Golf Digest 100 Greatest Public Courses

Played all the ones listed in Wisco, Giants Ridge.- Quarry,.and Fortune Bay.  Lawsonia is my favorite followed by Giants Ridge - Quarry and Sand Valley.  While I like all the others you could put em in a random draw and I'd be fine with the list.  If I had to pick, Mammoth, Straits, Irish, Bull, Meadow Valley, River, Sentry World.

Harbortown is total overrated in my opinion.  When I played it in March of this year the greens were slower than death and course conditions was poor. Plus the $420 per round (including forcaddie)

Rotate the following:

Titliest TSR2 10* (@C1) Ventus TR Black 6X 

Titliest TSR2 16.5* (@A1) Fuji Speeder 8.3TS X

Titliest TSR2 21* (@A1) Fuji Atmos Blue 8X

Titliest 818H2 21* (@B3) Fuji Atmos Black 9X

Srixon ZXU 18*, ZX5 3-4, ZX7 5-PW

C-taper 125 S+ PVD Black, BBFCO "Black Ice Ice Ferrule", Pure DTX Purple Std +4 wraps

Cleveland RTX6 Raw 50*Mid Ctaper 130X, 54* Full S400 Onyx, 58* Low S400 Onyx

Mizzy MCraft VI 36.5" SS Pistol 1.0

Titliest PV1

On 9/16/2021 at 8:18 PM, Argonne69 said:

I've played 51 of the courses, including 8 of the Top 10, 17 of the Top 20, and 24 of the Top 30.

Pebble is my #1 course.

Karsten was the biggest ripoff. Solid course but $430 as a non-accompanied guest? Ridiculous. I'd put it at #75 or lower.

The Bull does not belong on the list.

Agree with the Arizona comments. Quintero over We Ko Pa (Saguaro) and Southern Dunes? Bah.

Cog Hill belongs on the list, but I prefer The Glen Club in Illinois. 

Chambers Bay was a blast. I'd have it around #12.

Sawgrass is also fun, but #11? I'd put it at 50 or below.

Arcadia South is a cow pasture with a few greens thrown in. Definitely not Top 100 material.

Love Pete Dye, but don't understand the love for Harbourtown. Top 100? OK. Put it at #95, not #25.

Ozarks National belongs on the list, but I thought Buffalo Ridge Springs was better.

I definitely prefer The Loop over Forest Dunes.

Sentry World is decent, but take away the flowers and it's at #99.

Paako Ridge but no Black Mesa? Hmmmm.

I don’t get your comment on Arcadia South. I found it to be a great course and far superior to the bluffs course. It actually requires strategy off the tee and precise iron play to score. 

On 9/16/2021 at 8:18 PM, Argonne69 said:

I've played 51 of the courses, including 8 of the Top 10, 17 of the Top 20, and 24 of the Top 30.

Pebble is my #1 course.

Karsten was the biggest ripoff. Solid course but $430 as a non-accompanied guest? Ridiculous. I'd put it at #75 or lower.

Agree with the Arizona comments. Quintero over We Ko Pa (Saguaro) and Southern Dunes? Bah.

Arcadia South is a cow pasture with a few greens thrown in. Definitely not Top 100 material.

Love Pete Dye, but don't understand the love for Harbourtown. Top 100? OK. Put it at #95, not #25.

Ozarks National belongs on the list, but I thought Buffalo Ridge Springs was better.

I don’t get your comment on Arcadia South. I found it to be a great course and far superior to the bluffs course. It actually requires strategy off the tee and precise iron play to score. 

8 hours ago, klebs01 said:

Well, I didn't say I liked the Bluffs, either. I found the Bluffs to be a bit too over the top. Someone had fun with a bulldozer, and the multi-tier greens bordered on silly.

The South course was the polar opposite. Doesn't look like they moved a shovel of dirt on the farmland. Very little character, although I agree that the greens were tough. Staotin Brae was much more appealing visually, and equally tough. I don't agree that strategy was required off the tee. Sure, there were fairway bunkers, but no more so that most courses. I don't recall standing on the tee fretting about them.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Didn’t count em up, but I’ve played most of the west coast courses plus a few others on here. First reaction is that I would place Spyglass above the Bandon courses. Obviously the views and setting of Bandon / Trails are otherworldly, but as far as golf course design / layout go, Spyglass is far more interesting to play, especially in a tournament setting (excuse my run on sentence). 

+1 for Bethpage Black. Hardest course I’ve ever played hands down and immaculate conditioning. Would love to get out to Kiawah soon when I’m ready to take another beating. 

5 hours ago, pb_n_joe said:

Didn’t count em up, but I’ve played most of the west coast courses plus a few others on here. First reaction is that I would place Spyglass above the Bandon courses. Obviously the views and setting of Bandon / Trails are otherworldly, but as far as golf course design / layout go, Spyglass is far more interesting to play, especially in a tournament setting (excuse my run on sentence). 

+1 for Bethpage Black. Hardest course I’ve ever played hands down and immaculate conditioning. Would love to get out to Kiawah soon when I’m ready to take another beating. 

Gosh, if you asked me if I would rather play Spyglass Hill or say Bandon Dunes, the original, then book me into the Lily Pond now. Apart from holes 1-5 and a few on the back nine SH is just a slog. Most of the designs at Bandon are better than Spyglass IMHO.

• Like 4

For those who complain that the inland holes at Pebble are disappointing, what would you like to see? I mean all 18 can’t physically be ocean holes unless you want to start in Monterey, hug the coast, and end in Cambria/Morro Bay…

Edited by 95124hacker
  • Like 1

Epic Speed 9* (VeloCore Blue 6S)

SIM2 Ti 15* (Tour AD BB 6SR)

Apex UW 19* (MMT 70S)

0311XP Gen3 4-PW (Accra 90i S)

Vokey Forged 52 

Vokey Forged Black 58.12K 

HiToe 64* 
WHP 7CS

TP5x

9 hours ago, 95124hacker said:

For those who complain that the inland holes at Pebble are disappointing, what would you like to see? I mean all 18 can’t physically be ocean holes unless you want to start in Monterey, hug the coast, and end in Cambria/Morro Bay…

A lot of people that make that complaint have never played Pebble 😂. I actually really enjoy the inland holes. 

• Like 1

On 9/16/2021 at 11:55 AM, vallygolf said:

I agree with the Cog Hill assessment.  Not sure how it keeps its ranking (lots of Chicago raters with a not great public scene???)  Not too many other huge gripes.  Still a sham that Southern Dunes (AZ variety) and WeKoPa Saguaro are superior in nearly every way to Quintero and dont get the recognition.  IMO at least a third of the bottom 50 are inferior tracks, but still get the nod.  Panelists bias against desert courses is real.  I have to track down some of the new ones, but I have played over 70 of this years list.  Rustic Canyon is another omission.  Conditioning may be holding it back.  It can at times be a tad bit rough around the edges, but that layout is top notch.

Raptor and Pinnacle are also better than Quintero

• Like 1

My hot takes:

1.) Sheep Ranch is not nearly good enough to deserve the #15 spot on this list (See B)

2.) The writers of the article overrate courses that are on the ocean (See A)

Edited by rooski

Driver:       PING G425 MAX 10.5* Diamana S+ 62 X

3w:             PING G425 MAX 14.5* / Ventus Blue 7X

5w:             PING G425 MAX 17.5* / Ventus Blue 9X
Irons:         Mizuno JPX921 Tour 4-PW / MODUS³ 120TX
Wedges:     Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50*, 54*, TaylorMade MG4 HBW 58* / MODUS³ 125 Wedge

Putter:       (Testing) L.A.B DF3 Counterbalance / TPT

Grips        Iomic Sticky Jumbo

22 for me - I have my comments on what I think of the ranking as well.

1 - Pebble Beach - About right, the best piece of land that a course is on.

2 - Pacific Dunes - Probably a little too high.

6 - Pinehurst #2 - Too high.

7 - Bandon Dunes - About right.

8 - Bethpage Black - Probably too low, should be top 5.

11 - TPC Sawgrass - Too low, for Florida golf it is amazing.

12 - Old Mac - Probably too high.

13 - Bandon Trails - Waaaaay to low.

15 - Sheep Ranch - About right but I need a few more rounds on it and I may move it up.

20 - Streamsong Red - Too high.

23 - Kapalua Plantation - Too low, one of my favorites.

26 - Streamsong Blue - About right.

34 - Streamsong Black - Too low, I would switch this one with Streamsong Red.

39 - Black Diamond Ranch (Quarry) - Waaaay too high. You get 4ish really good holes around the quarry and the rest are average at best.

42 - Torrey Pines (South) - About right. I was not impressed.

49 - Tobacco Road - About right. The more I play it the better I like it.

62 - The Classic at Maddens - About right.

65 - Wolf Creek - About right. If I played it more and knew the lines off of the tee I would like it more.

70 - Cascata - I would have said too low 3 years ago, but I played it again this year and it is not in as good of shape as before. The little extras you used to get are now gone.

73 - Pine Needles - Too low, really awesome course.

76 - Pinehurst #8 - About right, the more I play it the better I like it.

90 - World Woods (Pine Barrens) - Too high. Course isn't that great IMO. 

On 9/17/2021 at 12:50 PM, Primo1868 said:

Harbortown is total overrated in my opinion.  When I played it in March of this year the greens were slower than death and course conditions was poor. Plus the $420 per round (including forcaddie)

That’s crazy… Did they at least hug before?

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

On 9/16/2021 at 12:47 PM, david.c.w said:

I think in general I don't care for coastal, marshy, swampy courses.  EVERYTHING is always wet in the summer.  Sand is wet, fairway is wet, rough is wet, waste bunkers are wet.  Greens run at an 8.  Caledonia's range is muni mats into tattered nets and the 18th is a super short par 3, almost like an afterthought.

Maybe if i played in the fall/winter it would be better, just dont like the conditioning, the layout or even the overall marsh type of course.

#18 at Caledonia is not a par 3. #9 is. You can warm up at True Blue's range before playing Caledonia. Caledonia is on a tiny piece of property. Look at the property Caledonia is built upon. There could they have built a driving range? I've played both Caledonia and True Blue many times over the years in the summer and have never found the course conditions as you describe. 

• Like 1

Some impressive number of top 100 courses played by some of you guys. Unfortunately I've only played a handful. Maybe if my workplace gets closed again this winter due to lockdowns, I'll take a road trip and play a bunch.

Like many of you, I've played all the Bandon courses minus Sheep Ranch, but would rank Trails #1. Bandon and Pacific have some incredible views, amazing reveals, and some fun holes. But Trails is just such a good course. Lots of outstanding holes. In my opinion it stood out from the rest.

On 9/18/2021 at 11:06 PM, Chanceman said:

Gosh, if you asked me if I would rather play Spyglass Hill or say Bandon Dunes, the original, then book me into the Lily Pond now. Apart from holes 1-5 and a few on the back nine SH is just a slog. Most of the designs at Bandon are better than Spyglass IMHO.

Just saw your prior comment ranking Spyglass 11th out of 12 - clearly we have different taste in courses ha! Not saying I would place Bandon at the bottom of my list (and I'd jump at any opportunity to play Bandon or Trails again), but Spyglass is just slightly above in my rankings. Totally agree SH is a slog, but to me it's a slog in a fun, challenging way that requires your full undivided attention for the entire round. Bandon designs are certainly interesting in an entirely different / unique way - perhaps summed up by stating that Bandon is where I'd go to enjoy a round for its landscape / uniqueness, while SH is where I'd go to test my game and chase low scores. I know both have hosted US Ams and other big events, so I'm just pre-empting the folks who will try to tell me Bandon is also challenging lol

On 9/16/2021 at 2:18 PM, Argonne69 said:

Pebble is my #1 course.

Chambers Bay is the hardest course I played that I didn't lose a ball

I've got 14, and agree with earlier posters that courses by the ocean seem to be overrated here.

4. Ocean Course: Great course

6. Pinehurst #2: Great course

8. Bethpage Black: Best on this list I've played, I'd pull slightly ahead of Ocean and #2

11. TPC Sawgrass Stadium: Not sure this is worth the price, but playing the last 3 and then watching them on TV is a lot of fun

20. Streamsong Red: About right

24. Karsten Creek: About right

25. Harbour Town: Slightly underrated. I love playing here, you have to bring all the shots

34. Streamsong Black: Slightly overrated. One of the most fun courses out there, very memorable, but doesn't have the same shot values as others on the list

37. Greenbrier Old White: Slightly underrated

43. Golden Horseshoe (Gold): About right, and THE BEST deal on this list that I've played. It's a short drive for me so I go play the gold and another area course most years. Great par 3's (but they're all similar), Great par 5's, good mix of distances on the 4's

49. Tobacco Road: Very overrated, I don't get the love for this one. Most good golfers I know prefer Caledonia of the top Strantz courses, which was way further down the list

73. Pine Needles: Underrated

93. Mid Pines: About right

94. Bulle Rock: About right and very difficult

On 9/16/2021 at 9:43 AM, david.c.w said:

I am lucky enough to have played 10 of the top 20, and my October trip to Bandon will check off 5 more.

All of the 10 I have played are worthy of top 20 status and I would play again in a heartbeat.

My only significant comments on the list:

• Pebble lives up to they hype.
  • Streamsong Red was my least favorite of the 3 courses.  I would rank them Blue - Black - Red.  I know most publications and people put Red as #1, i just don't agree.
  • I hate Caledonia Fish Club (and True Blue).  I cant believe they make any list of good courses.  Perhaps it is because I have only played them in July when it is hot and humid as hell, but I think they are lame, and I have played them 4+ times when on vacation with my family.

Play Caledonia in October... Place is INCREDIBLE... also try Tobacco Road by the same course designer! 

The McLemore is local to me and I've played there several times.

I was curious about its inclusion because it's supposedly private, but this particular list makes an exception for courses that offer "stay and play" packages. 

This place also has a "Friends of McLemore" club that allows non-members to book one round per quarter. The tee times offered aren't the ones members are likely to desire, and the rate is $150 after cart and tax which is enough to keep casual players away. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

Looks like there was some consideration to courses that advertise heavily.  Both courses of the Loop at Forest Dunes?  Most reviews I've seen have said the one direction is much weaker than the other.  Many resorts with multiple courses have multiple courses on the list.  Haven't known too many resorts that have had all their courses be that strong.  

And any list that We Ko Pa Saguaro does not make is suspect at its core.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

Looks like there was some consideration to courses that advertise heavily.  Both courses of the Loop at Forest Dunes?  Most reviews I've seen have said the one direction is much weaker than the other.  Many resorts with multiple courses have multiple courses on the list.  Haven't known too many resorts that have had all their courses be that strong.  

That's the way the bread gets buttered, for sure. 

I know that Bandon Dunes is awesome, but making a place that remote such a huge success required a great relationship with the golf press. I have no inside information but it just seems obvious. Same with Pinehurst, the World Golf Village, Streamsong, etc. I'm sure they've all worked very hard to cultivate relationships with the people who write about golf for a living. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

1 hour ago, golfortennis said:

Huh? There are plenty of resorts on the list that don't have all their courses included. Pinehurst has only 3 of 9 courses on the list. Kiawah 1 of 5. Doral has 1 of 4. The Greenbrier has 1 of 3. Big Cedar Lodge has 1 of 3. Bethpage 1 of 5. TPC Sawgrass 1 of 2. PGA West 1 of 5 (public). Lawsonia 1 of 2. Reynolds Lake 1 of 6. World Woods 1 of 2. Kingsmill 1 of 2.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

1 hour ago, golfortennis said:

Most reviews I've seen have said the one direction is much weaker than the other. 

I haven't seen any that have said that. I'd be curious to see some. Please share a few links.

I've played the Loop in both directions and it's very difficult to say one is even marginally better than the other. They are both on the exact same land, they both use the same greens. I have some favorites going each way.

Here are links to photo tours of each Loop (Click on photo to open album)

PS - I do agree that We Ko Pa Saguaro should be on the list. I've played 48 of the 100 courses on the list and it would be in the top half of those I've played. No list will match everyone's tastes. Golf Mag's more closely matches mine

Loop Black

The Loop Black Course

Loop Red

The Loop Red Course

• Like 2

2 hours ago, golfortennis said:

While don't want to say that any of the courses here don't belong on a list, but every course wanting to be in a "top 100" or "best in state" will wine and dine the course raters.  I don't think they are paid directly, but they for sure get the complimentary red carpet treatment with golf, dining and accommodations.  I once asked our GM why we were not rated  above some lesser courses on some "best in state" lists (IMHO of course).  His answer was that getting on that list can be expensive and time consuming, and we did not need the recognition.  We have a multi-year waitlist and a full tee sheet, so right now being recognized in even local golf publications is not important.  I have never played We Ko Pa but I know several who have and from what I heard, everyone thinks it should be on this list.

Honestly this is true in any industry.  Does anyone think that Oprah's favorite things are actually her favorite things?  No, each product pays to be promoted by her.  

• Like 1