2020 Zozo Championship: Tigerrrrrr! (smh)

bscinstnct

2 hours ago, Dr. Block said:

Could tiger be at some sort of decision between the practice reps he knows he needs and the concern about what they’ll do to his body?  Somethings up with him.  

Might be some of it. Tiger isn’t the player that used to be a factor every week anymore. He’s also playing shots he normally doesn’t just to get ready for Augusta. He’s not primarily trying to win this week.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

11 hours ago, DFS PFD said:

Is it just me or does Hideki whine over marginally mediocre shots more than almost anyone? Wedge to 2' and he drops the club, or misses a 60' putt by an inch and drags his putter off the green

Drives me nuts too, although I have a theory. I've ranted about this before, but based on his swing, his equipment, and the meticulous specs he has an each of clubs + the lead tape everywhere likely to meet those meticulous specs, I think he his a perfectionist and a bit of a headcase feel player. I think his weird reactions are in response to something tiny not feeling perfect in his swing or in contact and he is simply overreacting to that feeling as an expression of being hard on himself. I mean, the guy has a sweet spot wear mark on his putter like Tiger's gamer but is often a pretty cold putter. That tells me loads of practice, but headcase on the course. 

14 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Man, TWs lightened up, maybe too nice...

Rapid fire q&a:

Least favorite Japanese food...cow tongue

Was planning to join the military if the golf thing didn’t work out

Does not sing Karaoke 

Love the hairline answer, lol. 

3 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

Might be some of it. Tiger isn’t the player that used to be a factor every week anymore. He’s also playing shots he normally doesn’t just to get ready for Augusta. He’s not primarily trying to win this week.

Good observation IMO as he has both said that he will do that leading up to specific tournaments, and that the draw was a big key for him at Augusta, something that he has also said is very dependent on how his back feels. Lots of high right misses off the tee from him these days usually means attempted draw. 

Edited by Valtiel
  • Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Looking at Tiger’s play yesterday and then looking back to 2019, it is even more remarkable that he managed to win the Masters and then bag number 82. Given the way the game is now, I simply cannot see how he is anywhere near in a position to do anything other than just show up. He has played so little competitive golf but he is still nowhere near where he needs to be. He has always spoken about needing the reps to be able to play his best, the ability to put in those reps is not something he know has.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

9 minutes ago, MattyO1984 said:

Looking at Tiger’s play yesterday and then looking back to 2019, it is even more remarkable that he managed to win the Masters and then bag number 82. Given the way the game is now, I simply cannot see how he is anywhere near in a position to do anything other than just show up. He has played so little competitive golf but he is still nowhere near where he needs to be. He has always spoken about needing the reps to be able to play his best, the ability to put in those reps is not something he know has.

Based on comments he has made, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this is simply going to come down to weather. He said when its cold, his back is stiff. From there he loses speed, distance, and the ability to shape the ball right to left consistently. Tour Championship at East Lake 2018, Masters 2019, ZOZO 2019, no cold weather. Tiger put on a sweater midway through the round, and honestly at this point I just expect him not to contend when its colder. 

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Bridgestone 

1 hour ago, Valtiel said:

Based on comments he has made, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if this is simply going to come down to weather. He said when its cold, his back is stiff. From there he loses speed, distance, and the ability to shape the ball right to left consistently. Tour Championship at East Lake 2018, Masters 2019, ZOZO 2019, no cold weather. Tiger put on a sweater midway through the round, and honestly at this point I just expect him not to contend when its colder. 

I hear you and I get it, it is harder when it is colder but what was it yesterday - 65? Not hot but a million miles away from being cold. If the body is struggling when it is that cold, sadly I can’t see how much better it is going to be.

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

6 minutes ago, MattyO1984 said:

I hear you and I get it, it is harder when it is colder but what was it yesterday - 65? Not hot but a million miles away from being cold. If the body is struggling when it is that cold, sadly I can’t see how much better it is going to be.

Yeah I agree with that, I don't have a very sunny outlook on his remaining years as a pro either unless something with his back changes. It becomes a Spieth-esque problem when you're barely cracking 170mph ball speed off the driver and still missing fairways. 

Bridgestone 

16 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

Yeah I agree with that, I don't have a very sunny outlook on his remaining years as a pro either unless something with his back changes. It becomes a Spieth-esque problem when you're barely cracking 170mph ball speed off the driver and still missing fairways. 

And that’s with a TwistFace driver 😂

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Anybody else see Rory snap an iron yesterday ?  I wonder how many sleeps it will take TM to get him a replacement ?!  Lol.  

• Haha 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

23 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Anybody else see Rory snap an iron yesterday ?  I wonder how many sleeps it will take TM to get him a replacement ?!  Lol.  

He didn’t even break it in style. Would have much rather seen it go right over the knee 😂

• Like 1

Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

10 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

I guess, but Masters in 3 weeks!

It took him over a year of busting his butt and crazy focus to get to the point he could win on tour and then at Augusta. 

Even Tiger can’t go out there, playing as lame as he is, and expect for it to all come together in 3 weeks!  There’s a bunch of hungry dogs out there gonna eat his lunch.

Well, first they eat his Masters dinner...then they eat his lunch ; )

2020 is a year of rest for TW. He just eatin, smilin, and staying warm. 2021 he better get serious.  

You're right it is pretty close, but that's my thing. I don't think he can sustain something for a month or three weeks without some serious rehab on his body. Just a thought.  

Meaning, I think his whole career he was swing in a way that gave him power for his frame, but also hurt his body. Eventually, all that adds up. Contrast that to Phil, who I feel swings very naturally, and to boot has arthritis, but seems to be in pretty good shape physical health wise for golf. 

1 hour ago, 3whacker said:

when TW plays the Sherwood 5 par Fives in +3 where he normally plays them four to five under that is a huge red flag. He normally shoots 68 in his sleep on this track. If weather is now the major factor on his quality of play, ANGC in November is sweater weather at best

It might not be as cold as you might think.  It's been in the 80's consistently for a few weeks.  November is a lot like April.  Usually in the 70's.  Weather MAY be a factor, but if the track holds true, he should be OK there.  The issue is getting competitive playing rounds.  "Rust" was a given because while he plays at home, it's just not quite the same.  If he wants to round out into ANY form, he simply needs to play competitive rounds.  He's missing irons from the fairway and while driving is not his strong suit, it was noticeably worse.

The man simply needs to play under pressure.

• Like 1

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

1 hour ago, Ironman_32 said:

You're right it is pretty close, but that's my thing. I don't think he can sustain something for a month or three weeks without some serious rehab on his body. Just a thought.  

Meaning, I think his whole career he was swing in a way that gave him power for his frame, but also hurt his body. Eventually, all that adds up. Contrast that to Phil, who I feel swings very naturally, and to boot has arthritis, but seems to be in pretty good shape physical health wise for golf. 

No doubt TWs body is a wreck. 

But this is sports and that’s just “too bad” as far as the competition is concerned. TW can’t win if he’s going to just take it easy and then try to turn up the volume for a few weeks.

He’s playing against killers in a treacherous battlefield. And this ain’t TW 1.0 who can just roll out of bed after a night of “pancakes” and “SEAL” training and go kick everyone’s butt ; )

Hes gonna get smoked at Augusta. Driving, short game, putting, he may not make the cut with his game.

The only way he can win anything, much less the Masters, is to do what he did last year. Suck it up, practice and play through the pain and discomfort, hope the back can withstand it, and get his game *prime.

No other way.

I that respect, 2020 may be a good year for him to take it easy on his “old bones” and stay warm. But after the Holiday, if he wants any chance to actually win. He gotta be like,

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, MattyO1984 said:

He didn’t even break it in style. Would have much rather seen it go right over the knee 😂

Agreed, that was a 15-handicapper break.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

1 hour ago, tbowles411 said:

It might not be as cold as you might think.  It's been in the 80's consistently for a few weeks.  November is a lot like April.  Usually in the 70's.  Weather MAY be a factor, but if the track holds true, he should be OK there.  The issue is getting competitive playing rounds.  "Rust" was a given because while he plays at home, it's just not quite the same.  If he wants to round out into ANY form, he simply needs to play competitive rounds.  He's missing irons from the fairway and while driving is not his strong suit, it was noticeably worse.

Per weather websites, Augusta is about 10 degrees cooler in November... Tiger fans can hope it will be unseasonably warm!   There is a huge difference between 77 and 67, especially if the weather turns nasty.

As for rust, competitive rounds...balderdash.  Just excuses for poor play.  Athletes in team sports don't get a pass the first month or two of the season.   Bruce Lietzke used to not touch his clubs all winter, and go out and contend.   

He is out of form and old-ish, not to mention his injuries and surgeries.  Some weeks it might all come together.  But getting in "reps" won't be a magic cure...otherwise every active golfer would be contending.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, manku said:

Per weather websites, Augusta is about 10 degrees cooler in November... Tiger fans can hope it will be unseasonably warm!   There is a huge difference between 77 and 67, especially if the weather turns nasty.

As for rust, competitive rounds...balderdash.  Just excuses for poor play.  Athletes in team sports don't get a pass the first month or two of the season.   Bruce Lietzke used to not touch his clubs all winter, and go out and contend.   

He is out of form and old-ish, not to mention his injuries and surgeries.  Some weeks it might all come together.  But getting in "reps" won't be a magic cure...otherwise every active golfer would be contending.

I have family in GA.  I know the weather reasonably well.  The bottom falls out in December, and even then that's in the 50's and 60's.  It's been pretty warm thus far.

If you don't play, you don't perform well.  That's just the truth.  Who knows if he's even practicing a lot.  I'm not going to compare a golfer who played in the 70, 80's and 90's to today's player.  It's not even remotely the same game and type of play.  If you look at Bryson D, he's not even playing the same game from when TW was dominant.  If he had a consistent short game, he'd probably be dominant.  While it's well documented that he's not completely healthy and does affect his play, when golfers play consistently, they find some form.  Justin Rose was playing as poor as he has in quite some time, and this week he found his game again.  Rory snapped a club out of frustration yesterday because he's lost his for now.  Golf is like that.  But to say that someone can go out and just play after not playing competitively for 4-6 weeks (and not well at that) and have them just get it back is not realistic.

• Like 1

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

3 hours ago, tbowles411 said:

Exactly. I’m an hour north of Augusta and it was 83 here yesterday.  Supposed to be 82 tomorow with afternoon thunderstorms.  As a kid I vividly recall wearing shorts outside to play on Christmas Day.  But I’ve also seen snow in November once or twice.  Just depends.  But my money is on short sleeve weather in the afternoon and 45 ish first thing in the morning.  That’s he kicker here.  It will get cold enough for a jacket overnight and warm enough for shorts in the afternoon.  

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 minute ago, bladehunter said:

Exactly. I’m an hour north of Augusta and it was 83 here yesterday.  Supposed to be 82 tomorow with afternoon thunderstorms.  As a kid I vividly recall wearing shorts outside to play on Christmas Day.  But I’ve also seen snow in November once or twice.  Just depends.  But my money is on short sleeve weather in the afternoon and 45 ish first thing in the morning.  That’s he kicker here.  It will get cold enough for a jacket overnight and warm enough for shorts in the afternoon.  

Yup, sounds like GA.  I've visited my mom in the fall and nearly sweated to death.  The next year I went out to buy a coat.  But that's GA for you!

1 minute ago, tbowles411 said:

Yup, sounds like GA.  I've visited my mom in the fall and nearly sweated to death.  The next year I went out to buy a coat.  But that's GA for you!

Yep. I’m actually over in SC. But it’s literally identical terrain , weather and coastal area. Could be all one state if not for the savannah River boundary.  

that’s why we play golf year round here.  It’s rarely too cold to play in the afternoon.  Especially if the wind is calm.  

baring a stormy week they will be fine weather wise.   Where tiger may struggle is a very early morning tee time.  It will be cool until 10 am or so.  

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 minute ago, bscinstnct said:

Wouldn’t be the first time, he had them pretty bad in 2015

True.  He worked his way out of it, but it's still going to be a thing.  They don't just go away.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, manku said:

68 is cold? You Americans are wimps.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Bubbtubbs said:

68 is cold? You Americans are wimps.

For bad backs, it's not always ideal.  But I get what you're saying.  When I was in Germany, 68 was outstanding.

• Like 1

Tiger's just not playing competitive golf enough. He needs to be out there much more often. He will remain in catch up mode until he does,, and I can only assume it's his back that keeps him from doing this. 

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5