64 degree wedge, who has one and who has had one?

bekgolf

I have a Cleveland 588 64 degree in my bag and I love it.

A few qualifications:

I never hit it if I am further from the green than I can throw the ball.

While it goes 72 yards on a full swing, rarely will I take a full swing with it.

In windy conditions with hard lies (like at Bandon/Ireland/Scotland) caddies have always taken the club out of my hands after my first double bogie initiated by the 64.

They are hard to find, so I pick them up on ebay when I find them. Love the Cleveland 588, Callaway X forged, or PM when one in good condition is available.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Driver: Ping G425 Max 12 deg w/MR Tensei Orange R
Woods: Ping G425 5w & 7w w/MR Tensei Orange R
Hybrid: Ping G410 26 deg w/MR Diamana Blueboard R
Irons: Ping i230 5-U w/Nippon Modulus3 105S
Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400
Putter: Bettinardi Queen B #10
Ball: Titleist ProV1x (2021) 

I have one bent 2* flat and absolutely love it. Has saved me more times than not. I should add that I only use it when I've shortsided myself, or out of greenside traps. So easy to get the ball out of the traps with plenty of spin to stop on a dime. I'm at 12 so I find myself in these situations more than I care to admit. If I were any better, I could probably leave it at home, but I'd absolutely say that' it's saved me more strokes than it's cost me.

• Like 2

Callaway 64 Sureout

“Break Glass in Emergency”

can’t hit a full shot with it but it

is a wonder at the superflop 

F715095C-ABE6-4CBD-823D-E6BDC1EF6691.jpeg

• Like 3
TM SIM Max 9* Tensei Orange 60
Titleist TS2 16.5 Motore X 75
Ping g400 20.5 DVS 85
Titleist 818H1 23* Diamana 90

Ping i500 5-7, iBlade 8-Pw 
Ping Glide 53, 58, Callaway 64*
Kevin Burns “Icemakr” custom
Stage IV MELANOMA SURVIVOR
“kids wear your sunscreen !!"

OG wrxer (check my member #)

About 20 years ago I came across a 64* Vokey 200 and messed around with it off & on for a couple years and never felt it was worth a full-time slot in the bag. So it ended up in the closet for several years and occasionally, out of boredom mostly, I'd get it out and try it again but it would always end up shelved.

A few years ago I did some trading and ended up with a Miura K Grind 64. It was a different animal. It made using a 64 useful and fun. I rarely use it these days but I see a day coming, like getting ready for next season, when it will get a chance for a slot.

• Thanks 1

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

I tried one many years ago, a 64 degree Wilson trouble wedge. Bought it just to try the loft. Its name was apt - it put me in more trouble than it ever got me out of. Went back to a normal 60 and not changed since.

I rarely use my 60 unless I need a high floaty shot with no green to work with, but that doesn’t come up often. 64 would be wasted on me.

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Tensei Blue
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Taylormade TP5x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

I've had one in the bag ever since the PM Grind came out. It is ridiculously good. 

It was a bit of a change to adjust to the PM Grind 2 but I absolutely love it, probably my favourite club in the bag. Just so easy to use especially out of bunkers. 

I usually play it very open with an aggressive swing. 40 yards and in is where I am most effective but I can play it from 70 out if I need to carry a tree etc. 

I think the PM Grind is a unique wedge where the 64 is so easy to use once you master playing it open. I am now genuinely worried about having to replace it as no other wedge is similar to it. 

• Like 1

The order was delivered today.  They sent a 58 instead of the 64.  Perhaps it's just not meant to be.  The 58 will go back to CPO, it's a beautiful new in wrapper (typical like new from CPO) full toe raw jaws.  I already have three  58 degree wedges from different manufacturers, lol.

Cleveland still has the CBX full face on sale, if the urge gets to be too much I'll pick one of those up in 64.  Right now I have a Christmas spending hangover and really don't want to spend any more money for awhile.

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

3 minutes ago, bekgolf said:

The order was delivered today.  They sent a 58 instead of the 64.  Perhaps it's just not meant to be.  The 58 will go back to CPO, it's a beautiful new in wrapper (typical like new from CPO) full toe raw jaws.  I already have three  58 degree wedges from different manufacturers, lol.

Cleveland still has the CBX full face on sale, if the urge gets to be too much I'll pick one of those up in 64.  Right now I have a Christmas spending hangover and really don't want to spend any more money for awhile.

I’m a fan of the callaway shape over the Cleveland. But they’re both nice. I mean you’ve already spent the money at cpo. May as well just get the 64° haha. I promise you that they’re a ton of fun. 

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

I have several and regularly carry one. No idea how far it goes on full shots because I never have and never will. The club is purely used for greenside emergencies when I must get the ball to go straight up and straight down. I have a 58 SW so it can handle about 99% greenside shots and anything inside 90yd. Generally I think I use the 64 maybe once every 3-4 rounds. One time I had to use it 3 times before the turn and I knew it was gonna be a long day. 

Being that it has such a limited role, recently I have been re-evaluating if I should continue to carry it. However I haven't come up with the need for another club so we'll see if it goes back into the bag next season. 

Edited by mister2cool
  • Like 1

PXG Gen 4 0811XT 9* Tensei White AV RAW 65X

PXG Gen 4 0341X 3W Tensei White AV RAW 75X

PXG Gen 1 0211 19* Tensei White AV RAW 90X

PXG 0317ST 4-W Extreme Darkness PX LZ 6.5

PXG SD2 50* & 54 PX LZ 6.0

PXG SD 58*

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack Slant neck 34" 

I’m not a well travelled golfer so I must not understand the courses y’all are playing.  Because a 64 is darn near necessary in my area of the world.  Hard, raised greens surrounded by rough are the norm.  A 64 is club of choice around the greens for roughly 90% of shots.  So about 10 shots a round for me LOL.

I have a 62 that I only use around the greens and bunker shots.  Found I did not need the 50 degree and decided to give it a shot, as my home course sand traps have way too much sand in them.  I have really grown to like it a lot but whenever I play away from my home course, it is the first club to come out and replace with a long iron.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 8.25* | Ventus TR Blue 6X

Taylor Made Stealth2+ 4W 15.75* | Ventus TR Blue 8 TX

Titleist TSR2 7W 20.25* | Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist T200 Utility 4i | Tensei 1K Black 95X

Titleist T150 (5-P) | Project X 6.0

Titleist SM9 Raw 52F/58T/62LBK | Project X 6.0

Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport Plus

Titleist Pro V1

For 1.5 years my home course was a brutal track with 18 greens either elevated, or cut flat into a slope so one side would have a severe downslopw with the green falling away, the other a severe upslope. If you missed the greens (and they were tiny) you had to get it up and then stop it fast. It was in this environment that I purchased a cheap component 64° wedge.

I will admit, it takes some getting used to, and if you forced me at gunpoint to choose between a 64° and a 1-iron for a full swing where I had to make clean contact, I'd probably pull the 1-iron. But it made those greens manageable. I didn't have to think about face angles or flopping or any of that, it just became point and shoot. From time to time I'd fluff some, but I'd more than make up for it with recoveries I simply couldn't make without it.

Then I'd go to another favorite course, a nearby links layout. The 64° would go into a closet anf a chipper would make an appearance, but that's a debate for another thread...

• Like 1

I think a 64° can be very useful.  Even built one for my wife who only plays a few times a year, and it's one if her favorite clubs around the green.

Just food for thought for those that haven't seen.... Here's something I posted in earlier threads to show effective lofts when opening a wedge.  I'm sure we all play shots with wedges lofted at more than 64° at times.  This is not to deter anyone from playing a 64° or whatever clubs work.  If anything it shows that 64 doesn't have to sound like a daunting loft:

This is a 54° wedge at 80° effective loft:

20201224_191536.jpg.bb9f973bc804bc6133c28cd0a57ba6cc.jpg.2567d5e2143e71c72e3fd1dd30ee94a0.jpg

• Like 2

D Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 4I Mizuno JPX 921 HMP, RIPα105X 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

I played the 64 for a while and changed to a 62 last season. My Wedge Setup is 50, 56, 62 and most of the time i use the 56. A 62/64 is just a club which is nice to have in special situations but when you need it, you‘ll not regret to have this Wedge.

I would also go with a flat Lie angle!! 1) when you need a 64, you want to play a high Shot, flater Lie Angle allows you to easier Open the Face. 2) you will not (often) play full shots with this club, so the shaft will not bend that much (Toe Down).

• 2 months later...

I just couldn't shake the 64* wedge want so I kept looking for deals to pop up.  Patience has paid off, it took a few months but CPO has/had a CBX full face for a good price and I had a free shipping coupon so I pulled the trigger today.  I'm sending in a club I don't use for trade. 

I already have a 60* CBX full face that I get along with so I'm confident with that model of club, it looks a little clunky but it works for me.  In fact I got along with that club so well that I'm going all Cleveland in the wedge department.

Tour Edge Exotics:  Irons and Woods

Cleveland:  Wedges

Odyssey:  Putter

On 12/20/2022 at 7:25 PM, mpf08796 said:

My brother went down this road with a PM grind 64. It’s a niche club at best , but it can come in quite handy at times. He does well with it and his ball striking can be lack luster. Our local course has raised greens and it works well. Go for it

It dosen’t sound like you have any respect for your brothers game:(

I used a Callaway x forged 64 for many years.  I pulled off the craziest circus shots with that club...like hitting over a tall tree that was right in front of me.  I also bladed shots 30 yards over green when I didn't make perfect contact.  I then learned how to open the face, use bounce and perform bump and run shots with a 58.  The 64 is in my garage now.  Love that club but risk is not worth the reward.

Do they still make that 70° thing they sold on late night infomercials when we were all drunk in the 90s?

Titleist TSR4  | Ventus TR VeloCore Blue 6 44.5"

Titleist TSR3 16.5° | Ventus TR Velocore Blue 7 42.5"

Titleist 816H1 19° | Aldila Rogue Max 85H

Titleist 690.CB 4-P | DG S300

Vokey SM9 52.12F 56.10S 60.08M | DG AMT S400

PING Anser | 35"

Ball | Bridgestone Tour BX | Titleist Pro V1

Bag | Taylormade Flextech Light | Jones Original | Titleist Tour Staff Bag

I carried a 64* for nearly a decade due to my home club having tiny, elevated greens with substantial slope.  I also fell in love with the 58*.

However, in order to fill bag (and wedge gaps) more efficiently, I have gone to 56* and 62*. Plenty of flop ability while being a bit more useful for full shots. It also helps that I have a 2012 Cleveland 62* with 10* bounce. Anything less than 10* bounce just doesn't work for me.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, azgreg said:

DSC_0037_web_2048x2048.jpg?v=1647446165

Someone needs to get this in Shiels’ hands. 

• Haha 1

Titleist TSR4  | Ventus TR VeloCore Blue 6 44.5"

Titleist TSR3 16.5° | Ventus TR Velocore Blue 7 42.5"

Titleist 816H1 19° | Aldila Rogue Max 85H

Titleist 690.CB 4-P | DG S300

Vokey SM9 52.12F 56.10S 60.08M | DG AMT S400

PING Anser | 35"

Ball | Bridgestone Tour BX | Titleist Pro V1

Bag | Taylormade Flextech Light | Jones Original | Titleist Tour Staff Bag

On 12/22/2022 at 1:36 PM, njlam said:

I have a Cleveland 588 64 degree in my bag and I love it.

A few qualifications:

I never hit it if I am further from the green than I can throw the ball.

While it goes 72 yards on a full swing, rarely will I take a full swing with it.

In windy conditions with hard lies (like at Bandon/Ireland/Scotland) caddies have always taken the club out of my hands after my first double bogie initiated by the 64.

They are hard to find, so I pick them up on ebay when I find them. Love the Cleveland 588, Callaway X forged, or PM when one in good condition is available.

The grind in the 588 64* was perfection. It was basically the same as the 56*. I always wondered why they never had that option on the 60*. 

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip