2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

How Many Of You Guys Are Crazy Like Me And Walk When It's Almost 100 Degrees?

67 years old, as well. Walk every round and play about 5 times a week. Could be 9, 12 or 18 holes after work. (have a desk job 5 - 1:30, so the walking is good for me) 18 holes on weekends. But, as I get older, I am finding that I am getting less tolerant of the Arizona heat. Funny thing, my remote control cart stops working at about 95 degrees, so when it is the hottest, it’s back to the Jones bag or the Sun Mountain Speed cart.

How to play golf.
Hit the ball.
Find the ball
Repeat until the ball is in the hole.
Have fun.
...Chuck Hogan

5 hours ago, jvincent said:

My worst ever walk was Bethpage Black.

99* with a humidex of 105* IIRC. I've never drunk that much liquid on a golf course.

I played Black a couple weeks ago in 95* and 90% humidity. Thankfully I bought a tiny bag and drank as much water as I could. I was done after about 12 holes and just barely survived. Carts should be banned except for seniors or the handicapped 

• Like 2

Driver(s) - TSR3 Ventus Red 6s and G430 Ventus TR 6x

TSR2 15* Di7s

Sim 2 19* / Tensei AV Blue 85s

Sim2 22* / Tensei AV Blue 85s

MP18 MMC 5-Pw

SM8 50* 

Jaw Raw 54s  

Vokey SM8 M Grind 59*

Spider Plumber's Neck

Callaway Chrome Tour X

I am 68 and play almost every day, regardless of the temperature. I walk 90% of the time, the only exceptions being courses with mandatory carts or for a break when playing every day in sticky, humid conditions. I play better when I walk and feel that exercise is important and a part of the game.

I carried my clubs up until eleven years ago. I now use a push cart (ClicGear), largely to reduce the strain on a bad knee.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, rd1959 said:

I'm 63, overweight. congestive heart disease, diabetic, and a pack a day smoker. I'll walk 9 in that kind of heat. By the end of the round I'm usually sucking wind but, I get some exercise, get my heart rate up (way up lol) and I lose about 5-6 lbs. of water weight.
 The doctors always try to discourage me but, I'm old and ornery and, due to my family history, seem to live into their 80s regardless of what they do to themselves. 
 So, if you're ever playing golf and I die in front of you, either push me off to the side or mark me as a hazard and keep going. There seems to be plenty of rules that cover immovable objects, unplayable lies, free relief... take your pick. 😁

You should carry a can of white spray paint with you. Then when you croak in front of someone they can mark you as GUR!

Good genes matter more than anything don’t they!

Im a couple weeks from turning 59. And I’m incredibly cheap. When I worked part time at the course I didn’t have to pay for a cart. So I rode every round.  Now that I have to pay, I’ve walked every round. If it’s league (where it’s been mid 90’s for our afternoon start), 9 holes I carry my bag. If it’s a weekend 18 hole round I push.  Fortunately the heat doesn’t bother me too much. 

• Haha 2

I carried a couple weeks ago in 99+ with high humidity ... through up in the shower afterward. Might have had a little heat exhaustion. Lots of hydration, too. Just couldn't seem to get enough.

Edited by tatertot

Driver #1: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Driver #2: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Gauge G2 Big Dog, 35"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

I posted this in another thread and I’m not sure people believed it. I was riding but even in a cart we couldn’t finish. It’s was dead clam and super humid. 

We didn’t finish the round. I don’t think anyone could have walked 18 without severe consequences. Imagine checking a pizza in the oven and think of the blast of heat that hits you in the face. Brutal. 

3570418B-8034-40EA-A078-EA2457FA81D6.jpeg

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

14 minutes ago, jdl said:

I walked last weekend when it was mid 90s and will walk again Thursday when we're supposed to get similar temps. I will admit the course I'm playing is really short, compact and a very easy walk. 😀 Double Gatorade day for sure.

The big Gatorades! Not the little 20 ouncers! I always take at least 6 of the 1/2 liter bottles of water when I get out in that kind of heat plus high humidity. Crazy that you can drink 3 bottles of water per 9 and sweat so much that you never even have to urinate.

• Like 2

PING G400 Max 10.5° GD YS Nano Reloaded 6X                                            

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 16.5° 3HL Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 70 X                                                       

Callaway V-Series 19° 5 wood Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 80 S                                                         

PING G410 22°, 26° & 30° Hybrids KBS Steel Hybrid Shaft X                                               

Adams A4 Forged 7-PW Dynamic Gold AMT X100 D4                                                                        

Cleveland CBX 50°, 55° Dynamic Gold S400

Cleveland CBX Full Face 60° Dynamic Gold Tour Spinner

Odyssey 2-Ball Blade w/Triple Trac

Vice Pro Plus Lime

45 minutes ago, deadsolid...shank said:

You should carry a can of white spray paint with you. Then when you croak in front of someone they can mark you as GUR!

Good genes matter more than anything don’t they!

Im a couple weeks from turning 59. And I’m incredibly cheap. When I worked part time at the course I didn’t have to pay for a cart. So I rode every round.  Now that I have to pay, I’ve walked every round. If it’s league (where it’s been mid 90’s for our afternoon start), 9 holes I carry my bag. If it’s a weekend 18 hole round I push.  Fortunately the heat doesn’t bother me too much. 

See, I knew there was a rule that would cover the situation. I'm not sure if it's good genes or just plain ignorance. 😁

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RSinSG said:

I posted this in another thread and I’m not sure people believed it. I was riding but even in a cart we couldn’t finish. It’s was dead clam and super humid. 

We didn’t finish the round. I don’t think anyone could have walked 18 without severe consequences. Imagine checking a pizza in the oven and think of the blast of heat that hits you in the face. Brutal. 

3570418B-8034-40EA-A078-EA2457FA81D6.jpeg

A temp that high, I think would require a couple of siestas along the way.

... I play 300+ rounds a year and walk with a remote cart fall/winter/spring but once the temp reaches triple digits I am riding in a cart. Phoenix has too many cloudless days and in the direct sun with 100+ temps at age 69 I just don't chance it. I walked one day at 102* with no wind and bright sun I felt like I was close to heat stroke and it was a little scary. On the flip side I also play in a cart up to 112* but anything hotter and I take a day off. 

Driver:       TM Qi10 ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:    TM Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:    Ping G430 22* ... Alta CB Black 70r
                  TM Dhy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r

Irons:         Titleist T200 '23 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:    Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:       Cobra King Sport-60
Ball:           2024 TP5x/2023 Maxfli Tour

9 hours ago, chisag said:

... I play 300+ rounds a year and walk with a remote cart fall/winter/spring but once the temp reaches triple digits I am riding in a cart. Phoenix has too many cloudless days and in the direct sun with 100+ temps at age 69 I just don't chance it. I walked one day at 102* with no wind and bright sun I felt like I was close to heat stroke and it was a little scary. On the flip side I also play in a cart up to 112* but anything hotter and I take a day off. 

The course I play all the fairways are tree lined so there's plenty of shade. That "dry heat" ya'll have out west is more difficult than the humidity here in NC. I've lived in the south all my life so I'm used to instant sweat and fogged up glasses when I walk outside. It's part of the reason Southerners speak slower and use a lot of contracted words... It's just too hot to say the complete words. 😁

Edited by rd1959

I'm 44 in great shape, I'll definitely ride a cart in that type of heat. Guy at my club, who is my age and always walks, got heat stoke last summer after a round in the clubhouse. Pretty scary.

Taylormade Qi10 LS 9°(10°) - GD Tour AD UB 5

Taylormade BRNR 11.5°(13°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Mizuno T22 50° S Grind

Vokey SM8 56° D Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

I’m 57. Just finished 18 here in Sacramento at 102° today.  Push cart when it gets over 90° but I’m always walking. 

Best back 9 in awhile tonight too, 2 over. The front, not so much. 😂

Edited by SteelieD
102° today!

Titleist TS
Titleist 915F 5W and TSi 7W

Srixon ZX5 w/ Recoil 95
Bettinardi - 56 & 60
Piretti Forza
Titleist AVX

If I ever had the opportunity (some might call it a curse) to run a golf course, I’d be certain to have the funds for clean water coolers with fresh water on every other tee box. So important, and unfortunately so rare. 

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

Walk every week in mens league no matter the weather (got absolutley soaked in a downpour last week lol) and we do as many holes as possible til dark. So teeing off around 5-530 we miss the peak of the days heat but some weeks are still brutal. 

TM SIM Max 9*  Tensei blue AV 65-S

Mizuno ST180 3w 15* Tensei blue-S

Cobra BioCell 5w 19* Matrix RedTie-S

Ping G30 4h 22* TFC 419-R

Wilson FG Tour V4 4-PW DG Pro S300

Cleveland CBX 52* 58* DG 115-W

Mannkrafted rebar Rattler 

The only time I ride these days is when they require a cart, and even then I kvetch about it. I've walked over 550 rounds since I retired in November 2019, and carried ~450 of those rounds. I've lost 45 lbs since then, and hope to lose another 20.

'Don't remember the last time I didn't walk because of the heat and/or humidity. On really hot days I'll open my umbrella for the shade. The biggest issue I run into is the lack of drinking water on some courses. Since the pandemic, it seems more courses aren't putting out water jugs, and don't have fountains or restrooms w/ potable water. One can only carry so much water. Out and back layouts are tough when you can't fill a water bottle at the turn.

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

62 in PA and walk exclusively regardless of heat.  I will say that the best golf purchase I ever made is my electric (non-remote) cart, as it makes walking even more enjoyable.  I hate to see young guys riding around in carts because it just screams "entitled" to me.  I have ridden a cart, but I find the game much more enjoyable when walking from the standpoint of not only staying loose but also taking in the atmosphere.  And I figure I at least got some benefit from the round even if the golf stunk. 

39 now. Before I joined my private club in march i always walked. Now, I always ride. I still plan to walk for most of my winter rounds but I joined this club to essentially buy time. Carts are included and I get 3-4 9 hole rounds during the week either during lunch or after work in 1.5 hours or less.  Plus my weekend games are with multiple groups and they all ride. 

AI Smoke Max @ 7* +8g front weight - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.25”)

BRNR Mini 13.5(@12.5*) 43.25” - Diamana DF 70tx(tipped 1.75”)

TSR 3h 19* - AV Raw White 9x  -OR-  Fourteen Type 7 (19*) - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Miura CB 1008 4-P - $ taper black 125 s+(HS 1x)

Cleveland RTX 6 50/55 - X100

Titleist SM9 60.12 D grind - S400

Piretti Savona 

I walk 80+% of the time. I have ridden a few times this year due to foot injuries and twice due to weather over 95 degrees and humid. My course also doesn't allow push carts until the afternoon, and we always play at 7:20, so we're carrying with no umbrella. But I don't consider myself a weenie even at 32 years old!

29 minutes ago, JimmyC59 said:

I'm 62, I not only walk, I jog from shot to shot. Not the whole length of the hole, but at least 150-200 yards on every hole.

When I played in Arizona I used to run 9.  I was a triathlete at the time. 55 years old.  With a full bag my record was 45 minutes and shot 34.  3 birdies and 1 bogey. 

Edited by 596
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 596 said:

When I played in Arizona I used to run 9.  I was a triathlete at the time. 55 years old.  With a full bag my record was 35 minutes and shot 34.  3 birdies and 1 bogey. 

I tried this a few times at my previous course. I did 18 walking in an hour and 37 minutes. But it's not nearly as fun... not exactly easy to hit delicate chips after sprinting uphill and being winded.

I’m 70, and walk regardless of the temperature. I’m in Piedmont NC, so the heat and humidity are fairly intense.  I’m fit, and maybe more importantly, acclimated to the heat because I walk year round.  I just tied for first low net in my club’s Senior championship; I was one of only three guys that walked both days.

I have made some concessions, though. I use an electric cart now, and I do ride when I’m in a two man competition because I don’t want to get tired and let my partner down late in a round, or at least have him worry that I might.

Really, the walking is almost as important to me as the golf itself, and it’ll be interesting to see see if I keep playing when I can’t walk regularly.

As to the young guys who ride, it just stuns me every time I see it.  Knowing what we know about the benefits of walking, the idea of paying an additional $20+ to AVOID exercise is something I just don’t get.  

This is a really interesting sample, and seems to align with what I see anecdotally out there.  It's more likely that players over 50, over 60, or over 70 walk.

I wonder how much is cultural and how much is paying more attention to health as you reach those round numbers in age.

I am 46 and am considered kind of weird -- lots of guys I play with my age or younger have no interest at all in walking and do not think it is possible for me to keep pace.  I don't always prove them wrong, but I often do.

• Like 2

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

1 hour ago, TBD203 said:

I walk 80+% of the time. I have ridden a few times this year due to foot injuries and twice due to weather over 95 degrees and humid. My course also doesn't allow push carts until the afternoon, and we always play at 7:20, so we're carrying with no umbrella. But I don't consider myself a weenie even at 32 years old!

I've never figured out the no-carts-until-afternoon thing. What's the "rationale"? 

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0