How Many Of You Guys Are Crazy Like Me And Walk When It's Almost 100 Degrees?

Played often in Hong Kong at the public course on Kau Sai Chao island.  3 courses there: North is walk only, South is optional with free buggy, and East is free buggy only.

On the very hilly Gary Player North course, the management has wisely installed a Defibrillator just up the steep incline to the 14th tee box.  More than one golfer has pushed the trolley up the hill, on a  hot and v humid day, and taken a big dive. 

An oxygen bottle there would help too.  But will add that the operators of the golf do provide unlimited free bottled water on alternate tee boxes.  Another factoid: to drive the golf buggy in HK must show Auto Driving LIcense, from any country.

Expect to pay US$120+ for any of those courses. The East Course is said to be only 1 of 2 in Asia which offers a view of the sea from every hole. Quite scenic, many blind shots.

I walk out in the SC humidity where heat index is definitely over 100. I just try to find some shade from time to time. I prefer walking for my rounds and will always walk unless there is no option. 

• Like 1

Driver:  TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Fairway: TS2 16.5 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Hybrid:  Sim2 Tensei Orange 90TX Or Srixon ZX 2 ADDI 105X

Irons:Black T200 4-5 T100S 6-AW MMT 125TX

Wedges: MG4 54 MMT 125TX and Vokey SM9 58.04T MMT 125TX

Putter: Lajosi DD201

Pro V1X Left Dash

40 minutes ago, mshills said:

This is a really interesting sample, and seems to align with what I see anecdotally out there.  It's more likely that players over 50, over 60, or over 70 walk.

I wonder how much is cultural and how much is paying more attention to health as you reach those round numbers in age.

I am 46 and am considered kind of weird -- lots of guys I play with my age or younger have no interest at all in walking and do not think it is possible for me to keep pace.  I don't always prove them wrong, but I often do.

I was going to say it's more cultural but golf carts have been used since the 30s. In the beginning they were used for people with a disability and didn't get popular until the 50s. 
 In my case, I drove a forklift for 42 years. I was mostly sitting all day plus, driving over rough concrete floors eventually took it's toll on my back in the form of 5 degenerated discs, 1 desecrated disc, and a little bit of stenosis. For me, walking while playing golf serves 2 purposes. It warms up the muscles and ligaments in my back and gets my blood pumping through my whole body. 

54 minutes ago, mshills said:

This is a really interesting sample, and seems to align with what I see anecdotally out there.  It's more likely that players over 50, over 60, or over 70 walk.

I wonder how much is cultural and how much is paying more attention to health as you reach those round numbers in age.

I am 46 and am considered kind of weird -- lots of guys I play with my age or younger have no interest at all in walking and do not think it is possible for me to keep pace.  I don't always prove them wrong, but I often do.

delete

Edited by rd1959

13 hours ago, rd1959 said:

The course I play all the fairways are tree lined so there's plenty of shade. That "dry heat" ya'll have out west is more difficult than the humidity here in NC. I've lived in the south all my life so I'm used to instant sweat and fogged up glasses when I walk outside. It's part of the reason Southerners speak slower and use a lot of contracted words... It's just too hot to say the complete words. 😁

... We-yell RD ya'll juss preaching to tha qui'yer. 🤪  I grew up in NC and went to ECU. I was a DJ on the radio and spent 3 years in GA so I am very familiar with the humidity in the south. I will trade 110* with low humidity over the high humidity and 90* back home. He!! I'll take 115* and dry over 95* and humid! 

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

5 minutes ago, bluedot said:

Money.

How so? Charge a single rate whether one walks or rides. Personally, I don't like paying for an electric cart that I don't use, but I'd rather do that than have to ride when I could walk with or without a pushcart. 

• Thanks 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I’m 62, 270+ lbs, live in Florida and walk 3 -4 rounds a week.  Went to a push cart with umbrella a few years back for those July - Sept Florida days.  I does not get into the 100’s here, but it is humid.  I lived out west and 105 was easier to tolerate than 95 / humid in FL.  Key for me other than the umbrella is pre-hydrating.   It is tough to drink enough water.  I go through between 64 & 76 oz in the Summer.  Even then, I will weigh 5-7 lbs less at the finish of the round just from sweating.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

How so? Charge a single rate whether one walks or rides. Personally, I don't like paying for an electric cart that I don't use, but I'd rather do that than have to ride when I could walk with or without a pushcart. 

I’m just telling you why courses have the policy.  They usually say it’s about pace of play when the course is crowded, which is a smokescreen because that’s when it matters the least; play is slow anyway.  But cart revenue is essential to a lot of courses, and they do what they have to do to generate income.

Okay I don't walk in this heat for sure. He!! I don't even walk when the weather is perfect.

But living in Houston we have had countless days this summer of 100* temps with 105* and up feel like temps due to the very high humidity.

I'm 65 years old play a minimum of 36 holes a day, no matter how hot it is.

Edited by SEP1006

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
PUTTERS - LAB MEZZ MAX Blue Head w/White Accra Shaft

LAB MEZZ MAX Red Head w/Black Accra Shaft
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

Hell No!!  I stand and walk enough for my job, I'm sure not gonna do it when it's hot and humid. I like to walk when it's between 50 and 75. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR 2  9°

Taylormade V-Steel 3 wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

On 8/2/2022 at 9:20 PM, drumdude96 said:

We've certainly had some really hot days this summer, but I haven't let the heat keep me from walking 18 almost every chance I get.  I'll even get out and walk a round when it's 95 degrees or hotter.  I do use a push cart and I have an umbrella attached to give me shade, and of course I drink LOTS of water, but at 44 years old I'm still walking the course when it's absolutely sweltering outside.  Who among us is also a true warrior? 🤣  :crazy2:

P.S.  All the twenty and thirty-somethings I see riding carts all the time are weenies! 😆

I've walked in Kuwait in some 120+ degrees and so long as I have an umbrella to keep the sun off of me I've been alright. I am not the biggest fan of walking when it is humid because I just become a soaking wet mess because no evaporation is happening.  In Kuwait you could just pour water on yourself and 20 mins later you would be bone dry because it is so dry there and so you could actually cool yourself but hot and muggy is pretty uncomfortable whether walking or riding.   

Maryland is not the deep South by any means, but the July-August stretch rarely dips below 90 and often exceeds 100 degrees with high humidity. I always walk but several years ago I learned that carry bag straps in those conditions give my entire torso heat rash. It's ugly, painful, and annoying as hell. 

I still walk but when it's hot I eat the fee and take on of my club's pushcarts. We're one of the oddballs that doesn't let members bring or use their own so most of us just carry. A dedicated wet towel for neck and face is enough to beat the heat, with lots of powdered Pedialyte in the bag for my water bottle. 

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

This summer has been pretty mild here in SoCal but I have walked with my clicgear on numerous 100 degree days years prior.  I will agree, the dry heat is WAY easier to tolerate than the hot and humid weather the east coast gets, being hot and sweaty is one thing but feeling like you can't breathe from the humidity is a completely different game.  

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* HZRDUS blue PVD 60s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Nike VFP 4i KBS CTL 115

Ping i230 5-P  KBS CTL 115

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless custom 34"

70 years old and typically walk and carry. This summer I've taken a cart when the temperature is over 90 degrees. I find that walking (whether carrying or using push cart) wears me down in that heat and the last 3 or 4 holes are just a real drudge - hate to let a decent round go bad due to the last few holes.

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

I love walking and carrying my golf bag in the heat.  My back finally feels loose in that weather so it's awesome.  I do drink a lot of water and even more than normal when I'm playing.  

A lot of my rounds are early morning rounds so it's usually not too bad anyway, but I love those warm afternoon rounds.

• Like 2

I prefer walking, but I've walked less this summer than I normally do during the summer.  If I don't tee off by 8:30 am to walk, I'm going to ride.  This summer in the DFW area has been pretty miserable when it comes to the heat, so I've been in a cart more than I would like to.  The heat index being 110*+ for highs isn't something I want to mess with when it comes to chancing heat stroke.  The rounds that I have walked have been with a pushcart and my umbrella for shade, but I was done by 12-12:30 for those rounds.  

WITB
Driver: 10.5* Stealth 2 Plus set 1 click lower upright setting- Accra FX 2.0 270 M4 

Fairways & Hybrids: TM Stealth2 Plus 5 wood turned down to 17* (AV Raw White 75s); 21* Callaway UW (Tour AD TP 8s); 
Irons: Srixon MKII ZX5 4 Iron (Recoil Utility 110 F4), 5-PW Srixon ZX7 (DG AMT White s300)
Wedges: Tour Satin Cleveland RTX6 48* Mid bent to 49* and 52* bent to 54*;  RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 56* Mid bent to 58* (All wedges with DGTI s400 shafts)

Putter: Toulon Las Vegas h4.5 or Kingston KP1 Carbon Oil Can (both with Stability Tour Black shafts)

On 8/2/2022 at 3:10 PM, Ferguson said:

It's not the humidity that makes you feel uncomfortable.  It's the dewpoint to watch.  Dewpoint is the actual measure of water vapor in the air.  Anything approaching 65 degrees F (18c) or greater will take the life out of you. 

Actually, the level of discomfort is related more to the Heat Index, which is a function of Dew Point and Air Temp, as seen in the following tables:

For example at Dew Point 75°F, the Heat Index 77°F is just 2°F above the Air Temp 75°F, i.e., not uncomfortable even though the relative humidity is 100%. However, for the same Dew Point 75°F, the Heat Index of 101°F is now 11°F above the Air Temp 90°F, i.e., definite discomfort even though the relative humidity has dropped to 62%.

Heat Index Calcs.pdf

TaylorMade Stealth 2 12° - Ventus Velo Blue 5R2

PING G425 Max 5-Wood (@16.5°) / 7-Wood (@19.5°) - Ventus Velo Red 5R2

Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 21° / 24° - AD HY 65R

Mizuno MP245 6-GW - AD 75R SSx1

TaylorMade MG4 52.08 - AD 75S (8i) / 56.12TW - AD 75S (9i)

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 WH

Titleist ProV1x

I walk all my rounds except when my friend and I do 72 holes in two days. For holes 55-72, we might take a cart. We’re in the Chicago area so the dew point is pretty regularly in the high 60’s or low 70’s. Post Covid, very few courses still put coolers out so my wife got me a 60 oz growler. It lasts a whole round and when we walk 36 I’ll stop at a convenience store and buy a few waters. 
Also, agree with OP. Seeing totally able-bodied people in their 20’s and 30’s taking carts is way past sad. Just pitiful. 

• Like 2

Mizuno ST 190G w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 6S

Mizuno ST-Z 15° w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 7S

Mizuno ST-Z 18° w/ Fujikura Atmos Black TS 7S

Srixon ZX7 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

Taylormade MG 50°/54°/58° w/ Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Piretti Cottonwood II

On 8/2/2022 at 2:20 PM, drumdude96 said:

We've certainly had some really hot days this summer, but I haven't let the heat keep me from walking 18 almost every chance I get.  I'll even get out and walk a round when it's 95 degrees or hotter.  I do use a push cart and I have an umbrella attached to give me shade, and of course I drink LOTS of water, but at 44 years old I'm still walking the course when it's absolutely sweltering outside.  Who among us is also a true warrior? 🤣  :crazy2:

P.S.  All the twenty and thirty-somethings I see riding carts all the time are weenies! 😆

I WAS like that until about a week ago.  98 degrees and walking the course - I felt lightheaded...then started cramping.   First time I think I've ever been severely dehydrated.   I had Tactical Hydration in the morning; then drank 8oz of water every 1-2 holes.   Sweat like crazy.   On 15 after kneeling to read a putt I stood up and felt a little light headed...no worries...but then it didn't go away, and it  got progressively a little worse each hole.   I started getting a headache by end of 18.  Soaked a towel in ice water and put the cold towel on the arms and back fo the neck as I'm walking up to the clubhouse.    Felt ok...so drove home.  In my truck I started to get cramps (never had that before) in weird places:  middle of my right forearm; the outside fat part of my left palm; mid thigh on the right; foot cramp middle of left foot; and then "in the middle" of my stomach...so odd.   On advice of my playing partner (also a cardiologist) I took a cold shower, hydrate a lot - and rested.   Took about 4-6 hours before I felt normal again.

So I've decided that I'm not going to walk or play over 90* for the rest of the year....so I'm just going to play in the a.m.

One thing to remember:  nobody who gets injured on a golf course will get any sympathy whatsoever from anyone who doesn't play golf.  Think about it....probably most folks you know -don't play golf.

If you're ever injured playing golf - just tell people you were injured by pushing a baby stroller out of the way of oncoming traffic; or saving a nun from a thug.   Otherwise you face derision.   🙂 🙂 

Edited by ChipDriver
  • Haha 1

I don’t mind walking as long as I’m hydrated, which is usually every time I play. In Texas, it’s pretty much hot, humid, and windy when I play so I’m used to it. 

Taylormade Qi10 9° - Tensei Blue X Link 65x

Taylormade Qi10 Tour 16.5° - Tensei Blue RAW 75x

Srixon ZX7 Mk II 4-6, Z Forged II 7-9 - PX LZ 6.0

Vokey SM9 46/50/54/58 - S200

Toulon Las Vegas H1 - Diamana P105 

Titleist Pro V1