Nothing feels like a Mizuno

rooski

After playing hand-me-downs and whatever scuffed used clubs I can find in X-Stiff for so many years (playing at about a 5 in the process), today marks the beginning of a new day. The new custom fitted butter baby Mizuno JPX 921 Tours are on the way. Is there a more sexy club on the market? Hard to say. 

I originally thought the Mizuno hype was all marketing, but after going into the fitting hoping I'd end up with ZX7s, the softness and buttery feel off the face coupled with the workability of the JPX Tours were unmatched.

Going 1/4" long and 1* upright at 6'4" (193 cm), with Project X Low Spin 6.5, loved being able to feel that shaft loading in my hands like I did, very exciting as a feel player. 

Can't wait to see the difference a proper fitting and new clubs will make coming from my Taylormade M1s that have 3mm of cave-in on the faces and are too flat for me.

Anyways I know this isn't a very useful post but I'm too excited not to type about it for a second and imagine there's at least one other person in the world that wants to talk about JPX Tours 😂

In before that one guy comes in here and says "Wow thanks for sharing"

image.png.c33a70b67b7e15b15aefb004e9a45119.png

Edited by rooski
  • Like 4

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

Welcome to Mizuno ownership,doesnt suit everyone...but Discerning Mizuno Owners are ok with that😎

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

7 minutes ago, RogerinNewZealand said:

Welcome to Mizuno ownership,doesnt suit everyone...but Discerning Mizuno Owners are ok with that😎

I almost wanted to avoid Mizunos if possible because I know people that own Mizuno irons are aggressive about how much better they feel than anything else. Fortunately I have figured out that they are correct.

I really wanted to like something else, but I went into the fitting with my top priority being feel, as the feel off the clubface is more important to me than any other factor by a small margin. 

Hit a bunch of irons with a couple different shafts and liked them all, but after he handed me the 921 Tours, I hit 2 shots and immediately said "yep thats the one". It was that distinct, whatever forging process they have is truly great (also the numbers so happened to be the best and most consistent with the Mizunos)

Edited by rooski
  • Like 1

Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

No where as deluded as the Srixonites😄

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

You know what?? Each company makes a line of irons every so often that are amazing in feel and performance... but mizuno just seems to do it really well year in year out. Even irons that dont feel as great as their best.. stilll feel great. I have a set of xforged 4to7 then 2018mb 8topw.. they feel really great on pure strikes and harsh but fair on off strikes... i tryed the 19 apex pro just now and... i was shocked how bad they felt to me. Everyshot felt like a rock. Idk why. Then i have mizuno mp5... wow is all i can say. Might be the softest blade ever made imo. Even the misshits feel outstanding.. no sting but you know you struck it wrong. I have mizuno mmc... again not as soft as mp5 but man they feel better then soo many other irons out there. Everyone should expiernce a mizuno iron at some time in there life.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

i tryed the 19 apex pro just now and... i was shocked how bad they felt to me. Everyshot felt like a rock. Idk why. Then i have mizuno mp5... wow is all i can say. Might be the softest blade ever made imo. Even the misshits feel outstanding.. no sting but you know you struck it wrong.

Couldn't agree more. Not sure what magic formula Mizuno has figured out but they have it. When I was hitting the ZX7s, I was so disappointed at how even the best shots felt just rock-y. They were super solid but just disappointing, especially as GolfWRX's voted irons of the year. I've had many clubs that felt like that -- the shi**y Taylormade M1s I've been playing, the TItleist 690 musclebacks I played for a while, all just sort of rock-y (the MBs were great on exactly the sweet spot, but i guess thats the point of the true no forgiveness blades)

Funny enough the only club that ever matched the butter I've felt off the Mizunos was a really odd cavity back iron from back in the day, the Cleveland CG Golds I played back when i was 14 or 15 (picture for reference)

Either way, what a treat to have player's iron that feels this soft, I can't wait 

Cleveland CG Gold Iron Set

Edited by rooski
  • Like 2

Tiger's comment is dead on.  Any well-fitted upper-end club is going to feel really good when struck well by a good striker.  Heck, even a crappy club is going to feel good-ish when struck well by a good striker.

31 minutes ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

It's all person preference. If you're a talented ball striker and hit middle, everything feels good out the screws. At least now you can ravenously consume every video on Youtube with mizuno in the title, SMASH that like button and comment below nOtHinG feEls LiKE a MIzuNO.

Well said on the second sentence.  The original post basically sounded like an advertisement, complete with advertising slogan and use of the abhorrent phrase "Buttery Smooth". 

Don't forget the blue bag and car window decal that you can put next to the apple one as shown below.

image.png.4a4cfa1d2f0ff9e2101149d334d43b3d.png

• Like 1

So said Mrs. Mizuno.

Seriously, I played Mizuno blades (SPL's) for a decade back when and they didn't disappoint.

Enjoy your new sticks!

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

Nothing feels like a Miura.  That is all. 

• Haha 2

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

14 hours ago, RogerinNewZealand said:

Absolutely ...

Haters gonna hate

Have always loved them

Usually go 10 years (ish) b4 the itch has to be scratched ... hope I can last that long again

Wanted Tours but my 1st fitting ever went into 919F

They've been great

Enjoy ...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

You know what?? Each company makes a line of irons every so often that are amazing in feel and performance... but mizuno just seems to do it really well year in year out. Even irons that dont feel as great as their best.. stilll feel great. I have a set of xforged 4to7 then 2018mb 8topw.. they feel really great on pure strikes and harsh but fair on off strikes... i tryed the 19 apex pro just now and... i was shocked how bad they felt to me. Everyshot felt like a rock. Idk why. Then i have mizuno mp5... wow is all i can say. Might be the softest blade ever made imo. Even the misshits feel outstanding.. no sting but you know you struck it wrong. I have mizuno mmc... again not as soft as mp5 but man they feel better then soo many other irons out there. Everyone should expiernce a mizuno iron at some time in there life.

Mp5 is a great wrench!

• Thanks 1

I've turned into a Mizuno Ho. Bought the Mizuno MX300 10 years and I thought I died and went to heaven. When the MP20's came out in late '19, I pulled the trigger and had the MMC's built and have nothing but great things to report on these beauties. Great feel, forgiving, and look great. 

But this is where I caution you and others (currently) purchasing Mizuno clubs. I took my Ho-dom to a new level and purchased the 921 Tours (head is damn near the same size as MMC and wanted to experience the "feel" - which is important to me). IMO, Mizuno is not dignifying itself, build-wise, as they couldn't get a simple design right in three attempts. I was really disappointed and just cancelled the order. PBA - double check, upon receipt of your clubs, that your specs are as you desired.

Driver: Ping G430 Max (10.5) - Ventus (Velocore) Blue 5S
3 Wood: Ping G425 Max (14.5 Degree) - Ventus (Velocore) Red 5S
5 Wood: Ping G425 Max (17.5 Degree) - CB Alta 65S
9 Wood: Ping G430 Max (23 Degree) - CB Alta Black 65S 

5 Hybrid: Ping G425 (26 Degree) - CB Alta 70S

Titleist T150 8-PW KBS $ Taper (115)  

Titleist T200 6/7 KBS $ Taper (115)

Vokey (49/53) Degree) SM8 F Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Vokey (58 Degree) SM7 S Grind - KBS Tour (120)
Putter: Scotty  - Special Select Newport 2.5

41 minutes ago, Tdsjfb said:

I've turned into a Mizuno Ho. Bought the Mizuno MX300 10 years and I thought I died and went to heaven. When the MP20's came out in late '19, I pulled the trigger and had the MMC's built and have nothing but great things to report on these beauties. Great feel, forgiving, and look great. 

But this is where I caution you and others (currently) purchasing Mizuno clubs. I took my Ho-dom to a new level and purchased the 921 Tours (head is damn near the same size as MMC and wanted to experience the "feel" - which is important to me). IMO, Mizuno is not dignifying itself, build-wise, as they couldn't get a simple design right in three attempts. I was really disappointed and just cancelled the order. PBA - double check, upon receipt of your clubs, that your specs are as you desired.

Yeah the mmc and the 921 tours are basically the same iron just different looking.

Mans really said some clunky Cleveland cavities felt like a mizuno iron lol got me questioning what your metrics are with these measurements. Lmao 🤣

ive played the 62s and kinda want to buy another set now that I’m in a better understanding of my game. (Played them through HS with a raw talent kinda swing) but like others have said if you’re catching them center and hitting with speed. Most quality clubs feel similar and likewise depending on preferences.

Good stuff on getting your new set in. Get them fairways and greens 

Edited by SylvesterLundgren

Ping G400/ Ping tour 65 s

Ping 410 3w / Ping tour 65 s 

Nike VRS covert 5w/ kurokage black s

Titleist 718 T-mb 4 iron / amt white s300

Titleist 716 AP2 5-pw/ amt white s300

Cleveland Rtx4  48(bent to 50)mid, 54 mid, 58 mid / dynamic gold s400

Nike midnight method 006/ Black SS Gt 1.0 w 25g counter core.

18 hours ago, rooski said:

After playing hand-me-downs and whatever scuffed used clubs I can find in X-Stiff for so many years (playing at about a 5 in the process), today marks the beginning of a new day. The new custom fitted butter baby Mizuno JPX 921 Tours are on the way. Is there a more sexy club on the market? Hard to say. 

I originally thought the Mizuno hype was all marketing, but after going into the fitting hoping I'd end up with ZX7s, the softness and buttery feel off the face coupled with the workability of the JPX Tours were unmatched.

Going 1/4" long and 1* upright at 6'4" (193 cm), with Project X Low Spin 6.5, loved being able to feel that shaft loading in my hands like I did, very exciting as a feel player. 

Can't wait to see the difference a proper fitting and new clubs will make coming from my Taylormade M1s that have 3mm of cave-in on the faces and are too flat for me.

Anyways I know this isn't a very useful post but I'm too excited not to type about it for a second and imagine there's at least one other person in the world that wants to talk about JPX Tours 😂

In before that one guy comes in here and says "Wow thanks for sharing"

image.png.c33a70b67b7e15b15aefb004e9a45119.png

Congrats on the new irons. I'll bet they make a big difference for you. I've been hooked on Mizzys since the MP-60s and still play a set of MP-60/32s most rounds. Mizuno really is amazing in the way they consistently turn out the best irons year after year. And the JPX Tours are special. Welcome to the club.

Mizuno went the wrong direction when they started adding Boron to their metal and lost their sense of what made them great IMO.  I bought a set of 921 forged in May.  Played them for a few rounds and sold them. Bought a set of Zx5/7’s and I wouldn’t trade them for an entire bag of Mizunos.

to each their own.

There is no better feeling than finding an iron that feels super pure to hit, it is one of the best feelings out there, so enjoy the heck outta them...

That said, I have never understood what all the fuss is about with Mizuno.  They are good, but not miles better than a lot of other offerings out there.  But if you like em, that's all that matters!

Titleist TSr2 10*  GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

I do like the look of the Tour.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

3 hours ago, SylvesterLundgren said:

Mans really said some clunky Cleveland cavities felt like a mizuno iron lol got me questioning what your metrics are with these measurements. Lmao 🤣

Pure feel is the measurement my guy. That's what I play by and those Clevelands just had it, couldnt tell ya why. I dont think Cleveland has made a good iron since then to be completely fair though

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nixhex524 said:

That said, I have never understood what all the fuss is about with Mizuno.  They are good, but not miles better than a lot of other offerings out there. 

I think you're correct on that, but I think there's a very specific player that just something about Mizuno forging attracts. I cannot explain in stats why it was so clear, but as I mentioned, I wanted to leave with the ZX7s or even a Titleist players iron, but the feel in my hands about 0.2 seconds after impact with the Mizunos was unmatched in any club I've ever hit. It certainly could have been the sound that I was experiencing as well, I just let my subconscious tell me what is right in the golf swing