Callaway UW

copegolfer

10 hours ago, rorykoepka said:

Is roger dunn also doing the trono shafts as a accidental free upgrade? I want the 17 deg bent to 16 deg and also the trono shaft. Unless someone has been able to do this in store at pga ss while also getting the trono

As far as I know it is only from PGA Superstore online.  I ordered from Roger Dunn but did not ask about the trono though.  Not sure if anyone has tried in store at PGA yet.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, rorykoepka said:

Has anyone confirmed exact tipping that callaway is doing with these shafts? I saw a post earlier that someone posted when speaking to a callaway rep but just wanted to see if anyone can confirm.

Also if anyone remembers, is this club shape similar to the Diablo octane tour fairway woods from 2011 (Henrik Stenson)? They look awfully similar in photos but I haven’t had a chance to see one in person

Apex uw 19* and diablo octane tour 15*.20211028_073953.jpg.5e097979d81db28002595a7959229275.jpg

• Thanks 1

Got out for a quick 9 holes this morning.  Grabbed the 19* with Trono 75 S.  Definitely, interesting results. As you can see from my sig, I am no WRX monster, but also no senior swinger (around 95mph driver ss).  I figured the Trono 75 would be unplayable for me, but it really wasn't a disaster.  I probably tested like 10 shots off the tee, and a few off the deck.  Frankly, it launched pretty nicely.  I would say it wants to go straight.  Felt very stable.  That said, being perfectly honest, results seemed pretty short.  Could be some combination of not loading the shaft properly, maybe too much spin, maybe not enough spin.  But it was not really blasting it out there.

Anyway, this won't be much help to anyone else, other than to say that you guys who are in the 100+ driver ss area, should really have no problem hitting the Trono 75 S.  Obviously, fit and numbers are a separate question/issue.  But the Trono 75 S is by no means an unhittable beast.  I'll try to give this more reps, but I would be surprised if I end up keeping this combo.  Will most likely return it for credit within the window.  YMMV.

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

31 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

Got out for a quick 9 holes this morning.  Grabbed the 19* with Trono 75 S.  Definitely, interesting results. As you can see from my sig, I am no WRX monster, but also no senior swinger (around 95mph driver ss).  I figured the Trono 75 would be unplayable for me, but it really wasn't a disaster.  I probably tested like 10 shots off the tee, and a few off the deck.  Frankly, it launched pretty nicely.  I would say it wants to go straight.  Felt very stable.  That said, being perfectly honest, results seemed pretty short.  Could be some combination of not loading the shaft properly, maybe too much spin, maybe not enough spin.  But it was not really blasting it out there.

Anyway, this won't be much help to anyone else, other than to say that you guys who are in the 100+ driver ss area, should really have no problem hitting the Trono 75 S.  Obviously, fit and numbers are a separate question/issue.  But the Trono 75 S is by no means an unhittable beast.  I'll try to give this more reps, but I would be surprised if I end up keeping this combo.  Will most likely return it for credit within the window.  YMMV.

Nice. Swinging 103-105, and ordered the 75s. Hope its a good fit. Ordered the 21* as my 5 wood is my distance club off the deck. This is to fill a keep between 17.5* 5W and 24* 5 iron. 210-215 with enough height and spin to hold a green would be perfect.

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

Ok, got to sneak out and hit a bucket with the 19* Trono 75 Stiff flex. I am 105-108 (trackman) with driver, super inside deliver, low launch and low spin. 

Trono: this shaft is PLENTY of shaft for me. I am one of those in between S and X and can get away with some softer X's or higher torque X's. I also swing driver more aggressively so generally go X in driver. I play Modus 120x in irons and they are perfect, some say those are soft, some say it's just the bend. I dunno. Anyway, the Trono feels beefy and stout for the waggle and I agree with others, it responded best for me when I tried to smooth out my swing rather than put an aggressive 'hit' on it. This shaft never felt loose to me at all and was super stable and gave me confidence that what I put in was was what i would get out. I like it. I like the textured black finish, kind of like the old black tie's.

UW: I actually don't know what I wanted this to be initially. I found it to launch a little lower and more penetrating than I thought it would. That said, it is a mid flight and very strong ball flight for me. I found it to carry about the same as my 5 wood but a much much lower flight. My 5 wood is way way way easier to launch and more forgiving. The 5 wood is less accurate and felt super long length wise, though. Compared to my u505 utility iron, the UW was as expected a bit higher flight and a bit more forgiving on heel strikes. Compared to my 22* hybrid, I carry that club about 210 and can get up to 220 on a draw. The UW was about 220 but up to 230 on a draw. Pretty good gapping between the two. For me, this club was super easy to hit a draw, but my fade attempts just went straight, (probably related to my inside swing path, though). It was not super forgiving, IMO, it doesn't feel like a club that does the work for you, it feels like a club that if you know what you are doing you can get it to hit the shots that you are trying to achieve. Sound and feel was not as loud/tingy as I thought some of the online reviews said it was. Felt great, metallic thwack. 

For me, if I didn't already have a 5 wood and utliity iron, I would say just get the UW and call it a day. It is close enough to both to do both jobs. I am undecided if I am going to do that and sell the others, though. The 5 wood goes higher, which I like, and the utility iron gives me a feeling of more control, which I like.

Lol, so much thought for a club that I generally hit 0-3 times a round 😂

• Like 2

Ai Smoke ♦️♦️♦️ 9* Ventus TR Blue 6x

BRNR Mini 13.5 Kaili White 60x

TSR3 18* Ventus TR Red 7x
TSR3 24* IZ 95x
Ping Blueprint S 5-PW $-Taper 120

PING S159 50, 55, 60h 
Phantom X 7

Another thought I had was that the 19* UW might possibly be very similar to a PING G425 19* hybrid in size, shape and distance. I think the UW would be more for a player trying to flight it and hit "Player type" shots. The G425 would be for someone that wanted more point and shoot. 

Ai Smoke ♦️♦️♦️ 9* Ventus TR Blue 6x

BRNR Mini 13.5 Kaili White 60x

TSR3 18* Ventus TR Red 7x
TSR3 24* IZ 95x
Ping Blueprint S 5-PW $-Taper 120

PING S159 50, 55, 60h 
Phantom X 7

17 minutes ago, halfsumo said:

Ok, got to sneak out and hit a bucket with the 19* Trono 75 Stiff flex. I am 105-108 (trackman) with driver, super inside deliver, low launch and low spin. 

Trono: this shaft is PLENTY of shaft for me. I am one of those in between S and X and can get away with some softer X's or higher torque X's. I also swing driver more aggressively so generally go X in driver. I play Modus 120x in irons and they are perfect, some say those are soft, some say it's just the bend. I dunno. Anyway, the Trono feels beefy and stout for the waggle and I agree with others, it responded best for me when I tried to smooth out my swing rather than put an aggressive 'hit' on it. This shaft never felt loose to me at all and was super stable and gave me confidence that what I put in was was what i would get out. I like it. I like the textured black finish, kind of like the old black tie's.

UW: I actually don't know what I wanted this to be initially. I found it to launch a little lower and more penetrating than I thought it would. That said, it is a mid flight and very strong ball flight for me. I found it to carry about the same as my 5 wood but a much much lower flight. My 5 wood is way way way easier to launch and more forgiving. The 5 wood is less accurate and felt super long length wise, though. Compared to my u505 utility iron, the UW was as expected a bit higher flight and a bit more forgiving on heel strikes. Compared to my 22* hybrid, I carry that club about 210 and can get up to 220 on a draw. The UW was about 220 but up to 230 on a draw. Pretty good gapping between the two. For me, this club was super easy to hit a draw, but my fade attempts just went straight, (probably related to my inside swing path, though). It was not super forgiving, IMO, it doesn't feel like a club that does the work for you, it feels like a club that if you know what you are doing you can get it to hit the shots that you are trying to achieve. Sound and feel was not as loud/tingy as I thought some of the online reviews said it was. Felt great, metallic thwack. 

For me, if I didn't already have a 5 wood and utliity iron, I would say just get the UW and call it a day. It is close enough to both to do both jobs. I am undecided if I am going to do that and sell the others, though. The 5 wood goes higher, which I like, and the utility iron gives me a feeling of more control, which I like.

Lol, so much thought for a club that I generally hit 0-3 times a round 😂

I agree pretty much with all of this.  I also wasn't sure what it would be, I just got it cause of the free Trono upgrade.  I haven't taken it to the course yet, just the range, but I feel it's gonna be more accurate than my 5/7 wood, but will launch lower, so it kinda depends on what I need. Not super forgiving, but pretty hot when struck solidly.

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

21* w/Trono 75x...KEEPER!

Solid, expected flight/height, shaft no problem, very stable easy to be aggressive.

Also have the 17* but just put on my mcc align +4 midsize grip.

The 21 is about the same flight/height as my 18* 5 wood... 5 wood less spin goes further and is 1.5" longer.

Bottom line...love shorter length clubs for control and aggressive swinging and the UW is that club.

• Like 1

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

30 minutes ago, sociojeje said:

Reading many trono reviews, the "secret" promotion seems to be quite successful. I now want 55s for my driver and 65s for my 3w 🤣 I feel like I like it more than ventus blue, my current driver shaft. Well, I only hit several range balls with uw 19 75s but I am hooked. 

how was the trajectory with yours? Im trying to get comparisons to a hybrid or wood in the same loft. I'm not in town so cant test it just yet. 

PING G430 LST 10.5° | DIAMANA GT 60X

COBRA DARKSPEED X 3HF 16.5° | HZRDUS BLACK 70X

PING G425 7W 20.5° | DIAMANA GT 70X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MMT TAPER 105TX

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MMT TAPER 105TX

PING GLIDE 4.0 50°/54°/58° | MMT WEDGE 125TX

ODYSSEY TRI-HOT 5K SEVEN DB

SRIXON Z-STAR DIAMOND 

1 hour ago, agood3putt said:

how was the trajectory with yours? Im trying to get comparisons to a hybrid or wood in the same loft. I'm not in town so cant test it just yet. 

I usually control the flight and it was quite manageable. However, range ball flight is often drastically different from my ball (zstar). Definitely lower than a typical fw though and quite similar to my 20 hybrid. Tight side dispersion is one thing I really like about uw. 

• Like 1

Tested my 19° with Trono 75S I agree with a lot of what has been said low launching but not super low spin definitely enough spin to hold some greens. 

I'm 105 mph average driver but I swing my woods and hybrids a little slower comparably. Average carry was 218 which was great distance for my swing at that loft.  The trono 75s performed well but I felt like I needed to be smooth with speed to get it going. Definitely not the right shaft for me but I'm sure alot of people will love it I just didn't like the feel. It's probably too stiff for me.

This one is likely going back for credit, traded for a different shaft or sold to pass on the deal if pga ss pulls the sneaky Trono deal. Although I'm very tempted to throw a Tour AD DI or a ventus red in it. All in all I really like the club just need to tighten up the right loft and shaft.

I'll report back after a round of golf, possibly throw the arccos on also. If I play up at my course I will have a lot of layup shots to test it out on.

Quick non-Trono review... I chose a 19* with an Evenflow Black 75X, same shaft as my 3 wood.  I was basically the only one on the course today so I was able to hit it a bunch of shots in 50* temps.   My initial impression is that this club is the real deal... flight was a little higher than I expected after reading some of the reviews on here, but dispersion was nice and distance was around 230 in the cooler temps (driver ss 110-112).  It's definitely more hybrid than wood-like to me... it's basically a hybrid that you don't have to worry about hitting left (I kept waiting for one of those hybrid left shots and it never came so I'm absolutely thrilled with this so far).

For whatever it's worth... I ordered directly from Callaway last Thursday afternoon and it was on my doorstep 6 days later.  Amazing.

Callaway Paradym Triple 🔹 8*
AI Smoke Max 3wood 14*
Apex UW 19*
Callaway Apex MB '24 
Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 56, 60
Jailbird

Ended up with the 17 and 21 with Ventus 7s and 8s.  Im old school...so looks are right up my alley with these two...especially after playing ping woods and hybrids w/turbulators and all.  Looking to replace my ping 5wood at 16.5 and the 17 UW w/Ventus 7 is jumping right in the mix nicely.  Was a bit worried about the shaft since I'm and older 95-99 driver SS player.  But the shaft is working out great...hitting slightly lower than the ping but flying farther.  Hit a few today that were almost as far as my 3+ wood.  

The 21 UW with Ventus 8s...is taking a bit more to get used to.  Trying to replace one of my favorite clubs...a ping G400 19 with tour ad di 85.  The UW shaft is a about .5-.75  longer which could be part of the problem and the swingweight seems higher on the UW (may have to swap out the weight and/or cut it down).  When I got the UW it was higher and about the same distance as the G400 19 Hyb.  Felt like I can work the G400 a bit better, but I've been playing that club for several seasons.  

Sound and looks are great.  I feel like high SS players could go driver, 17 and 21 and be done.  I play more of a Webb Simpson set up and will prob go Driver, 13.5 Strong 3, 17UW, 21UW then alternate between a 24 traditional Hybrid and 4/5i.  

• Like 1

On 10/27/2021 at 11:21 PM, Vardon Grip said:

Could this be the greatest marketing experiment (stunt) ever run by an equipment manufacturer?

Maybe they worked out a deal with LA shafts? Probably not...

Honestly starting to wonder about this... No way PGA SS hasn't noticed this yet if it's actually a mistake right? Is there a chance these trono shafts are a "made for" version like TMs ventus? Anyone seen other retailers selling these at no upcharge? Tin foil hat is going on soon... Haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, M44km44k said:

Honestly starting to wonder about this... No way PGA SS hasn't noticed this yet if it's actually a mistake right? Is there a chance these trono shafts are a "made for" version like TMs ventus? Anyone seen other retailers selling these at no upcharge? Tin foil hat is going on soon... Haha

I wouldn’t be surprised if you’re right. Not offering the TX flex has to also mean that it could be a different profile/materials. Hopefully someone who has tried the aftermarket x flex, pga ss glitch x flex, and aftermarket TX flex can chime in

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, rorykoepka said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if you’re right. Not offering the TX flex has to also mean that it could be a different profile/materials. Hopefully someone who has tried the aftermarket x flex, pga ss glitch x flex, and aftermarket TX flex can chime in

They’re being built by Callaway — somebody could just call Callaway customer service and ask if they have any made-for versions.

(I’d be willing to bet a whole lot that these are NOT made-for versions, for the reasons I explained earlier in the thread, but no reason not to ask!)

Edit: I took my own advice and called Callaway; posted what I heard here.

Edited by eric61
  • Like 1

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

1 hour ago, M44km44k said:

I thought about that before ordering. But check the Epic fairways woods. Trono is +$345. Also no TX available. Just S and X in 65 and 75. 

image.png.5a2e44e378349c9ae590d92f536de477.png

Epic Speed as well. $645 for a 7 wood with the Trono selected. 

image.png.de48e732bcc88770bac73042aa160fbb.png

Edited by scooterhd2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, eric61 said:

They’re being built by Callaway — somebody could just call Callaway customer service and ask if they have any made-for versions.

(I’d be willing to bet a whole lot that these are NOT made-for versions, for the reasons I explained earlier in the thread, but no reason not to ask!)

4 minutes ago, scooterhd2 said:

I thought about that before ordering. But check the Epic fairways woods. Trono is +$345. Also no TX available. Just S and X in 65 and 75. 

image.png.5a2e44e378349c9ae590d92f536de477.png

Epic Speed as well. $645 for a 7 wood with the Trono selected. 

image.png.de48e732bcc88770bac73042aa160fbb.png

My suspicion is wrong. I think you guys are both right since it lines up with what’s offered on callaways website with the $345 upcharge.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rorykoepka said:

My suspicion is wrong. I think you guys are both right since it lines up with what’s offered on callaways website with the $345 upcharge.

I took my own advice and just called Callaway. Customer service rep said the Trono thing sounds like a glitch on the PGA SS site and they would definitely upcharge for that shaft, and that they don’t have any made-for version. 

Not trying to promote this or anything — I’d never bought anything from PGA SS prior to these recent glitches, and otherwise always order clubs from DD’s — just passing on what I’m told in case it’s useful info.

EDIT TO ADD: One other super random tidbit, because I want to get an Epic Speed 3W with a Diamana TB, and the TB isn’t listed on their website as available for an upcharge even though the previous-generation BF is: Customer service rep said he didn’t know, but he did know they won’t update available shafts to add more to the list until at least the first of the year. Just a random bit of info I thought someone out there might find interesting, but that I didn’t really have anywhere to put.

Edited by eric61
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

3 minutes ago, jt2gt said:

Searching for weights on ebay and TRono shafted UWs are all over the bay.  Good thing they are the real deal Tronos.  Im going to hold on to my VENTUS UWs and see how they work out.  But for good karma purposes, if I pass them on, won't upcharge too much. 🤣

The Callaway UW with a Trono on Ebay, I see listings for five items....all very high priced.

Glad I got the discount!

callaway uw trono | eBay

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0 / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV Raw White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

RE:  LAGolf TRONO shaft in the Callaway UW.

I regripped my 21* and took pics of the shaft specs.  Provided that to LAGolf for determination as to the authenticity, made-for, real-deal shaft info.

Reply from LAGolf......interesting reply....wonder how Callway got these shafts?  Anyway they are upcharging $345 for these proto shafts!

"Hi Bob,

I can verify that you have an authentic LA GOLF product, however, the shaft is a Trono PROTOTYPE. Revision G to be exact. I do not have access to provide exact specs of this shaft. It's likely very similar to the official version of Trono, but may have some minor differences in its build and spec. These shafts were for tour or testing, not for resale.

Hope this helps,

Addison Copeland

Direct Sales and Service Manager

714-696-7400 Office/Direct

800-275-3401

LA GOLF"

2031576554_LAGolfTRONO75x.jpg.3e34c7e2e3f7f053962b39a14238b40e.jpg

Edited by BirdieBob
  • Like 3

even better. Trying to get that shipping notification before the cover is blown. 

Edited by scooterhd2
  • Like 1