2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

2:47 round for 6300 yds 18 holes

Pearson10M

I don't think 2:47 on a 6300yd course is crazy fast if it's an easy one to walk. I know slow / fast play threads get testy but it's pretty easy to play in say, sub 4 hours....and still be able to talk and enjoy your round. All you have to do is little things like be ready to hit when its your turn. 

That being said most courses have guidelines posted and if you do it in those guidelines, you're not doing anything wrong

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I'll use a three hr. round and a five hr. round.

I don't think there is any one reason why someone plays a round in three hrs. or someone that plays a round five hrs. I am more likely to play in three hrs. That time doesn't have anything to do with rushing around because I have to be somewhere. I would never go out if I had pressing things to do elsewhere and end up having to rush my game. Taking three hrs. is simply how long it takes me to hit the ball, go to the ball, hit the ball, etc.

If I was one to take five hrs. it wouldn't be because I didn't want to go home. I don't know what the reason would be to play that slow. A person can't actually be playing the whole time at five hrs. If it was because I didn't want to go home I wouldn't drag out hanging out on the course. I would play my round and hang out at the 19th hole or do something else. 

I am all for enjoying my round. For me it's playing golf. The time it takes me is the time it takes me and there are no off the course reasons that time is based on. On the course has everything to do with my pace of play.

On 1/15/2024 at 9:35 AM, BHI 99 said:

Not even close. But since we’re playing the assumption game, if you don’t have 4 hours to play golf…you don’t have 3 either. Perhaps fellas that have to be done in under 3 need to hurry home to the family they’re neglecting? 

Who knows, right? 

I'm not even sure what point you're trying to make here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*

Taylormade Stealth 3w

Taylormade Stealth 19* Hybrid

Taylormade Stealth 22* Hybrid

Taylormade P770  5-PW

MG2 50/54

MG3 58

TM Itsy Bitsy

I am an obese, 60 something retiree who walks every round.  I can do sub 3 hours carrying in a threesome and about 3:15 in a foursome walking 6500 +/-.  Actually our course is the same walking from 7000, 6500 or ladies tees .  Walking from the previous green always takes you by the back tees first.  Our course is flat, and not a long walk between holes except changing nines.

A three hour round does not require rushing, just no one holding you up.  My preference for a 4some with betting is about a 3:30 round.  This allows enough time for needling and pressing as needed.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Walked 18 in about 2 1/4 hours - granted I was solo and the course was empty.  I was FLYING though. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym 10.5* with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 60 Stiff

Fairways:  Callaway Paradym 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Irons:  Cobra Forged TEC 4-PW with KBS Tour Stiff

Wedges:  Callaway Jaws Raw Plasma 50, 54 & 58

Putter:  Scotty Phantom X 5.5

On 1/16/2024 at 2:03 PM, Yuck said:

Actually our course is the same walking from 7000, 6500 or ladies tees .  Walking from the previous green always takes you by the back tees first.  Our course is flat, and not a long walk between holes except changing nines.

LOL

How is it possible that walking 7,000 yards and walking 5,000 yards takes the same amount of time ? :classic_blink: Average walking speed is ~3mph. That means the additional 2,000 yards from ladies to the tips should take about 23 minutes.

And that doesn't take in the 30-40 yards from the green to the next tee, another 500+ yards - which ALSO takes another 6  minutes or so.

It also doesn't account for someone who self-describes as obese (& therefore likely walks a bit slower than average) & likely walks slower still carrying or pulling around, a 15-20-pound bag of clubs.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

6 hours ago, nsxguy said:

LOL

How is it possible that walking 7,000 yards and walking 5,000 yards takes the same amount of time ? :classic_blink: Average walking speed is ~3mph. That means the additional 2,000 yards from ladies to the tips should take about 23 minutes.

And that doesn't take in the 30-40 yards from the green to the next tee, another 500+ yards - which ALSO takes another 6  minutes or so.

It also doesn't account for someone who self-describes as obese (& therefore likely walks a bit slower than average) & likely walks slower still carrying or pulling around, a 15-20-pound bag of clubs.

If it's my course it's because every hole is framed by backyards and at times there are 1/4 to 1/2 miles between finishing green and the next tee box.  There isn't an option to play the next fairway with a slice or hook, it's ob because it's in someones yard, holes aren't parallel to each other they snake along through a "golf course community".  It doesn't matter what tees I play the walk is over 5 miles for 18 holes.

Is it clear now?  It's possible to walk far more than the stated course length due to course layout. 

• Like 1

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

8 hours ago, bekgolf said:

If it's my course it's because every hole is framed by backyards and at times there are 1/4 to 1/2 miles between finishing green and the next tee box.  There isn't an option to play the next fairway with a slice or hook, it's ob because it's in someones yard, holes aren't parallel to each other they snake along through a "golf course community".  It doesn't matter what tees I play the walk is over 5 miles for 18 holes.

Is it clear now?  It's possible to walk far more than the stated course length due to course layout. 

I walked a course a few weeks ago that had a mile between the two sections of the course. After finishing the 6th hole, it was a mile hike to the 7th tee. After finishing the 15th hole, you walked the same mile back to the 17th teebox located near the 6th green. It appeared that the course was originally a nine hole layout, and they used the original holes for 1-6 and 16-18.  I estimate that I could walk the course in 2:40 if it didn't have the large gap. Wound up finishing in 3:20 after the pair of 20 minute hikes.

Plenty of housing development courses with gaps between holes in the 1/8 mile to 1/4 mile range. I've played a few that had 1/2 mile hikes, but they're rare.

Many courses that don't allow walking seriously overstate the total distance. Had one course tell me it was over 9 miles total. What a joke. The course was 7200 yds, or roughly 4 miles in length. They failed in trying to convince me that there was the equivalent of a 500 yd par 5 between every hole. Lol. The average gap between holes was probably 100 yds. Longest gap was probably 400 yds.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

On 10/19/2021 at 6:02 AM, drumdude96 said:

You wouldn't happen to be one of the guys not letting faster golfers play through, would you? Lol. You seem pretty riled up about us complaining about the lack of etiquette. Mind you, what you said is funny as hell, but I don't exactly get where you're coming from.

I think its pretty obvious the comment was tongue in cheek directed at peoples ambition to play a game that inherently takes quite a bit of time as quickly as possible.

• Like 2

Driver: Taylormade M2 (set at 8.5); Graphite Design AD DI5-X

3 Wood: PXG GEN 3 0341X 15.5; HZRDUS Yellow 70 6.5

Hybrid: PXG GEN 5 0311XF 19; HZRDUS Black 6.5

Irons: Titleist T100s 4-PW; Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: PXG 0311 Forged 50, 54, 58; Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Putter: Odyssey Pro 9 White Hot

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x 

11 hours ago, bekgolf said:

Not sure I understand that question. :classic_blink:

I thought it pretty clear that the walk is FAR longer, and more time-consuming, than the gentleman I quoted suggested.

Titleist Pro V1X

• 2 months later...

I've played 18 with a cart by myself in an hour and 37 minutes before.

This was first thing in the morning with no one in front of me; however, I probably spent at least 15 minutes waiting on the grounds crew to cut 3 or 4 of the greens.

That's while shooting somewhere in the mid to upper 70s from 6100 yards on a par 71.

I am the fastest golfer I've ever met. I'm sure there are plenty of quicker guys out there but I've yet to meet any.

G430 LST 9 Matrix 50M4 R Black Tie

BRNR Mini 11.5 Midr Proto 65R

Apex UW 2021 17 Smoke Black RDX 70 5.5

TSR2 21 & 24 AV Raw Blue 75R

T350 6-48 AMT Red R300

RTX Full Face Black 54 60 KBS Hi Rev 2 115

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 CH 34in SS Pistol 1.0

Srixon Q Star Tour 

On 2/3/2024 at 4:39 PM, nsxguy said:

LOL

On a lot of courses, you have to walk past the tips to get to the forward tees. You're going to walk the same no matter the tee you play from. In a 5,000 yard or 7,000 yard course, those aren't your actual walking distance.

Edited by tatertot
  • Like 2

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

On an early afternoon weekday, I'll often play 36 holes (jn a cart) in 4 hours, shooting high 60s and low 70s. 

I can also play 18 holes in a foursome on Sunday in 4 1/2 hours.

They're both enjoyable, depending on expectations. I would not be happy playing a 4 hour round on a Wednesday afternoon.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tatertot said:

On an early afternoon weekday, I'll often play 36 holes (jn a cart) in 4 hours, shooting high 60s and low 70s. 

I can also play 18 holes in a foursome on Sunday in 4 1/2 hours.

They're both enjoyable, depending on expectations. I would not be happy playing a 4 hour round on a Wednesday afternoon.

I enjoy playing golf no matter how long it takes. I enjoy being at the golf course playing or practicing. Time only becomes relevant if I start so late that I can't finish 18. Some of that is on me for starting too late. It could also be a full course with slow players, but I usually allocate 5 hours so the likelihood of not finishing is very small (obviously can vary by course/day of the week).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tatertot said:

On a lot of courses, you have to walk past the tips to get to the forward tees. You're going to walk the same no matter the tee you play from. In a 5,000 yard or 7,000 yard course, those aren't your actual walking distance.

Gotcha. I seem to remember that post for some reason.

Most of the tees at the courses I play most often "start" at the tips and proceed forward to the red.

Apologies to @Yuck and @bekgolf for mis-visualizing what they were saying. 👍

• Like 2

Titleist Pro V1X

8 hours ago, ThinkingPlus said:

I enjoy playing golf no matter how long it takes. I enjoy being at the golf course playing or practicing. Time only becomes relevant if I start so late that I can't finish 18. Some of that is on me for starting too late. It could also be a full course with slow players, but I usually allocate 5 hours so the likelihood of not finishing is very small (obviously can vary by course/day of the week).

I enjoy being at the course, too. I'll stay as long as I can.

Given the choice, though, I'd rather play 36 in 4 hours than 18.

• Like 1

Twosome yesterday, played 18 in 2:29 on an empty, sodden course while in no great rush.  Hitting fairways and greens sure speeds this game up.  🙃

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4-6 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 7-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore Tour raw wedges 52/56/60

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

There's a basic inequity at work. If you want your round to take 4-5 hours, you just slow down, faff about and take 4-5 hours. No stress, no worries, even if 80 other people are backed up behind you. 

But if you enjoy playing in 2-1/2 hours, unless you're very, very privileged you aren't going to be able to do it. There's always some joker up there having a stress-free 4-1/2 hour round while you stand around and wait. 

It's simple for me. What I call "golf" consists of hitting the ball, walking to it, hitting it again and keep doing it for 18 holes. Very recreational, very relaxing, decent exercise. On most courses, that just doesn't take very long. If I'm out there 4-1/2 hours then I'm spending half that time playing "golf" and the other half standing around waiting which is not stress-free at all.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, North Butte said:

There's a basic inequity at work. If you want your round to take 4-5 hours, you just slow down, faff about and take 4-5 hours. No stress, no worries, even if 80 other people are backed up behind you. 

But if you enjoy playing in 2-1/2 hours, unless you're very, very privileged you aren't going to be able to do it. There's always some joker up there having a stress-free 4-1/2 hour round while you stand around and wait. 

It's simple for me. What I call "golf" consists of hitting the ball, walking to it, hitting it again and keep doing it for 18 holes. Very recreational, very relaxing, decent exercise. On most courses, that just doesn't take very long. If I'm out there 4-1/2 hours then I'm spending half that time playing "golf" and the other half standing around waiting which is not stress-free at all.  

Well said....I agree with you 100%

• Like 1