Is the lob wedge overrated?

dalehead

I previously used a LW a lot. But that was when I could practice on real grass every day.

For the last 1-2 years I've had a 57, 58, or 60 in the bag. But I rarely use it absent a situation where the 54 won't work.

There is no doubt that the flops can result in disaster. I still think the extra loft is useful when played square at times. Still, I seem to get more consistent contact with a 54 so use that as much as possible.

I carry a 60* and use it when the shot dictates; I don't force the 60* into a shot where it isn't the right option. Some rounds it gets used more than others, but if you commit to the swing it can be a very effective club. Like anything, practice, practice, practice. Don't try to learn something new while out on the course. I've found that inside ~50 yards, comfort is the deciding factor with a club. You've got up to 14 clubs in the bag, learn to be creative with them all, well maybe not the driver.

I technically carry 2 "lob" wedges. 58° and 62°. The 58 is vokey K grind and great from bunkers and inside 80 yards. 62 is vokey SM5 T grind, great around the green and on tight lies...absolute favorite wedge I've ever owned, I actually bought another as backup. You have to work on your wedges constantly to be consistent and confident. Take a bucket of balls to the chipping green, spend a hour or so working on your short game.

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 LS 9°(10°) - GD Tour AD UB 5

Taylormade BRNR 11.5°(13°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Mizuno T22 50° S Grind

Vokey SM8 56° D Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

It all depends on the individual, I learned to play back in the 60's and there was no lob wedge. I have tried both a 58 and 60 and for the amount of time I used one during a round I found it was better for myself to stop at a 56.

• Like 1

Titleist TSI2 9 Degree MCA Tensei AV Blue Stiff

Callaway Razer Fit Extreme 16.5 Degree Project X Hzdrus Smoke 6.0

Callaway Heavenwood 20 Degree Project X Evenflow 6.0

Titleist 913H 24 Degree MCA Diamana Blue Stiff

Tourstage 705M 5-PW Aldila RIP 85 Regular

Mizuo MP T10 53 & 57 Aldila RIP 85 Regular

Tour Edge Exotics Wingman 705

Very useful and the wedge that sees the most wear for me. Have holed out with it more times than hitting the dreaded thin bullet. Even though I can hit it well it's still last in the pecking order around the greens. First, if I can putt it I will. Second, will use a club to get it rolling as soon an possible. If I cant do the first 2 then the 60 comes out.

My absolute favorite club. Use it 80 yards and in and all sand shots around the green.

Driver: TM Sim2 Max Fuji Atmos Black TourSpec 7X

3W: TM M2 (2016) 3HL Fuji Atmos Black TourSpec 8TX

DI: Srixon ZX 20* AD DI Hybrid 95X

Irons: Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW TT X100

Wedges: Vokey SM8 50, 56, 60 TT X100

Putter: SC Newport 2 Custom

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I'm not married to my 60*, but it does have its uses. Most times, the course I'm playing and the current conditions will dictate how much value I'd get out of carrying my LW. If I'm playing somewhere with lots of raised greens and greenside bunkers, it's probably in the bag. If there are lots of tight lies and more options to play it low, maybe I'll take an extra long iron or hybrid. Regardless, I don't normally have an issue with wanting to carry even 14 clubs so I can usually just leave it in and let the situation dictate when it's used.

I would say a wedge fit to your game is more of a weapon than a burden. I would hate my 60 if it were say a Vokey L grind. My wedge wedge fits my game and I save more shots than I give away. I also only practice my short game with my free time. You will very rarely catch me on the range.

TM Qi10 LS 9.0 Tour AD BB-7x 
TM Qi10 Tour 14.0 Graphite Design Tour AD BB-8x 
Titleist TSR2 18.0 HZRDUS Black 6.0
Mizuno 245 4-PW KB Tour C Taper 120 S
National Custom Works 48 Green KBS Tour High Rev 
National Custom Works 54 Green KBS Tour High Rev

National Custom Works 60 Green KBS Tour High Rev
Scotty Cameron Tei3 Newport 2 sole stamp 

It's been an indispensable part of my set since it went in a couple of decades ago. I'd rather do without my PW and gap wedge than not have my 56* and 60*. To me, it's as much about bounce selection as it is about loft. If I had to describe it, I'd favor "underrated" instead of "overrated".

I think a 60* is easier for most players to hit when swinging under 80% rather than taking full cuts. If you're always taking full swings with a 60*, I question your club choices.

For me the 60* wedge or lob wedge is a waste of time and I agree it’s a touch over rated. I’ve seen golfers use it to great success and I’ve seen more cost themselves unnecessary shots. I grew up and played golf when the 56* SW was the go to club for most all shots from a 100 yards in. When lobs stared gaining traction I tried them and practiced with them on and off but could never really find a spot for it, in fact it cost me strokes on what I could do with my SW. I prefer to have more at the top end of the bag than a confusing assortment of lofted wedges.

I used to carry a lob wedge for the longest time because that what tour pros did (which was stupid for me). When I started to learn how to open the face and make flop shots with my SW I ditched it. Besides, SW has more bounce than LW in general and I don't want to make the game any harder as it is.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

8 or 9 years ago I used a 60* Vokey very effectively, but I was playing more and practicing 4 - 5 times a week. I hit some shots that I could not have hit with my 54*.

These days I walk and carry with 8 or 9 clubs. The 60* is one that didn't make the cut.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

No

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

The 60 degree wedge is the KING of the chunk , dub , skull , you name it and causes alot more problems than its worth . I can do the same thing with a 56 degree wedge as a 60 and yet I rarely use that around the green except for bunker or short sided shots and rarely use it for full shots . To each there own , but for the average golfer it is a score killer . 90 percent of my greenside shots are made with a PW and the results are predictable and reliable , yes you have practice a lot with it too to get there ... I use a gap wedge ( 50 degree) for the other 10 percent of chipping around the green and for most full shots from a 100 in

Those that say you can do the same thing with a 56* that you can with a 60*, I don't buy it. A 60* can be stopped quicker than a 56*, period. That's not to say it's for everyone, and I only carry a 58* periodically. But I won't argue that I can do everything with my 56* or 58* that I could do with a 60*. There's always sacrifices (and advantages) when picking one vs the other.

• Like 1

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

I see your photo looks like a Honda 305 Scrambler. I had a '66 I bought in '69, kept it through high school. Memories . . .

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G

Guessing a lot of this comes down to course conditions where most of you play. My greens are fast, firm, and tucked pins. If I want to score, I need loft and spin, making 60* a necessity (often using a 64* as well.) Takes practice like anything else, 60 is not overrated, but may be over used by those without experience. YMMV

This is similar to the am I good enough to play blades. Every player is not created the same, so only you can answer this question. For myself, I play a 50 with high bounce, and will probably be going to a 54 that is similar, I am a pretty good wedge player around the green to the 60 is fine for me. As a matter of fact I am thinking of going 50, 54. 58. 62 and dropping the 3 and 5 wood to go to a 4 wood.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

Love my 60 degree LW. Use it on mostly every shot inside of 30 yards. Absolute weapon on touch shots. Just looks so comfortable opened up, where there is little fear that any shot is going to be hit heavy,

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

I am in 2 minds about a lob wedge -

I have 2 wedge set ups - vokey 52/56/60 and cleveland 52/58 - the 52 gets the most use for pitching and full shots.

The course I play is a links course so fairway lies are generally quite tight making 60 degrees a challenge and sending it high in windy conditions with hard greens is not really the game - however having more loft really helps from deep bunkers....

Played the 3 wedges for a couple of years but after 6 weeks practicing in the back garden I might go back to 52/58 when we get out of lockdown - remove some decisions and play the shot instead of playing the club.

Taylor Made SIM max 10.5 - Aldila Rogue 110 60 s

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15 - Even Flow Blue 6.0

Srixon zu85 3i / Titleist TS2 5w

Titleist TMb 4i

Mizuno Mp59 5-pw - KBS C-taper lite S

Vokey SM6 52, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron Newport

Its only overrated if you cant use it. It certainly is highly preferred by many pros, and amateurs and has a ton of purpose if you can use it. If you dont see the need for it, "can do the same with a 56" or haven't been able to utilize, thats more a personal situation regarding your bag.

TSR2  | Original One Mini |Apex UW 19

Nike Vapor Speed 4i | 5-GW T100S Black 

SM8 Black 54* / 60*

Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

WITB

Lob Wedges are NOT over rated but they are over advertised. Most of mid-hi cap golfers I encounter are not that good with them. Why? They don't practice with LW, they bang driver.

Yesterday, one of the guys must have skulled his ball over the green at least six times using LW and missed greens a few times using 56* from inside of 75yds. Pretty sad. I am pretty adept with any wedge to make any shot just by opening up the face. That to me is the best and most enjoyable part of the game as wedge shots demand creative execution. Also reason I am not bothered by missing a green. Yesterday got up and down from bunkers to save Par least 4 times and 3 times using SW or PW.

I can leave my putter in the trunk and still play 18 holes using LW as my putter. Now-a-days, not a day goes by that I am not practicing little pitches and lobs using 9i, PW, SW & LW in the house; that makes a huge difference. My Lob Wedge is still #1 club in my bag followed closely by 2 iron.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX