2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Any car enthusiasts around here?

HackDaddy360

1 hour ago, bladehunter said:

Thought I’d share this.  I’ve stumbled into a rabbit hole of sorts.    This has to be one of the most impressive driving displays I’ve ever  seen. This is a 63 galaxie in road race trim , and she’s a handful.  I could listen to that 427 all day. 

Goodwood is a bucket list item for me. Maybe next few years. (Wife and I have talked about it for the last few, maybe next year... maybe next year)

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

1 hour ago, cardoustie said:

What do you guys currently jlove in large SUV’s?  

Twin has had nightmare issues with a new Suburban.  

I think i am heavily leaning on just getting another Sequoia.  

My 2010 has 360,000km on it and has had zero mechanical issues in 11 years.  (I had the same luck prior with 4 other Toyota’s incl a 4 Runner)

Depends on what you need an SUV for... tow? gear? people/kids? trails? 

I'm with you on the toyotas. We went from an '02 Tahoe to a '13 FJ, and I believe that gen Tahoe was among the best made too. Newer ones I hear more issues. (only thing to happen in our Tahoe was n '05/'06 blew the sun gear, limped to repair shop, fixed for $1k)

The Toyota V6s have been bulletproof (says all friends that own them) and their drivetrains are also nearly indestructible.  I say "nearly" because our FJ at 100k miles just had it's rear pumpkin replaced... more as a result of dealer incompetency and not wear. (They covered the repair fully, even though it was out of warranty, they knew they screwed up). But, we also don't offroad much, usually rated 3-4 trails a couple times a year, nor do we tow... 

On my short list when I replace my Impreza Daily driver is a new 4runner, maybe. Will see what happens with the next gen due out next year, but also goes against Telluride/Palisade, or new Grand Cherokee (non-L).

Edited by Imp

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

10 minutes ago, Imp said:

Goodwood is a bucket list item for me. Maybe next few years. (Wife and I have talked about it for the last few, maybe next year... maybe next year)

Yep.  I agree.  

I got the bug on the road race /trans am style cars through accident.  

i bid on a car one winter night on eBay around 2005 or so.  Was listed as a 68 cougar.  Junk body. Roll cage.  A lady had it listed with some blurry pictures and some household items in other auctions.  I won the bid for $250.  It snowed a foot that night. In the south that means no travel , everything closed.  Car was 2 hours away from me in Charlotte.  

long long story short as possible.  The lady got mad that I couldn’t come the next day and pick it up and pay for it.  She wanted cash for it.  It was an impossible trip.  She got mad.  I got a little miffed snd we agreed to ca off the sale.  She apparently had another buyer who was willing to risk killings himself.   So I washed my hands of it. Or so I thought.  

fast forward a month and I get a call from a guy who knows about this car.  Keep in mind. I only wanted the remaining good parts on it. ( rear axle brake etc).  He wants to bring it to my shop for some “ help “.  Doesn’t go into details.  I agree reluctantly and the time is set.  

well. Upon arrival he tells me that the lady I had gotten cross with was ex nascar driver snd engineer Tiger Tom Pistone’s daughter.  And that he was the owner of the car. 

another long story short. The guy left me the car with the instructions to carefully figure out it’s history.  By then we had decided it was raced. But it has so much work done it was hard to figure it’s history.    So as I peel back layers I discovered that it had been rebodied.  As was common for race cars then.  To always look like the newest model year.  Car was a 67 with 68 markings , side lights etc.  then it happens.  I’m stripping paint off a fender that’s toast. Trying to get to the bottom color.  And there it is.  Red and silver.  Two tone.  I immediately go to the roof and began sanding.  Get to a point and I start to see the outline parnelli jones name is on the roof.  I cursed around the shop for an hour. Then called him. I had missed a half million dollar car for $250.  Because of a once in a 10 year snowfall and an impatient lady.  

sure enough. One of the “ bud Moore “ race cars.   Buds shop is 15 minutes from my own. ( spartanburg sc)

this car had been crashed in 1970 and tiger Tom bought it and never repaired it.   It’s been restored today. Went through 3 more owners before someone built it.  

through that deal I researched quite a bit of the trans am history and was shocked how much Bud Moore had to do with keeping the factory teams going.  Ever since then I’ve wanted to build my own replica.  Maybe some day I’ll get the space , time and cash.  

• Like 4

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

My RAV4 TRD will be paid off in a year or so. I'm trying to decide if i want to trade it in and just get a more ridiculous version of what i already have (Like say, the new Wrangler Rubicon 392 or the upcoming Bronco Raptor)

Or just keep the Rav and get a Mustang GT Mach 1 or something.

The Rubicon 392 is such a dumb car i really have to have it

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

@Rosco1216 have you seen the upcoming Wrangler 392?

I've always wanted to own a jeep but never have. My current car is a modified RAV4 TRD

I want the Wrangler 392 because of how prepostrous it is

• Like 1

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

21 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

I've always wanted to own a jeep but never have. My current car is a modified RAV4 TRD

Oh yes I’ve seen them. I’m not really a fan of the new ones. Yes they’re nice vehicles and very capable but they’re a dime a dozen and basically everyone puts a small mopar lift(which has to be done at the dealer if you want to keep warranty) and 35-37” tires and you’re in for $65-70k on a barely modified rubicon. Id rather buy an older one in good shape and put the personal touches on it and build it up a little bit for $10-$15k. 

However, if I were to ultimately build an overlanding rig, I’d go with the gladiator. Having a 25+ year old Jeep is great around town but I wouldn’t want to take mine on a week long overlanding and get stranded due to a 25 year old part that just went bad. 

Edited by Rosco1216

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

25 minutes ago, Rosco1216 said:

Oh yes I’ve seen them. I’m not really a fan of the new ones. Yes they’re nice vehicles and very capable but they’re a dime a dozen and basically everyone puts a small mopar lift(which has to be done at the dealer if you want to keep warranty) and 35-37” tires and you’re in for $65-70k on a barely modified rubicon. Id rather buy an older one in good shape and put the personal touches on it and build it up a little bit for $10-$15k. 

However, if I were to ultimately build an overlanding rig, I’d go with the gladiator. Having a 25+ year old Jeep is great around town but I wouldn’t want to take mine on a week long overlanding and get stranded due to a 25 year old part that just went bad. 

I like the gladiator but it's really big. I might also wait to see what the Bronco Raptor is when that comes out--Or the Ranger Raptor

Most of my offroading is snow based. I don't do a lot of rock crawling. But i live in the country and drive through our forests and stuff in the winter.

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

4 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

I like the gladiator but it's really big. I might also wait to see what the Bronco Raptor is when that comes out--Or the Ranger Raptor

Most of my offroading is snow based. I don't do a lot of rock crawling. But i live in the country and drive through our forests and stuff in the winter.

Yeah the 4 door wrangler is 118” wheelbase compared to 137” for the gladiator. I was surprised it’s that much longer axle to axle. 

I love snow driving but in NE Oklahoma we may have any measurable snow once or twice a winter. Anything more than 2-3” is a rarity but maybe every couple years. 

I don’t do significant rock crawling either. Mostly trail riding. No mudding. 

Edited by Rosco1216

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

Wife has a ‘16 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited … loves it

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

On 10/29/2021 at 4:44 PM, MtlJeff said:

392 is about as hellcat as it will get, unless someone says "lets do it".  LOL

Getting her quarterly wash....

20200625_192721.jpg

• Like 4

Taylormade Sim 9° (set to 7°) - Fuji 53k X 

Cobra Rad Speed Tour 5 Wood 16° - Attas-T2 9x

Mizuno MP Fli Hi 18° - C Taper 125 S+
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 23° - C Taper 120 S
Srixon z785 5-PW - KBS TourV X

Cleveland ZipCore 50° - Tour S400
Ping Glide Pro Forged 54°/ Eye Toe 59°  - Tour S400
Seemore mFGP2 
Podcast - "Rough Fairways - A Journey to the PGA Tour" available on Spotify - Pandora - Apple

12 hours ago, Imp said:

392 is about as hellcat as it will get, unless someone says "lets do it".  LOL

I'm a little concerned about 470hp on pavement with KO2's--can't imagine 700+

I hope people who buy this truck have at least driven on KO2's before and know how much worse they are for braking etc

• Like 2

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

3 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

I'm a little concerned about 470hp on pavement with KO2's--can't imagine 700+

I hope people who buy this truck have at least driven on KO2's before and know how much worse they are for braking etc

I'm sure the throttle mapping is quite restricted at tip-in and TC mapped to just not allow things to get sideways, easy. 🙂  Thing is, around here, I'm like you, very little offroad, more snow or light (rated 3-4) trails, and not very often. So, overkill. Kind of why I cold my chevy SS sedan and have an Impreza; snow and AWD. As I get older, it's harder to climb "up" out of it after a long drive or round of golf. I'd rather just turn and slide out, like my wifes FJ. 

And $75-$85k, you can get a LOT more mall-crawler for the money. 😉  

Edited by Imp

2 hours ago, Imp said:

Unf. The lack of rust. Lucky!

Thanks.  I don't drive it in the rain so hopefully it will last a bit longer.  The bulkhead has some rust hiding underneath the 10 footer paint job.

I'll dig up a pic of the one I had a few years back... it was much cooler IMO.

-Mag

On 10/31/2021 at 12:19 AM, PixlPutterman said:

Saw this at the course last week, was SOOOO clean

20200713_164828.jpg

Went to school with a guy of German descent . He drove a early vintage  7 series bmw euro model.  Manual trans , momo steering wheel and shifter package with the larger wheels and tire / brake package from the factory. That thing was absolutely the best handling thing on the road at the time , and had 4 doors.  You could lose a 80s -90s corvette in the twistys easily . Not that outrunning those vintage corvettes is a big accomplishment.   But still.  Really neat cars and rare to see in the states. 

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 3

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

3 hours ago, 3PuttLefty said:

Ha. Sorry. I thought it was red. Need to get my eyes checked.  Adams Polishes is my other addiction. Less expensive then golf. But not by much!   Love ur car though! 

Thanks.  Well I use Rupes and the Bigfoot buffer so as you can imagine things get expensive. 

Edited by gsrjc
  • Like 1