Anthony Kim - Gawd I miss this guy (THREADS MERGED)

mosesgolf

3 hours ago, Valtiel said:

It goes to show how much charisma and attitude impacts people's perception of you. Statistically he had one elite year (2008), two above average years (2007/2009) and everything else was middling to below average. He'd pop his head up in majors just often enough to distract from the fact that 2010-2012 were pretty average years and he had that chaos factor; lights out putting but couldn't hit the broad side of a barn off the tee. I'd watch the hell out of him play again though...we've never really seen someone go this route before. 

People won't always remember what you say or do, but they'll always remember how you make them feel. 

1 hour ago, Str8Putt said:

The insurance policy probably says he can't play in X amount of years and is not a forever clause.   

10+ years is a long time to be out of any sport

Referencing the most accepted reporting on the policy: 

SmartSelect_20240126_123826_SamsungInternet.png.a0aefe54b5e50b3adbfc89de3ea473b2.png

AFAIK no one but Kim, his lawyers, and the insurer have actually seen the policy but all the old articles and the current info floating around about the talks with LIV indicate that's exactly what it states. He gets a payout only in he event of a believed career-ending injury but he can never play again or he has to pay it back in full. It makes sense as the money made in insurance comes by taking bets that they'll rarely have to pay out on or where they can vest the premiums and make money before a payout. Fits with policies on certain top models that have been covered in reputable news sources in the past.

38 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

AK is the type of attitude we want to root for. It’s like the movie top gun ,like  Kat Williams  or Johnny cash. Just bravado unapologetically displayed.  

Right, you mean the white belt and attitude from 15 years ago...you want 2009 AK to be around in 2024.

Just out of curiosity, are any of you guys in your late 30s exactly the same as you were 15 years ago?

I guess we will wait and see at this point!

Edited by dcmidnight
  • Like 3

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

1 hour ago, bladehunter said:

AK is the type of attitude we want to root for. It’s like the movie top gun ,like  Kat Williams  or Johnny cash. Just bravado unapologetically displayed.  

I see your Kat Williams, Johnny Cash and Top Gun and raise you an Anwar Sadat, Lee Majors and Unforgiven. 

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

We’ll. I’m not really  white belt fan. But the buckle was boss. 

I think it just boils down to the term “ man’s man “. If I dare. Some guys are cool in any room.  With no real effort. Not many golfers can make that claim.  Especially now.  I don’t think the white belt is coming back. But there’s no reason why the pendulum can’t go back toward 2009.   Golf needs gunslingers. Not stats nerds. My opinion. 

Post of the day. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, dcmidnight said:

Serious Q what makes anyone think he has a personality *now*? Because he wore a white belt and a big buckle 15+ years ago?

Boo Weekley had a personality back then too, arguably had a better career and..I'm not clamoring for him to be back on tour.

Sorry but I'm not buying all the "theres no one fun to root for on Tour" junk these days, makes me think lots of folks arent actually watching.

Got it👍

• Like 1

Driver: Wilson Whale

3 wd: Nickent 4DX

5 wd: Adams Faldo Series

7 wd: Warrior Tomahawk

9 wd:  Mastergrip OSC

11 wd: Goldwin 11

Irons 7-pw: Slotline Inertial E-Max

SW: Alien Shot Saver   LW: Hummingbird Air X 70 degree

Putter: Tour Edge T-Balance

Ball: Chromax Titanium

1 hour ago, bladehunter said:

No, that was John Daly you're describing.  Kim was a entitled and aggravating bro.  He may have been the OG Bro golfer in fact.

The best part was when Robert Allenby 💀 accused Kim of being out boozing. lol

https://vault.si.com/vault/2014/09/22/where-have-you-gone-anthony-kim

International team member Robert Allenby told reporters his "friends" had seen Kim coming back to his hotel "sideways" at 4 a.m. following the third day of competition. It was a dubious bit of hearsay—and Kim steadfastly denied any sort of drunken nocturnal escapade—but it got a lot of play because of his reputation. 

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, bcjim said:

No, that was John Daly you're describing.  Kim was a entitled and aggravating bro.  He may have been the OG Bro golfer in fact.

International team member Robert Allenby told reporters his "friends" had seen Kim coming back to his hotel "sideways" at 4 a.m. following the third day of competition. It was a dubious bit of hearsay—and Kim steadfastly denied any sort of drunken nocturnal escapade—but it got a lot of play because of his reputation. 

I'd argue that Daly and Kim are two sides of the same coin. Only difference is that John Daly watched too much Dukes of Hazard and thought he was a southern rebel. AK watched too much Yo MTV Raps! and thought himself a G. Both drinkers / partiers that thought rules were simply suggestions and that decorum was for squares and WASPs.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, bcjim said:

And yer myself and many many will tune into liv only to see AK play 🤣

Thats how bad it is!

AK will double their ratings.

Which isn’t saying much, I suppose 🤣

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

Thats how bad it is!

i doubt yall will watch the whole event though as the mumble rap will drive you away ;}

Edited by jimecherry
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, PedronNiall said:

People won't always remember what you say or do, but they'll always remember how you make them feel. 

Referencing the most accepted reporting on the policy: 

SmartSelect_20240126_123826_SamsungInternet.png.a0aefe54b5e50b3adbfc89de3ea473b2.png

AFAIK no one but Kim, his lawyers, and the insurer have actually seen the policy but all the old articles and the current info floating around about the talks with LIV indicate that's exactly what it states. He gets a payout only in he event of a believed career-ending injury but he can never play again or he has to pay it back in full. It makes sense as the money made in insurance comes by taking bets that they'll rarely have to pay out on or where they can vest the premiums and make money before a payout. Fits with policies on certain top models that have been covered in reputable news sources in the past.

Working with a number of people with these policies, he probably has been paid out already and is negotiating with the insurance company how much he has to pay back per start. They will let a player try and come back without jeopardizing the total payout. He migt be asking liv to pay it for him or even the tour, nothing is stopping him from going back on tour now.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Ferguson said:

I see your Kat Williams, Johnny Cash and Top Gun and raise you an Anwar Sadat, Lee Majors and Unforgiven. 

Sorry Fergie; that's a string bet. This is frowned upon. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Titleist TSR3 8° LA GOLF DJ 

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport LA GOLF P-Series 135

1 hour ago, bcjim said:

I will admit that I wasn’t around to see him first hand. Same as most of tigers  career. But the Ryder cup coverage involving him is some of my all time  favorite coverage and I’ve watch  it 100 times. Just like tigers us open win in 2001 and masters in 97 …. John only has couple events that come close. In my opinion.  

the quote makes think even less  of Allenby. He’s now down in Stephen Ames territory.  I’m anti drunk. But I loathe a hall monitor more. 

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 4

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

3 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

I will admit that I wasn’t around to see him first hand. Same as most of tigers  career. But the Ryder cup coverage involving him is some of my all time  favorite coverage and I’ve watch  it 100 times. Just like tigers us open win in 2001 and masters in 97 …. John only has couple events that come close. In my opinion.  

the quote makes think even less  of Allenby. He’s now down in Stephen Ames territory.  I’m anti drunk. But I loathe a hall monitor more. 

To this day I can’t believe someone ponied up the ransom after Allenby’s kidnapping!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, bscinstnct said:

Thats how bad it is!

Double is right!

This is both of them watching AK.🤣

image.png.46d36182a44d3ceec26f48990376765d.png

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Titleist TSR3 9° Tensei Pro Blue 60 

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

47 minutes ago, aenemated said:

func multiply(ratings: Float, by: Float) -> Float {
	return ratings * by
} 
let livRatings = multiply(ratings: 0.0, by: 2.0)
print(livRatings)

// Output: 0.0

I gave them a bit more credit than that.😏

Titleist TSR3 9° Tensei Pro Blue 60 

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

LIV took alot of great players from the PGA and DP but has virtually no viewership.  Most eyeballs are on the PGA Tour.  I personally have watched no more than 10 minutes total of LIV coverage since inception but watch TGC regularly.  Id tune in to watch AK if he went there.  Unless he starts shooting 75 or higher most folks would likely tune in to see if the same swashbuckler is there. 

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 9 Ventus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

What a baby thing to say. The guy who just beat me went out drinking last night. Okay so your saying you suck? 

• Like 1

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood

Irons: Ping Zings 2 -5 , Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 6 to 8

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  ,  Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  Wilson Sandy Andy (57 degrees)

Putter: Ping Pal or Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade. 

-

Ball:  high number Pro V1's

-

Other sets include:  1972 Wilson X31's 2 to PW , Hogan Redline's 1988  4 to E (no 7), 1988 Jack Nicklaus Super Eye-O-Matic (EOM) Persimmons

2 hours ago, GolfSRQ said:

I have not watched LIV yet, I would if Anthony Kim comes back.   Will he be as good as he was? probaly not, but he was a gamer, and played to win.

You want to witness real talent, check out AK's series of groundbreaking documentaries.   

"Climbing to new heights, The Catskills"

"Fertilizer, your silent but helpful friend"

13 hours ago, mosesgolf said:

LIV took alot of great players from the PGA and DP but has virtually no viewership.  Most eyeballs are on the PGA Tour.  I personally have watched no more than 10 minutes total of LIV coverage since inception but watch TGC regularly.  Id tune in to watch AK if he went there.  Unless he starts shooting 75 or higher most folks would likely tune in to see if the same swashbuckler is there. 

I dont think AK would even attempt a comeback unless he was regularly shooting low scores somewhere, Im sure he has matured and is well aware that the new Par for the Tour is anything in the 60's

10 hours ago, grm24 said:

Retief Goosen would like a word. 

Yep. Guilty there. I’m not sure if that was a brain fart or a fat finger. I know better. But there it is.  Should be 2000.   🤣. Ima stupid

Edited by bladehunter

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Man, if Anthony Kim come back, that would be amazing.  Last I read he still has his game and his swing hasn't changed, but no idea how that translates to being back on a tour.

People forget how much swag he had, but I know part of the reason he left wasn't just the insurance, it was that he essentially played to please his Dad.  My understanding is he's reconciled that, so for him to come back without that emotional baggage would be huge. 

• Like 2

• GwrxMod changed the title to Anthony Kim - Gawd I miss this guy (THREADS MERGED)
  • GwrxMod locked this topic
  • GwrxMod unlocked this topic