Broken Ventus TR

Redbird

2 hours ago, ChipStrokes said:

that’s crappy. and you definitely have a beef. 

i just think the whole “someone could have been decapitated” hysterics in here are a bit much. 

did yours break where these TRs are breaking?

Higher up near the Ventus label. Didn’t actually snap thankfully for my basement wall, just cracked. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mileslong said:

Next time you’re playing ask one of your playing partners to throw their driver at you head, let me know how you make out, my goodness.

if the shaft breaks over when it’s thrown at me, should fujikura replace that one, too?

Ping G425 LST 9º | TPT 15LO

TM SIM2 4W 16.5º | Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8TX

TM SIM2 7W 21º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland RTX Raw 52/mid 56/mid 60/full | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

14 hours ago, MysteryV said:

I appreciate the sentiment, but disagree.  Everything fatigues with age.  Literally everything.  

Uniform bending stress under load is very different than repeated impact stress at a point.

Be interesting to see where the aircraft industry uses composites. 

9 hours ago, mileslong said:

When Fuji says, “sorry we won’t warranty your shaft, it’s not possible for a shaft to break there under normal use”, I’m calling it arrogant.  Our Fuji rep on here stated they would address the issue, they have not .  They have decided to look the other way.  This thread is a very small sample of the users out there.  There are still members here stumbling on to this thread, never hearing of issues with the TR shaft.  Some of these members are sharing similar responses from Fuji, “Sorry no way our shaft would break like that under normal use”.  Fuji like other manufacturers asks a high price for these shafts.  Is it to much to ask them to stand behind their product?  Unless Fuji comes clean and tells me they have identified the issue and created a fix I’m not interested in another TR.  What would that fix, getting another shaft with the same possible issue?  Like I’ve said in past post, I’m not interested in watching my driver head go flying down the T box, getting damaged along the way or worse hitting one of my playing partners.  Already watch that happen, was lucky no one got hurt.

I agree 100% - it’s clearly arrogance.

7 hours ago, MysteryV said:

Also see my previous post as we seem to be in complete agreement on this one.  There really haven't been any 100% verified cases here where the shaft was purchased from an authorized retailer and the situation was not remedied.  There was one iirc where the poster claimed his shaft was purchased from Will Peoples, but he never added the details necessary around what happened, what the response was, nor whether it was remedied.

There is certainly a vocal minority who has a legitimate beef where they purchased second hand and were told to kick rocks.  That sucks.  If it were Taylormade, they would offer you 30% off if the club you bought from an auction site broke (happened to my buddy).  Fuji not doing that sucks, but it's also not entirely unfair.  They've done the math and are willing to lose that business - so be it.

I doubt very much if TM would do this in the U.K. unless the gear was brand new. They might agree to examine the issue to determine failure reasons. 

23 hours ago, MysteryV said:

Also see my previous post as we seem to be in complete agreement on this one.  There really haven't been any 100% verified cases here where the shaft was purchased from an authorized retailer and the situation was not remedied.  There was one iirc where the poster claimed his shaft was purchased from Will Peoples, but he never added the details necessary around what happened, what the response was, nor whether it was remedied.

There is certainly a vocal minority who has a legitimate beef where they purchased second hand and were told to kick rocks.  That sucks.  If it were Taylormade, they would offer you 30% off if the club you bought from an auction site broke (happened to my buddy).  Fuji not doing that sucks, but it's also not entirely unfair.  They've done the math and are willing to lose that business - so be it.

Got mine through JD’s clubs and was told to kick rocks by them and Fuji. Fuji rep here messaged me through PM’s and said they would look into and get back with a response and haven’t heard a thing after follow up PM’s. 

50 minutes ago, Haber said:

Got mine through JD’s clubs and was told to kick rocks by them and Fuji. Fuji rep here messaged me through PM’s and said they would look into and get back with a response and haven’t heard a thing after follow up PM’s. 

Ugh - that's tough to hear as I buy pretty much everything from JD.

He IS an authorized dealer correct?  The other guy who mentioned he'd purchased a TR that broke bought through Will.  I wish he'd give some more detail.

I also saw that someone here (I have a guess as to who I believe it was) - was the first commenter on Fuji's Instagram posting with a "Buyer beware".  I enjoyed that.  😄

OG Stealth Graphite Design Ventus Blue TR 60X

Ping 425 Max Hotmelted Tensei Orange 1k

Titleist T100, Project X LS 6.5

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55.13D / SM9 60.08M

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

2 hours ago, MysteryV said:

He IS an authorized dealer correct?  The other guy who mentioned he'd purchased a TR that broke bought through Will.  I wish he'd give some more detail.

I also saw that someone here (I have a guess as to who I believe it was) - was the first commenter on Fuji's Instagram posting with a "Buyer beware".  I enjoyed that.  😄

Just proves there is more than one ignorant @$$ sharing the universe  

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

3 hours ago, MysteryV said:

Yes they’re authorized their personal rep said the break was impossible without some sort of foul play.

On 7/19/2022 at 3:45 AM, Pastit said:

Be interesting to see where the aircraft industry uses composites. 

I work in the aircraft industry on the leading edge of composite bonded aircraft.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

1 minute ago, markheardjr said:

I work in the aircraft industry on the leading edge of composite bonded aircraft.

Thanks, are composites used in load-bearing applications where material fatigue occurs upon ageing ? Thinking of the old Comet accident. Cheers

Just now, Pastit said:

Thanks, are composites used in load-bearing applications where material fatigue occurs upon ageing ? Thinking of the old Comet accident. Cheers

BOAC Flight 781 - Wikipedia Skip down to "original investigation." The culprit was metal fatigue along with some other issues that accelerated the failure.

There are fully bonded composite aircraft. Or aircraft with the majority of their parts being carbon fiber. The Boeing 787 is the first primarily composite airframe. Watch this: 

An easy way to see this is find a mechanical pencil or pen with the plastic tab for the pocket protector. Gently bend the tab and release. Nothing happens. Bend it just enough to fit a pocket 1000 times, nothing happens.  Overbend it and you may see some white start to show at the base where the plastic is fatiguing. Keep overbending it, it will get hot and eventually snap.

• Like 2

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

10 minutes ago, markheardjr said:

BOAC Flight 781 - Wikipedia Skip down to "original investigation." The culprit was metal fatigue along with some other issues that accelerated the failure.

There are fully bonded composite aircraft. Or aircraft with the majority of their parts being carbon fiber. The Boeing 787 is the first primarily composite airframe. Watch this: 

An easy way to see this is find a mechanical pencil or pen with the plastic tab for the pocket protector. Gently bend the tab and release. Nothing happens. Bend it just enough to fit a pocket 1000 times, nothing happens.  Overbend it and you may see some white start to show at the base where the plastic is fatiguing. Keep overbending it, it will get hot and eventually snap.

I saw this c 1970 when I custom fitted my Triumph Bonneville 650cc with an aluminium instrument plate which cracked with vibration after 100 miles. A duralium version lasted forever.

I’ve seen composite fishing rod failures from misuse and design failure. Probably a higher-stressed application than golf. Should Fuji’s design loads have erred here, then it is easy to see how these TR failures occur - probably at high swing speeds and amount of play. They should be open about this. Thanks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pastit said:

I saw this c 1970 when I custom fitted my Triumph Bonneville 650cc with an aluminium instrument plate which cracked with vibration after 100 miles. A duralium version lasted forever.

I’ve seen composite fishing rod failures from misuse and design failure. Probably a higher-stressed application than golf. Should Fuji’s design loads have erred here, then it is easy to see how these TR failures occur - probably at high swing speeds and amount of play. They should be open about this. Thanks.

It also completely depends on the ply orientation. I’m betting with the Ventus 6x, there are fewer plies oriented down the shaft, and more oriented around the shaft. Reduces torque, but makes it more prone to snapping

• Like 1

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

16 minutes ago, Fairways_and_Greens said:

It also completely depends on the ply orientation. I’m betting with the Ventus 6x, there are fewer plies oriented down the shaft, and more oriented around the shaft. Reduces torque, but makes it more prone to snapping

As I said way back, there’s much in common with industrial hose manufacture. When carbon fibre was introduced into rods and shafts, both types of gear were much heavier. I’ve still got R-flex driver shafts at 80 grams.

Lighter shafts and rods must come at the price of longevity. With rods, Hardy and Loop give the first purchaser a lifetime guarantee, so I recommend no abuse of these materials. Thanks.

Edited by Pastit

On 6/24/2022 at 12:03 PM, RobSquared said:

Even in Canada....hit my Stealth Plus driver head out to the center fielder yesterday. My Ventus Blue snapped pretty much clean at the adapter. I can't go back to an AD so don't know what to do at this point (not purchased from TM whose warranty process is incredible and customer-focused by the way having used it once). I did call Fuji and was told they aren't able to help me/consumers directly with any warranty claims (this before me finding this thread and seeing the few posts from the Fuji rep suggesting he can be contacted directly). Was anyone on here successful going that route bypassing an AD and contacting Fuji through this chat? Please help...SOS....all suggestions appreciated! Thanks!

Ventus.jpg

Same thing happened to me today.

Teeing off on #10, the head flew off of my Ping G425 Max today. The Ventus snapped below the level of the ferule (pictures attached). I bought the shaft used on E-Bay in April from Mike’s Golf Outlet https://www.mikesgolfoutlet.com/fujikura-ventus-blue-velocore-5-s-59g-stiff-44-5-driver-shaft-ping-g410-g425/

I called Fujikura and they said I could only return it through a retailer. I’m hoping Mike’s will accommodate/be able to return the shaft to Fujikura. Or they could replace it, because it’s very strange that the shaft would break where it did. 
Did Fujikura help you out?

2B9A4D21-68B0-4B49-A167-017ED22E2376.jpeg

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Honeybadger said:

Same thing happened to me today.

Teeing off on #10, the head flew off of my Ping G425 Max today. The Ventus snapped below the level of the ferule (pictures attached). I bought the shaft used on E-Bay in April from Mike’s Golf Outlet https://www.mikesgolfoutlet.com/fujikura-ventus-blue-velocore-5-s-59g-stiff-44-5-driver-shaft-ping-g410-g425/

I called Fujikura and they said I could only return it through a retailer. I’m hoping Mike’s will accommodate/be able to return the shaft to Fujikura. Or they could replace it, because it’s very strange that the shaft would break where it did. 
Did Fujikura help you out?

2B9A4D21-68B0-4B49-A167-017ED22E2376.jpeg

Thanks for posting. There’s 2 issues here I can think of:

Obviously the history of this shaft is unknown - slamming into ground etc. I’ve seen such breakages from clubs shipped by air when the heads are not removed e.g or woods with traditional hosels. If this is the case, no pun intended, you may have been had. Happens when folk ship in golf bags and not pukka cases or don’t remove heads as I say. 

Whilst not an expert technician, this breakage point looks an obvious one to me as it’s likely where the maximum sheer force is applied. Maybe some experts could confirm. Try and visualise a floor board extended over a joist and weight is applied. 

So, buy only new if using Fujikura. No probs with my four but lightly used nor abused. 

Edited by Pastit

Do people buy used cars, and expect the O.E.M. to fix it for them?  (Warrantee or recall situations excluded) 

Shaft companies are not going to warrantee all breakages.  There would be rampant fraud.  

I see golf equipment as a consumable.  Balls lost, wedges wear, and shafts break.  When people understand this, it is easy to see where the O.E.M.’s stance is.  If people are worried about breakages, find a different shaft.  

Edited by Puttersaurus Rex
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Have Fun - Ready Golf - Repair Divots/Marks - FORE

50 minutes ago, Puttersaurus Rex said:

Do people buy used cars, and expect the O.E.M. to fix it for them?  (Warrantee or recall situations excluded) 

Shaft companies are not going to warrantee all breakages.  There would be rampant fraud.  

I see golf equipment as a consumable.  Balls lost, wedges wear, and shafts break.  When people understand this, it is easy to see where the O.E.M.’s stance is.  If people are worried about breakages, find a different shaft.  

Then you need a visit to the optician, at least so far as EU law is concerned. Though suing Fujikura might be difficult depending upon their corporate structure. There’s a lawyer in Dublin who has made a fortune suing BMW in Germany for a non-recall matter: “ swirl-flap failures “. This led to an investigation into BMW I believe for other failures they mishandled. 

44 minutes ago, Pastit said:

Then you need a visit to the optician, at least so far as EU law is concerned. Though suing Fujikura might be difficult depending upon their corporate structure. There’s a lawyer in Dublin who has made a fortune suing BMW in Germany for a non-recall matter: “ swirl-flap failures “. This led to an investigation into BMW I believe for other failures they mishandled. 

Optician?  Not valid, bud.  I can see just fine that most of the people in this thread are not in Europe, and Fujikura is not a EU company. 

Feel free to start your own thread about, "Pastit's European thoughts and opinions with regards to golf manufacturers and manufacturing."  You obviously love sharing your corporate experiences.

Once again, your whataboutisms and insults are not appreciated.

1 minute ago, Puttersaurus Rex said:

Optician?  Not valid, bud.  I can see just fine that most of the people in this thread are not in Europe, and Fujikura is not a EU company. 

Feel free to start your own thread about, "Pastit's European thoughts and opinions with regards to golf manufacturers and manufacturing."  You obviously love sharing your corporate experiences.

Once again, your whataboutisms and insults are not appreciated.

You just don’t like facts chum. You raised the “ vision “ issue, I was just being light-hearted in view of the nonsense you propagate. 

2 hours ago, Puttersaurus Rex said:

I would say this is slightly different than a used car.  But if we want to go that route.  This shaft has been out for what, 6 months?  If you bought a slightly used car that was traded in 6 months after it's first purchase, it would still carry warranty.  In my opinion, Fujikura should step up in this situation.  I can't think of another shaft that seems to be having these kind of issues right out of the gate.  TPT had some problems I guess if I recall and am unsure how they handled it.  

At the very least, for as popular as the Ventus line is, I hope Fujikura is working frantically to get this figured out and fixed before they roll out the Red and Black TR.  

• Like 2

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

39 minutes ago, Pastit said:

You just don’t like facts chum. You raised the “ vision “ issue, I was just being light-hearted in view of the nonsense you propagate. 

I never said anything about not liking the non-applicable facts you are talking about.  They are just not valid.  You are the one that chose to respond to my post about thoughts on consumables.

Is the below an example of you being "light-hearted"?

On 7/1/2022 at 7:55 AM, Pastit said:

If you got out of bed on the wrong side, take it out on your cat and don’t bother me please. 

Just seeing this thread after making a thread about a curious comment a fitter (former master club builder) told me about the Ventus shafts. He told me Truespec would not pull a shaft from the loft sleeve to adjust the sst pure orientation because the Ventus shafts are easily damaged when pulled. This seems like Truespec might be aware of a Ventus shaft problem. Not sure if this is their official policy but something seems a little off here…. Might be that Velocor is more fragile than many graphite shafts out there 

• Like 1

TM Stealth+ 9* VENTUS TR BLUE 
TM Stealth 2+ 16.5* VENTUS BLACK 
SRIXON ZK MK II UTILITY 3 IRON NIPPON GOST 

SRIXON ZX MK II UTILITY 4 IRON DG TI 120

ARTISAN PW-5 DG TI 120

CLEVELAND RTX 6 ZIPCORE TOUR RACK 52*

ARTISAN CUSTUM 56* 60* DG TI 
TOUR RAT PROTO

7 hours ago, youngun87 said:

Just seeing this thread after making a thread about a curious comment a fitter (former master club builder) told me about the Ventus shafts. He told me Truespec would not pull a shaft from the loft sleeve to adjust the sst pure orientation because the Ventus shafts are easily damaged when pulled. This seems like Truespec might be aware of a Ventus shaft problem. Not sure if this is their official policy but something seems a little off here…. Might be that Velocor is more fragile than many graphite shafts out there 

For what it's worth i've pulled dozens of Ventus shafts in my shop and never had an issue.  In fact my Ventus Blue 8X has been in 4 different heads over the last 2 years.  I'm not saying anything about the breaks happening as I have zero clue about the circumstances but it's no problem to pull a ventus shaft.  

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

7 hours ago, youngun87 said:

my black 7TX has been in 3 different driver heads 

black 10X has been in two different fairways

go to a quality club builder and you’ll be fine 

• Like 1

Ping G425 LST 9º | TPT 15LO

TM SIM2 4W 16.5º | Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 8TX

TM SIM2 7W 21º | Fujikura Ventus Black 10X
Titleist T100 4-PW | Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland RTX Raw 52/mid 56/mid 60/full | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping Custom PLD Anser 2

20 hours ago, Pastit said:

Thanks for posting. There’s 2 issues here I can think of:

Obviously the history of this shaft is unknown - slamming into ground etc. I’ve seen such breakages from clubs shipped by air when the heads are not :

:

So, buy only new if using Fujikura. No probs with my four but lightly used nor abused. 

Problem with new is that Fujikura/AD won't honor if the shaft snaps in the middle - this is what other posters have reported here on this thread. You're still SOL if it snaps there through no fault of your own & you paid the extra premium for new...

I would NOT buy any new or used Fujilkuras at this time - this thread has scared me and I love and own an ATMOS, Ventus Blue and Black (from 2020)

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing