2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Bryson says Cobra Drivers suck, Cobra compares Bryson to Temper Tantrum throwing 8 year old

nosedive32

15 hours ago, tw_focus said:

How do you know the driver doesn't suck? ALTHOUGH IT HAS NEVER HAPPENED IN THE HISTORY OF GOLF, surely it's possible that a Golf OEM would create and sell a driver that is something less than a work of perfection, absolutely flawless and pristine? And even if every driver ever made by Nike, Callaway, TM, Titleist, Cobra, Honma, Mizuno, were all PERFECT, surely there might be ONE or TWO that are slightly less perfect than the rest? Could you accept that "suck" is a relative term? Like I carry the Sumo Sasquatch 330 yards but over drew it by 0.5 yards, but the Taylormade R187 carried it 335 yards! Baby steps.

Remember these are not retail heads and instead frankenstein clubs that Bryson helps develop.  And at 4* of loft i'm sure it does suck.  Bryson has a hand in creating these drivers and choosing the loft so again he has no one to blame but himself.

• Like 4

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

2 hours ago, ASN21 said:

Bryson and Reed are gonna have to play together all Ryder Cup long. 

If they could only get Mike Taylor to have a chat with them both ahead of time, could be interesting, both won majors shortly after spending time with MT 👍🏻😃

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

30 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

That link is false.

He dropped out and is about as much of a scientist as my dog is.

He has a degree in physics from smu....I can give you a link from smu's own website if you want it...now you can argue that a BS in physics isn't the same as being a scientist, but not getting a advance degree  is not the same as  insinuating he dropped out.

He dropped out. I'm not insinuating. Are you a native English speaker? He does not have a degree. Show us the SMU link (this should be fun...)

I don't care if he dropped out, I care about the truth. Tiger dropped out too. So what? But the truth is the truth.

Edited by Soloman1
  • Like 1

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

2 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

He dropped out. I'm not insinuating. Are you a native English speaker? Show us the SMU link (this should be fun...)

Smu blog post....

Originally Posted: February 17, 2017

Bryson DeChambeau is clearly the PGA Tour’s geekiest golfer.

The 23-year-old California native who earned a physics degree from Southern Methodist University has brought his data-driven, science-influenced, and exceptionally eccentric philosophy to the world’s top professional golf circuit in a big way.

GeekWire had a chance to catch up with DeChambeau last month at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, where the PGA Tour pro was helping promote a new smartphone app from Bridgestone that helps golfers find the best golf ball for their game. READ MORE

That's a blog and the writer is wrong.

UPI said this and so did all the legitimate news writers Here: https://www.upi.com/Sports_News/Golf/2016/04/11/Bryson-DeChambeau-ready-to-tee-off-pro-career/9761460379926/

First line: "Bryson DeChambeau isn't your typical college dropout."

Just say you were mistaken and let it go.

Edited by Soloman1
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm 15 pages late to this thread and it probably has already been said, but this is par for the course with what I think of Bryson... he's immature.  Just about everything about his online/social media presence to his interviews points to immaturity.  Some people mature later in life, others MUCH later in life, but many of the things he does and says reminds me of what I would think a high school kid in his position would do or say. 

We love to talk about it in the context of other pro sports, but let's remember that sometimes when a young person with talent is able to make a ton of money, it sort of stunts their growth.  Part of maturity comes from being the low man on the totem pole in life and listening to and modeling yourself after your elders.  But when you are a millionaire at a young age, all of a sudden everybody listens to you.  You become the "leader" in your own circle.  Some guys like Morikawa and yes, Rickie Fowler seem to get it at a very young age, but others just don't.  It took Gretsky to kinda straighten DJ out a little bit as he was on a bad path.

Anyway, sorry for the long post.  I have the knee-jerk reaction not to like Bryson much for the reasons that many of you have stated, but then I have to remember he's kinda like a big kid who I honestly think just hasn't learned any better.  Not an excuse for him, just my explanation.  

• Like 2

Cobra King Speedzone 9* | Fujikura Atmos black shaft
Cobra King Speedzone Big Tour 3W 
Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
JPX 850 4i | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
Mizuno Pro 223 5i-PW | N.S. Pro 950GH S-flex
JPX 850 Forged GW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
MP-T5 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5 Custom

Wow this could go on forever and who knows if Cobra takes any serious action is now up to them. I know Bryson will hear about this from the fans and media every time he tee's up his driver and misses the fairway. Glad he did make the cut but no longer a fan of his as he deserves all the bashing but let's talk about what will PING do about Tyrrell Hatton  for destroying his iron when he missed the green and the cut by 1 shot. I don't know how to post this video but it was on the golf channel today as Wow. I know he is a European player but let's see how the tabloids respond to one of their own players or let's just pick on the Americans because we are over on there turf. Also how does PING feel about his childish action. Im not sticking up for Bryson but it doesn't compare to what Hatten did and it was caught on camera. 

I don't understand all the frustration Tour players go thru but destroying a club like what Hatten did would have me cutting his pay completely off from any endorsements as that was so disrespectful. PING does not need Hatton as maybe Cobra its a different story as Bryson did apologize but Im sure Cobra could use the money they give BD for some younger talent coming up.. Im sure Jason Day is still searching for his game or maybe he signed already with Mizuno. Regardless what does the media/PING fans think of Tyrrell's action?

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

15 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

So, here is what I have been struggling with:  the idea that the Cobra rep could get fired for putting out that statement.  That sounds more like some suits protecting their turf than some actual transgression.  He defended his company, and more importantly, the people working for this guy.  Had he agreed with DeChambeau, absolutely, can him.  But this was calling him out for his BS, which frankly needed to be done.

I agree with John Maginnes.  He said if Cobra canned him he would have another job within the hour.  I get that you don't want people commenting on every single thing, but this frankly has a much better impact than the usual PR crap.  

You think it’s good PR? Bryson is still their frontman. I get that he echoed what a lot of people feel and know about Bryson but in the end it only made things worse for Cobra. Comments like that are great for likes and clicks, not so great for business and life in the real world.

This guys comments cast a much larger shadow on their relationship with Bryson and their failures with making drivers, as Bryson sees it. 

It wouldn’t be near the level of story had he kept his mouth shut. Bryson had similar comments about bridgestones ball after the masters last year and it died down pretty much immediately. 
Now Cobra and their equipment will continue to get talked about for the wrong reasons. People are not buying cobra drivers bc they dislike Bryson or they love drama surrounding the company so I don’t really understand how you spin this into a positive for cobra

SIM 8* Ventus Black 7x
Ping G25 3 wood Diamana D+ X

NLU 18* DI Ventus Black 10X
Muira 1957 4-PW X100 120
Vokey SM8 M 50*/Vokey SM4 S 56*/Vokey SM8 T 60*
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 35” 
Tour BX S

9 minutes ago, Tiptx1122 said:

Wow this could go on forever and who knows if Cobra takes any serious action is now up to them. I know Bryson will hear about this from the fans and media every time he tee's up his driver and misses the fairway. Glad he did make the cut but no longer a fan of his as he deserves all the bashing but let's talk about what will PING do about Tyrrell Hatton  for destroying his iron when he missed the green and the cut by 1 shot. I don't know how to post this video but it was on the golf channel today as Wow. I know he is a European player but let's see how the tabloids respond to one of their own players or let's just pick on the Americans because we are over on there turf. Also how does PING feel about his childish action. Im not sticking up for Bryson but it doesn't compare to what Hatten did and it was caught on camera. 

I don't understand all the frustration Tour players go thru but destroying a club like what Hatten did would have me cutting his pay completely off from any endorsements as that was so disrespectful. PING does not need Hatton as maybe Cobra its a different story as Bryson did apologize but Im sure Cobra could use the money they give BD for some younger talent coming up.. Im sure Jason Day is still searching for his game or maybe he signed already with Mizuno. Regardless what does the media/PING fans think of Tyrrell's action?

Flipping the bird was probably the worst of it, but I don't condone the breaking of the club. There have been others breaking clubs. Busted rackets, bats, ski's, etc. . It happens to equipment. But flipping off a spectator? I think that will be the ultimate reason for the fine. Ping probably won't do much, neither will Cobra. 

• Like 1

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

7 minutes ago, kasting333 said:

You think it’s good PR? Bryson is still their frontman. I get that he echoed what a lot of people feel and know about Bryson but in the end it only made things worse for Cobra. Comments like that are great for likes and clicks, not so great for business and life in the real world.

This guys comments cast a much larger shadow on their relationship with Bryson and their failures with making drivers, as Bryson sees it. 

It wouldn’t be near the level of story had he kept his mouth shut. Bryson had similar comments about bridgestones ball after the masters last year and it died down pretty much immediately. 
Now Cobra and their equipment will continue to get talked about for the wrong reasons. People are not buying cobra drivers bc they dislike Bryson or they love drama surrounding the company so I don’t really understand how you spin this into a positive for cobra

BdC is their frontman, and just threw them under the bus.  He cast the shadow on their relationship.  I think most people at this point actually would have thought less of Cobra had someone not responded.  A vanilla "we know he was emotional and we have taken steps yada yada yada" would be nothing more than bird cage liner if it was printed on paper.  

I think the discussion won't be as bad as you think.  Because I think the discussion will be about whether the clubs aren't good, or whether BDC is just a petulant kid.  Whereas before, I would have said their thoughts would haven't existed about Cobra.

BUt considering how many idiots I dealt with in the corporate world who were in decision making positions, maybe you are right.  But it just seems a lot more like people protecting turf.   

• Like 1

Because an athlete at a D1 college has never gotten a degree early or gone back part time or taken online courses to finish a degree 

I mean I hate the guy as much as anybody and know he's full of crap on so many levels but I'm not buying he's faking a physics degree from SMU.

We aren't talking the most prestigious of universities here. We also aren't talking the most ethical of universities when it comes to ethics in athletics though so honestly they may have just fudged a degree so he didn't have to finish (not that the guy couldn't)

G430 LST 9 Matrix 50M4 R Black Tie

BRNR Mini 11.5 Midr Proto 65R

Apex UW 2021 17 Smoke Black RDX 70 5.5

TSR2 21 & 24 AV Raw Blue 75R

T350 6-48 AMT Red R300

RTX Full Face Black 54 60 KBS Hi Rev 2 115

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 CH 34in SS Pistol 1.0

Srixon Q Star Tour 

1 minute ago, nosedive32 said:

Because an athlete at a D1 college has never gotten a degree early or gone back part time or taken online courses to finish a degree 

I mean I hate the guy as much as anybody and know he's full of crap on so many levels but I'm not buying he's faking a physics degree from SMU.

We aren't talking the most prestigious of universities here. We also aren't talking the most ethical of universities when it comes to ethics in athletics though so honestly they may have just fudged a degree so he didn't have to finish (not that the guy couldn't)

Ethical?  Given the recent rulings, I would call them ahead of their time.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

That's a blog and the writer is wrong.

UPI said this and so did all the legitimate news writers Here: https://www.upi.com/Sports_News/Golf/2016/04/11/Bryson-DeChambeau-ready-to-tee-off-pro-career/9761460379926/

First line: "Bryson DeChambeau isn't your typical college dropout."

Just say you were mistaken and let it go.

So your 2016 upi story trumps my 2017 smu blog? Okay...

• Sad 1

My daughter finished her 3rd year in pursuit of dual degree in Physics and Comp Sci. She has had some really tough classes on a wide range of topics. So degree or no degree, Bryson was probably exposed to a much deeper knowledge of Physics than most here, unless we are all Physics Degree holders. I think Bryson does what he does and acts the way he acts because of immaturity and social awkwardness.. He'll grow and mature like we all did, it's just may not be as fast as his "work" wants it to be.  

• Like 1

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

31 minutes ago, nosedive32 said:

Let's just stick with the simple truth that he dropped out.

As I said before, I don't judge him on that. But the truth is the damn truth.

Edited by Soloman1
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

Let's just stick with the simple truth that he dropped out.

As I said before, I don't judge him on that. But the truth is the damn truth.

Most people presented with the opportunity to make a boatload of money tend to drop out.

How many elite players go through 4 years of college? 

Tiger Woods - college dropout

Jordan Spieth - college dropout

Justin Thomas - college dropout

Rory McIlroy - dropped out before he even started

Jon Rahm - played 4 years - was universally acknowledged as an absolute stud, but had nowhere near the achievements that Bryson had as an amateur.

I literally can name 1 guy who was more successful than Bryson in amateur / college golf, stayed 4 years, and went on to have a great professional career in recent memory. I'll give you a hint - he's really bleeping good. Just ask him. He'll remind you he won the PGA.

• Like 1

T350 6-48 AMT Red R300

Srixon Q Star Tour 

8 minutes ago, nosedive32 said:

Most people presented with the opportunity to make a boatload of money tend to drop out.

Jon Rahm - played 4 years - was universally acknowledged as an absolute stud, but had nowhere near the achievements that Bryson had as an amateur.

I literally can name 1 guy who was more successful than Bryson in amateur / college golf, stayed 4 years, and went on to have a great professional career in recent memory. I'll give you a hint - he's really bleeping good. Just ask him. He'll remind you he won the PGA.

FIGJAM! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, nosedive32 said:

True. I don’t think anyone is calling Bryson out for “maybe???” dropping out. Simply just trying to figure out if he did indeed drop out, or if he received his degree. The majority of successful professional athletes didn’t graduate from college. I will add that the guys I have a ton of respect for are the ones that left early to play professional sports, became successful and wealthy, and then went back to finish their degree. 👏🏼 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TiScape said:

True. I don’t think anyone is calling Bryson out for “maybe???” dropping out. Simply just trying to figure out if he did indeed drop out, or if he received his degree. The majority of successful professional athletes didn’t graduate from college. I will add that the guys I have a ton of respect for are the ones that left early to play professional sports, became successful and wealthy, and then went back to finish their degree. 👏🏼 

A lot more guys then you realize end up doing it.

• Like 1

T350 6-48 AMT Red R300

Srixon Q Star Tour 

26 minutes ago, Shakespeare said:

He dropped out...and got his degree....apology accepted

Nonsense. Just say you were mistaken and own up to it. It's easy to make mistakes when so much of the Internet is filled with mistakes.

People make mistakes all the time. I have, and I've admitted when I made a mistake or hadn't read something fully.

The truth is the damn truth. Bryson does not have a degree.

Here, I'll say it again: I don't care that the dropped out. I care that you yahoos are saying he has a degree in physics.

What's wrong with you people? Have you been drinking?

Edited by Soloman1
  • Like 4