Does anyone carry a strong 3 wood? If so, why?

mholmstrom

Basic Question, do you carry a strong 3 wood (less than 15 degrees) and if so, why? 

My Driver total distance is 260-270.  I started playing the Cobra F7 3W a few years ago adjusted to 14 degrees, which can get me 240-250 total distance.

Most courses i play are 6500 yds so the strong 3 wood is what I need to reach many of the par 5's in two. More importantly, I have a lot of confidence with it off the tee, so if driver isn't cooperating, I have a comfortable Plan B, going to the "hot" 3 wood off the tee, without giving up much distance. Once in awhile i stripe the 3 wood 260+ and start thinking, wow now i know what Henrick Stenson feels like. haha. 

Edited by mholmstrom
  • Like 1

DRIVER: Cobra Speedzone 10.5°  UST Elements Gold 6F4 

3-4 WOOD: Cobra King F7  14° Fujikura Pro 65S 

3 HYBRID: Titleist 910H  19° Diamana Ahina 90S 

IRONS 5-PW: Taylor Made P7-MC  Nippon  Modus  Tour 130S

GW: Titleist Vokey SM 8 F Grind  50.08 

SW: Titleist Vokey SM8 S Grind 54.10

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 S Grind 58.10 

P: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Black 

BALL: Taylor Made TP5 Pix 2.0

35 minutes ago, mholmstrom said:

Basic Question, do you carry a strong 3 wood (less than 15 degrees) and if so, why? 

My Driver total distance is 260-270.  I started playing the Cobra F7 3W a few years ago adjusted to 14 degrees, which can get me 240-250 total distance.

Most courses i play are 6500 yds so the strong 3 wood is what I need to reach many of the par 5's in two. More importantly, I have a lot of confidence with it off the tee, so if driver isn't cooperating, I have a comfortable Plan B, going to the "hot" 3 wood off the tee, without giving up much distance. Once in awhile i stripe the 3 wood 260+ and start thinking, wow now i know what Henrick Stenson feels like. haha. 

I have a similar story and distances to you re par 5's and driver co-operation.

For a strange reason I don't like the look of small headed fairway woods off a tee (but like them from the fairway). For that reason I play the Cobra Fly-Z which is a  181cc head that has a large footprint but still shallow enough to elevate off the fairway. Been having some driver issues and have turned down the loft to 13 deg for now and hitting it beautifully as a tee club.

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

I sold my 13.5* Callaway Epic SZ, it just went too far at times that I needed more separation from the driver. The worst is hitting less than driver off the tee deliberately and hitting it thru the fairway of a dog leg or reaching a fairway bunker.

I went back to my 16* 4 wood Callaway Steelhead. Not as long obviously but I consistently hit the yardage I am looking for. 

I gamed one for years as it was more a tee club on shorter 4's then a from the deck club: my public courses didn't have the fairways that I could confidently strike a strong 3 from the deck outside of winter rules. 

I've gone back to a 4w for a year now and not looking back: just looks yummy at address vs. I hope I get this airborn 😄 

I use mine, 13.5 Adams, as mainly a tee club... it’s great for holes where I can’t hit driver but want to maximize distance (with no roll). I can play it off the fairway, but rarely use it for that... not many 250+ yard shots into greens.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

9 hours ago, mholmstrom said:

What you said!  I bag a Srixon F85 3+.  It is automatic off the tee.  If the driver isn't cooperating, the 3+ always finds the fairway and not far behind a pured driver hit.  It's also straight and easy to hit off the deck for par 5's.  I play league at a course that is only 6,200.  There are 27 holes but all 3 - 9's are about the same length.  I only hit driver on 5 of the 27 holes.  The 3+ puts me in the fairway for a short iron in.  

• Like 2

Driver: Callaway Mavrik

4 Wood: PXG Gen 5

7 Wood: PXG Gen 5 

Irons: Cleveland ZipCore XL (5-AW)
Wedges: Cleveland CBX 4 ZipCore  (54, 58)
Putter: Toulon Memphis

I play the 14* rocket SiM Ti 3w turned down to 12*, not only to fill a yardage/gapping need, but specifically for the spin reduction.  I had been playing a 917F2 13.5* turned down to 12.75* for a few years and the SiM was just better. 

TaylorMade SiM 6.5* Graphite Design AD HD 6x Tipped 1"
Titleist TSR2+ 3w (C1) 12.25*  Tensei 1K Black 75x

Titleist TSi3 17* (C1) Hybrid Fujikura Motore Speeder Tour spec HB 8.8X 

Titleist U505 4i Mitsubishi MMT 105TX
Titleist T100S 5i-PW Mitsubishi MMT 105TX
Vokey SM9 48*F, 53*F, 58*S DG TI Onyx S400's
Artisan SS 0217 Putter
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/777451-518titleistx-2013-witb-warning-heavy-titleist-content-inside/"]WITB Link[/url]

I use it off the tee a lot so yea. Both my 3 woods are adjusted strong (13 or 13.5)

I don't find it makes a massive difference over 15 degrees anyway. No more than probably 5-7yds i would guess

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I don’t.  My 5w goes almost as far as my 3w so I dropped it.  Now if my home course was open and you could chase 3 woods onto par 5’s I would likely change things up.  I can hit my g400 3 wood off the deck even when turned down to big minus .. 13.5*

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I did the opposite.  I had a 15 degree 3 wood but got rid of it and now using a 16.5 (4 wood).  Better gapping with my Driver.  After the 4 wood i do a hybrid 19".  

10 played at 9.25 TSI2 w/ Ventus Black 6x

16.5 degree TSI2 w/ Ventus Blue 7x

19 degree Sim Max Hybrid w/ Ventus Blue 8x/ZXU 3 Recoil 95 f5

ZXU 4 w/ Recoil 95 F5

5-p ZX7 Nippon Modus 120x 

SM8 52f/56S/60D 

Bettinardi Inovai 6.0, Sik Flo w/ LAGolf Shaft, Toulon Las Vegas, Special Select Newport 2 custom, Bettinardi Queen B 6

Year before last (after 11+ years) I retired my CB2 3+ and replaced it with a CBX119 3+ (13.2* measured). I re-shafted it with more of a mid-launch shaft. The main reason I use a 3+ is because it's windy at my home course and a lower/stronger flight is preferred , I personally see zero difference in launching it from the deck vs its brother (a 15* CBX 119 built with the same shaft) and have to adjust for a flatter trajectory and more roll. Where it shines though is off the tee on short par 4's. It's normally around 20 yards shorter than my driver and I can turn it over left to right a little better (consistently). 

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

I only adjust my 3w down to 3+ (13*+/-) when playing long courses where it will be an advantage. I typically play it at 15.5 so I can get a high trajectory when needed. It's strictly course dependent.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

I owned a few 13* fairways in my time, and they have a place in my bag depending on what courses I play. My recent TM Sim 3 wood offers the best package for me, 

At 15 * , it has the adjustability to go to 13* which now gives me the options I need from time to time, given the v sole is weighted, its a breeze to get airbourne at 13*. And gets  a touch open when adjusting from 15* to 13*. It is a weapon with options.

Whether from the tee or fairway, 

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

13.5° as a second driver that hits low bullets and I can draw, as driver is almost all cuts keeping the left side out of play.  I don't care much about gapping at the top end, and have considered a 2nd driver that I can draw - something either draw biased or smaller headed like an Original One or an older model that's easier for me to turn over.  I went with 3W in case I need it off the fairway which is not difficult.  Good club.  It's been more useful than 15° ever was for me.

D1 Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 D2 TM R510TP, 757X 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, CX3. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

There was a small time when I played strong 3 woods in the 13.5 range but after a while, hitting a par 5 in two became more risk than reward at times. For me the 3 wood wasn’t really give me that much greater of a shot to hit it in two. I was using it so sparingly, that when I used it, the confidence was not where I needed it to be. I think for me now, if I’m not inside 250 for a second shot into a par 5, the better golfer in me takes the setup shot versus the risk reward shot. I’m carrying a 15 now and it gets me the 240 I need if I have that opportunity. Other than that, I’m right at 95 yards after my second and suddenly I’m licking my chops with my gap wedge in my hand. All preference I think. 

Edited by llewol007

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

Playing a Taylormade M5 FW (14 deg set to 12 deg). Very easy to hit from the deck. 

Driver: Taylormade SIM, 8 degrees, VA Composite Drago 75 X-Stiff

3W: Taylormade M5 15 degrees, VA Composite Drago 75 X-Stiff

Hybrids: Titleist 915H (3-6)Project X 6.0 Flighted shafts

Irons: Bridgestone J40 (7-P), Project X 6.0 Flighted shafts

Wedges: Bridgestone J33 (50,56,60), Project X 6.0 Flighted shafts

Putter: Directed Force 2.1 Putter

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

Today's 15* loft 3-woods have 43" or 43.5" shafts which make them a very long hitting club. Consequently, there is no practical purpose for a stronger lofted (12* to 14*) 3-wood.

In the old days the 2-wood (strong 3-wood) was carried by some players instead of a 1-wood (driver). But these days everybody wants to have a driver in the bag so that has made the 2-wood (strong 3-wood) obsolete.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

I've been using the X2 Hot 3 Deep since it came out, tried everything in comparison and it's still in the bag. It replaced a Sonartec SS07, which was also fantastic....3 woods tend to stay in the bag a loooooonnnng time.

Edited by vman

Whatever works.

11 hours ago, Fairway14 said:

Today's 15* loft 3-woods have 43" or 43.5" shafts which make them a very long hitting club. Consequently, there is no practical purpose for a stronger lofted (12* to 14*) 3-wood.

In the old days the 2-wood (strong 3-wood) was carried by some players instead of a 1-wood (driver). But these days everybody wants to have a driver in the bag so that has made the 2-wood (strong 3-wood) obsolete.

It's not obsolete. No matter how close I hit my 3w relative to my driver off the tee, I still need something to go as far as I need it to out of the fairway.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10* - Accra TZ Five 70 M4

TM SIM2 Ti 15*, M5 Ti 19* - Tour AD DI 8 X

Ping i230 4, iBlade 5-9, SM9 46* - KBS Tour 120 S

Ping Glide Pro Forged 50*, Epon Tour M Muko 56*, 60*- Modus 125 W

Evnroll ER5.1

2 minutes ago, mattman said:

It's not obsolete. No matter how close I hit my 3w relative to my driver off the tee, I still need something to go as far as I need it to out of the fairway.

If a 15* 3-wood does not produce enough distance from a fairway lie then you should probably play a shorter set of tee boxes.

I think any player swinging 3-wood from the fairway more than twice per round is likely playing a course too long for their game.

3 minutes ago, Fairway14 said:

If a 15* 3-wood does not produce enough distance from a fairway lie then you should probably play a shorter set of tee boxes.

I think any player swinging 3-wood from the fairway more than twice per round is likely playing a course too long for their game.

Simply incorrect. I play all kinds of courses with ~560 yd par 5's which, for me, require a 260-270 yard second shot. Which is what I get out of a 13.5*

Edited by mattman
  • Like 2

Evnroll ER5.1

2 minutes ago, mattman said:

Simply incorrect. I play all kinds of courses with ~560 yd par 5's which, for me, require a 260-270 yard second shot. Which is what I get out of a 13.5*

Typically a course will have four par 5 holes ranging from about 490 to 570 yards. And of that group two holes are usually narrow fairways with a well protected green and the other two are usually wider with a lager green. In any case modern 15* 3-woods have large heads and long shafts, suitable for level fairway lies. Strong lofted 13* 3-woods demand an even more perfect, sitting up, level lie. So, it's rare one would get the combination of great lie and long distance required more than twice per round.

For my own game I probably average playing a 3-wood shot from the fairway once every three or four rounds of golf. It's in the bag because I swing it from three to five tee boxes per round.

23 minutes ago, Fairway14 said:

Typically a course will have four par 5 holes ranging from about 490 to 570 yards. And of that group two holes are usually narrow fairways with a well protected green and the other two are usually wider with a lager green. In any case modern 15* 3-woods have large heads and long shafts, suitable for level fairway lies. Strong lofted 13* 3-woods demand an even more perfect, sitting up, level lie. So, it's rare one would get the combination of great lie and long distance required more than twice per round.

For my own game I probably average playing a 3-wood shot from the fairway once every three or four rounds of golf. It's in the bag because I swing it from three to five tee boxes per round.

Right, so on average twice a round I'll have an opportunity to go at a par 5 in two from about 260 yards. Maybe 250 which is not the hardest adjustment with a 3w, and even if it does go a bit long, fine. At my home course, there are three holes where I tend to hit the 3w off the tee, and it's more so about it being easier to draw than a driver than it is staying short of trouble. I've got a 230 yd club for the 250 yard hazard. 

To your point about playability, I played a 15* for years and don't find the lower loft to be any more difficult to hit. If anything, it's 10 yards longer and a more piercing ball flight. 

Whether I had a 15* or a 13.5*, I wouldn't hit it more than a couple times a round. But I'd rather have that extra length for when I need it, because why not? Take advantage of modern technology and try to get as many strokes from the course as you can out of length. If I had a 15*, I might find myself locked out of the carry I need from time to time, playing different courses.

It seems you and I have different uses/philosophies about our 3 wood, but the 13.5* not an obsolete club. 

Edited by mattman

Evnroll ER5.1

I was REALLY under the impression that each individual golfer got to choose what was appropriate for their game. If Mattman and I both play with strategies that periodically call for a strong 3w, then I supposed we should be welcome to carry said club without being browbeaten about playing the wrong tees. Part of the game of golf is the challenge. As for myself, I sometimes play courses that others deem "too long for my game". When I do this, I make every effort to maintain my normal pace of play which is right behind the group ahead of me or 3 hrs on an open course. Even on courses that are "typical" in design and length, the need for a strong 3w comes up. Say I have a hole where I would like to drive the green, but the group ahead of me is taking their time putting out and another group has pulled up. In that case, I take my strong 3w and place the ball just short of the green. Just because FW14 thinks there is no reasonable need for a 3w+, doesn't mean that is the case for everyone.

Also, to suggest one needs a perfect lie to play a shot with a 3w+ is borderline offensive IMHO.

BT

Edited by Ri_Redneck
  • Like 1

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

I did when I was young and strong enough to hit it well, now I use a 5 wood.

Anyone remember the Callaway Deuce?

I also used to play my TM Burner Bubble 9.5 as a fairway wood, these mailbox size drivers not as easy to hit off the deck.

2021 Bag Update:

Epic Max LS - MMT 60S

Epic Flash 5 Wood

Epic 3/4 Hybrids

Apex '21 Irons 5-7  MMT95 TT

Apex Pro '21 Irons 8-A  MMT95 TT

PM Grind Slate Wedges 58/64

Odyssey Exo Mini 7s

B330 XS Yellow

2 minutes ago, Ri_Redneck said:

Just because FW14 thinks there is no reasonable need for a 3w+, doesn't mean that is the case for everyone.

Obviously players can put whatever clubs they want within their bags. This is a discussion forum and my contribution to this thread was to make points about why the strong 3-wood is not especially popular. Sorry if you interpret those points to mean "no player should carry a strong 3-wood", because that was not my intention.

In my own bag I carry a 64* wedge, a loft I am certain lots of people would believe does not make good sense. But I was struggling to play particular shots well and found the 64* to be helpful. If you guys who carry a strong 3-wood find it helps you shoot lower scores that's great.

• Like 1