Presidents Cup International Squad (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS/REFERENCES ***)

theodoreb

10 hours ago, PhilsFanDrew said:

Well that may be the one thing the International Team has going for them is the lack of galvanizing personalities on it.  Maybe that plays into lower energy on the American side and they come out flat and struggle to recover from it?  Not saying that is going to play out that way but you never know.  These type of events typically aren't won on paper.

Actually, the presidents cup just about is won on paper.  What is the international's record, 1-11-1 ?

Let's keep in mind the Intl. team is still comprised of professional golfers. As Judge Smails would say, "I'm no slouch myself"

Did the 1980 USA hockey team have a chance against the USSR? Soviets went in thinking they'd roll 10-3 like they did at MSG a week before opening ceremonies. 

I love the Prez and Ryder Cup. Will definitely still tune in and have two tv's streaming in the living room bouncing between college football and NFL. 

• Like 3

I've only watched one President's Cup event, the last time they played in Australia.  I always find team events fun, and I like Match play formats in general.  I'll likely watch most of this event, and hope the INT Team puts up a fight.  Match play in general can produce some bizarre results from time to time.

And I would love to see the President's Cup get turned into something different.  It will never end up being ABC Tour vs. XYZ Tour.  But why not just do a Mixed Gender USA vs The World type event.  Top 8 men and Top 8 Women for both sides.  Mixed matched play 4 ball, same gender alternate shot, and FvF and MvM singles matches.  The format lends itself perfectly to mixed events. 

• Like 2

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* and 20* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Honma Rose Proto 4-9  (Bassara 50HI)

ProtoC P2 46.5* (Bassara 50HI)

Ping Glide 4 52* and 58* (BAssara 50HI)

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

5 minutes ago, subrew said:

I've only watched one President's Cup event, the last time they played in Australia.  I always find team events fun, and I like Match play formats in general.  I'll likely watch most of this event, and hope the INT Team puts up a fight.  Match play in general can produce some bizarre results from time to time.

And I would love to see the President's Cup get turned into something different.  It will never end up being ABC Tour vs. XYZ Tour.  But why not just do a Mixed Gender USA vs The World type event.  Top 8 men and Top 8 Women for both sides.  Mixed matched play 4 ball, same gender alternate shot, and FvF and MvM singles matches.  The format lends itself perfectly to mixed events. 

This would certainly make the President's Cup more competitive and would be an interesting differentiator vs the Ryder Cup. 

18 hours ago, iBanesto said:

Great to see Kisner on the team.

A solid matchplay player. Straight shooter and great putter even though his recent form has not been that great.

KisnerDownSwingInline.gif

We know Kisner can still shoot a couple under when hungover, with no sleep and no practice warm up.

Edited by iBanesto

• GwrxMod changed the title to Presidents Cup International Squad (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS/REFERENCES ***)
On 9/7/2022 at 2:35 PM, subrew said:

Pretty much anything would be better than the Prez Cup. It's just a pale shadow of the Ryder Cup and hasn't been competitive at all.

Always fun on last day if scores are close.  Wow 4 Koreans on team.  That's amazing.  Looking forward to young Thomas Train debut.

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

IMO one of the reasons the Presidents Cup has never reached the same stature as the RC is because it doesnt have the same vitriol, and spew the same emotions as have past RC...the RC could learn

to turn down the rhetoric a few notches and that includes NBC and their handling of it. I dont mind a spirited competition, but golf is still supposed to be a gentleman's game and I think many players and their fans have forgotten that

• Like 1

On 9/8/2022 at 7:01 PM, tiderider said:

why not at least watch it for the golf course, like Royal Melbourne? 

I just always felt it was just a money grab by the PGA Tour. And I felt it would hinder team USA as them having to play in these matches every year vs every two years for Europe.  

• Like 1

Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

On 9/11/2022 at 9:40 AM, BrianMcG said:

I just always felt it was just a money grab by the PGA Tour. And I felt it would hinder team USA as them having to play in these matches every year vs every two years for Europe.  

Remember that golf is played outside the US & Europe and by non-US & Europeans so plenty of interest in other parts of the world.

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

7 minutes ago, Malvern said:

Where have you gone Bobby Allenby, a nation(s) turns its lonely eyes to you.

Howdy

No strip club, no abduction: Robert Allenby mystery deepens

• Like 1

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

On 9/10/2022 at 5:40 PM, BrianMcG said:

By that argument we should be better at it, at least in the past two decades of the Ryder Cup, than we are. 

Excepting last year our boys need the team practice. 

I would argue the Presidents Cup has been more exciting then the Ryder Cup in recent years.

The 2019 Presidents Cup was probably the best team event of 2010s bar none. The Internationals were up 2 points going into the final day and it came down to the last couple matches. And in 2015 the US won 15.5-14.5.

The last 4 Ryder Cups have basically been blowouts

2014- Europe wins 16.5-11.5 (The US press conf. was hilarious)

2016- US wins 17-11 (Though Rory-Reed and Phil-Sergio are probably 2 of the best singles matches ever)

2018- Europe wins 17.5-10.5

2021- US wins 19-9, Probably the worst performance I've ever seen by a losing side in a team competition. Outside of the Rahm/Sergio duo no one showed up

• Like 1