They have ruined the Swilcan Bridge at the Old Course

imakaveli

1 hour ago, bscinstnct said:

Here’s some heavy metal music for ya ; )

That’s what $2mil looks like jumping the streets of San Fran.   😂. Ford FE just lumbering along waiting for the chance to open it up on that dodge 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

3 minutes ago, TiScape said:

Haha. At the time the movie was made closer to $3k. Just sold at auction for $3.7 million! 

Oh yea. I was part of the thousands on the hunt for the one lost bullitt. That thing was urban legend for 25 years at least.  Along with lil red and the green hornet Shelby’s. Craig Jackson ended up owning all 3 I think. 

• Like 2

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

On 2/4/2023 at 3:22 PM, bladehunter said:

😂 yep. But it’s done nothing but defile me , and allow me to defile others . 

if everyone didn’t have a camera in their pocket.  I’d bet the grass would grow there. It seemed to for a couple hundred years 

If Arnold Palmer didn't have a cell phone, they wouldn't have had to re-sod right?

It's almost as if the primary way across the burn acts as a choke point and makes traffic. Weird.

image.png.95f6e3f509e63ddcecdf23dcb4ef0508.png

• Like 4

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

5 hours ago, Medson said:

Mods probably will clean the thread up. The first 2 pages of the thread are entertaining, I’m not exactly sure what this page is about. 

Well if the mods clean up all the threads that take a little detour, then one couldn’t play one of the best games on WRX!… Jump straight into page 3 and try to guess the original subject! Lol

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Fairways_and_Greens said:

If Arnold Palmer didn't have a cell phone, they wouldn't have had to re-sod right?

It's almost as if the primary way across the burn acts as a choke point and makes traffic. Weird.

/cdn-cgi/mirage/e6754be83f33ce46d419822af82453ceab259effa99f47ec308c124f16044950/1280/cdn-cgi/mirage/e6754be83f33ce46d419822af82453ceab259effa99f47ec308c124f16044950/1280/https://wrxcdn.golfwrx.com/uploads/monthly_2023_02/image.png.95f6e3f509e63ddcecdf23dcb4ef0508.png

Ok.  Let’s think all the way through this.  

before cell phones I do not believe most Tourists had camera crews following their groups like Arnold.  Maybe there would be a guy in the group with a cardboard Kodak , but I doubt highly that it was all groups or even most groups.  So now you have a 4 some doing the camera dance . They are at least upping the foot prints around the bridge  x4.  Each guy in the 4some will want a individual pic.   And then they’ll get a group pic.  That’s allot of in and out , on and off the bridge.  Have to get those likes man.  I’m simply saying I don’t believe that existed nearly  to this degree before say 1998.  But let’s argue your side and see how much sense it makes anyway . 

let’s say the camera thing is a non issue.  Ok.  Why does it make sense to extend the bridge ?  If it’s only foot traffic causing the wear at a choke point ,  as you say …… then won’t this simply move the wear out 30 feet to a new location ?  So the eye sore grows.  How is that a good thing ?  What kind of sense does it make ?  This isn’t reducing traffic. It’s just moving it’s start point.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Can "they" wreck the Swilcan bridge?

IMO it's "their" bridge and it's on "their" course in the land where "they" invented the game and where "they" make the Rules of Golf.  Maybe it's "us" who are on the outside here.

As @Fairways_and_Greens said above, the bridge is a natural choke point for getting across the burn.  As golf got more popular and the planet got more crowded over time,  we got a whole lot more feet going on and off the bridge compared to most of its existence.

Spreading the area in which people can walk on/off the bridge will reduce wear and tear.  Just look at some of the old pictures where the grass is worn out:  It's pretty much the size and shape of the new "patio" and after that there's not much damage.

I don't like the look of it, hopefully it grows in well, but otherwise no big deal.

1 hour ago, bladehunter said:

before cell phones I do not believe most Tourists had camera crews following their groups like Arnold.  Maybe there would be a guy in the group with a cardboard Kodak , but I doubt highly that it was all groups or even most groups.  So now you have a 4 some doing the camera dance . They are at least upping the foot prints around the bridge  x4.  Each guy in the 4some will want a individual pic.   And then they’ll get a group pic.  That’s allot of in and out , on and off the bridge.  Have to get those likes man.  I’m simply saying I don’t believe that existed nearly  to this degree before say 1998.  But let’s argue your side and see how much sense it makes anyway . 

let’s say the camera thing is a non issue.  Ok.  Why does it make sense to extend the bridge ?  If it’s only foot traffic causing the wear at a choke point ,  as you say …… then won’t this simply move the wear out 30 feet to a new location ?  So the eye sore grows.  How is that a good thing ?  What kind of sense does it make ?  This isn’t reducing traffic. It’s just moving it’s start point.  

What are you talking about? It’s clearly resodded in Arnie’s picture. This is a long time problem. They’ve tried astroturfing it in the past. Your phone take is pointless.

• Like 2

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

1 hour ago, bladehunter said:

Can’t imagine back in the day of going to bars/clubs and general mayhem and debauchery and you got everyone taking pictures!

As far as the bridge, that patio destroys the bridges entire provenance, if that’s the right word, and is abysmal.

Close it to to the public/tourist golfers, put in another bridge somewhere for them to use. 

Just use the bridge for the Open and other select events. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From the headlines, I assumed the bridge put on a pair of wine-colored joggers.  But now I see they added a patio at the walkup/staging area.  

The humanity!

• Haha 1

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* and 20* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Honma Rose Proto 4-9  (Bassara 50HI)

ProtoC P2 46.5* (Bassara 50HI)

Ping Glide 4 52* and 58* (BAssara 50HI)

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

I am enjoying this thread.   

Regarding my past observations and comments here at WRX in terms of very extensive art collections, I wish to provide a little insight as to perhaps why the circular entry path and landing area  was chosen. 

Circle as a basic shape has always enchanted the human mind. Many mathematicians and philosophers considered it the most perfect of all geometric shapes, while theologians felt it supernatural or divine. For the artist, the mysterious circle was always a thing of beauty and a joy forever. For them, the mystery element combined with the aesthetic one, producing varied meanings in various semiotic conventions. Circles appear in paintings either as a circle themselves or as their derivatives such as the sun, the moon, and other stellar orbs, as wheels, sundials, clock faces, as domes, vaults, spiral stairs, circular paths and what not.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

It was a mistake to use stone that appears to match the appearance of the bridge.  If they had used something else (small stones in concrete, or stamped concrete), it would have preserved the identity of the bridge.

As it is now, it is hideous.  And the residents of St Andrews don't seem to be happy about it either.

• Thanks 1
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

37 minutes ago, Ferguson said:

I am enjoying this thread.   

Regarding my past observations and comments here at WRX in terms of very extensive art collections, I wish to provide a little insight as to perhaps why the circular entry path and landing area  was chosen. 

Circle as a basic shape has always enchanted the human mind. Many mathematicians and philosophers considered it the most perfect of all geometric shapes, while theologians felt it supernatural or divine. For the artist, the mysterious circle was always a thing of beauty and a joy forever. For them, the mystery element combined with the aesthetic one, producing varied meanings in various semiotic conventions. Circles appear in paintings either as a circle themselves or as their derivatives such as the sun, the moon, and other stellar orbs, as wheels, sundials, clock faces, as domes, vaults, spiral stairs, circular paths and what not.

Ya, they should crank this ubiquitous 80s club tune at the ribbon cutting ceremony!

• Like 1

Looks good to me, they (hopefully) found a solution to a problem. If it doesn't work, they can remove it. The bridge has not been altered.

Taylormade Qi10 LS 9°(10°) - GD Tour AD UB 5

Taylormade BRNR 11.5°(13°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Mizuno T22 50° S Grind

Vokey SM8 56° D Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

3 hours ago, Fairways_and_Greens said:

What are you talking about? It’s clearly resodded in Arnie’s picture. This is a long time problem. They’ve tried astroturfing it in the past. Your phone take is pointless.

So move the re sodding out 30 feet is your stance and goal ?  I’m simply pointing out that the re sodding obviously became a problem lately. Do we agree there ?  Do you know how often they did it in arnies day ?  Once a year. Every 3 ?  What made it finally come to a head ?  Think hard.  

and then I attack the solution to the new issue. Which is to move the re sodding problem out 30  ish feet .  This doesn’t cure the bald spot.  It moves it. 

ever been around cows ?  People are alot like them in this way.  They’ll follow other cows anywhere.  And they’ll do it on the same path religiously.   Every pasture of more than 2-3 years has a cow trail.  It’s about 20 inches wide at most.  And they all use it.  This is the same.  The issue is traffic volume and the rehearsed and repeated circular traffic at the bridge for pics.  

Edited by bladehunter

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Very entertaining thread. Thank you WRX community. I really needed a chuckle today.

Way too many issues to parse out here. But for the record...

Visiting St. Andrews and taking a photo of yourself on the Swilcan Bridge is about the weakest move you can make. I mean, really, you need that to prove to yourself and others that you played St. Andrews. Honestly, no one else cares.

Just tell them you played the course and let them move on to the hor d'oeuvres. They will thank you for the favor.

At the end of the day, I'm thinking a replica Payne Stewart would do nicely in the middle of the new patio area. A nice non-sequitur to remind all of us about the daily absurdity of post-modern life...

Payne Stewart, Pinehurst — Zenos Frudakis

Edited by jholz
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Cleveland Launcher HB 10.5* - Stock Miyazaki C. Kua 50 Stiff
Callaway Diablo Octane Tour 13* - Aldila NV 75 Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* - Accra Dymatch M5 75
Mizuno F-50 18* - Stock Stiff
or
Callaway Diablo Edge Tour Hybrid 21* - Aldila NV 85 Stiff
Callaway RAZR Tour Hybrid 24* - Stock XStiff