hot Versa #1