Where does Europe go from here

amish

The Hojgaards or Bob Macyntire or Willet or Pieters or Kinhult or Horsfield aint enough to stop the US from dominating the next 10-15 years. Better hope Sergio and the older crew has one more good Ryder Cup left in them. 

• Like 1

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

49 minutes ago, cdnglf said:

Probably best to just dissolve the EU.

Only a third of the team are from member states, so it would make sense to change the flag at least.

• Like 1

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

America haven’t won away in more than 25 years so we’ll see. If anything it should make for a more interesting match as home advantage narrows the talent gap.

I don’t even care that much if America win the next one, all I want is a close match. Hard to care about such a walkover win. 2010 and 2012 Ryder Cup were electric for drama, whereas the last few singles have been boring.

It is a pertinent question though. A lot of the blame for this performance is squarely down to the US having a stellar team, quite simply playing well across the board, and all but a handful of the European side turning up and playing dog track golf, so the soul searching that inevitably follows a heavy defeat should probably be tempered a bit by those factors. The simple fact is, the European team were comprehensively outplayed all week. The powers that be will have to take note of the fact that there's a changing of the guard though, with a lot of the established 'big name' Ryder Cup vets now at the very least past their best, and at worst having played their last in the event. It's all somewhat reminiscent of the mid/late '90s as Seve, Faldo, Woosie and Langer all started to ease their way out of the teams.

The US team is awash with young talent, and while Europe has some strong up and coming players, like the Højgaards, Migliozzi, Macintyre et al, it's tough to see where the main body of a solid team are going to come from over the next one, two and even three Ryder Cups, even if a few second- or third-timers are thrown into the mix along with Rahm, McIlroy and co.

Edited by mat562
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

The thing that worries me is after seeing this one at such a good course as Whistling Straights; is now how terrible the Rome course is compared to WS, it is the players and fans that make the Ryder Cup so good but..... 

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

I agree. I've heard a few European Tour bigwigs talk about how the Ryder Cup should be used as a vehicle to showcase some of the iconic locations in Europe.

It's a good job Rome is the Eternal City, because that course won't be sticking in the memory of too many people after it's all done and dusted.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, scott_Donald said:

The thing that worries me is after seeing this one at such a good course as Whistling Straights; is now how terrible the Rome course is compared to WS, it is the players and fans that make the Ryder Cup so good but..... 

Marco Simone was an average course for the Italian golf standards. Now the European Tour changed everything. We'll see. Pitty they didn't spent years testing it as happened for Le National.

Edited by imakaveli
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Fischputza said:

This is where they should go immediately

0S1A6339edit.jpg

Sell their sh*t on wrx bst 

quickly go to cavity backs 

buy new tour issue gear 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

1 hour ago, mat562 said:

It is a pertinent question though. A lot of the blame for this performance is squarely down to the US having a stellar team, quite simply playing well across the board, and all but a handful of the European side turning up and playing dog track golf, so the soul searching that inevitably follows a heavy defeat should probably be tempered a bit by those factors. The simple fact is, the European team were comprehensively outplayed all week. The powers that be will have to take note of the fact that there's a changing of the guard though, with a lot of the established 'big name' Ryder Cup vets now at the very least past their best, and at worst having played their last in the event. It's all somewhat reminiscent of the mid/late '90s as Seve, Faldo, Woosie and Langer all started to ease their way out of the teams.

The US team is awash with young talent, and while Europe has some strong up and coming players, like the Højgaards, Migliozzi, Macintyre et al, it's tough to see where the main body of a solid team are going to come from over the next one, two and even three Ryder Cups, even if a few second- or third-timers are thrown into the mix along with Rahm, McIlroy and co.

I posted this on the RC thread. It’s a bit shocking in black and white. Has golf participation declined rapidly in the UK?

I got to thinkin (oh oh; )

What happened to Euro golf?

Specifically UK. Check this out.

The top-10 ranked UK players

Rory (15)

Hatton

Casey

Fitzpatrick

Westwood (35)

Fleetwood

Rose

Poulter

Matt Wallace

Richard  Bland (93)

Has the UK abandoned the game of golf completely?!

Edited by bscinstnct

The OWGR has always favored the Americans. It never deterred previous teams. This round it might have been a bit more heavy towards the Americans but it doesn't excuse the crap play by many Euros. On any day any one of these players can beat any player on the American side. It just didn't work out, they underperformed and had a crap captain who made all the wrong moves except one, sending Rory out first this morning. About the only thing he did right. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, DanoCanuck said:

The OWGR has always favored the Americans. It never deterred previous teams. This round it might have been a bit more heavy towards the Americans but it doesn't excuse the crap play by many Euros. On any day any one of these players can beat any player on the American side. It just didn't work out, they underperformed and had a crap captain who made all the wrong moves except one, sending Rory out first this morning. About the only thing he did right. 

What exactly should the captain have done differently?

• Like 2

It was a sign of the times that the 2020 British Open (spelling is correct) was cancelled for the insurance money. The US has taken golf to the next level and Europe is getting lapped, even if they don't realize it yet. Golf is still a country club game in Europe, so while the elite buy their $900 Team Euro Ryder Cup polos, golf has become a game of the people here in the US. Many times more people are playing, the competition is much tougher at all levels. The best Euro players are basically Americans, Rahm went to school in the US and lives here, Rors live here, etc. If you want to play elite golf, no matter where you were born, you come to play in the USA.

If Europe wants to change that they need to start from square one. No easy way out.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, golfandfishing said:

What exactly should the captain have done differently?

Well, Poulter and Westwood were questionable picks.  Bernd Wiesberger sitting yesterday.  Pairing Poulter and McIlroy a second time, since getting blasted the first day didn't seem to tell anything.  I believe it was Hovland going out in foursomes even though his short game is well below the standard of some of the players that were sitting out?

Do these things = victory?  Likely not, but you need to put your team in the best position to succeed.  Harrington did quite poorly at that.

I don't know what input a captain has on the European side, but he also should have pushed to amend the qualification to not really include 2019 results.  But his hands may be tied there.

A number of Europeans were complaining he chose buddies.  I can sort of see Poulter *or* Westwood as picks, but it seems both was too much.  I think Lowry was a good pick, but I think recent form was not considered very much.

But really, where does Europe go from here?  Back to the golf course, keep playing golf.  Plenty of European teams in the last 40 years have been seen as what the future European teams appear to be, and they have won the Ryder Cup.  This isn't basketball where the best team wins most of the time.  Get drunk tonight, and forget all about it.  But there are too many people who make too much money off this thing to just leave it at that.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

Well, Poulter and Westwood were questionable picks.  Bernd Wiesberger sitting yesterday.  Pairing Poulter and McIlroy a second time, since getting blasted the first day didn't seem to tell anything.  I believe it was Hovland going out in foursomes even though his short game is well below the standard of some of the players that were sitting out?

Do these things = victory?  Likely not, but you need to put your team in the best position to succeed.  Harrington did quite poorly at that.

I don't know what input a captain has on the European side, but he also should have pushed to amend the qualification to not really include 2019 results.  But his hands may be tied there.

A number of Europeans were complaining he chose buddies.  I can sort of see Poulter *or* Westwood as picks, but it seems both was too much.  I think Lowry was a good pick, but I think recent form was not considered very much.

But really, where does Europe go from here?  Back to the golf course, keep playing golf.  Plenty of European teams in the last 40 years have been seen as what the future European teams appear to be, and they have won the Ryder Cup.  This isn't basketball where the best team wins most of the time.  Get drunk tonight, and forget all about it.  But there are too many people who make too much money off this thing to just leave it at that.

fairly sure Westwood qualified automatically. Poulter was a terrible pick, Rose is obviously a better 4somes player and McIntyre had a much better year than either of them.

Curious...are the younger players  from Europe as versed in match play today as their predecessors? Or has stroke play become the dominant form since many are traveling here to play collegiate golf?

Edited by SNIPERBBB

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind