Broken Ventus TR

Redbird

On 6/26/2022 at 5:39 AM, mileslong said:

I’m amazed you got a reply.  I sent them a message several weeks ago, haven’t heard from them yet.  They’re just looking the other way like there’s no issue.  

Buy a new one from an authorized dealer, keep the invoice, and return it for store credit.  Then you have an invoice to work with 🙂  Maybe????? 

I had this happen to a Ping head and the local GG took the entire club, handed me a new one, and said they will deal with Ping.  Again, perhaps?  Go to the shop, or a shop in person?

And crap, I have a new Ventus Blue....

Edited by Wardman

Tour AD XC 6S Callaway Smoke 3D 9deg
Kali' White 70x shaft Ping 430LST 3W

Accra TZ6 M4 Hybrid Shaft Ping 430 3H
C-Taper L:ite S T150 4-Gap
SteelFiber PR Wedge Ping Glide 4.0 46, 50, 54 and 58 degree
Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 Slant Neck

On 6/27/2022 at 9:17 AM, MysteryV said:

I say this somewhat tongue in cheek - but if you want to get super technical here - he didn't say HE purchased them from Will.

Reading through the last several pages, I haven't noticed any accounts of folks who purchased from authorized dealers having trouble (except the implied post from @bladestriker).  It sounds like the one guy who purchased from Callaway had no issues getting a replacement.

Of all of the folks reporting breakages - who has purchased from an AD and not been able to get their shaft replaced?  What was the explanation as to why?

Yes I purchased straight from his site, two blues and two blacks.

Titleist TSr3 9º AD-DI 6x
Titleist TSr3 15º AD-DI 7x

Titleist TSi2 19º AD-DI 95x

T100 4-AW PX 6.0

SM10 56-12º D Modus 125 wedge

SM10 60-12º D Modus 125 wedge

Spider tour

"I still wear full spikes so people know when I show up to the course, I am there to ball out."-Bigmea

This thread is wild. Definitely hurting my perception of Fujikura

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

3 hours ago, RDT415 said:

Wow. That is definitely saying something right there.

No kidding. But good for them. Anyone care to guess whether Fujikura will now acknowledge they have an issue? 

They're nearing the point where they have one shot at saving their reputation. If not, we may be witnessing the fall of the game's premier shaft manufacturer. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Wardman said:

Buy a new one from an authorized dealer, keep the invoice, and return it for store credit.  Then you have an invoice to work with 🙂  Maybe????? 

I had this happen to a Ping head and the local GG took the entire club, handed me a new one, and said they will deal with Ping.  Again, perhaps?  Go to the shop, or a shop in person?

And crap, I have a new Ventus Blue....

This is how I've seen every broken club transaction go, even at smaller local owned shops.

1 hour ago, Danielson said:

This is how I've seen every broken club transaction go, even at smaller local owned shops.

You guys are going to make these OEMs require the shaft serial number to be put on the invoice.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

On 6/17/2022 at 12:42 PM, third-times-a-charm said:

...but but but...they dont do that!

I know theres lots of excuses for Fuji by end users and by Fuji themselves as to why they "cant" take individual warranties, but an epidemic of broken shafts like this desperately needs a special program or effort within Fuji's USA office to be setup - like weeks ago - to handle the issues directly.

Tbh I'm scared to own a Fuji shaft secondhand now, especially high dollar Ventus models. I'm sticking to GD and Mitsu until something changes.

I've broken shafts from about every OEM out there and almost all the big ones have the same clauses in their warranties:

1) Original owner

2) From an authorized dealer

Fuji, Aldila/Mitsu, Apache/MFS/Matrix, GDI.  They are all the same.  It's a risk you take with used gear or purchasing from non-authorized dealers.  

13 hours ago, bladestriker said:

Yes I purchased straight from his site, two blues and two blacks.

Did Will install for you?  It should be warrantied.  If you installed, likely not.  

1 hour ago, markheardjr said:

You guys are going to make these OEMs require the shaft serial number to be put on the invoice.

Honestly, they should.  It would allow them to backtrack through production lots to see when they do have a batch that fails AQL testing.  

• Like 2

TC Callaway Epic Sub Zero / Fujikura Ventus Black 7 X

TA Callaway Rogue ST Triple Diamond-T 14° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 X 

Callaway UW 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 X

Titleist TSi3 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10 TX

Callaway X Forged UT '21 25°/ Nippon Modus 125-X HS1x 

Srixon Z785 6-PW / Nippon Modus 125-X HS1x

50F Vokey SM8 Jet Black / Nippon Super Peening Blue X

54K Vokey Tour Design Raw / Nippon Super Peening Blue X

58K Vokey SM8 Jet Black / BGT ZNE 130

Piretti Potenza Cu plated 360g / BGT Stability Shaft  

Just now, PALS-SSA said:

Honestly, they should.  It would allow them to backtrack through production lots to see when they do have a batch that fails AQL testing.  

I'm pretty sure the broken shafts / caved in faces end up back at the OEM for quality control inspection. TaylorMade has always asked for the broken club to be mailed back in the box the new one comes in.

10 hours ago, SE Gamer said:

No kidding. But good for them. Anyone care to guess whether Fujikura will now acknowledge they have an issue? 

They're nearing the point where they have one shot at saving their reputation. If not, we may be witnessing the fall of the game's premier shaft manufacturer. 

You realize how much business Fuji does with OEMs right?  A huge piece of that is the "made for" Ventus stuff which is completely unaffected.  Unfortunately, the only people who care that a few exotic material shafts failed when not purchased from an authorized dealer are in this thread.  The scale of this issue just isn't a big enough issue to make a noticeable dent in their business.

Now if you had a 50% breakage rate with the made for Ventus shafts - THAT might be the downfall of Fuji as the OEMs would be dealing with replacement shafts AND heads - and their primary sales channel would be in jeopardy. 

In this case they likely figure that folks that buy second hand or gray market - don't materially impact their bottom line as they aren't adding incremental sales.

So no, I very much doubt we're witnessing the fall of Fuji. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OG Stealth Graphite Design Ventus Blue TR 60X

Ping 425 Max Hotmelted Tensei Orange 1k

Titleist T100, Project X LS 6.5

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55.13D / SM9 60.08M

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

2 hours ago, markheardjr said:

That would be great!  It would allow them to track the lots, know who owns the shaft, and me to register it if I feel like I should.  If I don't register, then my problem.  They could also track black market shafts.

Just saying - Ping has a serial number on every head.  I've broken a few, and gotten a replacement from years past.  Paid shipping, yes, but still got the club back.

Tour AD XC 6S Callaway Smoke 3D 9deg
Kali' White 70x shaft Ping 430LST 3W

Accra TZ6 M4 Hybrid Shaft Ping 430 3H
C-Taper L:ite S T150 4-Gap
SteelFiber PR Wedge Ping Glide 4.0 46, 50, 54 and 58 degree
Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 Slant Neck

18 minutes ago, MysteryV said:

You realize how much business Fuji does with OEMs right?  A huge piece of that is the "made for" Ventus stuff which is completely unaffected.  Unfortunately, the only people who care that a few exotic material shafts failed when not purchased from an authorized dealer are in this thread.  The scale of this issue just isn't a big enough issue to make a noticeable dent in their business.

Now if you had a 50% breakage rate with the made for Ventus shafts - THAT might be the downfall of Fuji as the OEMs would be dealing with replacement shafts AND heads - and their primary sales channel would be in jeopardy. 

In this case they likely figure that folks that buy second hand or gray market - don't materially impact their bottom line as they aren't adding incremental sales.

So no, I very much doubt we're witnessing the fall of Fuji. 

You learn the most from your failures. Fuji should embrace the failures and look positively on the opportunity to learn more. Perhaps analyzing the breakage will yield better manufacturing processes which can be applied in other products or locations along the shaft for the next generation.

We are still in the root cause, corrective action stage or the 5-why's if you will. Why did it break? is step one. Once they assess it is a product defect vs. user abuse they can move on. If it is product defect, they should ramp up the replacements and/or provide open and honest feedback. Then you ask why #2? Why did the break occur in that spot? If its a zone where two materials come together then was it the resin, stress on the fibers? a knick in the mandrel? Then you get into why#3. Say its the mandrel, why was it not inspected or caught? That may lead to why#4 which could be why the process which requires inspection was not followed by the tech. Then why#5, Why is the tech not trained?

My guess is this is a key area where you have multiple graphite weaves interlocking in a place you want the shaft to also flex/load and they underestimated the ultimate stress load the shaft could experience in that point. Which means beef up the section with stronger material. Multiple options to do that with lighter/stronger (exotic fix), or heavier/stronger (cheaper fix.) but need to hit the weight targets and keep the performance and feel.

• Like 3

Let’s say a shaft costs them $100 to build (probably a lot less), so replacing the 10+ shafts that have broken - on their flagship product line - would have cost them a couple thousand bucks.  Who’s the idiot working there that figured saving a couple thousand was worth the 7 pages of bad feedback on arguably one of the leading golf equipment forums.  Crazy…I hope the CEO gets wind of this…maybe @knudson81 can help?

Meanwhile, I am happy to recommend the Project X Smoke Black RDX as a terrific alternative…love mine and compares nicely to my Ventus Red… 

• Like 3

East Coast Bag:                                                  West Coast Bag:

G430MAX 10.5 GD Tour AD XC 5R                    G430MAX 10.5 GD Tour AD XC 5R

Gen6P 5W GD Tour AD XC 5R                           Gen6P 3W/7W GD Tour AD XC 5R

Gen6XF 4H/5H/6H GD Tour AD HY 65R.          Fli-Hi Hybrid 23*/26* GD Tour AD HY 65R

P770 '23 7-AW C-Taper LIte 105R                     P790 '23 6-AW C-Taper Lite 105R

MG4 55/59 TW C-Taper Lite 105R                    SM9 55S/59T C-Taper Lite 105R

SC Golo Heavy                                                    Kevin Burns 9304

Wow.. Not sure how I missed this thread till now. I will 100% admit to being a fuji homer and I am still going to at this point give them the benefit of having treated me very well. I have fuji products in all my woods. A TR in my driver a standard blue in my 3 wood a red 9x in 7, a blue HB in my fli hi and there putter shaft. I have had zero issues. 

But, this is 100% concerning.. 

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

I think my point has got lost in the 2nd hand purchase issue.  I bought mine from an authorized dealer as did my friend. My friends broke on impact while playing golf. I was there saw it happened. It broke is the same place all of these TRs have.  There was no abuse to the shaft, heck the guy has one of the smoothest swings I’ve seen, maybe tops out at 95-100.  I have 2 issues with this.  I will not use this shaft moving forward, 1. I am concerned if the shaft fails someone is going to get hurt.  We were lucky when my friends failed.  2. I can not in good faith sell the shaft to someone, knowing it could fail and knowing they will not get a replacement for it when it does.  This renders the shaft I paid big bucks for worthless.   Fuijkura needs to step up and let us that have supported them know there’s an issue and what it is.  Once they admit to the issue, find the route cause and a fix action, they should replace shafts to those like myself are not willing to risk damage to my club head or injury to my playing partners. Replacing the shaft now with another TR really accomplishes nothing.  I know shafts fail all the time, but tell me, how many of you have seen them all fail in the same spot.  There’s a chance if you own a TR yours will fail too.  

Edited by mileslong
  • Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10K UST Lin-Q Black 6f5
Ping G430 15* AV Raw Blue 75 TX

Titleist TSi2 21* AV Raw Blue 75TX
Ping 3 iCrossover Tour 2.0 S 
Ping Blueprint S 5-W UST Dart V 120 F5
Ping S159 50S 54S UST Daet V 120 F5

Vokey 58M MMT 125 TX
Lab Mezz 1 Accra 
Snell Prime

20 minutes ago, mileslong said:

I think my point has got lost in the 2nd hand purchase issue.  I bought mine from an authorized dealer as did my friend. My friends broke on impact while playing golf. I was there saw it happened. It broke is the same place all of these TRs have.  There was no abuse to the shaft, heck the guy has one of the smoothest swings I’ve seen, maybe tops out at 95-100.  I have 2 issues with this.  I will not use this shaft moving forward, 1. I am concerned if the shaft fails someone is going to get hurt.  We were lucky when my friends failed.  2. I can not in good faith sell the shaft to someone, knowing it could fail and knowing they will not get a replacement for it when it does.  This renders the shaft I paid big bucks for worthless.   Fuijkura needs to step up and let us that have supported them know there’s an issue and what it is.  Once they admit to the issue, find the route cause and a fix action, they should replace shafts to those like myself are not willing to risk damage to my club head or injury to my playing partners. Replacing the shaft now with another TR really accomplishes nothing.  I know shafts fail all the time, but tell me, how many of you have seen them all fail in the same spot.  There’s a chance if you own a TR yours will fail too.  

In a perfect world, I would love for them to come out here and say that they have isolated a manufacturing defect from x date-x date.  Check the label on your shaft if you're worried and bring it to an authorized distributor for replacement.  If it breaks as these others have, bring it in to an authorized distributor for replacement regardless of where you bought it.  

I luckily bought mine through an authorized retailer and got it pretty much right at launch.  I am loving it so far and will continue to love it until it possibly meets its unfortunate demise.  But, like you, I would be hesitant to pass this potential issue along to someone who wouldn't be able to get it taken care of should something happen. 

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

2 hours ago, mileslong said:

Did anyone get hurt?

Did your friends club heads get damaged?

Did Fuji replace the shaft (and compensate for any other damages)?

Is your big buck shaft worthless if it's still fully functional with no indication that it's going to break other than a handful of reported incidents?

I understand your points, and I'm pretty sure the golf gods are going to break my TR for playing devils advocate here, BUT some of this feels like a bit of a reach.

I've seen several shafts fail and not once was it dangerous to anyone else.

Your general point is completely valid in that there's obviously an issue here and Fuji has done a poor job of addressing it.  That said, of the 3 reports that I've seen of folks who've purchased from an Authorized Dealer - only one was a complete story (the guy who's shaft was replaced by the OEM).

Bladestriker hasn't shared much in terms of detail other than his parts were purchased from Will and subsequently broke.  The questions above are outstanding with regards to your issue.

• Thanks 1

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

No I’m fine

Club head took a a digger on the toe side not visible at address

Shaft has not yet been replaced, it looks like it will be, but replaced with what, another shaft with the same issue.  Does that fix the problem?

I witnessed a TR  fail, if someone happened to be standing where it went flying theres no question it could have resulted in injury.

Those few shaft have all failed n the same spot, unless Fuji can explain it otherwise(I really wish they would), there is a design flaw that exist in all TRs.  It’s not a one off kind of thing, prove me wrong.   

You can go head Mystery Man and play your TR, I’m not willing to risk it. 

• Confused 1

Vokey 58M MMT 125 TX
Lab Mezz 1 Accra 
Snell Prime

9 hours ago, mileslong said:

No I’m fine

Club head took a a digger on the toe side not visible at address

Shaft has not yet been replaced, it looks like it will be, but replaced with what, another shaft with the same issue.  Does that fix the problem?

I witnessed a TR  fail, if someone happened to be standing where it went flying theres no question it could have resulted in injury.

Those few shaft have all failed n the same spot, unless Fuji can explain it otherwise(I really wish they would), there is a design flaw that exist in all TRs.  It’s not a one off kind of thing, prove me wrong.   

You can go head Mystery Man and play your TR, I’m not willing to risk it. 

Why would anyone be standing in front of someone swinging a driver?

Fuji is replacing the broken part (I'd push for compensation for the scuffed up head as that's some BS which is on them).

Speculation around things like "design flaw that exists in all TRs" is just that - speculation or "anecdotal".  

"Prove me wrong" is the place where thin arguments go to die.

Again - I get it - I'd be frustrated if this happened to me - and would be absolutely livid it my driver head got scuffed anywhere - visible or not.  That said, boiling this thread down to facts rather than hyperbole might help identify the issue and get it resolved more effectively.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

Agreed with  everything you said.  By the way I was playing in a 4 some where myself and my friend were playing the blues. The other 2 guys in the group were playing the whites. They were off to the side of the t box waiting for us to hit.  The driver head made it to the white t box but luckily the opposite side from where they were standing.  You have no idea which direction the head is going to go when the shaft fails, we got lucky.

Edited by mileslong
  • Like 2

Vokey 58M MMT 125 TX
Lab Mezz 1 Accra 
Snell Prime

I just feel some issues you must look past original owner crap. A golf shaft should never snap in half outside of negligence. If you have a situation such as this one, then Fuji needs to own up.

I feel like customer service has been amazing in the golf industry. They have to be because it's so lucrative and competitive. That's why I'm so shocked at the Fuji silence.

On 6/29/2022 at 4:47 PM, markheardjr said:

I'm pretty sure the broken shafts / caved in faces end up back at the OEM for quality control inspection. TaylorMade has always asked for the broken club to be mailed back in the box the new one comes in.

in the U.K. TM always act via the dealer or, on one occasion, they asked for the dodgy clubs to be returned before considering a replacement. 

On 6/29/2022 at 8:24 PM, radiman said:

In a perfect world, I would love for them to come out here and say that they have isolated a manufacturing defect from x date-x date.  Check the label on your shaft if you're worried and bring it to an authorized distributor for replacement.  If it breaks as these others have, bring it in to an authorized distributor for replacement regardless of where you bought it.  

I luckily bought mine through an authorized retailer and got it pretty much right at launch.  I am loving it so far and will continue to love it until it possibly meets its unfortunate demise.  But, like you, I would be hesitant to pass this potential issue along to someone who wouldn't be able to get it taken care of should something happen. 

I’m not supporting Fuji herein but once a shaft goes out for play all sorts of issues can occur. I talked to an American Golf staff member once who didn’t like his driver so he placed some garbage into the head and obtained an FOC replacement. 

I’m a long-term user of graphite/ composite fly-rods. These are way lighter-built than golf shafts. Daiwa had to withdraw a complete Boron range. I’m always surprised how tough golf shafts are in comparison to fishing rods. 

So, Fuji,  bring in an independent tester, let him pick c 10 shafts at random, across the range, test to destruction, publish, on here, the test-results. Should you refuse, we can draw our own conclusions. 

1 hour ago, Pastit said:

I’m not supporting Fuji herein but once a shaft goes out for play all sorts of issues can occur. I talked to an American Golf staff member once who didn’t like his driver so he placed some garbage into the head and obtained an FOC replacement. 

I’m a long-term user of graphite/ composite fly-rods. These are way lighter-built than golf shafts. Daiwa had to withdraw a complete Boron range. I’m always surprised how tough golf shafts are in comparison to fishing rods. 

So, Fuji,  bring in an independent tester, let him pick c 10 shafts at random, across the range, test to destruction, publish, on here, the test-results. Should you refuse, we can draw our own conclusions. 

In the UK, you are more than welcome to purchase those 10 shafts for testing.  You can refuse though.

Making such a demand of a company in a forum is not adding anything constructive.  

Also, who is this “we”?  

Have Fun - Ready Golf - Repair Divots/Marks - FORE

1 hour ago, Puttersaurus Rex said:

In the UK, you are more than welcome to purchase those 10 shafts for testing.  You can refuse though.

Making such a demand of a company in a forum is not adding anything constructive.  

Also, who is this “we”?  

If you got out of bed on the wrong side, take it out on your cat and don’t bother me please. 

58 minutes ago, Pastit said:

If you got out of bed on the wrong side, take it out on your cat and don’t bother me please. 

I was making valid comments about your ridiculous demand to Fujikura.  Then you reply with a post about animal cruelty? 

I think you need to take a break from all of your "corporate customer service, quality assurance blah blah" comments that you have peppered in this thread.  Hear you loud and clear, and now it is getting annoying and aggressive.  Kudos to you!

Have Fun - Ready Golf - Repair Divots/Marks - FORE