2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

BMW Championship at Olympia Fields

bscinstnct

14 hours ago, Jackhammer993 said:

Today was a great day for golf. This course brought out the best in the best players. Watching DJ and Rahm go down to the wire and make the putts they did was a finish not soon forgotten. Another big winner was Olympia Fields. For where the modern game is now this is the type of course that is needed for US Opens. I use to believe Pebble Beach produced top champions but that has been proven wrong in the last 2 US Opens. Today felt like a US Open. The perfect weather pattern also had something to do with this week but it was worth it. Congratulations to Jon Rahm and DJ for a great week. Rory take a break and enjoy that bundle of joy that’s coming. Golf will still be here whenever you get back.

The golf was great! haven't seen a putt like that since Tigers Iconic put on the 16th at Augusta National but Rahm's ….was for the win!

4 hours ago, Muse said:

I was thinking the same thing. Stupid and wrong.

CBS golf crew is so much better than the clown posse at NBC it isn't funny. I just had to groan when I found out the 2nd and 3rd tournaments of the championship were going to be broadcast by NBC. I can't stand Hicks. The only good reporting I noticed was when Bones got in the booth after dropping JT's bag. 

NBC seems be be praised by some over CBS and while neither is without fault, I agree that NBC is now worse. I have never liked Hicks. Aside from him babbling on incessantly at times he has been one of the worst Tiger cheerleaders over the years which is a slap in the face to anyone competing against/beating him. I keep hoping NBC will slot Tirico in there soon. Koch is a cliche machine, and while I like Maltbie he is getting up there in age and can't have many years of walking the fairways left in him. Feherty is tolerable only in small doses when he doesn't run out of ad-libs written well in advance.  The Golf Channel bunch has also been affected by the NBC influence. I used to think Steve Sands was pretty good but made the mistake watching the early-hole coverage yesterday on GC where he anchored next to Curt Byrum. Sands may be good at interviews and features but being the main anchor of a tournament broadcast is not his strong suit. He too was drinking the NBC Tiger kool-aid by saying things like "remember how many times he would hit a shot like this stiff" in a predictive way before a Tiger swing, not as a lament like he should have after Tiger left it 50' from the hole. Byrum isn't a bad analyst but excitement isn't something he seems to have in him.

2 hours ago, Greg_B said:

NBC seems be be praised by some over CBS and while neither is without fault, I agree that NBC is now worse. I have never liked Hicks. Aside from him babbling on incessantly at times he has been one of the worst Tiger cheerleaders over the years which is a slap in the face to anyone competing against/beating him. I keep hoping NBC will slot Tirico in there soon. Koch is a cliche machine, and while I like Maltbie he is getting up there in age and can't have many years of walking the fairways left in him. Feherty is tolerable only in small doses when he doesn't run out of ad-libs written well in advance.  The Golf Channel bunch has also been affected by the NBC influence. I used to think Steve Sands was pretty good but made the mistake watching the early-hole coverage yesterday on GC where he anchored next to Curt Byrum. Sands may be good at interviews and features but being the main anchor of a tournament broadcast is not his strong suit. He too was drinking the NBC Tiger kool-aid by saying things like "remember how many times he would hit a shot like this stiff" in a predictive way before a Tiger swing, not as a lament like he should have after Tiger left it 50' from the hole. Byrum isn't a bad analyst but excitement isn't something he seems to have in him.

Just so you know, Rog doesn't walk the fairways.  He's got a cart and driver.

8 minutes ago, C6 Snowboarder said:

giphy.gif

Lol, ok, you’re entitled, but here you go...

“Woods and Els arrived at the course's signature par-5 18th tied. Woods hit a fantastic second shot with a 3-wood to inside of 12 feet, and Els answered with an approach inside of that.

Both made the eagle putts (That's matching eagles on a 600-yard-plus hole) to head to a playoff.

Playing the same hole again, both made two-putt birdies to go to a second sudden-death hole, where Woods made a winning 40-footer for birdie.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.golfdigest.com/story/relive-tiger-woods-taking-down-ernie-els-in-that-epic-duel-at-kapalua/amp

30CE06C6-8116-4AAC-BFE7-AF4E30005556.jpeg

Edited by bscinstnct

Watching the replay of what I missed yesterday and when Niemann is putting out on 18 Aziinger says "you can see the sweetspot on Niemann's putter he hits it dead center so often".  It's a PING putter and that's the milling pattern you dumba**.

• Like 2

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

7 hours ago, Greg_B said:

The question is: Who is the perfect announcer/analyst? 

4 hours ago, the bishop said:

Watching the replay of what I missed yesterday and when Niemann is putting out on 18 Aziinger says "you can see the sweetspot on Niemann's putter he hits it dead center so often".  It's a PING putter and that's the milling pattern you dumba**.

he ruins the broadcasts. Horrible hire 

7 hours ago, the bishop said:

Yeah, I had to wonder about that comment. I rewound a bit and couldn't make it out. Figures, though. NBC's golf crew sucks to the nth degree. CBS's rules.

4 hours ago, dcfas said:

The question is: Who is the perfect announcer/analyst? 

I used to not like Jim Nance, but think as the lead announcer he's grown into his role. Faldo's good, Dottie Pepper, Ian Baker Finch, I like Amanda Balionis, there's not one I don't like now on the CBS golf crew. I like Feherty when he was with them. I think NBC must have offered him a lot more money, can't think of a reason why he'd want to leave CBS form that bunch of nincompoops. NBC gets less tournaments, maybe it was that, or maybe the association with the Gold Channel, which NBC seems to have, Feherty having his own show on it. Anyway, I don't get Golf Channel and would probably hate it for tournament coverage and most of their content would sicken me, I'm sure.

I'm wondering what happened to Gary McCord. Searching I see he was fired by CBS. I think that's too bad, he's a genuine wit. I suppose he rubs the starch shirts the wrong way.

CBS dropping Peter Kostis is also a big loss. His swing analysis was the best. 

CBS can be nasty as most corporate entities. They fired Walter Chronkite. 

Edited by Muse
add content

10 minutes ago, Muse said:

I like Feherty when he was with them. I think NBC must have offered him a lot more money, can't think of a reason why he'd want to leave CBS form that bunch of nincompoops. NBC gets less tournaments, maybe it was that, or maybe the association with the Gold Channel, which NBC seems to have, Feherty having his own show on it.

Read the article linked below. It will answer some of the conjecture you posted. Comcast owns Golf Channel (100% outright since 2002/3) and NBC Universal (since 2011). Golf Channel is under the NBC Sports umbrella after Comcast bought NBC Universal. CBS also has an association with NBC Sports/Golf Channel for early round coverage for Thursday/Friday rounds and early coverage on the weekends. Nick Faldo announces for both Golf Channel and CBS.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/why-david-feherty-is-walking

7 hours ago, jacksongp22 said:

Sadly he has made that same statement before with another player using a Ping putter.

Thanks for confirming that.  When he said it I thought to myself I think he's done that before but couldn't remember who it was.  Still can't.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

6 hours ago, Muse said:

I used to not like Jim Nance, but think as the lead announcer he's grown into his role. Faldo's good, Dottie Pepper, Ian Baker Finch, I like Amanda Balionis, there's not one I don't like now on the CBS golf crew. I like Feherty when he was with them. I think NBC must have offered him a lot more money, can't think of a reason why he'd want to leave CBS form that bunch of nincompoops. NBC gets less tournaments, maybe it was that, or maybe the association with the Gold Channel, which NBC seems to have, Feherty having his own show on it. Anyway, I don't get Golf Channel and would probably hate it for tournament coverage and most of their content would sicken me, I'm sure.

I'm wondering what happened to Gary McCord. Searching I see he was fired by CBS. I think that's too bad, he's a genuine wit. I suppose he rubs the starch shirts the wrong way.

CBS dropping Peter Kostis is also a big loss. His swing analysis was the best. 

CBS can be nasty as most corporate entities. They fired Walter Chronkite. 

First if all it's NANTZ, not Nance.

The CBS on-air people are a mixed bag. IBF is not good. He's the CBS version of Gary Koch. Dottie is fine, and Amanda is excellent. Faldo is full of inanities and has the knack of talking a lot without saying anything. So CBS is far from perfect and could use several upgrades in that department.

Feherty's contract was up at CBS and NBC offered him a better deal, taking him off the fairways and putting him in a booth usually, plus promises of his own show on GC. I find the less I see of Feherty the better I like him. His show is a very mixed bag, sometimes entertaining, often nearly unwatchable. He seems to use it mostly to promote his personal appearances.

The contracts of McCord and Kostis were not renewed at the end of 2019. McCord had become stale and added very little in recent years, unlike when he first joined. I still do not understand the release of Kostis as he was pretty good. Perhaps there was some friction behind the scenes but I do not know.

CBS most certainly did not "fire" Walter Cronkite. He retired graciously after a long career and still contributed occasional pieces to CBS after that.

I'll cut ALL golf broadcasters some slack. No one here seems to realize just how hard doing golf on TV is. I'm just not that sensitive to what they're saying anyway. At least not enough to where it takes away from enjoying a great event.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.