2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Titleist TSR2, TSR3 & TSR4 driver & TSR2, TSR2+ & TSR3 3 wood - 2022 Travelers

GolfWRX_Spotted

@radiman, that's the design of TSR3. Its meant to maximize performance for golfers with very consistent swings.  TSR2 is meant to give consistent speed/spin #s across the face, rather than concentrate the sweet spot in one location.

From Titleist website: "If you are a player with a consistent impact location, then Titleist TSR3 Driver is your ticket to maximum driving performance. The new Speed Ring Face Technology creates a focused point of pure speed that can be precision-tuned to match your point of contact."

I tested both. My initial results favored TSR2.   Both heads were producing impact just slightly heel-side, which is my tendency.  TSR2 was giving my ballspeed about 3MPH better than TSR3.

I went back to GG with my gamer shaft, and had them put a heavier (+6) weight to replicate my current (D7) swingweight.  When I put the TSR3 weight in H1, it came alive. 

Edited by hagimihale

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

1 hour ago, radiman said:

What? Having spin spike when you miss doesn't seem like a design feature most OEMs would opt for lol.  I will also add that when I tested the TSR2 vs the TSR3, the 2 was producing some absolutely awful spin numbers for me.  Pretty much the opposite of what you're describing.

Last night I did a head-to-head, same shaft, test comparing my Rogue ST LS and TSR3.

I could not spin the LS above 2,700 rpms. I'm talking intentional low heal strikes, horrendous shots across the face, achieving 3,000 rpm of spin was impossible. In contrast, I could spin the TSR 3,000+ at will. Low heal strikes would jump to mid/high 3,000s...basically fairway wood spin. These drivers are the polar opposite of each other. 

As I've said before, I've never spun a driver in the 3,000 range ever. This isn't a bad thing, it just doesn't work for my game. Also, I'm not a tour pro. If I could dime it consistently, no doubt spin would normalize. Also, I realize my results contradict what many folks have experienced. All I know is I have my own Foresight launch monitor, I hit different heads, used the same shaft, and the TSR3 spins more for my game. 

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, Warrick said:

Anyone playing the TSR4 with success at a lower swing speed (105ish)?

I can’t stand the shape and size of most modern heads, still stuck on a 2016 Callaway GBB.

Don’t be afraid to try it. I hit it way better than the tsr2 and I’m just a little faster than that 

1 hour ago, radiman said:

What? Having spin spike when you miss doesn't seem like a design feature most OEMs would opt for lol.  I will also add that when I tested the TSR2 vs the TSR3, the 2 was producing some absolutely awful spin numbers for me.  Pretty much the opposite of what you're describing.

Agree with you. I found the tsr 3 to be very consistent in ball speed and spin in the fitting and I don’t exactly live in the center. 
The bad ones I hit it jumped up a few hundred but I expected it. 
the tsr2 had higher spin all around. 

I would expect every driver is going to spin more on low strikes. Retention of ball speed is what separates this lineup from some of the others I’ve tested. 
but I get the real test this weekend because my new driver is coming in Thursday 

2 hours ago, hagimihale said:

That's what the TSR3 is supposed to do.  If you hit the same spot regularly, you can adjust the weight to move the sweet spot closer to that impact point, to maximize ball speed and lessen spin if that spot is off-center. But when you miss, the spin #s will jump in comparison to the TSR2.  

The spin won't jump anything significantly...no more than missing the center altogether. And ballspeed isn't really impacted much either. That tsr3 fwy weight track is really more for feel and delivery. Heel/toe CoG movement on a 175cc head will have minimal affect. The only real CoG movement affect is front/back (because it affects shaft deflection) and high/low. High/low isn't really an option since it would take about 15g to start to see changes, and who's going to stick that much weight on the top of the head to help increase spin? 

Believe me, I've thought about doing that to a sim and sim2 ti due to their low spin for me.

2 hours ago, Warrick said:

Are heavier weights available for the TSR4?

Yes they are, I got mine built with +4 heavier weights to get swingweight right at 45in

• Thanks 1

Corba Aerojet LS 9 Mitsubishi Chemical Kai'li 60X 
Taylormade Stealth Plus 15 Mitsubishi Chemical Kai'li 70X

Taylormade Stealth2  3 Rescue 19 Fujikura Ventus Blue 9X Velocore
Titleist T200 4 DGTI X100
T100S 5-PW DGTI X100
SM9 50F DGTI, SM9 54D DGTI, SM7 60D DGTI

EVNROLL EV5.1B - Mid Slant Hosel 34 

Scotty Cameron 2012 Select GoLo 34

L.A.B. DF3 Dodger Blue 35/70 Heavy (On its way!!)

9 minutes ago, jasman29 said:

Yes they are, I got mine built with +4 heavier weights to get swingweight right at 45in

So, you got a 13/5 as opposed to 11/3?

Thanks 

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

14 hours ago, getitdaily said:

The spin won't jump anything significantly...no more than missing the center altogether. And ballspeed isn't really impacted much either. That tsr3 fwy weight track is really more for feel and delivery. Heel/toe CoG movement on a 175cc head will have minimal affect. The only real CoG movement affect is front/back (because it affects shaft deflection) and high/low. High/low isn't really an option since it would take about 15g to start to see changes, and who's going to stick that much weight on the top of the head to help increase spin? 

Just to clarify, my comments were about the driver, not the fairway.  I have not hit the fairways, so can't comment.

Regarding the driver, my results suggested otherwise.  But no reason to get into a debate.  If you are interested, hit the 3.  And the 2.  Move the weights around, and see for yourself...

Edited by hagimihale

7 minutes ago, hagimihale said:

Just to clarify, my comments were about the driver, not the fairway.  I have not hit the fairways, so can't comment.

Regarding the driver, my results suggested otherwise.  But no reason to get into a debate.  If you are interested, hit the 3.  And the 2.  Move the weights around, and see for yourself...

Yeah, with driver there will be changes. Driver has the volume to have substantial gearing effect.

14 hours ago, Unteachable said:

Don’t be afraid to try it. I hit it way better than the tsr2 and I’m just a little faster than that 

Agree with you. I found the tsr 3 to be very consistent in ball speed and spin in the fitting and I don’t exactly live in the center. 
The bad ones I hit it jumped up a few hundred but I expected it. 
the tsr2 had higher spin all around. 

I would expect every driver is going to spin more on low strikes. Retention of ball speed is what separates this lineup from some of the others I’ve tested. 
but I get the real test this weekend because my new driver is coming in Thursday 

I mean, I completely believe that the differences in the face could be at play between the models.  For instance.  I was averaging almost 3k spin with the TSR2 and the TSR4 (which is a big shocker for me but assume I must not have been hitting dead center).  When I hit the TSR3 spin average was 2200.  

I guess it just goes to show that there is a definite benefit to going in and trying these for yourself before pulling the trigger because results seem to vary from player to player and head to head.  I think they definitely have their bases covered between the 3 models though.  Most should be able to find something that works for them.

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

The Ho in me couldn't stand it any longer, Snagged a TSr3 9 degree head off the BST to test against my gamer (Max LS)... 

Only hit a few balls with it yesterday before it got dark but Initial thoughts are that it looks phenomenal behind the ball & sounds/feels just as great..

Will Be tough to beat out the MAX LS but I'm hopeful as it looks so damn good 😂

12 minutes ago, Jace_bkr said:

The Ho in me couldn't stand it any longer, Snagged a TSr3 9 degree head off the BST to test against my gamer (Max LS)... 

Only hit a few balls with it yesterday before it got dark but Initial thoughts are that it looks phenomenal behind the ball & sounds/feels just as great..

Will Be tough to beat out the MAX LS but I'm hopeful as it looks so damn good 😂

I already know that I'll succumb to the hoing on the tsr3 3w after TM releases their next cycle. If TM doesn't produce something stellar (adjustable hosel on the max fairway and a 57-58 lie) then I'll grab a tsr3 to get on course with. 

Best fairway I've seen in a really long time.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, getitdaily said:

I already know that I'll succumb to the hoing on the tsr3 3w after TM releases their next cycle. If TM doesn't produce something stellar (adjustable hosel on the max fairway and a 57-58 lie) then I'll grab a tsr3 to get on course with. 

Best fairway I've seen in a really long time.

Wait now.  I can't keep up with your hoing haha.  You're ready to move on from the Rogue LS?

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

5 minutes ago, radiman said:

Wait now.  I can't keep up with your hoing haha.  You're ready to move on from the Rogue LS?

No. It's still in the bag. I'm having a hard time getting the shaft right with it. Have my old speeder evo2 in it now (haven't hit it on course or range yet). But tsr3 was giving very similar #s and I just really like the look of it. Won't get rid of the Rogue unless the tsr3 beats it on course. If the speeder doesn't work then I'm going to try a kai'li blue 80x. 

On a other note, since it was cheap, I bought a m4 3w and am.putting my ventus black in it. It's a 3w I've danced around trying since it came out...so I'm going to try it...lol

1 minute ago, getitdaily said:

No. It's still in the bag. I'm having a hard time getting the shaft right with it. Have my old speeder evo2 in it now (haven't hit it on course or range yet). But tsr3 was giving very similar #s and I just really like the look of it. Won't get rid of the Rogue unless the tsr3 beats it on course. If the speeder doesn't work then I'm going to try a kai'li blue 80x. 

On a other note, since it was cheap, I bought a m4 3w and am.putting my ventus black in it. It's a 3w I've danced around trying since it came out...so I'm going to try it...lol

Love it!  I am still kicking around the idea of buying a TM tour head so I can find something with a flatter lie angle and open face.  It's going to be a long winter so who knows what 3w I will have when once we come out of it haha.  For now, it's a Titleist.  Could be a TM.  Could be a different Titleist.  Just depends on how stir crazy I get. 

• Haha 1

Taylormade 2024 TP5X

2 minutes ago, radiman said:

Love it!  I am still kicking around the idea of buying a TM tour head so I can find something with a flatter lie angle and open face.  It's going to be a long winter so who knows what 3w I will have when once we come out of it haha.  For now, it's a Titleist.  Could be a TM.  Could be a different Titleist.  Just depends on how stir crazy I get. 

I've hit all the tsr fwys multiple times. The tsr3 didn't wow me but it didn't slack either. We'll see. This ventus black/m4 combo could be the bee's knees. It may have about 4rpm of side spin...on a bad strike 

Super intersting video...I've been debating on moving from a 9 degree TSR4 which is set to 8.25 to an 8 degree TSR3 head that I can play neutral and this video comes up. 

• Like 1

SIM2 8 degree - Ventus Black 7x

SIM2 3 wood - Ventus Black 8x

Srixon ZX Utility 2 Iron - Ventus Black 10TX

Mizuno MP-20 MMC 4-PW - Project X 6.5

Mizuno T20 50/55/60 - Project X 6.5

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1x Left Dash

Just caved and got the tsr3 13.5 with Kai’li White 70tx.  It’s insanely good.  I previously gamed the OG Sim 14* with a speeder TR 70x and I don’t think it would ever leave the bag.  The TSr3 is much more consistent in flight and spin than the sim.  The ball speeds on slight miss hits were also much less penalized.  Though it’s not longer on average than the sim, I find much more playable with the shallow face and adjustability. 

• Like 1

Stealth Plus 7.5* Accra TZ5 M5 65

Sim Ti 14* Fuji Speeder TR 757x

Titleist Tsr2 18* Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 8x

Mizuno 223 4-PW PX  LS 6.5

SM9 50/12F, 54/10S, 60/12D PX Wedge 6.5

Bettinardi Queen B 10 Blackout Stability Tour

On 10/24/2022 at 10:48 PM, third-times-a-charm said:

Everything is called a “real deal shaft” nowadays because the companies got smart and released the same shaft line that was made in quantity for a specific club maker into retail making it look like it’s a retail shaft.

Im not saying it’s bad or cheap it’s just more of a ‘don’t lie to me’ scenario. The shafts are being made with huge quantity orders for these club makers in mind and THEN released as a retail part for whatever price.

It’s listed on the MRC website.  A made for shaft isn’t. 

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX

Mizuno STZ Max 12.0 Project X Hzrdus Black RDX 70 6.5

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Cobra Snakebite 2023 Versatile 58 bent to 59 Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

1 minute ago, Lemonde said:

It’s listed on the MRC website.  A made for shaft isn’t. 

Yes it is, nowadays. Hence the charade.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

Well that’s a new development. I guess when you look at it closely and there’s no boron in the tip that’s the clue? 

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX

Mizuno STZ Max 12.0 Project X Hzrdus Black RDX 70 6.5

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Cobra Snakebite 2023 Versatile 58 bent to 59 Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

4 minutes ago, Lemonde said:

Well that’s a new development. I guess when you look at it closely and there’s no boron in the tip that’s the clue? 

The white and orange both have pro in the name and the black does not. They all have 1k fibers in the handle but MRC doesn’t specify how much is in each. XLINK resin tech is used throughout the full shaft in the white and orange and only in the tip of the black. Also the pro white uses boron in the top and the pro orange uses MR70 in the tip while the black uses nothing. The black is also 40T fiber throughout and the white and orange pro use 46T. 

• Like 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / CHICAGOTC

9 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

The white and orange both have pro in the name and the black does not. They all have 1k fibers in the handle but MRC doesn’t specify how much is in each. XLINK resin tech is used throughout the full shaft in the white and orange and only in the tip of the black. Also the pro white uses boron in the top and the pro orange uses MR70 in the tip while the black uses nothing. The black is also 40T fiber throughout and the white and orange pro use 46T. 

MCA said it one of their stoutest profiles and is basically a white with less feel because of not having the extra materials. From my understand it’s achieving a certain feel and not a made for.

4 hours ago, Gtyler14 said:

MCA said it one of their stoutest profiles and is basically a white with less feel because of not having the extra materials. From my understand it’s achieving a certain feel and not a made for.

Theres really no such thing as a made for anymore. The term is just still used when a shaft - behind the scenes - was made with a clubhead OEMs contract in mind, thats all. Its a separation of materials and they all 'work just fine'.

I mentioned this a few posts earlier by my intent on arguing these semantics is not to say a shaft doesnt perform. It's "dont piss on me and tell me it's raining".

With True Temper is was the Evenflow line and then the Riptide line and then the Smoke iM10 line. All Callaway contracts - Gee whiz, the riptide was orange and so was the Mavrik colors. The iM10 was green and so was the Epic colors. Imagine that!. 

With Fujikura it was Taylormade who wanted the Ventus name without the expensive tech in it so they made the initial run of Ventus shafts without Velocore for a huge Taylormade conract in the SIM line - which then was released to other clubmakers as stock options in 2021. When a shaft like the Tensei Black comes out and instantly goes into a new OEM head you can read between the lines easily. And the TSr line is all black and so is the Tensei Black - and there has never been a 'black' Tensei ever before. Prob a coincidence. 😂

MRC needed an equally "cheap" competitor to the HZRDUS Black which since it's inception has been the defacto low/low 'stock shaft' that people chose from virtually all clubmakers. It's also a "$250 shaft".

No shaft maker one is creating a $350 upcharge shaft and out of the goodness of their hearts providing it to a clubmaker for $55 each so they can use it for their retail rack clubs as stock. 

Edited by third-times-a-charm
  • Like 2

On 10/25/2022 at 4:46 PM, Warrick said:

So, you got a 13/5 as opposed to 11/3?

Thanks 

Correct, mine came with 13/5 weight configuration

• Thanks 1

Corba Aerojet LS 9 Mitsubishi Chemical Kai'li 60X 
Taylormade Stealth Plus 15 Mitsubishi Chemical Kai'li 70X

Taylormade Stealth2  3 Rescue 19 Fujikura Ventus Blue 9X Velocore
Titleist T200 4 DGTI X100
T100S 5-PW DGTI X100
SM9 50F DGTI, SM9 54D DGTI, SM7 60D DGTI

EVNROLL EV5.1B - Mid Slant Hosel 34 

Scotty Cameron 2012 Select GoLo 34

L.A.B. DF3 Dodger Blue 35/70 Heavy (On its way!!)

On 10/25/2022 at 4:02 PM, Warrick said:

Are heavier weights available for the TSR4?

Yes, there are some people selling the official Titleist weights for TSR but they are not plentiful. Eventually the after-market companies will be offering them online and there will be boatloads of them for cheap. But that hasn't happened yet.

By the way, I just figured out that the weights for the TSR2 fairway woods are the same as for the TSR2 and TSR4 drivers, meaning they are interchangeable parts, not that they are necessarily the same weight.

Edited by uglande
  • Thanks 1

Titleist TSR3 08.00 – Ventus Red 065x

Titleist TSR2 14.50 – Tour AD DI 075x

Titleist TSR2 17.00 – Tour AD DI 085x

Titleist TSR2 21.00 – Tour AD DI 095x

Titleist TSR2 25.00 – Tour AD DI 105x

Titleist T100 6i 7i 8i 9i – Tour X100

Titleist SM09 46 50 54 60 – Tour S400

Titleist Pro V1 56 – White Hot OG5 CS

On 10/25/2022 at 11:25 AM, Warrick said:

Anyone playing the TSR4 with success at a lower swing speed (105ish)?

I can’t stand the shape and size of most modern heads, still stuck on a 2016 Callaway GBB.

I fluctuate 106-109 and play TSR4. I have found more center strikes than I ever have with it as well. I love the smaller head shape and also feel like I can feel where the club is much better than a large shape head. I do not have numbers to back it up, but eye test vs TSR3, TSR4 was giving me better results and felt much better. Also with the swappable weights, I feel as though I have 2 drivers in 1 now as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cobra Aerojet LS 9°  |  Graphite Design Tour AD VF 5x
TaylorMade Sim Ti 15°  | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7x

Cobra King Forged Tec Black 3 Iron  |  Graphite Design Tour AD DI 105x

Cobra King Forged Tec Black 4 Iron  |  Tour Issue X100 Onyx
**IRON SET UNDER CONSTRUCTION** 
Titleist SM8 50° |  Tour Issue X100 Onyx

Titleist SM8 55°, 60°  |  Mitsubishi MMT Scoring Wedge 125 TX
Scotty Cameron Custom Jet Set NP2  |  Mitsubishi MMT Putter Concept
TaylorMade  TP5 Pix

7 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

Theres really no such thing as a made for anymore. The term is just still used when a shaft - behind the scenes - was made with a clubhead OEMs contract in mind, thats all. Its a separation of materials and they all 'work just fine'.

With True Temper is was the Evenflow line and then the Riptide line and then the Smoke iM10 line. All Callaway contracts - Gee whiz, the riptide was orange and so was the Mavrik colors. The iM10 was green and so was the Epic colors. Imagine that!. 

Being on this site =  aftermarket shafts rule and OEM shafts suck.  LMAO.  I went to a fitting a few years ago, and the tech put a Riptide in my hands.  I decided that I didnt like it before I ever hit it.  And then watched it give me the best dispersion of any shaft I hit that day. Go figure.

Oh, and despite posting elsewhere a few weeks ago that I had no intention of upgrading from the TSi3....  I now have a TSR3 en route.  Had some credit at Dicks, and got a steal on an upgrade to the VA Drago.  

Hi, my name is Chris, and I'm a ho...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

So my new TSR 2 driver and TSR 3 18 degree 5 wood landed today whilst the TSR 2+ is on back order. Will take them out Saturday with the OEM supplied HZRDUS Black 4G shafts whilst waiting for the new custom fit BTG and Accra shafts to arrive.

Very excited to hit the course this weekend   😍

Edited by Gareth
Typo
  • Like 1
Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke Max 10.5 Driver/MCA Vanquish 4 Stiff
Titleist TSR2+ 13.0 degree 3 wood/MCA Tensei Pro White Boron 70 Stiff
Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 15.0 degree (@ 17) 3 wood/MCA Tensei Pro White Boron 70 Stiff
Ping G430 22.0 degree 4 hybrid/MCA Kai’Li White HY 80 Stiff
Taylormade P790 2021 5-PW irons/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)

Taylormade MG3 50 degree SB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)

Taylormade MG3 54 degree HB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)
Taylormade MG3 58 degree LB/Nippon Modus Tour 3 120 Stiff (soft-stepped)
Odyssey White Hot OG 7 Bird 34” putter/Stroke Lab double bend shaft
Taylormade TP5x/Titleist Pro V1x ball

Vessel/Cobra Tour bag 2022