What 'happened' to Golf Wrx forums?

pktaske

On 12/16/2020 at 8:11 PM, john myrbch said:

I only went one page in on this thread but here's my two cents...

I browse 4 golf message boards, one of which I participate in almost every day (not this one). Each site has it's own personality, and when I describe my opinion of each, you'll know exactly which ones I'm talking about.

Site A. Probably the smallest of the 4, because the owner is insufferable and injects his opinion on almost every topic. Disagree with it, and he and his minions get very nasty.

Site B. Probably the second or third in size, this site is so pro Callaway (or whatever other OEM might be giving away trips, equipment) it is sickening.  Their staff reviews are more about the writer's humble brags both distance and shaft wise than they are helpful to anyone.

Site C. Again, maybe second or third in size, but growing thanks to the excellent testing and reviews they do. This site also is the most welcoming to the average golfer. The range of skill amongst the members runs the gamut, but the better players never look down on the lesser ones.

Site D. The biggest, but the one with the worst reputation. It's the place where if you don't play an X flex shaft and hit your drives 320 yards, your opinion is mocked. I'm sure more than half the board plays regular and stiff flex clubs, but is ashamed to admit it. Either that, or every blade, 195 yard 7 iron player in the world resides there.

The forums there are more hostile than anywhere else , but the articles, reviews and Tour WITB section are great.

Each one is different, and with the exception of site A, each bring something positive to the reader. Only one of them is a place where I like to open up and talk about myself and my game though.

a - bandtrap

b- hackers

c - eyespygolf

d- works

did i get it right?

• Haha 2

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

14 minutes ago, FairwaysToHeaven said:

a - bandtrap

b- hackers

c - eyespygolf

d- works

did i get it right?

Let’s just say you aren’t wrong, and leave it at that, ok? 😇

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 54-12

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 58-10

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

I'll be honest in saying that I haven't felt entirely welcomed into the community here.  Nothing has been said directly to me, but more than a few posters have made their strong opinions known of people like me.  As a result, I poke my head in every once in a while - hell, I've only created an account a little over a year ago now.  It's nothing to keep my account active, and just lurk for a while.

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

KSig balls for now - in search of something new

Any golfers that take the time out of their day to be on a golf forum are clearly passionate about the game to a level above the average golfer.

Sometimes those passions overflow about topics they feel strongly about and it's caused some serious arguments on the board over the years. 

While I've been a member a long time, I'm more a lurker than contributor here, mainly because I've not wanted to get pulled into those arguments in the past, however I think very few members of this board deliberately try to intimidate others or set out with the intent of causing trouble. I believe generally things just get out of hand, ego's are offended and people lose their cool. 

The only thing I don't understand is how some people on this board equate post counts to importance. It's as if the more posts you made the more important and more knowledgeable you are. That doesn't make sense to me since after all, we all had a less than 100 posts count one...

Overall I still think this is a great place to hang out, yes a number of the established and well known members have left but their is no reason why new members coming in won't fill that void over time.

Edited by Jedaigeki
  • Like 2

I don't have a dog in the fight but it's really not the mods fault when someone starts a topic they KNOW is going to get pounded and then act surprised or butt hurt when it gets closed. Admitting another poster MIGHT be right in a topic you're passionate about goes a long way sometimes to calm things down . My favorite threads are the ones that someone starts that you know is not going to end well and they make a controversial statement and never come back to the thread.

Edited by braincramp52
  • Like 2

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

I said it earlier in the thread but will say it again here....I can't even count how many times i've seen someone say something very offensive, the mods will delete it, and then that same person will go into the "website help" section and complained he got suspended or warned for "no reason". 

He'll be like "go look at the thread, i didn't even say anything, i couldn't have been nicer" LOL

Meanwhile the post where he said something very offensive is now gone

I've been here 10+ years and been warned once. And to be honest even that time was kind of unintentional (i made a joke that sounded very political but i didn't really think of it that way until it was too late). At the end of the day it's very easy to not get moderated. I have over 24000 posts and i doubt i've had more than 10 deleted 

• Like 4

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

The mods are not the problem. Never have been. 

I think anyone who has been around here for a number of years and posts with some level of frequency has been warned. It is pretty much inevitable. Like @MtlJeff, I've been warned once. It was no big deal.

Like @Jedaigeki, I'm glad the mods are around and appreciate the job they do. Given some of the discussions that I've been involved in over the years, I'm left to conclude that without the mods to hold things in check, some members would be doxing each other over which "low-spin bomber" was really lower spin and more bomb-ier, or whether we should be playing "blades" vs cavity backs. WRX members would be showing up at peoples' houses with pitchforks made of low MSI Rouges, burning staff bags in effigy, and pelting folks with Wilson Staff driver heads. So, thank you to the mods!

Second, I still look at the site revamp as a major turning point. It wasn't the change itself, but rather how the site reacted to the change that was the problem. Long time members had some issues with the new format. We knew that things weren't going well or smoothly, and we called people out on it. Some members, and I stress that it was members, decided it was their job to defend the upgrade and it got pretty nasty. IT folks don't like to be questioned. I almost left at that time.

• Like 4

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

I've never reported anyone on this site and wonder how much the function is used by members as a means of controlling a thread from spiraling out of control. 

The mods as stated are reactionary, so this feature is surely integral to aided them in moderating threads and ensure disagreements don't escalate.

@jholz I don't see any problem with burning staff bags in effigy

Edited by Jedaigeki
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jedaigeki said:

I've never reported anyone on this site and wonder how much the function is used by members as a means of controlling a thread from spiraling out of control. 

The mods as stated are reactionary, so this feature is surely integral to aided them in moderating threads and ensure disagreements don't escalate.

@jholz I don't see any problem with burning staff bags in effigy

Yeah, me neither. I just don't want it in my front yard - or "garden" as you limeys like to say.😁

• Like 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff
5 - PW Cleveland CG7 Tour Black Pearl - DGSL S300
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 50* DG Wedge
Cleveland 588 RTX Rotex 2.0 54* DG Wedge
Callaway X-Series JAWS Slate CC 58* Stock Wedge
Odyssey White Ice #7 - Golf Pride Oversize

2 hours ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Some really good points.  Yeah the original upgrade was bad, really bad. The WRX team really worked hard to make it function better and look like the old but still fell short.  I'd agree there were a few members that got kind of nasty convincing others that the problem was with them and not bad software.  Anyway fast forward to today and the new and improved version is awesome.  It's better to try and fail, dust yourself off and try again than not try at all.  Anyway it seems to coincide with the loss of some members, but my memory is likely faulty.  I'm sure there's plenty of other reasons people stop participating that have nothing to do with the site itself.

Yes I'd agree that the mods generally do a GREAT JOB.  They keep WRX from turning into the rubbish heap that's so pervasive on the internet. Yes they do respond to reports and deal with problems,  to which I'm grateful.  Some Mods are better than others.  For instance I do recall one or two mods in particular that I thought were heavy handed and snarky--- I haven't seen one of them around lately.  

Sure forum rules have been around for a long time, but it seemed they fell by the wayside during most of TW's personal problems.  As a result I think many of us thought there was a new precedent for permitted topics. Then we were surprised/frustrated later when a topic would get started about another players controversial personal issue and the Mods would promptly shut it down.  Yeah I get it, the genie left the bottle and they were trying to get it back in.  Regardless it was frustrating, confusing and perhaps instilled a bit of fear in some members. 

I'll also admit to missing a few members that were banned. But I'm going to trust they were banned for good reason and had been warned numerous times.  But that doesn't change the fact that I still miss some of their entertaining antics.

Anyway WRX is the only social media platform that I participate in.  I'm grateful for the work done by the WRX team and their dedication to maintaining the quality of this site.  Its certainly helped me get through these tough times.

Well written. This is also my only interaction with something resembling social media. I think it is a fine collection of folks that have a lot of interesting things to say, and I enjoy some of the lively debate that emerges. 

Though it is probably a trivial detail, I do enjoy the reputation points. I think it lets me know when I've succeeded in writing something compelling. When the original upgrade robbed me of my rep points, I became dis-interested and left for a few years. Glad to be back, though. I think the Mod's do a good job and you do as well Mr. Diamond. If that is you in that picture on your profile, I would be interested to know how in the world you got back to the ball with the clubhead. I would imagine it resembled the swipe Alan Shepard took on the moon 🙂  

Edited by Dr. Block
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Block said:

Well written. This is also my only interaction with something resembling social media. I think it is a fine collection of folks that have a lot of interesting things to say, and I enjoy some of the lively debate that emerges. 

Though it is probably a trivial detail, I do enjoy the reputation points. I think it lets me know when I've succeeded in writing something compelling. When the original upgrade robbed me of my rep points, I became dis-interested and left for a few years. Glad to be back, though. I think the Mod's do a good job and you do as well Mr. Diamond. If that is you in that picture on your profile, I would be interested to know how in the world you got back to the ball with the clubhead. I would imagine it resembled the swipe Alan Shepard took on the moon 🙂  

Thanks DR Block. I enjoy your contributions as well.  I come to WRX for not only information but also to be entertained and sometimes a laugh.  @Hawkeye77 deserves special mention for making laugh out loud with a post he made yesterday morning in the rules forum🤣

Like you I also miss the Rep Points from the old software.  The feedback was/is good. Obviously the new systems is much better but would have been nice to carryover from the original WRX system.

No that is not me in the photo that was compliments of Google--- he's just another nut whom I'd probably enjoy having a beer with 🙂

Edited by BlackDiamondPar5
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Thanks DR Block. I enjoy your contributions as well.  I come to WRX for not only information but also to be entertained and sometimes a laugh.  @Hawkeye77 deserves special mention for making laugh out loud with a post he made yesterday morning in the rules forum🤣

Like you I also miss the Rep Points from the old software.  The feedback was/is good. Obviously the new systems is much better but would have been nice to carryover from the original WRX system.

No that is not me in the photo that was compliments of Google--- he's just another nut whom I'd probably enjoy having a beer with 🙂

Haha, we are a fine collection of nuts on here. I often contribute some of my best (and worst) to this site while firmly in the middle of getting a load on. So, even though we can't tip a glass in person, I will tip one with you in spirit 🙂 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Dr. Block said:

Haha, we are a fine collection of nuts on here. I often contribute some of my best (and worst) to this site while firmly in the middle of getting a load on. So, even though we can't tip a glass in person, I will tip one with you in spirit 🙂 

If that's you in your avatar we'll share some J.T.S. Brown but we aren't playing pool for money!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

If that's you in your avatar we'll share some J.T.S. Brown but we aren't playing pool for money!

Haha, I'll pour the J.T.S. Brown on the rocks, and you can sing, "Go Away Little Girl".  As for the pool table, I think you might know your way around one of those pretty well. I haven't met too many good golfers who don't. 

Edited by Dr. Block
  • Like 1

Off topic, but...

When I see Dr Block's posts, I think of Planet Terror and Death Proof...

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

3 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

Off topic, but...

When I see Dr Block's posts, I think of Planet Terror and Death Proof...

Same, actually....haha

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

There is a reason this site has been around so long and out lived some many others. Updates are always painful even good ones, i work in IT so i know. But i agree rules haven't changed over the years, people don't get kicked like a former sire would do it. 

This is a great forum, i read this one and only one other. I have even put the other in chats cause it doesn't compete, guess what no one yelled at me cause they do a good job. Give a ways are awesome, better then anywhere else. Plus if you have an issue they help.

You should be happy to have this place, better then not having it. 

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

• Like 1

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

On 11/23/2020 at 1:03 AM, pktaske said:

Every so often I read a line in a post that references some significant event that occurred where the end result was diminished participation. What was it? Just wondering.

Has there been increased activity since covid?

I joined back in 2007. I had created a email account when I registered.

The second time they changed things here they wanted my email to sign in.

That email account had expired and unavailable.

May be others that just didn't bother signing back with a new user name. maybe?

Pretty obvious it was the change to a new platform that didn’t quite work out. Different look/feel that wasn’t what people were use to visiting golfwrx so they stopped, simple as that. People don’t like change, especially when it was worse. Wasn’t moderating and all that. I’m glad they switched back to a better platform.