2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

FedEx St Jude Championship 2022 (*** NO LIV REFERENCES/DISCUSSIONS ***)

MattyO1984

2 hours ago, ronsc1985 said:

Straka must have the I.Q. o a root vegetable with apologies to turnips and potatoes.

First Zelatoris almost hits if out of bounds and Straka instead of jus hitting it in the fairway, takes a 3 wood and dam near hits in the water into a unplayable lie on the pond bank.  He gets out of that hole and then after Zelatolris almost hits it in the pond, he instead of just playing for the center of the green, does hit it in the pond and  with a drop hits in in a bunker. You see more golf intelligence and better shot making  in the fourth flight of a club championship. 

Was thinking the same thing.  How Straka doesn’t hit tee shot to middle or bunker.  If WZ hits that shot off the rocks and beats me fine.  If this was a major, Jan Vande Veld would have company.

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

1 minute ago, NJBigFish22 said:

Was thinking the same thing.  How Straka doesn’t hit tee shot to middle or bunker.  If WZ hits that shot off the rocks and beats me fine.  If this was a major, Jan Vande Veld would have company.

Yep. It’s hard to imagine being short there after wills shot.  Hit it anywhere else.  Anywhere. 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Titleist MB 3-pw modus 130x 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Man, can't even say how stoked I am for Willy Z to finally get a win. 

• Like 4

Titleist TSR3 8° LA GOLF DJ Edition

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

36 minutes ago, ElephantTusk said:

If only the tour players realized how much easier the game is when playing from a couch! 

Just because they're pros doesn't mean they're perfect or beyond second guessing. There were some EXTREME mental mistakes made out there today. Good thing Johnny wasn't in the booth ... I don't think he would have made it to the end.

• Haha 1

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

1 hour ago, NMBob said:

I thought the days of an off duty rules official calling in and changing a golf tournament were over.   Apparently not.   This stuff needs to stop.   The tournament rules committee looked at it and decided to do nothing Saturday,   How is it the guy calling in not on the this tournament rules committee, is allowed to overrule the committee and make them all do different than they decided?  Glad to see the golf channel now say this stuff has to have an end the day the round is played or something like that. 

Pardon?

1 hour ago, NMBob said:

I thought the days of an off duty rules official calling in and changing a golf tournament were over.   Apparently not.   This stuff needs to stop. 

FWIW an on site rules official noticed the infraction when watching the round replay Saturday night.

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2022/08/14/cameron-smith-penalized-two-strokes-improper-ball-placement-fedex-st-jude-championship/

Gary Young, a PGA Tour rules official who is the chief referee of the FedEx St. Jude Championship, said an on-site rules official noticed the drop while watching the re-broadcast Saturday night.

15 minutes ago, grm24 said:

FWIW an on site rules official noticed the infraction when watching the round replay Saturday night.

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2022/08/14/cameron-smith-penalized-two-strokes-improper-ball-placement-fedex-st-jude-championship/

Gary Young, a PGA Tour rules official who is the chief referee of the FedEx St. Jude Championship, said an on-site rules official noticed the drop while watching the re-broadcast Saturday night.

35 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

If the Tour's internet media/content department wasn't staffed by partially trained monkeys, they'd be out there creating content like that. Guaranteed big views on the Will Zalatoris "lets see what would have happened if I tried this instead of dropping" video. Hell, get a REGULAR segment going where winners are brought out to walk through any strange, interesting, or pivotal moments leading up to the win and maybe play out a few different scenarios after the fact. There are so many cool things their social media arm could be doing and instead they keep churning out underbaked highlight videos barely featuring the relevant people while always forgetting to add the title cards so a red-faced Finau can point at nothing for the 67th time. 

Accurate. After-action content like that would be click driven gold.
Back when Duval absolutely stiffed a 5i from 218 on the Palmer Private course at PGA West to close out his 59, me and all my buds kept trying that shot every time we played it for at least the next month. (To no avail, that was a nuke 5i back then in I think ‘99.)

TSi3 10* / Ventus TR Red 6s
TS2 16.5* / Ventus TR Red 7s
TS2 19* / Ventus Blue HB 7s
716 T-MB 4i-5i / Modus3 Tour 120x
716 CB 6i-P / Modus3 Tour 120x
SM5 50f @51/ 54s @55 / 58m @59 / Modus3 125 Wedge
2022 Phantom 5.5 Circle H 34" / Matador M 

The playoff was going to run a little late for me this side of the Pond with an early Monday start so I never sat up to watch it but by the sound of things, I wish that I did. Glad to wake up and see that Zalatoris got the win. Feels like it has been a long time coming but well deserved. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist 915Hd 17.5* Mitsubishi Diamana D+ Stiff
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM10 50.08F, 54.10D (Raw) & 60.04T (Raw) KBS Tour Stiff
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

5 hours ago, syders said:

Nothing should be able to be assessed after the round. It’s a horrendous look for the PGA tour. 

I understand your stance, but I disagree. I personally think that PGAT players and their caddies should know the rules of golf and be held to them (especially the easy ones like how to properly take a drop). Not too long ago, before they relaxed the rules, Cam Smith would have been DQ'd for signing an incorrect scorecard. 

Also, as I understand it, Cam agreed with the penalty. 

• Like 1

If winning was easy, losers would do it.

59 minutes ago, Hardluckster said:

I understand your stance, but I disagree. I personally think that PGAT players and their caddies should know the rules of golf and be held to them (especially the easy ones like how to properly take a drop). Not too long ago, before they relaxed the rules, Cam Smith would have been DQ'd for signing an incorrect scorecard. 

Also, as I understand it, Cam agreed with the penalty. 

Everything you say is accurate but i'm not sure it really even goes against his point. For example i don't disagree--players need to know the rules. I just think it's a bad look to change results after play has been concluded. Golf is the only sport i can think of that really does this. Most other leagues just acknowledge an officiating error was made and the result stands.

this one for reasons we won't discuss looks particularly bad IMO. Even though all reports seem to be that Cam fully admitted what he did and to not knowing that rule

Nothing will ever come close to the USGA disaster when they told DJ during the round "maybe we'll punish you and maybe we won't" --But the USGA is the Michael Jordan of messing things up so of course they would top the list

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

In regarding the Cam penalty, the tournament was not over. It's a 72 hole tournament... Knowing you had a rules violation, would a player really feel comfortable not taking that penalty? 

I think setting the precedent of possibly getting away with rules violations is not a good thing for the game at that level or any level really. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

Everything you say is accurate but i'm not sure it really even goes against his point. For example i don't disagree--players need to know the rules. I just think it's a bad look to change results after play has been concluded. Golf is the only sport i can think of that really does this. Most other leagues just acknowledge an officiating error was made and the result stands.

True but other leagues don't have the participants making the calls during play.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jdl said:

True but other leagues don't have the participants making the calls during play.

"But golf is a gentleman's game" LOL....I think that is the legally mandated response here

It's a good point, if one were inclined it's easier to cheat in golf than other sports.

But i still think even if workarounds are hard --It's really a bad look to change results the day after a round. This is a playoff event, imagine overturning an NBA playoff game because someone noticed a 2nd quarter 3 pointer the dude had his foot on the line.

• Like 3

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

2 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

"But golf is a gentleman's game" LOL....I think that is the legally mandated response here

It's a good point, if one were inclined it's easier to cheat in golf than other sports.

But i still think even if workarounds are hard --It's really a bad look to change results the day after a round. This is a playoff event, imagine overturning an NBA playoff game because someone noticed a 2nd quarter 3 pointer the dude had his foot on the line.

Oh I agree. And at least in golf we don't have play stopped every 5 minutes to have a ref go over to a tiny monitor and try to see if that guy's foot was on the line or not. There's a lot wrong with golf broadcasts but I'm grateful that instant replay has not infected it like it has basketball, football, etc.

8 hours ago, grm24 said:

That doesn't fit the narrative and will be ignored. Thank you.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

10 hours ago, NJBigFish22 said:
13 hours ago, ronsc1985 said:

Straka must have the I.Q. o a root vegetable with apologies to turnips and potatoes.

First Zelatoris almost hits if out of bounds and Straka instead of jus hitting it in the fairway, takes a 3 wood and dam near hits in the water into a unplayable lie on the pond bank.  He gets out of that hole and then after Zelatolris almost hits it in the pond, he instead of just playing for the center of the green, does hit it in the pond and  with a drop hits in in a bunker. You see more golf intelligence and better shot making  in the fourth flight of a club championship. 

Ever since his victory in spring, Straka has really, really struggled. I am fully convinced that he wanted to hit the safe shot on all 3 occasions, but his bad form of the past few months simply came through again and he simply could not execute.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

7 hours ago, syders said:

Nothing should be able to be assessed after the round. It’s a horrendous look for the PGA tour. 

Baseball umpire- yeah, watching the replay, I missed a strike call...yes, a golfer should know the rules, but the rule book is slightly excessive and very confusing. Golf rules are rarely as simple as reading a rule and implementing it. You are always referring back to definitions and other rulings then interpretations. If it was ruled a certain way onsite and the card was signed, leave it alone. It is a very bad look for the tour for this to happen way too often. You would think with the hundreds of millions in revenue, they could either train enough or have enough rules guys for every group. If the rules official with the group misses it, then it is over and forgotten. I don't care if it was Joe on the couch or a rules official that called in, the game must go on. 

Edited by cardia10
  • Like 3

Ha! That playoff was nuts, Willy Z got one under his belt, nice.

And Sahith!

T13 and made 260k

He moved out of the basement and now just needs a dope ride 🤣

“he’s still driving his old Volkswagen Passat.

“Just hit the 100,000 mile mark,” he said. “The problem is I just got it fixed, like a $700 repair, so I’m like, oh, I don’t need a new car now.”

https://golf.com/news/relatable-reason-breakout-tour-star-driving-old-vw-passat/?amp=1

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, MtlJeff said:

this one for reasons we won't discuss looks particularly bad IMO. Even though all reports seem to be that Cam fully admitted what he did and to not knowing that rule

Nothing will ever come close to the USGA disaster when they told DJ during the round "maybe we'll punish you and maybe we won't" --But the USGA is the Michael Jordan of messing things up so of course they would top the list

Play is over after the results are finalized on Sunday, not after the individual rounds. If errors are found after that, then the results would stand even with the error. 

When I first heard of the penalty, I thought 'oh no'. As it turns out, there was no real conspiracy. It was an obvious violation  by Cam. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, cardia10 said:

Baseball umpire- yeah, watching the replay, I missed a strike call...yes, a golfer should know the rules, but the rule book is slightly excessive and very confusing. Golf rules are rarely as simple as reading a rule and implementing it. You are always referring back to definitions and other rulings then interpretations. If it was ruled a certain way onsite and the card was signed, leave it alone. It is a very bad look for the tour for this to happen way too often. You would think with the hundreds of millions in revenue, they could either train enough or have enough rules guys for every group. If the rules official with the group misses it, then it is over and forgotten. I don't care if it was Joe on the couch or a rules official that called in, the game must go on. 

First of all, this isn't baseball. In golf, players 'umpire' the game. 

This rule was very easy. You must take full relief. 

It was ruled a certain way onsite? Yes, I guess that is true, but it was ruled that way by the person who committed the violation. There are no rules officials following these players looking for violations like in other sports. The rules officials are not umpires - they are there for assistance of needed. Players are responsible for knowing rules and abiding by them. 

Can Smith was supposedly fine with the penalty. I would expect nothing less from any honorable player.