How Has Golf Affected Your life?

Soloman1

@PappyVanWinkle53 - Nice story.  Though I am a single malt man, need to replenish my Pappy...

Take care.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

7 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Menwith Hill? The giant golf balls on the moor! I'm not sure if the golf balls are still there, but they were a landmark in the area when I was growing up. I think they featured--or were copied--in a James Bond film. Did you spend some time in North Yorkshire as a child, then? That's a beautiful part of Britain. There is--or was-- a pretty decent pub near the golf balls, if I remember right.

I've been past it twice.  Last time I stayed at Rudding Park.  The first time, my driver who was former operator, informed me of its secrecy.  Said if were to break down on the roadway, we wouldn't be alone for long.  After a red eye flight into Manchester and a ride from there and barely keeping my eyes open, a cow pasture with giant golf balls was not something I was expecting to see.  

• Like 2

Wow, I seem to be the solo weirdo. It's not that I don't like playing with others, I just prefer to be by myself with my game and my thoughts.

I love playing with my son and grandson, but I also like the quiet reflection. Especially when there is little to nobody else out.

Just me trying to get this little ball into that cup way over there.

• Like 3

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

1 hour ago, lefthack said:

Wow, I seem to be the solo weirdo. It's not that I don't like playing with others, I just prefer to be by myself with my game and my thoughts.

I love playing with my son and grandson, but I also like the quiet reflection. Especially when there is little to nobody else out.

Like @Soloman1 said, there's nothing wrong with enjoying a solo round of golf. When I was a junior, I used to love whipping round the course by me sen on a summer evening, occasionally dropping an extra ball here or there to practise different shots. More than anything else, I just enjoyed the time to myself in an open space. 

I miss that now, as playing by oneself in Japan is pretty much impossible. At least, for regular golfers.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Like @Soloman1 said, there's nothing wrong with enjoying a solo round of golf. When I was a junior, I used to love whipping round the course by me sen on a summer evening, occasionally dropping an extra ball here or there to practise different shots. More than anything else, I just enjoyed the time to myself in an open space. 

I miss that now, as playing by oneself in Japan is pretty much impossible. At least, for regular golfers.

Slightly random question but @No_Catchy_Nickname have you had the chance to play Golden Valley in Hyogo. I played there as a 16 year old and really didn't fully appreciate at the time how special a trip it was. 

1 hour ago, Jedaigeki said:

Slightly random question but @No_Catchy_Nickname have you had the chance to play Golden Valley in Hyogo. I played there as a 16 year old and really didn't fully appreciate at the time how special a trip it was. 

No, I haven't. I've played some golf in Shikoku, and now I play most of my golf in Northern Kyushu and Yamaguchi prefecture. If you were in Hyogo, did you ever play the Mt Rokko golf course? I think it's the oldest course in Japan, or one of the very oldest. A Japanese bloke described it to me thus: The British turned up at the newly opened port of Kobe, and promptly rushed up the mountain to build a golf course.

I think he was exaggerating just a wee bit, but I still love the imagery.

4 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

It's easy to take the lack of traffic for granted for sure. I played 7 holes with 3 balls this morning and there was one guy ahead of me and the usual foursome was teeing off as I cleared 7. That was it.

I just started playing here a couple months back, so not sure what busy will look like. But I will take what I can get.

I play from tee box to green, but it's more practice than golf. It's like taking a ball down to the park to shoot hoops. Not playing a game, just shooting around on a course and not in my driveway.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

14 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

No, I haven't. I've played some golf in Shikoku, and now I play most of my golf in Northern Kyushu and Yamaguchi prefecture. If you were in Hyogo, did you ever play the Mt Rokko golf course? I think it's the oldest course in Japan, or one of the very oldest. A Japanese bloke described it to me thus: The British turned up at the newly opened port of Kobe, and promptly rushed up the mountain to build a golf course.

I think he was exaggerating just a wee bit, but I still love the imagery.

Sadly not, I was staying with a family as part of a 3 month student exchange program. 

The husband of the family I stayed with played golf and we would go to the driving range regularly but we only played the one round of golf and that was at  Golden Valley. I remember him being excited to take me as it was a highly rated course and also being very grateful and I knew it was a fairly expensive outing for his family to fund. 

13 minutes ago, Jedaigeki said:

Sadly not, I was staying with a family as part of a 3 month student exchange program. 

The husband of the family I stayed with played golf and we would go to the driving range regularly but we only played the one round of golf and that was at  Golden Valley. I remember him being excited to take me as it was a highly rated course and also being very grateful and I knew it was a fairly expensive outing for his family to fund. 

I just looked that course up. What a gem! But, yeah, pricey. Golf's a lot cheaper here than it used to be, especially away from the major urban areas, but a round at the weekend on even a public or semi-private course will run to 100 pounds or so where I am.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2021 at 6:36 PM, Pepperturbo said:

@PappyVanWinkle53 - Nice story.  Though I am a single malt man, need to replenish my Pappy...

Take care.

It's getting harder and harder to find a bottle these days....unless you're willing to pay 10x secondary prices.  I'm def getting much more into scotch, although bourbon remains my go-to.  Cheers.

• Thanks 1

I think golf is the greatest game ever invented. You are outside in the fresh air with grass, trees and occasionally wildlife around you. You can play well into your senior years. You can still compete with your peers long after you have lost the ability to play other sports. It teaches you  both patience and humility. Also, golf requires integrity. It's the only sport where you are primarily your own referee. I'm 71 and obviously on the "back nine" of life, When I go, I want to go like Bing Crosby: having a drink after a good round. 

• Like 4

I was a scratch or better golfer till I was in my early 40's, and broke my left wrist for the 5th time, right around the time my youngest son was born. Quickly ballooned to a 16 or so after the cast came off. I quit, concentrating instead on fishing and hunting with my kids.. Kids grow, young one went away to school, Covid strikes. He came home with and interest in golf. ( He had been playing while he was away, but his grades were still very good LOL). He dragged me out there. We had a ball. I ended up giving him my old Yonex ADX, not to be confused with the Super ADX forgings,the shaft was too stiff for me, and I picked up some old Mizunos with a regular shaft off EBay. Started playing with the young guys at my new "retirement" job. (I guess in 2018 at 59 I wasn't really ready to fish, hunt, and nap every day so I took on a job with cool toys, I'll quit when it's time), Discovered I was still much better than the average hack. Not good, just good enough. Now two of my sons. the kid next door I have known his whole life and I play or hit a range or sim at least once a week. Golf has kept us together through these weird times.

Edited by Esox
  • Like 4

On 1/7/2021 at 10:20 AM, lefthack said:

I reserve my preference for solitude for dawn on the Great Lakes or a northern MI trout stream. I am seldom disappointed.

Edited by Esox
  • Like 1

The odd round when you join a random group or playing in our local semi-private course’s league has helped guide many relationships, both business and personal.

I have found that you really get to see who a person is while golfing with them.  If they are honest in life, they will be honest in golf.  If they are fun in life, they will be fun during a round of golf.  So, whether it is building friendships or business relationships, I have really enjoyed what golf has shown me.

Some of my best friends today, I would never have met without golf.  Same for business, I have built some great business relationships by golfing with some potential clients or just with random business contacts.  It is amazing the trust and friendship that you can build while spending 4 hours with somebody!

• Like 2

On 1/8/2021 at 7:25 PM, Esox said:

I was a scratch or better golfer till I was in my early 40's, and broke my left wrist for the 5th time, right around the time my youngest son was born. Quickly ballooned to a 16 or so after the cast came off. I quit, concentrating instead on fishing and hunting with my kids.. Kids grow, young one went away to school, Covid strikes. He came home with and interest in golf. ( He had been playing while he was away, but his grades were still very good LOL). He dragged me out there. We had a ball. I ended up giving him my old Yonex ADX, not to be confused with the Super ADX forgings,the shaft was too stiff for me, and I picked up some old Mizunos with a regular shaft off EBay. Started playing with the young guys at my new "retirement" job. (I guess in 2018 at 59 I wasn't really ready to fish, hunt, and nap every day so I took on a job with cool toys, I'll quit when it's time), Discovered I was still much better than the average hack. Not good, just good enough. Now two of my sons. the kid next door I have known his whole life and I play or hit a range or sim at least once a week. Golf has kept us together through these weird times.

Love it...awesome story and thanks for sharing!! Family is so precious, glad you’re able to spend that special time with your son!

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

20 hours ago, Sean2 said:

I did play golf with a gentleman who was in his 50s. We started talking about when we took up golf, and like me he started at the age of 50. I asked why he took up the game and he said he has such a great life he needed an activity that would aggravate him, lol. 

LOL... Golf can definitely be a great sport to cure low blood pressure 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

At a fork in a road in life 10years ago , I joined a  local golf club, at the very least it saved my marriage and more. Met so many good people , my life would be a vacuum without it ,, oh and it’s a great game to play , health fitness , fun and the camaraderie from being a club member , Ive never looked back 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I am with you.  I like to concentrate on what I am doing.  Test different balls (bad habit) and remember my round instead of what others were doing.  I also like enjoying nature on the course with birds, ducks and other animals.     I find helping others find their ball and possibly having to deal with their meltdowns to be tiring.   I play on munis so rubbing shoulders with CEOs and other types is not happening.

I am potentially working on a major project in semi retirement with someone in Europe who is pretty close to scratch.  I never met him face to face.  We do talk about golf.

Edited by FakeClubPro
  • Like 1

Golf is a great sport to connect with with people. I have a small consulting engineering outfit and I hired 2 of my young engineers in part because they both played collegiate golf. When a client or prospective client invites us to their charity scramble, or we invite one along for a golf round - these good golfers make an impact. Fascinating to watch a hardened businessman melt over a golf swing, but the game just does that to people. A couple rounds of drinks and winning a dumb scramble has gotten me  a few really good customers.

From a personal perspective golf is a big part of my family's life. I have 3 daughters and I made it my mission to make sure that they had the same interests as me so that we could go on family vacations to places where we can do those things. They being surfing, golfing and fishing. Luckily all 3 can be done in roughly the same vacation locales (Kapalua in June!). My youngest turned into a golf nut, so now I get to golf more than ever. I am taking a long lunch break today for a range session and on course practice. My wife loves that we are steering our retirement to the desert south because of golf.

From a social perspective, golf has been immensely fun. It combines competitive sports, gambling and drinking and is played in some of the most beautiful locations - pretty much unbeatable. I play badly in amateur events, a couple different clubs and in a bi-weekly money game. It took me some years to gain perspective on what it means to be a high handicap golfer, but now I can enjoy even my worst rounds. 

• Like 1

Obviously don't have anything similar to OP, although I met a guy in my industry who joined our threesome on Sunday and it inspired me to reach out to him via LinkedIn. He says to invite him any time I need a 4th lol.

Golf started my working life. In Illinois, it wasn't legal to work prior to the age of 14 when I was a kid (probably similar now) except for as a caddie, which could start at 13. So I started caddying at 13. So for a summer, I woke up pretty much pre-dawn, hopped on my bike and pedaled a couple miles to Chicago Golf Club, and waited to see if I could make a few bucks. Had a good time, learned a lot... Even got Mike Ditka's autograph. He wasn't a member, but was a guest--not even in my group--and we got stranded in the halfway house during a thunderstorm. I gathered up the courage to go approach him and he signed my yardage book. 

The next summer (possibly two, I don't recall) at 14 you could legally work as long as your school approved. At that point I was the starter at a little 9 hole executive course. Much longer bike ride, but much easier work. 

I think it taught me a lot about work, about work ethic, etc. Getting up in the morning for a job I didn't "need" by any stretch--it's not like I was supporting my parents. But I'd committed to be there, and so I showed up and did what I was asked to do. 

Would I be the same person today if I hadn't started working at that age? I don't know. But golf gave me jobs that early in my life, and I have to think that was a positive.

• Like 3

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

Golf makes such a big impact on my life. From new friends, new business contacts and new golf buddies. This game introduces you to different things that you can apply to life. I can sit down by myself and watch the majors all day and be in my place. The impact is awesome on all levels and for me, I can wait till my kids can round out my foursome and build their love for the game as much as I do. 

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, that's what I was starting to think as well, not about you, but me 😉

I play solo mostly because we moved to a new town during the pandemic and haven't tried socializing much right now.  I also don't like planning things around my round but instead just like to jump on the course when I can.  I live across the street from #6 tee box on my course so I usually wait for an opening, and then jump on and play.  The other thing about playing solo is that I can get nine in at just 85-90 minutes (walking) which makes it easier to fit in right before dinner.  

I play probably 6x a week (mostly 9 holes).  Since August, I've lost 20 lbs which has largely come from so much walking on the course (and nixing the late night eating).  This has helped me immensely with my wife not getting on my case as much for how much I play.  I just point to my stomach  🙂

• Like 3