2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

I’m done with my 3 wood

TServos

I have had one 3 wood in my 40+ years of golf which I can say I hit well and two 4 woods.

A Kenneth Smith 15 degree head I bought on the bay 12 years ago and matched with a Rocket steel shaft (DFSI 110) which flies low and goes like hell. Every other club I have tried is too light or too flexible or something lol. Just before my first round last year it needed a grip so I had to rely on a 23* hybrid and was -1 in the par fives. Hitting a third shot from the middle of the fairway has advantages.

Cleveland Classic XL Driver
KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

Thank you for this. Was thinking about taking my five wood out of my bag but have been hitting it better than the three. Will give this a shot and then can add a wedge.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

Try a 4 wood it’s really one of the best options...I’m still a firm believer that 85% of golfers shouldn’t carry a 3 wood or 60*, they are both very hard to master.

• Driver - Ping G400 10.5 Graphite Design VR 5 R1
  • Wood - Taylormade Sim TI 5 wood 19* (17.5) Diamana 65R
  • Wood - Callaway Epic Speed 7 wood 21* HZRDUS 60-5.5
  • Hybrid - Ping G430 22* R 
  • Hybrid - Ping G425 26* @ 25* R
  • Irons - New Level 902 PD 6-PW & AW Elevate MPH 95 R 
  • Wedge - Ping Glide 2.0 50* AWT 
  • Wedge - Callaway  MD3 Milled 56/10 TT Elevate MPH 95 R
  • Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG #7 Bird 34” 
  • Ball - Maxfli Tour 

The logical thing to try if you are having a hard time feeling the head on takeaway is adding some weight. Ping G25 aftermarket weights are readily available and a fairly cheap experiment. Even cheaper is lead tape, which you can experiment with, weigh, and then purchase an appropriate weight to swap in. It can be the difference between getting kicked out of the bag and being your favorite club. I always play my fairways heavier and shorter than standard. The raw headweight of my 3 woods are always around 10g heavier than "standard", basically weighing in like a 5 wood. Same jump for my 5-wood which weighs in like a 7-wood. I would not play them any other way.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 4i-7i 23*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

G400 three wood ... or the 5w tuned down to 16.5

i have almost 30 three and 4 heads in the basement ... Consider myself an expert in this arena

what is your current set up?

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

I've considered dropping my 3 wood as well, since it's only about 10 yards further than my 5 wood. What do you play for your 14th club? I'm currently Driver, 3 wood, 5 wood, 4-PW, 50, 54, 58, putter. I'm not sure what I'd throw in the bag if I did drop my 3 wood. I could increase the loft on the hybrid sitting in my garage..... play that at like 20 degrees. The 5 wood is a bit strong at 17.5 degrees anyway.

Titleist 917 D2 10.5* Diamana D+ 70X

Taylormade SIM Max 15* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.5

Ping G410 18.5* Tensei CK Orange 70X

Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-PW NS Pro Modus 3 120S

Mizuno T20 50*, 54*, 58* NS Pro Modus 3 120S

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7.5

I ordered my G400 3 wood 1/2" short and it's amazing how consistently I strike it now. I ordered my driver 3/4" short and I'm getting excellent results from it as well. Shorter is better...

• Like 2

Driver PING G SF Tec

Wood PING G (18.5*)

Irons PING G30 (6-SW)

Putter PING DS72 2021 (35")

Bag Jones Classic Stand

Cart Clicgear 3.5+

I don't dare hit anything over 58*. I have the bounce ground down on my 58* and lay it open when I need to. I typically only hit it within about 35y of the green anyway. Anywhere between 105 and 35 yards, I got to my 54*, for more consistency. My biggest gap is probably between my 4 iron and my 5 wood. Problem is, whenever I try to fill that gap, it creeps up to the 5 wood length. 5 wood is about 230-235y carry and 4 iron is 205-210y. If I could find something that I would regularly hit 220, that would be great. I tried a driving iron at the beginning of this year, but the distance was so erratic. If I flushed it, it would carry like 230, but a hit towards the toe, and distance would drop right down to around 190. I'm leaning towards adjusting my Titleist 818 H1 hybrid to 20 or 21 degrees. That is something I haven't tried.

Titleist 917 D2 10.5* Diamana D+ 70X

Taylormade SIM Max 15* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.5

Ping G410 18.5* Tensei CK Orange 70X

Mizuno MP-20 HMB 4-PW NS Pro Modus 3 120S

Mizuno T20 50*, 54*, 58* NS Pro Modus 3 120S

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 7.5

I understand the frustration but once you find one it stays in the bag. I love my Royma F2 13.5* with GD AD stiff shaft.

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

About 5 years ago i sold both my 3W and 5W and swore i never own another. That was until a friend let me try their M4 3W, and that was a game changer. I have more control with that 3W then my driver most of the time. I tried another 3W the other day and couldn't a thing. I would say, you just need to find the one that is right for you.

Have struggled with the 3 wood for years so I recently went to a Professional fitter (outdoor fitter not some store clerk with a simulator). He had me hitting a Ping G410 5 wood as long as my 3 wood but easier to hit and certainly higher launch. He dialed down the 17.5 degree 5 wood to 16.5 making it in effect a 4 wood and put a 3 wood shaft in the 5 wood and went up in stiffness due to the extra length, this is now a high bomber great off the deck or off the tee. My search for a 3 wood has ended.

Ping G430 Max 10K w Alta 55

Ping G430 5 wood w PD-70

Ping G425 7 wood w Slay 55

Ping G430 9 wood w Speeder EVO6

Ping G430 6 Hybrid w PX Red Smoke
Srixon ZX5 6-PW w Recoil 660

Vokey SM8 50.12 F Grind w Recoil 95
Vokey SM10 56.12 D Grind w Recoil 95
Vokey Wedgeworks 60.08 K Grind w Recoil 95

Odyssey Jailbird

I'm one of those who could never do much with a 3 wood off the deck, but it wasn't exactly automatic off a tee either. Last season I dropped my 3 wood for a TM SLDR Mini Driver with the heavy shaft. That is now my warm fuzzy blanket club off the tee. I just put a smooth swing on it and it goes, even has a nice draw shape that I wish I could master with my driver. I don't miss the 3 wood at all. I can even hit the SLDR mini driver well out of the rough, if it's sitting up, which was an intimidating shot with the shallower 3 wood.

Since that worked so well for me I decided to try the new version, the Original One Mini Driver. It's not nearly as automatic for me for some reason. It flies much lower and wants to be teed up higher. I've ordered the heavier shaft to try in it before I give up completely.

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

It seems from my experience you are either going to like a deep faced 3 wood or a shallow faced one. It really depends on your swing. If you are a sweeper then you will probably either need more loft or a shallow one, like a Ping G410. The deeper faced ones work better for people who hit down a bit or like them off the tee exclusively. The other issue is many modern 3 woods will get a case of the "lefts" real quick if you are more of a sweeper, especially if you need a flatter lie angle.

I fought the Epic flash for over a year, it was really long, but very inconsistent, went to the G410 and while I have never hit a real bomb with it, I feel I can control it. I have the 3,5 and 7 wood, I will pick two of these to fill out my bag depending on what I am feeling like.

Going with a 4 wood or a 5 wood with the face closed a bit is a nice option.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Shop Callaway used on their website. Excellent prices and customer service. I love the Epic series.

I would like to add that I can hit a 3-5 just fine off a tee or off grass, but not off a mat. For some reason when I hit this club off a mat it never ends up well. So I just don’t practice the club off a mat. No problem with hybrids though.

Play something at 16.5-17*, at 42". Problem solved. Also, hit it more, the less you hit a club, the more of a mind f**k it is than anything else.

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

I just did the same thing (added the 3 wood shaft to my G410 5w). Interesting you found it stiffer with the 3W shaft. I found it plays slightly softer with the 3W shaft than with the original Alta 65 5 wood shaft I had in it since early 2020 (with Covid break). That makes sense to me as the shaft is longer and a 5w head would be slightly heavier than the 3W one. Softer is not a bad thing at my swingspeed though. That's with the same 7g weight from the stock 5W. I tried the "4w" with a 4g weight I bought, but it felt wimpy.

That configuration makes it very close to the last Ping 4 wood, the G25 4 wood which was 16.5° 43" 165cc 56° lie. The G410 5w head is 162cc with "avg lie" of 57.0. Assuming it's one degree less at the -1 setting as the driver chart I've seen, that would also be 56.0 lie.

I THINK I'm going to play it at 16.5° but I was hitting it quite a bit lower than at the standard setting, but with more draw. But that's only after a few shots at either setting in play so far. Perhaps operator error trying too hard to turn it over. Anyway, at whatever setting (17.5 or 16.5) it is still a 4W at 43" in my book. (I even popped in a "4" number tab to the headcover today from extra Ping tabs I had on hand. )

Agreed! It took me a while but I finally figured this out and concocted a 4 wood. Started with a TaylorMade M2 HL 3 wood model which is 16.5* and I installed a 5 wood shaft into it so it plays shorter and stiffer. The head has hotmelt to add some weight (and for feel and sound). It's been a dream for the past two seasons and it's a keeper for the long haul.

I did similar when made my own Heaven Wood. 4 wood Matrix Black Tie shaft on a 7 wood Razr Fit Xtreme head, a modern version of the classic original that was good for about 220 back then.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

This is a great thread because 3W to me (and many others it seems) is the only club that rivals the need for mental comfort like a putter. Sometimes when it’s not going well you just need to look at something different.

Lots of good ideas shared in terms of shortening or just playing a 5 wood. First thing to me always in my fairway is starting with what do I primarily want this suited for... an alternate tee club or primarily from the fairway (even mix of both)

Callaway Epic Speed 9° Driver
Callaway Epic Speed 4W - Smoke IM10

Callaway Apex UW (21°)

Mizuno Pro 225 (4i); 223 (5-9i); 221 (PW)
Jaws MD 5 50°, Full Toe 54°, 58° PM Grind
Toulon Odyssey Chicago