Golfpride discontinuing grips

AmateurAmateur

Heard a couple of rumours that Golfpride may be discontinuing certain models of grips by 2022. Anyone have any insight on this? Ever since they made the "Tour Van" option available getting BCT cord midsize has been way easier. Not eager to make the switch into the CP2 Wrap which seems to be the only golfpride grip in stock at any golf store in the world. 

Do you not do your own grips?  Super simple and you can always have stuff available to redo.  Each winter when GT or Golfworks has their grip sale (who knows this year), I stock up as I know I'll be redoing iron sets through the year.  I likely have 50-60 grips sitting in a box or two somewhere.

A Revolving Door

Yes, I had a conversation with the Golf Pride rep at my store yesterday.  Although I don't recall all of the specifics, there are quite a few grips that are going to be on hiatus.  For example, some of the MCC+4 colorways are not going to be made, while others will continue.

Ping G400 MAX 9° Motore Speeder 757 Evolution Tour Spec S

Mizuno ST-3 15° 3W Ventus Blue Velocore 70S

Tour Edge Exotics EXS Pro 19° 3H HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X
                                                  PXG 0211 XCOR2 Xtreme Dark 5-GW Mitsubishi MMT 80S
Edison 55°/59° DG 115 S200 Tour Issue
Edel EAS 4.0
Camino Sunday Bag
Titleist ProV1

Makes sense to pare down offerings when the supply chain is unstable. 

• Like 3

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

Did they say which ones they are cutting down on?  The MCC+4 makes sense because surely there are some team colours that are not readily purchased.  Personally, I think the team concept is a bit dumb anyways, but that's me.  Don't get me wrong, I love love love a Victory cord and a BCT Midsize, but as I am getting older I am finding softer grips much more agreeable.  I'm not old by any stretch to a lot of folks, early 30s, but I had Lamkin Sonars last year and they were incredible.  So durable, soft, but had a lot of tackiness that I didn't really miss the cords at all, honestly.  I am thinking I might migrate towards all Lamkin, maybe the Sonar+ Wrap Calibrate.  I've always liked a ribbed grip and they are getting harder to find and the GP options with the align are not as pronounced as I was hoping they'd be.

But, if GP would reintroduce the Victory Cord Ribbed Midsize, I'd buy a case the day they are available and have grips for basically the next 20 years and love every second of it.

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

Ping G430 Max 9* --- Tensei 1K Pro Orange 50 --- set to 7.5* at 45.75"

Taylormade BRNR Mini Copper 11.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 44"

Titleist TSR3 16.5* --- Diamana Thump 70 --- 42.75"

Callaway Apex UW 21* --- Diamana Thump 80 --- 41" 

Mizuno ST-Max 5H & 6H --- Steelfiber i95 Private Reserve

PXG Gen 5 0311T 7-G Black --- KBS $-Taper 115 

Titleist SM10 54.12D & 58.08M Jet Black --- KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 Black 125

Bettinardi Hive Custom --- Stability Black

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track Yellow; Lamkin Sonar Midsize + grips

I hope they keep the Tour Velvet Plus 4 grip (listening Golf Pride?).  They save me a lot of time from taping my grips similar to what I get automatically with the Plus 4.  I agree with the statements about the MCC grip models. I was in Golf Galaxy this past weekend and out of all the different bins of grips it seemed like 75% of them contained MCC.  By the way - they had no TV Plus 4's.  

Edited by cristphoto

It's logical that slow sellers are phased out and replaced with new models.  GolfPride has a LOT of colorways within some grip models too so reducing those are another way for them to save money.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I caddied for the president of GolfPride not terribly long ago (probably within the last year) and chatted theory a bit. Really nice guy. We didn't talk specifically about anything going away, but they're definitely trying to promote this idea of the twist-on grips for easy customer installs. I personally don't care for that idea if it changes the weight distribution of the grip, but that's just my opinion. We also talked a good bit about fitting. They are trying to figure out how to best help consumers understand the benefits of figuring out their size, and whether a +4 and/or Align benefits that player. It's interesting, and while gearheads will go and put a bunch of grips on otherwise identical clubs and dig into it, the average golfer probably doesn't have access or an understanding of that. 

But in line with what others have said, I told my local Top 100 fitter about it and he's been exasperated and wishes they'd just stop it with all the colors and things and get grips to their shops. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bnperrone said:

I caddied for the president of GolfPride not terribly long ago (probably within the last year) and chatted theory a bit. Really nice guy. We didn't talk specifically about anything going away, but they're definitely trying to promote this idea of the twist-on grips for easy customer installs. I personally don't care for that idea if it changes the weight distribution of the grip, but that's just my opinion. We also talked a good bit about fitting. They are trying to figure out how to best help consumers understand the benefits of figuring out their size, and whether a +4 and/or Align benefits that player. It's interesting, and while gearheads will go and put a bunch of grips on otherwise identical clubs and dig into it, the average golfer probably doesn't have access or an understanding of that. 

But in line with what others have said, I told my local Top 100 fitter about it and he's been exasperated and wishes they'd just stop it with all the colors and things and get grips to their shops. 

Did you ask him if their planned obsolescence model was still in place?  Their grips get slick in one season by design, Lamkin you can get 3 to 4 times the use.  

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

2 minutes ago, dlygrisse said:

Did you ask him if their planned obsolescence model was still in place?  Their grips get slick in one season by design, Lamkin you can get 3 to 4 times the use.  

No, and I actually don't have that problem with MCC +4 grips. From time to time I brush them with dawn and a stiff brush or even the brash side of the brush and I get good life. I also don't get to play and practice as much as I'd like. 

What blows my mind is that anybody willingly chooses Tour Velvet or Zcords. Those grips are terrible from day 1 IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bnperrone said:

No, and I actually don't have that problem with MCC +4 grips. From time to time I brush them with dawn and a stiff brush or even the brash side of the brush and I get good life. I also don't get to play and practice as much as I'd like. 

What blows my mind is that anybody willingly chooses Tour Velvet or Zcords. Those grips are terrible from day 1 IMO.

They are some of the best cords out there and wick away a lot of moisture.  I've had TV cords on a set of MP20s for 2 seasons and they are like brand new, no issues whatsoever and no cleaning.  Z-Cords I don't understand either, they are like sandpaper, but there is a contingent out there that likes them I guess.  Like I said above, I think I am moving to something softer to make the game a bit more enjoyable and not have calloused and sore hands after, but I do see the merit in them.  

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

33 minutes ago, WristySwing said:

I've had TV cords on a set of MP20s for 2 seasons and they are like brand new, no issues whatsoever and no cleaning

The cords I can understand. The non-cord TV is what makes no sense to me. I've bought a handful of used clubs/shafts that came with stock TV non-cords and they're abysmal. 

1 hour ago, WristySwing said:

They are some of the best cords out there and wick away a lot of moisture.  I've had TV cords on a set of MP20s for 2 seasons and they are like brand new, no issues whatsoever and no cleaning.  Z-Cords I don't understand either, they are like sandpaper, but there is a contingent out there that likes them I guess.  Like I said above, I think I am moving to something softer to make the game a bit more enjoyable and not have calloused and sore hands after, but I do see the merit in them.  

Horses for courses.  I LOVE the Zcords.  They're rough as can be, which I love.  I had dozens of UTX cords in my garage but I quickly made the switch over to the Zcords as soon as I gave them a try (with a wrap of duct tape and then one of grip tape on the midsize) and they're my absolute favorite grips I've found so far.  

When I get the hankering to buy SOMETHING golf I'll just order another 10 of those to slowly build up my stockpile

Edited by J_Tizzle
  • Like 2
TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

3 hours ago, bnperrone said:

Consider you mind blown then....

I play Tour Velvet on my irons and Z grips on my driver. I don't sweat like a pig or squeeze the h+all out of them either. I change them out couple times a year.

4 cap and play 125-150 rds a year. 

• Like 4

Just now, Ghostwedge said:

Consider you mind blown then....

I play Tour Velvet on my irons and Z grips on my driver. I don't sweat like a pig or squeeze the h+all out of them either. I change them out couple times a year.

4 cap and play 125-150 rds a year. 

Yea I love my +4 tour velvets, once or twice a year I scrub em with windex on a terrycloth and the rubber feels like new again. Been hard to find them tho lately, got a few diff clubs in the bag and would like to match em all up again. 

• Like 2

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

2 hours ago, bnperrone said:

The cords I can understand. The non-cord TV is what makes no sense to me. I've bought a handful of used clubs/shafts that came with stock TV non-cords and they're abysmal. 

It's an iconic grip up there with the Tour Wrap and original leather grips.  You don't have to like it but its the basis for just about every stock rubber grip ever made since about 1990.  I can see why they keep it even for the sole fact that every OEM has it stock on their clubs just about.

• Like 1

The Weirdo 2024 Bag

49 minutes ago, kmay__ said:

Yea I love my +4 tour velvets, once or twice a year I scrub em with windex on a terrycloth and the rubber feels like new again. Been hard to find them tho lately, got a few diff clubs in the bag and would like to match em all up again. 

I've actually heard that windex is bad for the grips as it puts a film on them that can make them more slick.  Of course if you've never had problems I wouldn't worry about it, I've just read that soap and warm water is the best.  I do that and scrub with a hard bristle brush just to rough them up extra.

• Like 1
TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

5 minutes ago, J_Tizzle said:

I've actually heard that windex is bad for the grips as it puts a film on them that can make them more slick.  Of course if you've never had problems I wouldn't worry about it, I've just read that soap and warm water is the best.  I do that and scrub with a hard bristle brush just to rough them up extra.

Hmm, never experienced that personally. I heard that tip in a q&a I think with Pat from national custom works where he said that was the best way to clean them, and its worked well for me. But I'm only playing once a week really, maybe twice, and a long off season so I'm more likely to get longer life out of them anyways. 

Put some new irons in the bag recently, the Wilson v4s, traded my pops for my MP-4s, and he's got them gripped up with these lamkin "arthitic" grips, they've got barbell knurling on them! Haha honestly they have more aggressive knurling than my lat pulldown bar lol but there a midsize so I'm gonna roll with em for the time being. 

• Like 1

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Taylormade R-11 5-PW KBS Tour 90-S

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

It’s a UV thing not a dirt and grime thing.  All grips need cleaning on occasion, GP grips dry out from sun exposure, most others do not.  E.g. Lamkin. 

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

31 minutes ago, kmay__ said:

Hmm, never experienced that personally. I heard that tip in a q&a I think with Pat from national custom works where he said that was the best way to clean them, and its worked well for me. But I'm only playing once a week really, maybe twice, and a long off season so I'm more likely to get longer life out of them anyways. 

Put some new irons in the bag recently, the Wilson v4s, traded my pops for my MP-4s, and he's got them gripped up with these lamkin "arthitic" grips, they've got barbell knurling on them! Haha honestly they have more aggressive knurling than my lat pulldown bar lol but there a midsize so I'm gonna roll with em for the time being. 

I can totally appreciate that, if it works for you then keep doing it.  I also have insanely sweaty hands so I'm really sensitize to that stuff.

Zcords are awesome but they do get very slick rather quickly if not washed constantly. I prefer the Lamkin players cord because they just last longer. 

Cobra Aero LS 9 Fuji Evo IV 569 X

Honma TR21 15* VIZARD FP7 Stiff

Honma TR21 HY 18* VIZARD UT 7

Honma TR21 HY 21* VIZARD UT 8

Honma TR21X 5-11 VIZARD IBWF 100

HighToe MG3 54* VIZARD IB 120

HighToe MG3 58*/13 VIZARD IB 120

MackMade custom Slide MMT putter                         

4 hours ago, J_Tizzle said:

Horses for courses.  I LOVE the Zcords.  They're rough as can be, which I love.  I had dozens of UTX cords in my garage but I quickly made the switch over to the Zcords as soon as I gave them a try (with a wrap of duct tape and then one of grip tape on the midsize) and they're my absolute favorite grips I've found so far.  

When I get the hankering to buy SOMETHING golf I'll just order another 10 of those to slowly build up my stockpile

I am with you on the Z cord. Helped my sweaty hands hold onto the club finally. My favorite GP grip. 

• Like 1

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Recently bought some of the all rubber ZGrp Plus2s on the GP website, may be a contender. Good feel!  I ike the feel of the TV Aligns too. A lot of choices out there these days. 

Plus2.jpg.09f426af80f16bd86868e11ce59226d4.jpg

Ping G400 Max, Ping Tour 65R
Ping G425 5W w/Alta S

Ping i200 5-U w/SteelFiber fc90R

Ping Glide 3 54/12 & 58/6
Odyssey O-Works 330M Black