Graphite Iron Recommendation

JRL2

Tore a tendon, need to go graphite for a while, after rehab.  Currently playing Mizuno 921 HMP with Project X 6.0, and get along great with them.  I have a set of Steelfiber i95 S in another set, but they are not heavy enough, much better with the heavier steel.  Hard loader, quick transition, 98 mph driver speed.  Thinking about SF fc115cw in an X or S with i125 for wedges, but open for suggestions.

I love SF i110.  Been fitted into it on multiple occasions, and it just works for me.  Regular flex plenty stiff for me, and I recently tried stiff flex which is very stiff and was actually quite painful for me. 

I just received a set of PXG irons with SF fc115 stiff soft-stepped, but have not really been able to give it a go.  With a limited outing, I could feel the extra weight, and between that, and the differing construction compared to the i110 (and whatever difference in stiffness in either direction), it remains to be seen whether the fc115 will work for me as well as the i110.

Otherwise, you should take a look at Kuro Kage 105, MMT 105, Recoil 110, Catalyst 100, among others.  All terrific shafts if the fit is right.  Lots of great premium graphite options right now.  Good luck.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

Thank you for the info.  I emailed Aerotech seeking info, but never got a reply on fc115cw.  I have researched all of the threads here, but there wasn’t much to help decide if the stiff or X would be better in that shaft.  The i95 stiff I have is very stiff, but I load it fine, just inconsistent directionally I believe due to lighter weight.  I am concerned that the softer tips in the stiff 115 may get hooky.  The Project X LZ 5.5 these Mizuno irons came with were extremely hooky for me, but the 6.0 produces perfect little draws.

You should seriously look at the Catalyst 100 project x 6.0. You’d get the same stability and ball flight you are used to in a lighter weight. One thing about SF shafts is they swingweight out very light. Not the case with the Catalyst. It’s basically the same shaft you like now in graphite and lighter weight. 

Edited by mogc60
  • Like 4

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

The MMT 105 TX is about the same weight as the Project X 6.0.  For my test builds, the cut weight for a 7 iron shaft with both of those was the same.  I soft-stepped the 105 TX and paired them with the MMT 105 TX scoring wedges that are just a bit heavier.  The setup is great.   I've found the MMT to be similar in profile to an X100 or PX being fairly tip stiff.  

I would also suggest trying the KBS TGI and the Mitsubishi OTI.  Both were close in performance to the MMT in my personal testing when I made the switch to graphite.  The SF 110 weighs less and definitely feels different having a higher balance point I believe.  It certainly swing weights out softer.  

Cally AI Smoke TD 9 Ventus Black 6x
Sim 16.5 Ventus Black 7x
Titeist TSi3 18 Hybrid GD Tour AD IZ 85x
Srixon ZX7 Mkii 4-PW DG TI 120 X100
Vokey SM9 50/54/60
TM Spider X Tour Stability Shaft

ProV1

2 hours ago, mogc60 said:

You should seriously look at the Catalyst 100 project x 6.0. You’d get the same stability and ball flight you are used to in a lighter weight. One thing about SF shafts is they swingweight out very light. Not the case with the Catalyst. It’s basically the same shaft you like now in graphite and lighter weight. 

I'd start here - as it's excellent starting point

• Like 1

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

2 hours ago, mogc60 said:

Agreed.  It's said that the Catalyst is based on the PX profile, seems like a good fit to look at Catalyst.  Not sure about 6.0 vs 6.5, might be worth exploring in a test most, if at all possible.

Golfers seem to like either PX or DG, not as often to see someone preferring both.  The Steelfiber shaft profile is very similar to the DG profile, with the tip section becoming stiffer as you move up in weight.  

Hence the Catalyst.  <shrug>

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

4 hours ago, JRL2 said:

Tore a tendon, need to go graphite for a while, after rehab.  Currently playing Mizuno 921 HMP with Project X 6.0, and get along great with them.  I have a set of Steelfiber i95 S in another set, but they are not heavy enough, much better with the heavier steel.  Hard loader, quick transition, 98 mph driver speed.  Thinking about SF fc115cw in an X or S with i125 for wedges, but open for suggestions.

Steelfiber i110s are great! Otherwise the PX IO might be an option to try. Get testing!!

I do like the Project X shafts, I have two RDX driver shafts, both blue and black, and they perform well.  My only concern with the Catalyst is the total weight.  The SF i95 shafts in my 718 AP2s were fine from a stiffness, flight, and spin standpoint, and they were swingweighted with tip weights to my preferred D4, but I was never as accurate with them as I was with the Project X 6.0 they came with.  That was why I was looking at the fc115cw, but the MMT 105tx SS1 might be a better way to go, albeit more expensive.

1 hour ago, JRL2 said:

I do like the Project X shafts, I have two RDX driver shafts, both blue and black, and they perform well.  My only concern with the Catalyst is the total weight.  The SF i95 shafts in my 718 AP2s were fine from a stiffness, flight, and spin standpoint, and they were swingweighted with tip weights to my preferred D4, but I was never as accurate with them as I was with the Project X 6.0 they came with.  That was why I was looking at the fc115cw, but the MMT 105tx SS1 might be a better way to go, albeit more expensive.

Recoil Proto might also be worth looking at.  Or Fujikura Pro 115 Tour Spec.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

13 hours ago, JRL2 said:

I got out for a few holes last night with my new PXG Gen2 P set with SF fc115 (ss 1x).  Solid shaft.  I did not get along with the fc90 in a set of Epic Forged, but I think that was primarily the weight.  Just as I prefer the i110 to the i95, I prefer the fc115 to the fc90.  

In the end, the fc115 might be a bit heavy for me, but that would be right in the wheelhouse of those that prefer 115g shafts and up.  My wheelhouse is more 105-110g.  In any event, do try to give the fc115 a demo.  Feels hefty and stable, without being as boardy as the i110 stiff.  And obviously, has the flighted characteristics.  YMMV.  

18 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

In the end, the fc115 might be a bit heavy for me, but that would be right in the wheelhouse of those that prefer 115g shafts and up.  My wheelhouse is more 105-110g.  In any event, do try to give the fc115 a demo.  Feels hefty and stable, without being as boardy as the i110 stiff.  And obviously, has the flighted characteristics.  YMMV.  

Thank you Jeffrey, I think I will try the fc115.  I had the old flighted Rifles back in the day and really liked those, these are the weight I am shooting for, and I can get a set at a reasonable price vs the MMT 105tx ss1 which would be my second choice.  If this wrist heals nicely I can always stick the Project X 6.0 back after rehab if I don't like the fc115.

• Like 1

I played rifle shafts for YEARS.  Starting with the Brunswick in the early 90's, then to Rifle flighted then to standard rifles.  

A wrist injury(well two now) sent me looking for relief.  I have tried every graphite iron shaft under the sun.  Accra, Recoil, Recoil Proto, Catalyst, MMT, RIP, NV, Sfiber(all variants).  While everyone is different, I went through them all and the best two FOR ME, were the standard Recoil and the Catalyst 100.   I have two sets of standard recoils (one in my gamers and another rubber banded together for another set in the future) and I have a set of Catalyst 100 in my Sub 70's(699 pro and 639 CB short irons split set).

Honestly it is all about feel and the shaft behaving the way you are used to get your best iron shots.  I will be honest though, I had to put some lead tape on the actual shaft of the Catalyst sets to get my start direction where I wanted it.  The total weight at 100 grams wasn't giving me the starting path consistency I wanted.  The recoils I play are the 110 version (I stepped down a little in weight) and they have been great.  They have beaten all contenders over the last five years.

• Like 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

I'll add one more option because I don't think it's been mentioned yet (though it might not be available where you are), and that's the Mamiya Attas carbon shaft for irons.

link

I've got the 115X in my 5i-PW, and the 115S in my #4 driving iron.

Edit: I forgot to add, the driving iron originally had the new version of the NSPRO GH950S shaft in it, but I didn't get on with it, probably because it was about 20g lighter than my other shafts. The Attas 115S is a much better fit for me.

Edited by No_Catchy_Nickname
  • Like 2

On 8/11/2021 at 7:17 AM, JRL2 said:

I have the KBS TGI 95 in my Mizuno 921 Hot Metal Pros, built them to D2 swing weight and totally loving it. For my 921 wedge, I put in the TGI 100. No issues going from wedge to the other irons, seemless.

Selecting the proper KBS TGI is based on how far you hit the 6 iron (refer to the Golfworks website). I hit my 6 iron 183 so the 95 is perfect. The 95 is considered by KBS as R+ and 100 onward is stiff and beyond. Now, my 6 iron is slightly longer. The 100 is considered stiff and 110 is extra stiff but according to my fitter, you better have the swing speed for them.

Price wise, TGI is hard to beat. I considered the Catalyst 100 CW for a long while and even the Fujikura MCI. Ironically, both my Gap Wedge and Sand Wedge (both of them Cleveland) have the Catalyst 100 CW 6.0 shafts in them. I like the Catalyst but, seriously, I am considering replacing them with the TGI 100s... we shall see.

I think what really pushed me to the KBS TGI is Kim modeled them after his KBS Tour profile & flight. My favorite iron shaft. He did not disappoint.

Anyway, lots of choices presented here so have fun selecting your shaft

Edited by SwingBlues
  • Like 1

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

I ordered a set of used Steelfiber fc115cw complete with grips I like at a good price off eBay.  These should be plug and play, so easy installation.  My thinking was not to spend big money on something I can't currently test while waiting for this wrist to heal.  If I like these graphites, that would be great, but if not I know I play well with the steel shafts and I can drop them back in after the wrist gets strong enough to handle the stress.  I will report back on the SF fc115cw later since there wasn't a lot of chatter on here about them.  Thank all you guys who offered information and suggestions, I am interested in the MMT, perhaps in the future when I can get a test shaft.

If it is just temporary, I would go with super lightweight shafts just to enjoy the game. Please don't risk it as heavy shafts, regardless of the material, can cause further injury. I would rather bring L-flex shafted clubs if I were you... BTW, you must be a real hard loader as swinging px 6.0 actually hurt my back and wrist once before. My ss maybe a bit higher than you but I just can't handle it lol. With multiple injuries, I am staying with 95g range shafts though trackman tells me my numbers are way better with heavier shafts (the best one was modus 120s). 

5 hours ago, JRL2 said:

I ordered a set of used Steelfiber fc115cw complete with grips I like at a good price off eBay.  These should be plug and play, so easy installation.  My thinking was not to spend big money on something I can't currently test while waiting for this wrist to heal.  If I like these graphites, that would be great, but if not I know I play well with the steel shafts and I can drop them back in after the wrist gets strong enough to handle the stress.  I will report back on the SF fc115cw later since there wasn't a lot of chatter on here about them.  Thank all you guys who offered information and suggestions, I am interested in the MMT, perhaps in the future when I can get a test shaft.

Definitely report back.  I had my PXG Gen2 P irons with SF 115 in the bag today for a round, and these shafts really are excellent.  I had PXG soft-step them once, and I think they are fine this way, though twice might be better for me from a stiffness/weight standpoint.  I think that PXG may have messed up my PW and GW and not soft-stepped those, as they are more challenging to load and launch than my longer irons.

But overall very smooth, very stable shafts.  Won’t be the easiest graphite shaft on the joints due to its stiffness and weight, but clearly much better than a comparable steel shaft.  Good luck.

• 5 weeks later...
On 8/13/2021 at 12:56 AM, SwingBlues said:

I have the KBS TGI 95 in my Mizuno 921 Hot Metal Pros, built them to D2 swing weight and totally loving it. For my 921 wedge, I put in the TGI 100. No issues going from wedge to the other irons, seemless.

Selecting the proper KBS TGI is based on how far you hit the 6 iron (refer to the Golfworks website). I hit my 6 iron 183 so the 95 is perfect. The 95 is considered by KBS as R+ and 100 onward is stiff and beyond. Now, my 6 iron is slightly longer. The 100 is considered stiff and 110 is extra stiff but according to my fitter, you better have the swing speed for them.

Price wise, TGI is hard to beat. I considered the Catalyst 100 CW for a long while and even the Fujikura MCI. Ironically, both my Gap Wedge and Sand Wedge (both of them Cleveland) have the Catalyst 100 CW 6.0 shafts in them. I like the Catalyst but, seriously, I am considering replacing them with the TGI 100s... we shall see.

I think what really pushed me to the KBS TGI is Kim modeled them after his KBS Tour profile & flight. My favorite iron shaft. He did not disappoint.

Anyway, lots of choices presented here so have fun selecting your shaft

What KBS TGI is most equivalent to the KBS Tour 120 S flex? 100?  I think....  Thanks for your insight.

I have an aggressive transition as well and the MMT in TX flex and they hold up remarkably well.  Played the Recoil protos before and the MMT are more stable.  My irons curve less now than before and I'm elated. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

20 hours ago, gsrjc said:

Consider LA Golf iron shafts. I used to play steel fiber i95s and recently got these with my ZX7. They are awesome and my driver swing is 100-101mph. 

47F73866-6E4C-48FD-8735-EEFF3372A4F0.jpeg

0F7BA21F-2C68-4503-842E-6AA271358035.jpeg

FA44E625-1755-4455-A8B4-0721C28B6262.jpeg

Tried to find those shafts on the LA Golf website, but couldn't.  Not a very well designed site.  How were you able to order them?

Ping G430 LST 10.5* Tour Black 2.0 65X

Titleist TSr2+ 13* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TSr2 16.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist TSi2 21* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping G430 5-UW Steelfiber i80S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 54* Steelfiber i80S

Cleveland CBX 2 60* DG 115
Scottie Super Select Squareback 2

Titleist AVX/Bridgestone BRX

I would also look at Xcaliber with their i9 or rapid taper designs. I just did a review on the i9 sha fts in the equipment section. I am not a graphite iron guy, but I would certainly consider these. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", C3 surefit and H2 for backweight, D1 SW, 45 3/8", 40g counterbalance weight;

PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber T6* tour stiff, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D1, 20g counterbalance weight;

Snake Eyes 19° Quick Strike Tour, Xcaliber T6+ Tour Stiff, 20g counterbalance weight;

Maltby TS-1 irons, Dynamic Gold Sensicore X100 (4i is DG X100 soft stepped 1.5 times), D3, 2° flat;

Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges, black satin, 50°, 54°, 58°, all 2° flat;

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong, 75g optivibe at 2" down the shaft and a 12g tourlock pro+ counterweight

Srixon Z Star XV, TP5X, or Maxfli Tour X

3 hours ago, ShowMe said:

Tried to find those shafts on the LA Golf website, but couldn't.  Not a very well designed site.  How were you able to order them?

I got them through club champion. I agree though their website sucks. The only other website I found information was some Australian website. The shafts are 105 grams. To me they are not as firm as the steel fiber i95s that I previously used. I’m able to feel the shaft and head more but it’s not whippy though.  It’s not like any other graphite shaft I’ve ever tried.  

Edited by gsrjc
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, gsrjc said:

I got them through club champion. I agree though their website sucks. The only other website I found information was some Australian website. The shafts are 105 grams. To me they are not as firm as the steel fiber i95s that I previously used. I’m able to feel the shaft and head more but it’s not whippy though.  It’s not like any other graphite shaft I’ve ever tried.  

Do you remember how much per shaft?