Looking for new irons....

Looking into upgrading irons into more of a blade/cavity back style club. Not a true blade but you know what I mean. I currently it callaway razr x’s. I’ve tried mizuno mp-60’s and I can hit them well but looking for more option that are in the 2012-2017 range. Let me know what you think 

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Friends don't let friends play Titleist    😈  

Adams cmb or just check out sub70! Great clubs at a great price.

Apex Pro from 15-16. Thank me later. 

7 hours ago, Epakela said:

Looking into upgrading irons into more of a blade/cavity back style club. Not a true blade but you know what I mean. I currently it callaway razr x’s. I’ve tried mizuno mp-60’s and I can hit them well but looking for more option that are in the 2012-2017 range. Let me know what you think 

Adams cmb or just check out sub70! Great clubs at a great price.

• Like 2

As of 6/5/20

9.5 Cobra LTD Pro with Aldila Silver 110

13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha 

18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400

6-PW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0

50, 54, 60 Vokeys

Tank Counter Balance #7 

JPX921 forged or tours

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 10.5*
Sonartec GS Tour 15*
Big Bertha Alpha 815 20*
Mizuno JPX921 Forged 5-6 PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno JPX921 Tour 7-PW PX LZ 6.0
Titleist Vokey 52*, 56*, 60*
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5

2013 Callaway X Forged.  It still gets some usage on tour.  Awesome blend of feel, looks. and forgiveness.

• Like 1

G400 Max Rogue Silver 70

Exotics CBX T3 16.5 Rogue Silver 80

Exotics CBX 20* RIP Alpha 105

T-MB 4, 5 Recoil 110

JPX 900 Tour 6-P Recoil 125

Bettinardi HLX 3.0 50, 56 Recoil Wedge Proto

RM-22 60 Black Onyx S400

Spider FCG L-Neck

New Level has some great offerings between the 623’s and 902’s with great pricing right now. They may fit your window and the Sub70 has offerings as well  with the 639 and 699 pro’s, Ben Hogan as well. Brand new clubs at some of the prices you may see a good used set of big brand names.......¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

All three worth looking into imho 

• Like 1

Mizuno MP 64s still have my vote for the best feel of any modern club I have hit. I also think the turf interaction on them is outstanding. If your miss is low on the face or towards the toe, there is plenty of mass in those areas to help you out. I do wish the 9 iron and PW were a little more compact, but its a minor foible in what I otherwise think is one of the best sets Mizuno ever made.

• Like 1

Titleist TS3 - Fujikura Rombax 7z08

Mizuno MP Titanium 15* - Fujikura Rombax 7z08

Mizuno MPH4 2 iron - DG x100

Mizuno MP68 3-PW - KBS Tour 130x

Vokey SM7 55*M & 60*L - KBS Tour 130x

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Mid Slant

Maltby irons at Golfworks would be a good option as well as sub 70 as they have combo mb/cb sets in a traditional looking club with little offset, and the price is a lot less than the big names.

• Like 1

Macgregor M-38 9.5 - Mondeo 5w - Heater BMT-3 4i - Acer XV Tour 5i-9i, G, S - Maltby LW - Bionik 105

On 10/19/2020 at 8:58 AM, Moonlightgrm said:

Check out the MPF ratings here: https://www.golfworks.com/iron-head-mpf-ratings/a/870/

Check out the parameters of each club, then test the ones that make your list. Enjoy the journey! 

Really great site, but to be honest, I don’t know what much of it means in regards to playability 

vcog  vertical center of gravity 👍
then adjusted .........

MOI , Ok I know that one 👍

I wish they put dots on the clubs to show what or where the locations are. I assume they are providing a map to the “sweet spot”, but not sure 🤔 

ive seen some of this laid out with the face of the driver by either Howard, or Stuart I can’t remember. Is that what these numbers are providing? 

My last set was a playability of 381 classic and the current set is 458 Conventional ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  

Now if I could just find  a classic look with super game improvement playability 😝 

5 minutes ago, Drivingrangehero said:

Really great site, but to be honest, I don’t know what much of it means in regards to playability 

vcog  vertical center of gravity 👍
then adjusted .........

MOI , Ok I know that one 👍

I wish they put dots on the clubs to show what or where the locations are. I assume they are providing a map to the “sweet spot”, but not sure 🤔 

ive seen some of this laid out with the face of the driver by either Howard, or Stuart I can’t remember. Is that what these numbers are providing? 

My last set was a playability of 381 classic and the current set is 458 Conventional ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  

Now if I could just find  a classic look with super game improvement playability 😝 

Don't use the final score as a measure of forgiveness, or even playability.  It's really kind of a grade of how close that clubhead is to the things Ralph Maltby prefers in his designs, which are basically a low CG that's as far from the hosel as you can get.

The Actual VCOG and C Cim are important to look at.  Actual VCOG is as you'd suspect, the vertical center of gravity, in inches.  0.840" is the midpoint of the ball, if the CG is higher than that, you'd best be hitting down on the ball a bit.  🙂  The C Dim is C-Dimension, the distance in inches the CG is from the center of the hosel.  That measurement is taken at the groundline, though, not at the point of the CG. 

as a side note, MPF doesn't take into account how large the clubhead is.

MOI is in ounce-inches-squared.  The number most of us are familiar with in looking at MOI for drivers and putters, is gram-cm-squared.  If you want to convert to that scale, take the MOI listed in the MPF numbers and multiply by 182.9.  Give you perspective on the difference between driver forgiveness and iron forgiveness.  😉

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver:  Cobra Fly-Z+, Xcaliber 7.5 TS, 44", King LTD, HZRDUS 75 6.5, 44.25"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Aldila Tour Blue 85 S, 42.5"; Stage 2 Tour, SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X, 42.5"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  Mizuno MP-37, DGS300; Golden Ram TW276, NV105; Golden Ram TW282, Precision 6.5; Ram TG-898, Super Peening Blue X; 1980 Golden Rams, Dynamic S; MacGregor Muirfield, Dynamic S; Wilson Staff 78 Tour Blades, Dynamic S
GW:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400
SW:  Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS
LW:  Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.25"; Yes! Nicky, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or 50 Elite, TP5

10 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

Don't use the final score as a measure of forgiveness, or even playability.  It's really kind of a grade of how close that clubhead is to the things Ralph Maltby prefers in his designs, which are basically a low CG that's as far from the hosel as you can get.

The Actual VCOG and C Cim are important to look at.  Actual VCOG is as you'd suspect, the vertical center of gravity, in inches.  0.840" is the midpoint of the ball, if the CG is higher than that, you'd best be hitting down on the ball a bit.  🙂  The C Dim is C-Dimension, the distance in inches the CG is from the center of the hosel.  That measurement is taken at the groundline, though, not at the point of the CG. 

as a side note, MPF doesn't take into account how large the clubhead is.

MOI is in ounce-inches-squared.  The number most of us are familiar with in looking at MOI for drivers and putters, is gram-cm-squared.  If you want to convert to that scale, take the MOI listed in the MPF numbers and multiply by 182.9.  Give you perspective on the difference between driver forgiveness and iron forgiveness.  😉

Thanks..... I was wondering about the final number because I hit 716 T-MB’s  which were at 458 in the “conventional “ designation while the 

718 T-MB’s were at 552 in the “game improvement “ designation ...... I didn’t notice much difference between the two other than the sole may be a touch more narrow on the 716’s .

its a handy little site. For instance, when I’m flushing my irons, they are not in the center, but slightly towards the hosel, and when I miss, it’s low on the face, so that explains to me why some clubs I like more than others.

thanks for help with the data BTW!  

• Like 1

You really can't go wrong with a set of AP2/T100 of any generation. I don't think I've seen a single line of irons in the bags of good players as much as them. 

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9* Aldila Rogue 130MSI 60x

Taylormade Sim Max 15* Aldila Rogue 110MSI 70x

Callaway Apex '19 20* Veylix Rome 988 90x

Titleist U500 4i Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist T100 5i-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100  |  Miura CB-57 4i-7i, MB-001 8i-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist JDM Forged 51F & 56M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Titleist SM8 60S Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Toulon Austin 34" | Byron Morgan DH89 34.75/70*/2*

Titleist Pro V1x or Bridgestone Tour BXS

Ping Hoofer

16 minutes ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

You really can't go wrong with a set of AP2/T100 of any generation. I don't think I've seen a single line of irons in the bags of good players as much as them. 

Friends don't let friends play Titleist    😈

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver:  Cobra Fly-Z+, Xcaliber 7.5 TS, 44", King LTD, HZRDUS 75 6.5, 44.25"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Aldila Tour Blue 85 S, 42.5"; Stage 2 Tour, SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X, 42.5"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  Mizuno MP-37, DGS300; Golden Ram TW276, NV105; Golden Ram TW282, Precision 6.5; Ram TG-898, Super Peening Blue X; 1980 Golden Rams, Dynamic S; MacGregor Muirfield, Dynamic S; Wilson Staff 78 Tour Blades, Dynamic S
GW:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400
SW:  Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS
LW:  Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.25"; Yes! Nicky, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or 50 Elite, TP5

On 10/19/2020 at 6:15 AM, EDT501 said:

Mizuno MP 64s still have my vote for the best feel of any modern club I have hit. I also think the turf interaction on them is outstanding. If your miss is low on the face or towards the toe, there is plenty of mass in those areas to help you out. I do wish the 9 iron and PW were a little more compact, but its a minor foible in what I otherwise think is one of the best sets Mizuno ever made.

My miss tends to be thin, and I can concur,  I am pretty much spot on the distance with 9 and 8 with my MP-64's, though I just ordered a new set of MP's

On 10/22/2020 at 8:07 AM, TigerInTheWoods said:

Agree, the combination of feel, consistency, forgiveness, and looks is pretty rare! 

I have gone through SEVERAL sets over the past 3 years and I have found myself playing PING i210 and for the first time in a long time I am not searching for "backup" sets any longer.  Have been happy with forgiveness and distance control (which is a big issue with some of these lower spinning irons).

So many great options honestly... I thought the MP60 were fantastic, just hard to find a nice set anymore.  You really have to try and hit some to get a better idea for yourself.  I have some i210s and they look great but I have not found the love with them.  I can see why others have but not so much for me.  If you can find some Srixon 745/65, they might be worth a shot as well... the Ping S55 are great, too... some good Taylormade offerings... really are a lot to choose from.

Ping G400 Max 9* PX HZRDUS Yellow 63 6.0

Titleist 917f2 16.5* Aldila Rogue silver 70s

Titleist 915h 21* Aldila Rogue black 85s

Srixon Z745 4-P Modus 105s

Titleist Vokey SM6 52/12, 58/12 TI S400

Ping Anser Milled 2