2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Looking for the perfect irons for a player without an ego.

ShAMbotay

7 minutes ago, DArnie said:

No ego? Try the Maltby line TS 1/ TS 2 or one of the others. You can order an individual iron with whatever shaft you want and give them a try. Excellent clubs at great pricing. 

Sub70 is also a good route... the 699 pro might be a good fit. Can order one or demo one.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

Used MP63...or a newer JPX set.Ping i210 seems very popular.

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

there seems to be a lot of love for the Ping i210, and the Ping G425. What I'm worried about is whether the I210 is forgiving enough, and whether the G425 has those low spin missiles that plague game improvement and player's distance Irons.

Callaway Customs Rogue ST Max LS @ 9.5 - LAGP Bryson Series 65-4

PING G430 LST 3W - LAGP Bryson Series 75-4

Callaway Apex UW 21° - LAGP Bryson Series 75-4
PING i210 4-U - Recoil Prototype Customs 95 F4
Artisan 54°, 58° - Recoil Prototype 95 F4
Artisan 0418 putter

Chrome Tour, Z-Grip+2, really weird full alligator Vokey stand bag that I've never seen pictures of on the internet

Just now, ShAMbotay said:

there seems to be a lot of love for the Ping i210, and the Ping G425. What I'm worried about is whether the I210 is forgiving enough, and whether the G425 has those low spin missiles that plague game improvement and player's distance Irons.

If you’re a 7-8 handicap the i210s are plenty forgiving. You obviously can strike the ball pretty consistently. If you were talking about the Blueprints then it might be a different story. 210s are really easy to hit

Still in testing phase but this 1020 sweetness will replace my current gamer...

6B10CFE6-ECA0-42FA-AFA4-93B3A933C3B7.gif

Callaway Rogue ST Triple Diamond SZ (9) | Project X HZRDUS SB Smoke Green S
Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero Tour (17) | Project X HZRDUS HC Yellow S

Callaway Apex UW (19) | Project X HZRDUS HC Yellow S
New Level NLU01 (21) | SteelFiber i110 Black Label S 1HS
Ballistic CB (4-PW) | SteelFiber i110 Black Label S 1HS
Edel SMS(D) 50,56 | SteelFiber i105 Black Label S

Byron Morgan 615 | Stability Tour Black

Snell MTB-X

4 hours ago, jomatty said:

An apex combo set could work well

+1. The new Apex Deep Cavity Back may fit the bill. It essentially competes against the Ping 425 and is getting strong reviews. Could combo with standard Apex. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

21 hours ago, ShAMbotay said:

I've been keeping up with most iron releases this year, and almost all of them are fit to specific demographics, assuming that there is a "bell curve". the manufacturers assume that the better player wants to have a club that they like to look at, with a thin topline, little offset, and provides more control and shot shaping ability. For the recreational or aging player, they market irons that have strong lofts, are forgiving, and are designed to go far, even if sometimes the distance consistency isn't there. sometimes, with game improvement irons and players distance irons, you get that shot that inexplicably goes 20 yards long. while that can be great for a specific part of the bell curve that welcomes the extra distance, many better players steer clear of these irons because of these shots.

I want the best of both worlds in a set of irons, without the ego. I want the forgiveness and yes, the confidence inspiring shape of a thick topline and offset, particularly behind the long irons that come from the game improvement category, but I want the distance consistency that the player's irons are known for. What I could do without is the strong lofts and blatant pursuit of distance above all else that plagues the game improvement category, but there's nothing more terrifying to me than a muscle back long iron behind the ball.

imagine an 8hcp that doesn't fit the bell curve that manufacturers use for their cookie cutter target demographics. Please discuss, suggestions welcome.

Let's see now. You want something middle of the road vis-a-vis consistency and forgiveness.

And you're an "8".

I'd say you fit the manufacturer's "bell curve"/target demographics perfectly. :classic_biggrin:

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

5 hours ago, jomatty said:

An apex combo set could work well

1 hour ago, dmeeksDC said:

+1. The new Apex Deep Cavity Back may fit the bill. It essentially competes against the Ping 425 and is getting strong reviews. Could combo with standard Apex. 

I've been debating on going for a Triple Play Apex combo set, but I worry about the DCB 4 and 5 iron, and whether they'll launch super high like my 0211's(which I like) and whether they'll have that occasional low spin missile, also like my 0211's(which I don't like).

I've also questioned whether the Apex Pro '21 are a good option. what I'm most worried about is the launch and forgiveness in the long irons there, particularly the 3 and 4.

Artisan 0418 putter

Chrome Tour, Z-Grip+2, really weird full alligator Vokey stand bag that I've never seen pictures of on the internet

5 minutes ago, ShAMbotay said:

I've been debating on going for a Triple Play Apex combo set, but I worry about the DCB 4 and 5 iron, and whether they'll launch super high like my 0211's(which I like) and whether they'll have that occasional low spin missile, also like my 0211's(which I don't like).

I've also questioned whether the Apex Pro '21 are a good option. what I'm most worried about is the launch and forgiveness in the long irons there, particularly the 3 and 4.

A fitting will answer all of that. Could be you go triple play or maybe you go Apex/Apex Pro or maybe just a full set of Apexes. I’ve got a buddy who works for the Tour — very good play, still competes in amateur events — probably a 3-4 handicap. He plays a full set of standard Apexes. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

Just now, dmeeksDC said:

A fitting will answer all of that. Could be you go triple play or maybe you go Apex/Apex Pro or maybe just a full set of Apexes. I’ve got a buddy who works for the Tour — very good play, still competes in amateur events — probably a 3-4 handicap. He plays a full set of standard Apexes. 

the only 3 places around that I could get a fitting are Golf Galaxy, PGA Tour Superstore, and Club Champion. while all great places to get fit, there's a particular flaw in their fitting protocols. they only have you hit the 7 iron of each set. For me, I'd want to be able to hit the 4iron in a fitting, especially if I'm thinking about going with a combo set. Just because I can hit the 7iron of a set great doesn't necessarily mean that the 4iron is good, too, and not all 4irons are created equal.

Artisan 0418 putter

1 minute ago, tannyhoban said:

The world's your oyster, there are tons of options used and new.

I gotta admit I really don't understand where ego comes in.

Try stuff and find what you get good results with.

the ego bit was a bit of a wise crack at me being around a skill level of someone who's ego might be such that they want to play "pretty blades", but shouldn't be. In fact, I want to play shovels, but they have inconsistencies that make them seem oddly unforgiving for being game improvement irons. I was just trying to be funny.

• Thanks 1

Artisan 0418 putter

I am a 6 handicap and play the jpx 919 tour. I ordered the ping g425 iron a few weeks , should have them in hand in a few days. 

I found the g425 look more like a players iron with amazing forgiveness. I did extensive indoor testing and couldn’t believe how forgiving it was compared to my current set. I ordered the pings in power lofts so the iron lofts match with my current set although the numbering is off I.e gap wedge in g425 matches my jpx pw etc, I am not worried about having two gap wedges. also making them power spec reduces the bounce a little bit which is more in line with my current set (mizunos are low bounce). 

I think this whole issue of flyers with game improvement irons is a myth. Any iron out of rough is going to drop spin and go further. I have had my share of flyers out of rough with the jpx tours . When in rough, be cognizant of this and choose your shot accordingly 

• Thanks 1

Just now, moadhia said:

I am a 6 handicap and play the jpx 919 tour. I ordered the ping g425 iron a few weeks , should have them in hand in a few days. 

I found the g425 look more like a players iron with amazing forgiveness. I did extensive indoor testing and couldn’t believe how forgiving it was compared to my current set. I ordered the pings in power lofts so the iron lofts match with my current set although the numbering is off I.e gap wedge in g425 matches my jpx pw etc, I am not worried about having two gap wedges. also making them power spec reduces the bounce a little bit which is more in line with my current set (mizunos are low bounce). 

I think this whole issue of flyers with game improvement irons is a myth. Any iron out of rough is going to drop spin and go further. I have had my share of flyers out of rough with the jpx tours . When in rough, be cognizant of this and choose your shot accordingly 

I've had several of these flyers off a tee, where I was 200 out with no wind, and my 5 iron (190) flies over the green at 230.

• Haha 1

Artisan 0418 putter

10 minutes ago, ShAMbotay said:

the ego bit was a bit of a wise crack at me being around a skill level of someone who's ego might be such that they want to play "pretty blades", but shouldn't be. In fact, I want to play shovels, but they have inconsistencies that make them seem oddly unforgiving for being game improvement irons. I was just trying to be funny.

Got it. Wasn't sure. I almost always keep a set of reference irons around.

Wasn't planning on it this year but I found a set of Nike Vapor Fly that I hope will solve the riddle at the top of the bag, long irons or hybrid. They are wide soles but set up really nice behind the ball to my eye. Never know until you try, right?

J36 irons just sitting there smirking. 😂

Lots of solid suggestions above.  Another less visible aspect to the low ego issue is to order your new clubs with sensible gaps.  If you go with a modern set with a "fairly strong" 45 or 46 pitching wedge (like many of those above), consider downward loft progressions by 4 degrees per iron.  That way you'll have tighter gaps in your scoring clubs and your 5 and 6 irons will be a bit easier to hit.

4 hours ago, ShAMbotay said:

I've had several of these flyers off a tee, where I was 200 out with no wind, and my 5 iron (190) flies over the green at 230.

You’re hitting your 5i within 4 yds of the PGA Tour average distance, and something is happening with these GI irons to get the effect of 10mph more club head speed and 1000rpm less spin. Not sure how this is possible…

Every company has a set of what your asking for. Nothing wrong with a set of irons that are more confidence inspiring for a lower handicap. Anybody can play anything as long as your enjoying them. I would just try out each companys GI offerings and see what u like best. Callaway is always great but seem a touch more offsett lately. Ping im sure is great with the g425. Titliest t300. Wilsons... pxg has some as well. Taylormade which im not a fan of their look of their Gi irons  lately. Really just depend on your preferences.

I think the knowledgeable crowd here has given you the best available.  From what they have said, my top 3 would be:

1. Srixon ZX5

2. Apex DCB

3. Ping I210

As for ego...that part almost seemed a little passive aggressive to those who prefer to look down at a thinner line and don't like to swing a wide sole through the turf :-).  I get what you are saying, but for myself I can't imagine a 30 yard chip from very firm turf with a wide sole.  A lot of guys are picking thinner sole clubs for the same reason a lot of guys choose a wider sole.  They think it gives them their best shot at lower scores.

Driver- Titleist TsR2 with Graphite Design Tour AD

4w - Titleist Tsi2 with Tensei Raw Blue shaft

19 Hy - Titleist 818 H1 with Atmos Tour Spec

23 Hy - Titleist 818 with Graphite Design Tour AD-DI shaft

5i-PW - Bridgestone J15 CB with Recoil F4 110 shafts

50,54,and 58 Wilson Staff wedges with SF shafts

Ping Prime Tyne 4 PSD

10 minutes ago, rxk9fan said:

I think the knowledgeable crowd here has given you the best available.  From what they have said, my top 3 would be:

1. Srixon ZX5

2. Apex DCB

3. Ping I210

As for ego...that part almost seemed a little passive aggressive to those who prefer to look down at a thinner line and don't like to swing a wide sole through the turf :-).  I get what you are saying, but for myself I can't imagine a 30 yard chip from very firm turf with a wide sole.  A lot of guys are picking thinner sole clubs for the same reason a lot of guys choose a wider sole.  They think it gives them their best shot at lower scores.

Bingo. Then there’s some of us who want the forgiveness in full shots, but carry thin soled wedges for anything from 100yds in. The beauty of modern clubs is being able to blend them easily. I like the wider sole from the rough around the green. Often bump with a 7 or 8 iron. Don’t have to worry about the wedge sliding under the ball and hitting it high off the face. Thin lies I use PM Grind wedges. Love them

• Like 1

When peeps ask, I advise to buy the most forgiving irons you can still love to look down and see in your hands.

Not about ego - but looks and whether the irons work for you - do you have chemistry together. 

For me, it is MP-20 HMB

• Like 1

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x