What 'happened' to Golf Wrx forums?

pktaske

11 minutes ago, Metro07 said:

This is what happened. Was I out of line for cracking a joke in the "rules forum"? If I am considered an a##hole for this maybe I should leave.

Embarrassed to ask - Hazard drop question - Rules of Golf and Etiquette - GolfWRX

The Rules and Etiquette forum is a “different” section. Trust me, you’re not the first to feel their wrath. They (they being a few certain posters in there) basically appear to have no sense of humor in regards to the rules. Staunch seems to be a suitable word to describe them. Fortunately, they rarely venture out of that forum. That’s why there have been several posters who just don’t even go there anymore. I’ve been here for quite a while and one of the called me a troll in a thread.  One where I was asking a legimate question about a situation in a PGA event. A couple other posters actually called him out it. I appreciated the support. 

Bottom line, don’t judge the rest of the board by a few in that section. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, deadsolid...shank said:

The Rules and Etiquette forum is a “different” section. Trust me, you’re not the first to feel their wrath. They (they being a few certain posters in there) basically appear to have no sense of humor in regards to the rules. Staunch seems to be a suitable word to describe them. Fortunately, they rarely venture out of that forum. That’s why there have been several posters who just don’t even go there anymore. I’ve been here for quite a while and one of the called me a troll in a thread.  One where I was asking a legimate question about a situation in a PGA event. A couple other posters actually called him out it. I appreciated the support. 

Yeah I'm starting to see that.

38 minutes ago, Metro07 said:

This is what happened. Was I out of line for cracking a joke in the "rules forum"? If I am considered an a##hole for this maybe I should leave.

Embarrassed to ask - Hazard drop question - Rules of Golf and Etiquette - GolfWRX

No, you weren't out of line for your "joke".

IMO, you were (a bit) out of line for getting so bent out of shape about it instead of letting it roll off your back.

No biggie. ☮️ 

Edited by nsxguy
  • Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

53 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

No, you weren't out of line for your "joke".

IMO, you were (a bit) out of line for getting so bent out of shape about it instead of letting it roll off your back.

No biggie. ☮️ 

If I was called sophomoric and ignorant, I might react even worse. I thought he handled it ok.

1 minute ago, pktaske said:

If I was called sophomoric and ignorant, I might react even worse. I thought he handled it ok.

Words have meanings. I "explained" over there - no need to explain it again here. :classic_smile:

Titleist Pro V1X

2 hours ago, Metro07 said:

Why drag it over here for a referendum? Seems unnecessary. You’ve made your point you think golf is boring and this site is boring - noted I guess, but don’t see the need to take this thread in the same direction as the other one. 

“Was I wrong” on wrx is usually asked when someone hits onto a green where three guys are putting because they are on a death march 3:45 pace, and when they object hurl all sorts of juicy language at them and threaten their cats. 

3 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Why drag it over here for a referendum? Seems unnecessary. You’ve made your point you think golf is boring and this site is boring - noted I guessts. 

Hawk my bolded comments above makes me wonder about people that are newbs that have been a member for about 10 minutes but always seem to whine about golf being boring and WRX as a site is boring. <smh>

If said newbs like metro07 and others find golf and this site to be so boring why the hell are they wasting their time being a member here and complaining continually in the first place?

If WRX bothers anyone that took the time to be a new member and hates the forum that much while being new just go away. They won't be missed. 

Edited by grm24
  • Like 2

In retrospect I think I owe the members who take the rules forum more seriously than others an apology. I do also play by the rules, even when playing by myself, the old "you're only cheating yourself" philosophy. I was only cracking a joke but as a newbie I really should be treading a bit more lightly until I get the feel for this place.

To those I insulted I am truly sorry, I'll try and mind my P's&Q's a bit more.

Edited by Metro07
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is still the go to forum for all things golf. The format change

probably chased a few. 

I still visit frequently to scan the equipment. There was a time when the equipment was changing dynamically, it's iterative now. Still interesting to see the reviews and opinions, until there is another equipment ruling by the associations there's really no controversy to that side.

Distance wars, groove ruling, blade v. cavity back or gi can only be rehashed so long. It's all been said before so many times.

• Like 4

On 11/25/2020 at 4:54 AM, Hawkeye77 said:

Heck, I’ve seen all sorts of lines drawn in the sand over not taking off a cap at the end of a round. Imagine wearing jeans, not tucking in your shirt, keeping your hat on as you say “nice round, I enjoyed it” and then wearing your hat into the bar for a post-round beverage - some heads are exploding!

Considering the times we are in, gotta keep that guy employed for cleaning up those exploding heads.

• Like 1

I always click on "Unread content".   It is very irritating to see 12 unread posts to a topic instead of just seeing one unread thread.    I'd love to come to the forum and read one thread instead of seeing  "Why is Srixon always considered an underdog" twelve times.   No offense to the OP of that thread.   

I think Covid didn't help with the update, but there's more to it. I will say it is slowly coming back though.

The excitement of equipment is still here. Look at the Tour and Pre Release threads....  I think some of the more influential members left or post less. There are still some very helpful members who have maintained there patience with all the new members learning the ropes of the forum. I've been on the forum longer than I have had an account and I didn't really post much until more recently.

I remember reading about the manufacturer trips and all the shade and now they are a snippet of what they used to be. They used to be so exciting, so much so I would have my phone constantly on the thread hitting refresh. I'm still hopeful to go on one someday. Giveaways aren't the same, hardly any follow up from winners. I also remember coming on to look at @Pure745 WITB thread multiple times a day. I still love seeing everyone's sticks or at least those of you who update your threads. 

If I had to give an answer for the slow down other than the update, I say...

Life moves on for a lot of people, interests change, or people are turned away. Unfortunately it's been some of the best members leaving. I think "the topic that must not be discussed/the most divisive topic" has also consumed people's lives more over the last 4+ or so years. Also people are using other platforms to dabble in the influencer obsession, leaving little time to come here. I know a thing or two about that, two family friends are influencers with young families and it is awful seeing how much time is spent with their face in front of an Iphone and not on their children/family. Sensitive people are also rampant, and its very discouraging to see threads immediately fail after a small disagreement.

• Like 4

TM SIM 9* Ventus Black 6TX 
TM SIM Ti 19* Ventus Black 9TX 
TM P790 3 DG X100 

TM P7MC 4, 2014 MB 5-PW DG X7
TM MG 52, 56, Hi-Toe 60 DG S400
TM Spider Tour Black

On 11/25/2020 at 2:16 PM, nichho said:

As an example of how it can go wrong, there used to be a poster who put his heart and sole into producing a thread each week for that weeks PGA Tour event. If I remember correctly his name was Keanu and he provided a wealth of information about the field, the course and a ton of supplementary information.

Two posters did a real job on him, basically harassing him to the point where he left. His last post named the two posters and explained why he felt the need to leave. Never been seen since.

The board lost an asset, the other two are still here.

Close, it was kemau. His departure was very understandable under the circumstances. Sad.

Edited by Mustard_Tiger

I think the demise/decline of Wrx is greatly over stated. There are some high volume posters that don't post anymore but I don't really miss them. As someone pointed out earlier some of the guys who have gone MIA have been shown to be long term shills

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

On 11/25/2020 at 2:16 PM, nichho said:

As an example of how it can go wrong, there used to be a poster who put his heart and sole into producing a thread each week for that weeks PGA Tour event. If I remember correctly his name was Keanu and he provided a wealth of information about the field, the course and a ton of supplementary information.

Two posters did a real job on him, basically harassing him to the point where he left. His last post named the two posters and explained why he felt the need to leave. Never been seen since.

The board lost an asset, the other two are still here.

Kemau was fun and really good tournament threads, that was 5 years ago? I did some searching and found the apparent controversy that may or may not have caused him to leave - didn't seem that serious, too bad if that was the reason.  

On the other hand, there have been some other good folks as well at putting up weekly threads (and still are, especially for majors the past couple years) but over time there have been some interesting turf battles over that and the guy who dropped in to let us all know he was taking that over, lol, and literally driving off someone who was really good at the time with the Euro Tour threads, then kind of getting himself tossed.  It was strange but entertaining. 

Looking back at those old threads brings up names of quite a few who haven't been as active since changeovers and actually COVID season seems to really have taken a toll.  I miss quite a few, never good to get too "vanilla" (pun intended!).

On 11/26/2020 at 6:55 AM, DennyJones said:

I always click on "Unread content".   It is very irritating to see 12 unread posts to a topic instead of just seeing one unread thread.    I'd love to come to the forum and read one thread instead of seeing  "Why is Srixon always considered an underdog" twelve times.   No offense to the OP of that thread.   

if you are getting multiple results for the same thread, then post in the help section as there is a setting to fix that. 

As far as traffic and posting, in general there was not much change.  The posters may change but the numbers are equivalent.

• Like 1

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

On 11/26/2020 at 9:55 AM, DennyJones said:

This is STILL happening ???

I thought that was fixed months ago.

Titleist Pro V1X

17 hours ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Kemau was fun and really good tournament threads, that was 5 years ago? I did some searching and found the apparent controversy that may or may not have caused him to leave - didn't seem that serious, too bad if that was the reason.  

On the other hand, there have been some other good folks as well at putting up weekly threads (and still are, especially for majors the past couple years) but over time there have been some interesting turf battles over that and the guy who dropped in to let us all know he was taking that over, lol, and literally driving off someone who was really good at the time with the Euro Tour threads, then kind of getting himself tossed.  It was strange but entertaining. 

Looking back at those old threads brings up names of quite a few who haven't been as active since changeovers and actually COVID season seems to really have taken a toll.  I miss quite a few, never good to get too "vanilla" (pun intended!).

I thought at the time that the whole thing was a storm in a tea cup, although that might have been a lack of understanding on my part. However I always thought that it was the persistent hounding that saw him off.

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-X 220 10.5 Aldila Ascent Stiff

Mizuno ST230 16*  UST LINQ

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #4 20* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #5 22.5* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno MP 5 5- PW TTDG 95 stiff

Mizuno T22 50 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno T22 56 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

On 11/22/2020 at 1:00 PM, noodle3872 said:

The site did an update. The changes to the site left some members frustrated because it was less user friendly and took longer than expected to end up looking how it does today. 

Updates did it for me, Seems like there was at least a few. Not so much of a frustration but more that it seems like you lost everything profile wise that was there before, followers/friends/likes/etc...  And there was a definite decline of the OG members and content. I'd check in after days often and same topics in same places. Add it all together and the forum lost its magic, it's sparkle. Participation isn't as inspiring. Seems that's still the case. 

• Like 3

XRP 8.5* XS
XRP #3 XS
Cally Apex MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
Cally MD3 52*/56*/60*
Scotty Studio Select Custom

4 hours ago, nsxguy said:

As many intelligent people as post on these (and other) boards it's somewhat surprising they don't seem to understand that there is no visual or aural cues to what they write.

That was exactly why emoticons were invented, to give additional context.

i.e. to know the difference between 'Who's your daddy ? :classic_biggrin:", "Who's your daddy ? :classic_angry:" and "Who's your daddy ? :classic_ninja: "

This is so true, and worth repeating. Communication is more than just words alone. A snarky comment may appear on the computer screen as a insulting attack. 

• Like 3

On 11/25/2020 at 8:42 PM, deadsolid...shank said:

I agree. It's as if whatever the USGA says is sacrosanct and to question them is a sin of the highest order, lol. 

• Like 4

I can honestly say I've never visited the rules and etiquette section. I know the rules well enough for the guys I play with and my parents taught me etiquette.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.