Anyone else done with Hybrids?

BallerNate

I played a 3 hybrid for a while, but have since moved to a 3 iron. 3 iron feels more natural to me, rolls a bit more off the tee and seems to be a bit less left biased, all of which I appreciate. I may try the hybrid again though for fun, as I don't necessarily have anything against it and think it could be beneficial on a few longer par 3s. 

• Like 1

I am done with them. But only because I found a combo that is superb. I've tried at least 10 hybrids the last 2.5 years. And at least 5 hybrid shafts. I won a ventus hb 9x on here and that started to change the hybrid game for me. That shaft is just superb. It first went into a clk that went dead straight. But it carried too far. I tested and liked the ts2 so I bought one and put my ventus in it. That combo is just so straight and so good. 21 lofted down. Perfect flight. Perfecr carry number. Super easy to hit.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BallerNate said:

Yeah, that’s an option I’m definitely curious about. I’ve never hit a 5 wood, but have definitely had success with the 3 wood in the past.

With you being a sweeper as well, I think it's really gonna help you

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

I’ve had and liked a few hybrids.  I think my inconsistency recently came from lining them up and striking them more like a fairway.  When I choke up on them just slightly snd bring them in closer, then strike them like I would an iron, they work amazingly well.  I actually just picked up a tour issue GAPR HI, and it’s easily earned a slot in the bag to replace my 4 iron.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BallerNate said:

Yeah, I don’t blame anyone for using a Hybrid. I just look at you guys like mystical unicorns that I can’t relate to though! 🤣

Did you test your UDI vs a DHY? Do you have a UDI 2 or 3?

No I haven't tested the DHY.  I have a 3.  I started using hybrids ever since they were first introduced to the market way back when.  I know I'm a high ss player but I'm still really comfortable with a hybrid.  Probably why I still have one in the bag. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

1 hour ago, kiwihacker said:

I'm the exact opposite of you BallerNate. Absolutely love my hybrids but have somewhere along the way lost the ability to hit my 3/4 wood except off the tee. I do have a steep AOA and take a divot even with my hybrids so there may be something in that. 

To each their own for sure. Like I said before, you guys that can hit Hybrids well are the mystical/magical unicorns of golf to me. Steep swing must have something to do with it for sure.

• Haha 1

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Black Smoke 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Rogue St Max OS (21*) / Tensei AV Blue 75 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

1 hour ago, dvq9654 said:

I played a 3 hybrid for a while, but have since moved to a 3 iron. 3 iron feels more natural to me, rolls a bit more off the tee and seems to be a bit less left biased, all of which I appreciate. I may try the hybrid again though for fun, as I don't necessarily have anything against it and think it could be beneficial on a few longer par 3s. 

Yeah, the 3-iron and 3-wood have traditionally been two of my best clubs off the Tee. I decided to go without a 3-iron when I got new irons this year, but there’s something about a 22* 4-iron that just isn’t the same as the old 20* 3-irons. I used to smoke those things off the Tee for sure!

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

1 hour ago, Shushwap said:

Do yourself a favour and pick up a 5 wood.. I loved my 5 wood so much I picked up a 7 wood.. it's even better then the 5 wood 

1 hour ago, minhjn said:

With you being a sweeper as well, I think it's really gonna help you

I might just have to try a 5 wood. My cousin was actually using one today and working magic with it, and you guys echoing that success definitely helps.

Some of the characteristics of a 3 wood that I’ve had success with, along with a higher loft and shorter shaft are definitely intriguing for sure.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

3 hours ago, BallerNate said:

See and that’s fantastic that you found an awesome fit. But at the same time it kind of proves my point about how difficult they are…why would you have to try 6+ of any club before being able to find one that finally works?

I don’t disagree with you but I’d ask do you always find the “right” club straight away or do you have to try multiple clubs before getting the one that fits? I’ve read your WITB thread so I know you aren’t adverse to trying new clubs😂 besides the searches are fun. I’m also a sweeper so I don’t fall into the category that’s been mentioned here that sweeper is better for FW and steep is better for hybrids. So maybe I’m even more unicorn than previously thought...I’m hoping you find the club that’s perfect for you in that slot!

• Haha 1

Ping G425 12* set at the little - with a tour 2.0 65 stiff shaft

Callaway Steelhead III 18* 5W

Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 21* 7W

Ping G30 4-W, U, and S irons 

Ping Tour 60* wedge

Ping Karsten Craz-E putter

I've always used hybrids in my bag instead of fairway woods, as I've never been able to hit a fairway wood even half decently. the hybrids are still a super weak point in my bag, as they're unpredictable, to say the least.

This 7 wood hype intrigues me, but I have no idea what the equivalent clubs for woods are. It's been so long since I've used one. I'm about to start using some blades (for reasons out of my control) from 4-P, and I usually went 3h, 2h, driver on the top end. I could never trust the hybrids to go straight, or even go a specific distance, and I've never tried a high lofted wood. My dad used to swear by his 9 wood before all our clubs got stolen years ago.

I'm trying to figure out how to rework the bag all over again, and fairway woods I haven't considered before, but I am, now.

Callaway Customs Rogue ST Max LS @ 9.5 - LAGP Bryson Series 65-4

PING G430 LST 3W - LAGP Bryson Series 75-4

Callaway Apex UW 21° - LAGP Bryson Series 75-4
PING i210 4-U - Recoil Prototype Customs 95 F4
Artisan 54°, 58° - Recoil Prototype 95 F4
Artisan 0418 putter

Chrome Tour, Z-Grip+2, really weird full alligator Vokey stand bag that I've never seen pictures of on the internet

When I got back into golf recently I was excited to try out hybrids as I had quit playing golf more than 10 years ago and there wasn't much of a selection back then.

I tried about 4 different models and lofts and gave up on them mostly because I hooked them and my swing improved with my 4 iron, plus I think I finally found a fairway wood I can hit well. 

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

54 minutes ago, MikeW2 said:

I don’t disagree with you but I’d ask do you always find the “right” club straight away or do you have to try multiple clubs before getting the one that fits? I’ve read your WITB thread so I know you aren’t adverse to trying new clubs😂

Guilty!! 🤣🤣

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

30 minutes ago, don28 said:

I must be a different type of unicorn, because I have to hit hybrids like I hit a fairway wood or I will hook them off the planet. I use the advice given in this video at the 1:30 mark. YMMV

Interesting. He’s basically teaching sweeper techniques in using the Hybrid. The shallowing out of the swing is probably my biggest issue…at 6’7 I’m just naturally steep. Good stuff to think about, thanks.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

I find hybrid distance and trajectory a bit inconsistent. Sometimes it’s low and rolls but some times it’s launched 120 ft apex. 

I guess that’s a good thing for some people. That just  means it’s workable.

My 7 wood launch’s high and lands soft which I love. I’m not good enough to work the ball especially at that distance. 

Edited by llaw999
  • Like 1

I realise that with a decent swing any club should work pretty well but when Im watching pro golf Im always surprised / laughing watching Jordon or Reed or someone step up to the tee with a hybrid and then hook it into the left grandstand, and then look at the caddie with a bewildered look on their face : ) seems like players at all levels struggle with them.

I know the 7 wood threads have been done to death but Ive been hitting some ridiculous approach shots with mine since getting it a few weeks ago.  Not sure why but its almost an automatic high draw into the middle of the green and stopping.

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx VA Composites Drago 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5 deg fairway VA Composites Drago 75S

Titleist TSi2 21 deg fairway VA Composites Drago 75S

Titleist AP3 4-PW+48 Tour AMT white x100

Vokey SM9 54.10S (@53) 

Vokey SM9 58.08M

Taylormade Spider EX putter

ProV1X

Haven't had a hybrid in my bag since I first tried the Sonartecs back when I was like 13 years old. Good for some, but for me I don't see the point of the having the accuracy and sidespin of a wood and the distance of an iron. 

Maybe I will reconsider when and if I turn 60 🙃

Edited by rooski
  • Like 1

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

It is the 8 inches between the ears!

There is a ton of pressure to make a difficult shot to pick up a stroke but that may be the only option available to win.

Two easy shots with an iron may make more sense than one with a hybrid to get on the green.  Especially if your weakness is your short game. 

There is a lot less pressure to make a shot when you can't reach the bunkers.  Especially if your strength is your short game.

• Like 1

I'm torn about hybrids. Very versatile and great out of the rough and off the tee, but there's the looming possibility that it'll hook off the planet.

• Like 2

WITB (updated: 12/9/21)

Taylormade SIM Max 9.0 - Fujikura Ventus Black 6x

Titleist 917F3 15.0 - Fujikura Speeder Evolution 757x

Taylormade SIM 2 Max 3H - Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 85x

Taylormade P770 4-PW - True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Callaway MD5 Jaws Raw 50, 54 - KBS $-Taper 120s

Taylormade Hi-Toe 58 - KBS Hi-Rev 115s

Odyssey Stroke Lab Rossie 34"

Hybrids can seem like they want to be either a wood or an iron....  You might like the speed and height better from an equivalent wood.  You might like the look, feel, and comfort level better from an equivalent iron.  A hybrid is like a middle child that doesn't quite get the love of his/her siblings! 🤷‍♀️ 

I've only recently gotten along with a 4i replacement hybrid, setting the same shaft/length/weighting and swing as my 4 iron.  Btw I think chunky hollow utility-like 4 irons seem like they want to be hybrids 😁

I do love the look, feel, and familiarity of a long iron (3i) off the tee still.  And I prefer the easy speed and height of a 5W above that.

• Like 2

D1 Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 D2 TM R510TP, 757X 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, CX3. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

17 hours ago, BallerNate said:

Is anyone else just totally done with trying to use Hybrids? I tried to make it work with a Callaway Rogue Hybrid 4 (20*) last season and just couldn’t make it work. This season I’ve been trying a Srixon Z H85 Hybrid 3 (19*), and I’m fed up.

I’m Ok hitting them off the Tee, but they are way shorter for me than a 3-Wood, Driving Iron, or 4-iron, and anytime I hit them off the deck it’s always a power fade/slice.

I understand that lots of people love them and swear by them, but it’s an experiment that just isn’t working for me.

Maybe it’s because I’m a sweeper, or maybe it’s that I’m 6’7? Maybe it’s a shaft issue? I don’t know, but whatever it is I feel like giving up on Hybrids.

Sorry for venting…just exhausted with trying to make them work! 

Two things that come to mind immediately, if you wanted to try a hybrid again...

First, because the miss is a fade/slice, get an adjustable and loft it to its highest possible.  Would close the face.  Second, because you hit irons better, use the same/similar shaft as in your irons, set the hybrid to be in sequence with your irons, fitting with the overall club length, shaft weight, and swingweight (or MOI, if you lean towards that method).

All that said, maybe you're better off with a utility.  Sub70 699U or 699U Pro might be worth a look?  And the Srixon stuff has generated great buzz, across the last several models.

In personal experience vein.... was never a hybrid fan, used an iron all the way to 17* for many years.  When I was no longer hitting that well, switched to a 5w, which didn't mesh as well for trajectory reasons.  On a lark, tried the Stage 2 Tour hybrid, and assembled two iron shafts for it (its adjustable), one steel, one 105g graphite. 

The shaft weight made a difference for me; its a recurring theme in my golf clubs, LOL.

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

17 hours ago, BallerNate said:

Is anyone else just totally done with trying to use Hybrids?

I haven't had one in the bag for a few years now.

I hit them too high and spinny so I've moved to a utilit/driving iron.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

3 hours ago, ShortGolfer said:

It is the 8 inches between the ears!

There is a ton of pressure to make a difficult shot to pick up a stroke but that may be the only option available to win.

Two easy shots with an iron may make more sense than one with a hybrid to get on the green.  Especially if your weakness is your short game. 

There is a lot less pressure to make a shot when you can't reach the bunkers.  Especially if your strength is your short game.

For sure, Golf is probably 95% mental. For me though, my Hybrid distance most times is shorter than my 4 or 5 iron distance. If I end up hitting slices that go the same distance as my 6 or 7 iron, that’s more than just mental.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

2 hours ago, philleeeeep said:

I'm torn about hybrids. Very versatile and great out of the rough and off the tee, but there's the looming possibility that it'll hook off the planet.

That’s another issue for me. People say that Hybrids are good out of the rough, but for me with the thickness of the sole, I actually have much better results with an iron out of the rough.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX