Bryson says Cobra Drivers suck, Cobra compares Bryson to Temper Tantrum throwing 8 year old

nosedive32

On 7/16/2021 at 5:29 PM, vbb said:

I'm 15 pages late to this thread and it probably has already been said, but this is par for the course with what I think of Bryson... he's immature.  Just about everything about his online/social media presence to his interviews points to immaturity.  Some people mature later in life, others MUCH later in life, but many of the things he does and says reminds me of what I would think a high school kid in his position would do or say. 

We love to talk about it in the context of other pro sports, but let's remember that sometimes when a young person with talent is able to make a ton of money, it sort of stunts their growth.  Part of maturity comes from being the low man on the totem pole in life and listening to and modeling yourself after your elders.  But when you are a millionaire at a young age, all of a sudden everybody listens to you.  You become the "leader" in your own circle.  Some guys like Morikawa and yes, Rickie Fowler seem to get it at a very young age, but others just don't.  It took Gretsky to kinda straighten DJ out a little bit as he was on a bad path.

Anyway, sorry for the long post.  I have the knee-jerk reaction not to like Bryson much for the reasons that many of you have stated, but then I have to remember he's kinda like a big kid who I honestly think just hasn't learned any better.  Not an excuse for him, just my explanation.  

He is immature, and he will never change, just as John Daly never grew up.  It happens.  I say he is a detriment to golf, and if gets any of those PIP points, or whatever, that system is screwed up.

But after his 65 today in the last round, we can all conclude that his driver sucks.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

On 7/16/2021 at 5:31 PM, Tiptx1122 said:

Wow this could go on forever and who knows if Cobra takes any serious action is now up to them. I know Bryson will hear about this from the fans and media every time he tee's up his driver and misses the fairway. Glad he did make the cut but no longer a fan of his as he deserves all the bashing but let's talk about what will PING do about Tyrrell Hatton  for destroying his iron when he missed the green and the cut by 1 shot. I don't know how to post this video but it was on the golf channel today as Wow. I know he is a European player but let's see how the tabloids respond to one of their own players or let's just pick on the Americans because we are over on there turf. Also how does PING feel about his childish action. Im not sticking up for Bryson but it doesn't compare to what Hatten did and it was caught on camera. 

I don't understand all the frustration Tour players go thru but destroying a club like what Hatten did would have me cutting his pay completely off from any endorsements as that was so disrespectful. PING does not need Hatton as maybe Cobra its a different story as Bryson did apologize but Im sure Cobra could use the money they give BD for some younger talent coming up.. Im sure Jason Day is still searching for his game or maybe he signed already with Mizuno. Regardless what does the media/PING fans think of Tyrrell's action?

You've never thrown a club?

Well, I did a few times.  That same passion that drove me to practice a lot, play a lot, and have high expectations for my results, got out of hand a few times.  I am much older, and am rarely playing this year, and at this point couldn't get too excited over a bad shot.  But back a long time ago....

I understand Hatton's frustration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

5 hours ago, CaseyC said:

Imagine what would happen to Bryson if a reporter did a little digging and discovered Bryson was lying about having received a degree....

Nothing would happen because everyone in the golf media has lapped up his scientist schtik so deep they wouldn’t admit they were wrong and no 9ne in the non golf media cares

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

8 hours ago, Shakespeare said:

Dude..let it go . Go to SMU alumi site... BS in physics 2016....numerous articles referencing his degree from SMU...his website...PGAtour.com bio section......Jodi Cooley.. professor at SMU in physics has multiple article on him getting his degree and how he applys it to golf and sports in general. You don't have to call him a scientist brother and you don't have to like him..we get it. Here's a alumi list for golfers at SMU

If you don't believe it ...so be it.

I guess that SMU could confer a degree to Bryson even though he didn't have the credits to actually earn one.  I mean, that would be good PR for SMU.

4 hours ago, 3whacker said:

IMO remembering golf club manufacturing physics, the more loft, the more the club face will be closed and have a tendency to produce a draw>hook...he has to go with the straightest to most open face to eliminate the miss left... the pros today are all about launch angle..if BDC hit a driver with 8 degrees of loft IMO he would be missing a lot to the left...asking him to throttle back his swing speed is diametrically opposite of what he is trying to do. he wants to be able to swing as hard as he wants and eliminate one side of the golf course and hope that the line he chose will give him the shortest approach into the green

What, you think that Cobra or any other OEM can't design a driver with 8* or 9* loft, and an open face?

I give you: Vijay Singh.

16 minutes ago, gvogel said:

I guess that SMU could confer a degree to Bryson even though he didn't have the credits to actually earn one.  I mean, that would be good PR for SMU.

This is what I will say...there is no reason for him to lie about his degree on his website...no reason for writers to interview SMU professors and other staff in articals and either not ask them or have them tell the reporters he doesn't have his degree. No reason wiki would post a BS degree in 2016 along with other SMU alumi golfers and no one call them out on it. No reason why any writer from the Washington post, golf week, or popular mechanics not one time question if he had his degree, or worse lie about it and write the article anyway. It's too easy to call him out on it... especially now. He has made over 20 million..he can say degrees are over rated if he wants and no one would care..but he lists his degree on his website right by his foundation endeavors...why would you do that if it is not true? 

12 minutes ago, Shakespeare said:

This is what I will say...there is no reason for him to lie about his degree on his website...no reason for writers to interview SMU professors and other staff in articals and either not ask them or have them tell the reporters he doesn't have his degree. No reason wiki would post a BS degree in 2016 along with other SMU alumi golfers and no one call them out on it. No reason why any writer from the Washington post, golf week, or popular mechanics not one time question if he had his degree, or worse lie about it and write the article anyway. It's too easy to call him out on it... especially now. He has made over 20 million..he can say degrees are over rated if he wants and no one would care..but he lists his degree on his website right by his foundation endeavors...why would you do that if it is not true? 

I wanna see the transcripts!

Like, sure maybe he have degree.

But what he got all D-

🤣

kidding kidding.

20 minutes ago, Shakespeare said:

I agree.  Lying about having a degree would definitely "hurt his brand".   Sponsor's would drop him and his honesty would always be questioned.  

2 minutes ago, GolfTurkey said:

Doping while winning the Tour de France 7 times would hurt your brand too, if discovered, and it happened. Lying about finishing a degree would be a whole lot less egregious than that; I don't know, are you guys saying that pro golfers would never do such things?

There's no competitive advantage lying about a degree in golf...doesn't make you swing faster or score lower...lying about doping so your 7 titles stand is worth it I guess

14 minutes ago, Shakespeare said:

There's no competitive advantage lying about a degree in golf...doesn't make you swing faster or score lower...lying about doping so your 7 titles stand is worth it I guess

There absolutely is a marketing advantage for the guy claiming to be the scientist to actually have a science degree as opposed to a high school diploma.

I can imagine this scenario. A reporter gets sloppy and says Bryson finished his degree. Bryson thinks "mmmhh, that sounds nice" and keeps quiet. The next reporter is lazy and simply parrots the previous guy's stuff and pretty soon it's "common knowledge" that Bryson has a degree. If caught out Bryson can say that he never claimed that.

Reminds me of a story surrounding one of my high school physics teachers. He had a bit of a psycho look and everybody behaved like an angel in his class. Story was that he was a black belt in karate and some years back someone was out of line in his class and he walked up to him and kicked him in the head.

He retired when I was in my final year of high school. On his last day, I asked him if he knew about that story and whether it was true. He just smiled and said he knew about it but kept quiet because it led to the extreme discipline in his class. Sounds kind of ridiculous that everyone believed that story, but he looked a lot like:

article-2403742-1B7EC094000005DC-954_308

Edited by GolfTurkey
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, gvogel said:

What, you think that Cobra or any other OEM can't design a driver with 8* or 9* loft, and an open face?

I give you: Vijay Singh.

my old Titleist 983 and my Cleveland 460 are both old school 8.5 dg drivers , so the face is about 1.5dg open...just a guess but BDC probably wants a driver with at least a 2-2.5 dg open face, in essence he wants to eliminate or at least negate the usual bulge and roll along with the gear effect when the club releases naturally and the kick of the shaft does its thing...

I am sure that Cobra can engineer whatever BDC wants but what works on paper and in theory may not necessarily work in the real world. The other half of the equation is getting him a shaft that will not torque and snap the club face closed at that high of a swing speed

52 minutes ago, 3whacker said:

my old Titleist 983 and my Cleveland 460 are both old school 8.5 dg drivers , so the face is about 1.5dg open...just a guess but BDC probably wants a driver with at least a 2-2.5 dg open face, in essence he wants to eliminate or at least negate the usual bulge and roll along with the gear effect when the club releases naturally and the kick of the shaft does its thing...

I am sure that Cobra can engineer whatever BDC wants but what works on paper and in theory may not necessarily work in the real world. The other half of the equation is getting him a shaft that will not torque and snap the club face closed at that high of a swing speed

Or maybe golf should go back to players swinging within limits of the equipment. Kinda like they had to in the days of the ballata ball. 

I'm tired of hearing about this guy and his crying about cobra. My patience with this putz is gone. 

Edited by BlackDiamondPar5
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, GolfTurkey said:

There absolutely is a marketing advantage for the guy claiming to be the scientist to actually have a science degree as opposed to a high school diploma.

I can imagine this scenario. A reporter gets sloppy and says Bryson finished his degree. Bryson thinks "mmmhh, that sounds nice" and keeps quiet. The next reporter is lazy and simply parrots the previous guy's stuff and pretty soon it's "common knowledge" that Bryson has a degree. If caught out Bryson can say that he never claimed that.

Reminds me of a story surrounding one of my high school physics teachers. He had a bit of a psycho look and everybody behaved like an angel in his class. Story was that he was a black belt in karate and some years back someone was out of line in his class and he walked up to him and kicked him in the head.

He retired when I was in my final year of high school. On his last day, I asked him if he knew about that story and whether it was true. He just smiled and said he knew about it but kept quiet because it led to the extreme discipline in his class. Sounds kind of ridiculous that everyone believed that story, but he looked a lot like:

So...every reporter had to be lazy...every SMU professor or employee had to keep quiet...his friends and family  and support staff are all keeping it under wraps..he put it on his website right up front in his bio...and no one that I know of has called him out? Not one former student, teacher, girlfriend or anyone? Maybe I am the only one who thinks that it would ruin his marketing power...not to mention the shame for his family and SMU officials and all the reporters. I guess you could be right and everyone would just say " I didn't know" and move on, but what a disaster it would be don't you think?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Shakespeare said:

So...every reporter had to be lazy...every SMU professor or employee had to keep quiet...his friends and family  and support staff are all keeping it under wraps..he put it on his website right up front in his bio...and no one that I know of has called him out? Not one former student, teacher, girlfriend or anyone? Maybe I am the only one who thinks that it would ruin his marketing power...not to mention the shame for his family and SMU officials and all the reporters. I guess you could be right and everyone would just say " I didn't know" and move on, but what a disaster it would be don't you think?

Totally plausible IMO that reporters are lazy enough and don't care enough to go fact checking a fairly obscure detail in the greater scheme of things. Also that professors have bigger things to worry about and/or don't know about or care enough about what is being said about Bryson to go to the effort of reaching out to media outlets to correct the record.

IF Bryson is a narcissist / sociopath then it's not at all unusual for them to think that they're smarter than everyone else and won't be caught, and in the unlikely event that they get caught, that they will find a way to make it go away. I mean there are golfing examples. There was a guy who built his brand on being a devoted family man...

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

Or maybe golf should go back to players swinging within limits of the equipment. Kinda like they had to in the days of the ballata ball. 

I'm tired of hearing about this guy and his crying about cobra. My patience with this putz is gone. 

the distance the golf ball travels is STILL the 800 lb gorilla in the corner that nobody wants to deal with

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mosesgolf said:

Bomb and gouge is fine at Phoenix, Palm Springs, Hawaii etc.  Majors, TPC and WGC''s lets play some golf where precision is more rewarded than hitting a 360 yard drive into rough wedge to green.   Let the guys show off their short game and putting prowess.  The last thing I want to see now is Bryson golf.  Collin, Rahm, Spieth golf is most exhilarating.    KEEP GROWING THAT ROUGH. 

I like to cheer for the golf course. 

• Thanks 1

The degree or lack thereof is no consequence. It is just a piece of paper. I’ve framed my degrees, but I’m very well aware of their uselessness. They’re mainly tokens used by one person to show another how “intelligent” they are or to depict their personal propensity for frivolous debt. 

I digress, but I will admit that my curiosity has been piqued as to whether he went back and finished it up while on tour. If he did, I would imagine there would have been numerous puff pieces written about his determination and commitment to science such that he would take time away from his busy pro schedule to devote to his studies. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, j-rob said:

The degree or lack thereof is no consequence. It is just a piece of paper. I’ve framed my degrees, but I’m very well aware of their uselessness. They’re mainly tokens used by one person to show another how “intelligent” they are or to depict their personal propensity for frivolous debt. 

I digress, but I will admit that my curiosity has been piqued as to whether he went back and finished it up while on tour. If he did, I would imagine there would have been numerous puff pieces written about his determination and commitment to science such that he would take time away from his busy pro schedule to devote to his studies. 

He got it in 2016...he was taking the last classes after he left 2015. If it was 10 or 20 yrs later, then probably a story there...

20 minutes ago, Shakespeare said:

He got it in 2016...he was taking the last classes after he left 2015. If it was 10 or 20 yrs later, then probably a story there...

I’d say there’s still a story there. Finishing classes while gearing up for a very lucrative playing career would still be a big deal. Any time spent on the degree is time he could’ve devoted towards preparation. That shows commitment. 

The money he made in his first year on tour dwarfs what he would’ve made in a decade as a science teacher (most viable immediate option with a BS in Physics). 

Edited by j-rob

1 hour ago, GolfTurkey said:

Lieutenant Spears!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, j-rob said:

I’d say there’s still a story there. Finishing classes while gearing up for a very lucrative playing career would still be a big deal. Any time spent on the degree is time he could’ve devoted towards preparation. That shows commitment. 

The money he made in his first year on tour dwarfs what he would’ve made in a decade as a science teacher (most viable immediate option with a BS in Physics). 

Maybe...but my kids finished the last year of there degrees online...who is to say hus final classes were intro to poetry, underwater basket weaving, and quantum physics and took it online and then was done? They either ask you if you want your degree mailed or you go get it without having to get hit the head with a cap. I can only say my kids said it was easy online and they loved it

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shakespeare said:

Maybe...but my kids finished the last year of there degrees online...who is to say hus final classes were intro to poetry, underwater basket weaving, and quantum physics and took it online and then was done? They either ask you if you want your degree mailed or you go get it without having to get hit the head with a cap. I can only say my kids said it was easy online and they loved it

That’s reasonable. 

Continue the fanciful thinking all you want, but DeChambeau did not finish his degree. And that's fine. Certainly didn't hurt Nicklaus, Woods, Bill Gates, et al.

Here's some enjoyable reading:

https://outsidethecut.com/2019/06/10/the-haters-guide-to-bryson-dechambeau/

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

16 hours ago, Simpsonia said:

Do you think it's actually possible to graduate from a sciences program, that usually require more credit hours than arts programs (128 vs 120), in three years, all while being competitive at the highest levels of a DI athletics program? If you do, I've got a bridge to sell you. 

Yes, it's quite possible and more frequent than you'd think. Why? Because many D1 athletes are in school year-round. They remain on campus and take classes during the summer term to keep access to scholarship benefits/facilities/training staff. 

So while they may have only attended for three calendar years, they've had the benefit of at least two extra summer terms (three if an early enrollee).

No idea if that applies to BDC, though.

Cobra LTDx 10.5, Ventus Blue Velocore 6-S

Cobra AeroJet 3w @ 16.5, Kai'li White 70S

Cobra King Utility Iron @ 19.5, Tour AD DI Hybrid 105X

Callaway Apex Pro 2021 5-GW, Project X IO 110g 6.0

Cobra Snakebite Black "Versatile" 52/8, 56/10, 60/8, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125g

Ping Tyne 4 35"