Does the Japanese press follow Morikawa?

ChaosTheory

5 hours ago, Oldboy said:

Naomi Osaka seems to be pretty popular in Japan. Popular enough to represent them for the Olympics. I think times are changing. And now I’m reading she’s getting “blacklash” for it here in the states🙄

Morikawa will have to fight Hideki for press. That’s gonna be tough

She was born in Japan...

• Like 2

I watched the Japanese coverage. They brought up the fact he has a Japanese-American father (and a Chinese-American mother) and few times, and the telop at one point was something like "Victory in sight for Morikawa, who has roots in Japan" (日本にルーツのモリカワ, IIRC). The commentators also mentioned how it's been a good year for golfers with some relation to Japan; obviously Matsuyama Hideki, but also Yuka Saso winning the Ladies' USOPEN and Nasa Hataoka coming runner-up, and Morikawa winning the British Open). 

So it's mentioned, and is a bit of a point of pride, because, hey, everyone likes a winner. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

Jus sanguinis (right of blood) vs. jus soli (right of birthplace).

Japan, like most nations in Europe, Asia and Africa and Oceana follow jus sanguinis, meaning the parental nationality determines/confers citizenship to a child.

The US follows both. A US citizen abroad confers US citizenship to a child born abroad, and any child born in US territory has automatic US citizenship.

Naomi Osaka is an interesting case.

Naomi Osaka's mother is Japanese and father is Haitian. She has both of those citizenships, but technically was required to renounce her Haitian citizenship to maintain her Japanese citizenship after age 19.

Born in Japan and moved to the US with her parents at the age of three.

The press has wrongly assumed that she has US citizenship. There is no evidence that she was ever and American citizen. She has answered the questions in a a very cagey manner, saying "technically" she is not American.

There are two questions. One, how did her parents legally reside in the US? Her father was in the the US on a student visa and traveled to Japan on a school trip, meeting her mother while her mother was still in high school.

He moved to Japan and married her, so he then had a spouse visa to reside in Japan legally. The mother was the bread winner.

They claimed to have moved to the US in 2000, but there were no visas issued to anyone from Haiti after 1999 (confirmed through the Immigration and Naturalization website). It would have been virtually impossible for the father and mother (and Naomi) to have obtained a green card for residency, considering their different citizenships and no marketable skills, in addition to the father not residing in the country of his citizenship.

Unfortunately, their only option might have been to arrive on a 90-day tourist visa to visit the father's parents, who were living in NYC. The father was an adult, non-dependent of the parents, so they most likely overstayed the visa and were therefore illegally in the country after that.

You could not apply for green card from within the US if you were not on a legal visa of some other type. You cannot apply for a green card from a tourist visa. All applications must go through the embassy or consul in the country of citizenship.

Question two is more difficult.

The press lacks even rudimentary understanding of US immigration and citizenship laws. One ignorant reporter wrote that Naomi Osaka renounced her US citizenship, then others copied the same mistake over and over.

She did not renounce US citizenship, because she never had it.

And, if she did have US citizenship (virtually impossible unless documents were forged) it would be recorded in The Federal Register. It is required by law that the names of Americans renouncing citizenship must be listed in the Federal Register. And, they must renounce their citizenship at an embassy outside of the US.

A. Her name is not listed in The Federal Register. She did not renounce citizenship... if she had it. The quarterly reports are open to the public here:

https://www.federalregister.gov/quarterly-publication-of-individuals-who-have-chosen-to-expatriate

B. If she had been a US citizen and had renounced US citizenship, as the press has mistakenly reported, she would not be allowed to reside in the US ever again, having no path to obtain a green card. Yet, she is residing in the US.

She has never said that she is or was a US citizen. She has been very coy and does not answer questions about it.

So, it's a strange case with her. She:

- purposely avoided all "renouncing US citizenship" questions by saying she took steps to renounce her "other" citizenship

- never had US citizenship

- continues to have many unanswered questions about how her parents immigrated to the US legally and I believe this may be the reason for her refusal to speak to the press.

GolfWRX needs a "フムフム、なるほど" button to go along with the "Like" and other reactions. I suggest 🤨

I had wondered how she had got US citizenship bearing in mind her parents' nationality and place of birth; you're now saying it's likely she never had it. 

If true, that's a tough situation to be brought up and succeed like she has.

Agree. I think there's a lot of nail biting going on in her camp now. This was クチコミ about the time she pulled out from the French Open and stopped taking questions. Money fixes everything, so I'd guess they're doing some back room deals with immigration now to get legal. But there is no way she renounced US citizenship. She couldn't live in the US. There's definitely something ずるい going on.

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

On 7/20/2021 at 11:18 AM, Chief Penguin said:

Conversely, I’ve wondered if the British press follows Harris English? 😁

I had a 4th grade teacher named Mrs. English.

She was mean.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

Have to say, the year Adam Svensson made it through to the PGA tour and we learned he had his background here, that caught some attention. But not too much attention. That Willett sport his mother’s  flag on his bag is duly noticed.

Armand Duplantis... he get mixed reviews as a true competitior for our country. But since he joined my Golf Club, he’s a fellow countryman of mine.

34 minutes ago, Hankshank said:

Have to say, the year Adam Svensson made it through to the PGA tour and we learned he had his background here, that caught some attention. But not too much attention. That Willett sport his mother’s  flag on his bag is duly noticed.

Armand Duplantis... he get mixed reviews as a true competitior for our country. But since he joined my Golf Club, he’s a fellow countryman of mine.

Hopefully Duplantis wins gold.

On 7/18/2021 at 4:33 PM, Oldboy said:

Naomi Osaka seems to be pretty popular in Japan. Popular enough to represent them for the Olympics. I think times are changing. And now I’m reading she’s getting “blacklash” for it here in the states🙄

hideki's a bit bigger, esp in the shoulders/legs ... i think he could take morikawa quite easily ... 

that's not hideki, but it was one of the search results for him ... i like that little move at the end ... 😐

AggressiveForsakenCopepod-max-1mb.gif

Edited by tiderider

On 7/18/2021 at 2:33 PM, Oldboy said:

Naomi is a Japanese citizen. Colin is an American citizen. So not a fair comparison. Same goes for Colin and Hideki. Solomon got into more detail and explained it much better than I could.  
Speaking of press following Japanese players in the US that have “right of blood” (thanks Solomon) No bigger sport for that than MLB. The amount of Japanese press at any MLB game that has a Japanese player participating is crazy! Most recently Shohei Ohtani. I’ve been to a few A’s/Angels games and the amount of press, and just fans in general, that are there to see Shohei is astonishing. Especially if he’s pitching. Very cool. 

I wish that the TV announcers like Paul Azinger, David Feherty, Bones and others would at least learn how to pronounce Collins last name which isn't too hard. They kept saying Morakawa and it's Morikawa. Even the British gentleman who announced Collin as the Champion Golfer Of The Year pronounced his last name correctly.

Edited by aloha b.

10 hours ago, aloha b. said:

I wish that the TV announcers like Paul Azinger, David Feherty, Bones and others would at least learn how to pronounce Collins last name which isn't too hard. They kept saying Morakawa and it's Morikawa. Even the British gentleman who announced Collin as the Champion Golfer Of The Year pronounced his last name correctly.

So, should it sound like morykawa?  Because the short i and short a would sound so similar as to be almost no different.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

• Haha 2

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

18 hours ago, aloha b. said:

That’s just a product of the English language and american regional differences.  They technically aren’t pronouncing incorrectly unless were using the queens rules.  In which case we will all fall short.  

They’re saying “Mor-e-kowa “    The eh sound being the short i.   I think what you’re hearing is Regional dialect differences.  To me they sound perfectly normal. But I’m from the part of the country that doesn’t differentiate very clearly between short i and short e sounds.  

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

On 7/18/2021 at 3:26 PM, MtlJeff said:

He's huge here, because he went to La Canada high school.

Cañada, please 🙃

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept