2024 Bag Is Set Challenge (BISC) Thread!!!

Dan Drake

My secondary question, is there a record to be established for bag changes in a year?

back when I “had a problem” I think I went thru 6 iron sets in one 7 month season if memory serves

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Cally AI Smoke 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

Going to the PXG Heros Black Ops event tonight, but I promised the wife I wasn't buying anything. I'm just looking to hit stuff on the simulator and I've never been to Envision Golf before. But this is an event that could affect my bag. 

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

Played my first round of the year today, I might actually have a chance this year!

There was some chat about a new driver on the 17th tee though. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

Oh boy, heading to my favorite golf store today

• Like 3

Scotty GoLo

Got about 8" of snow today so I still haven't played yet and won't be for quite a while. Took the 53* and 60* out of my bag and added another Hybrid and a 56* wedge. I do too many stupid things with a 60* wedge and will be way better off without it. 

• Like 2

Driver: Titleist TSR1 12*

FW Woods: Titleist TSR1 15*, 18*, 20*, 23*

Irons: Titleist T350 5-P 23*-43*

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM8 50.12F*, 56.14F*

Putter: Titleist SC Super Select Newport 2

Well I played my first round yesterday so let’s see how long it is before something changes 🙄

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 tour regular
Taylormade Rescue Dual 22 Stiff
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Taylormade MySpider Tour X plumber’s neck
Pro v1

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

1 hour ago, cardoustie said:

Oh boy, heading to my favorite golf store today

Please report your findings to us.

• Like 2

Mizuno ST-Z 220 10.5* - Tensei Blue Raw AV 65S

Ping G425 5w 16.5* - Alta CB 65S, Ping G425 7w 19.5* - Tensei Orange AV Raw 75S

Mizuno CLK 22* & 25* - Tensei CK Blue 70S

Mizuno 919 HMP 5i-PW - Recoil 95 F4, Mizuno T22 54 & 58 - Recoil 95 F4

Odyssey 2 Ball Ten White Hot Tour Insert

On 1/2/2024 at 12:06 AM, Roejye said:

I suppose I could use some clarification from the committee. I have a Sunday bag that I throw a few clubs in to try and force myself to be more mindful when I practice. Since that is probably going to be what I start my year with, then switch over to a full bag when I play actual rounds, would I then be out when I start my first round?

On 1/2/2024 at 7:44 AM, deadsolid...shank said:

I need a ruling. 

Played with my listed bag for the first round of the year. But I really wanted to hit the new driver. So I took it to the range with me when I went to warm up and hit it a few times. Then put it back in the pickup. 

DQ or still good?

The bag is "set" with whatever clubs (no more than 14 please and thank you) you have in your bag when you make your first "golf-like" activity of the new year.  From that point on, you can practice, demo, get fit, buy, sell, lust, list, fiddle, faddle, fondle, waggle, wiggle, touch, tickle, piddle with, poke, prod, look at, and whatever else you want to do with whatever golf clubs you want to do it with.  

You just can't take them on course and play a round of golf with them.  If you do, you're like Heidi Klum says about fashion - "One day you are in, the next day you are out!"  (apologies for not being able to properly type out her accent.  Or other features.)

The rationale for this is that there is such a huge difference in season length depending on where you live.  The very first year of the BISC was just your first round of green grass golf, but some folks didn't have to stress nearly hard enough during the first few months, or last few months, of the year.  This way, it sucks pretty evenly for everyone.  If @Roejye plays his first round of the year with a Sunday set, then his first round without that Sunday set boots him  from the challenge.  Alternatively, @deadsolid...shank can practice with as many drivers as he wants (as long as the first golf-like activity was with his gamers) and still be in the BISC.  But the second he puts one of those backup drivers in play on course, he's toast.  

P.S. - The ONLY grey/gray area of this entire thing is whether or not simulator rounds count as rounds that can eliminate you from the BISC, or if they qualify as "practice."  I'll have to discuss that with the committee, so for now just use your BISC set for these as well so as not to foul-up your chances at victory.  Either way, the first sim round of the year WOULD "set" your bag, so be careful with your early season foolin' around, as it can set you up for a long year of sadness and sorrow!

• Like 4

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

4 minutes ago, Dan Drake said:

The bag is "set" with whatever clubs (no more than 14 please and thank you) you have in your bag when you make your first "golf-like" activity of the new year.  From that point on, you can practice, demo, get fit, buy, sell, lust, list, fiddle, faddle, fondle, waggle, wiggle, touch, tickle, piddle with, poke, prod, look at, and whatever else you want to do with whatever golf clubs you want to do it with.  

You just can't take them on course and play a round of golf with them.  If you do, you're like Heidi Klum says about fashion - "One day you are in, the next day you are out!"  (apologies for not being able to properly type out her accent.  Or other features.)

The rationale for this is that there is such a huge difference in season length depending on where you live.  The very first year of the BISC was just your first round of green grass golf, but some folks didn't have to stress nearly hard enough during the first few months, or last few months, of the year.  This way, it sucks pretty evenly for everyone.  If @Roejye plays his first round of the year with a Sunday set, then his first round without that Sunday set boots him  from the challenge.  Alternatively, @deadsolid...shank can practice with as many drivers as he wants (as long as the first golf-like activity was with his gamers) and still be in the BISC.  But the second he puts one of those backup drivers in play on course, he's toast.  

P.S. - The ONLY grey/gray area of this entire thing is whether or not simulator rounds count as rounds that can eliminate you from the BISC, or if they qualify as "practice."  I'll have to discuss that with the committee, so for now just use your BISC set for these as well so as not to foul-up your chances at victory.  Either way, the first sim round of the year WOULD "set" your bag, so be careful with your early season foolin' around, as it can set you up for a long year of sadness and sorrow!

Looks like I made two days then instead of 11 hours!😀

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 1/6/2024 at 12:19 PM, cardoustie said:

My secondary question, is there a record to be established for bag changes in a year?

back when I “had a problem” I think I went thru 6 iron sets in one 7 month season if memory serves

Great question @cardoustie!  There are two documented records of complete & utter failure that we know of, although there are almost unlimited ways that a true WRX'er could unabashedly and abjectly go down in flames attempting this ridiculous endeavor, so we will want to continue collecting as many samples of said misery as possible.  

1. (Possibly) Initial season of (and perhaps reason for continued participation in) BISC: Dan Drake - Played 21 rounds in a calendar year, and at no point had the same bag setup as any other round from said calendar year.  Literally a 100% failure rate.  Sad. 

2. And for a slightly different take on complete and total disaster, @Mccaria was kind enough to set the bar for us in the following manner just last year: 

For the 7 rounds played to date in January I have used :

5 x sets of irons (Mavrik Pros today, T100, TCB, MP223, Apex 18 MB). That’s every set in the garage played at least once. 7 irons per set GW-5 iron. 

2 x 4 woods ( Mavrik sub zero, TM Stealth)

1 x 5 wood (Epic Flash)

2 x 7 woods (Mavrik, TM Stealth)

5 x hybrids (Callaway Epic 20,23,26 Ping 425 22, TS3 25)

1 x driving iron (Callaway 24’)

I feel like his EOY tallies would have been particularly interesting to delve into, but let's be honest, what human alive could possibly have kept up such a historic pace for an entire year?  It really does give us a glimpse into the MadNEsS though, no?  Just don't stare too long, you'll burn out your retinas........   

Edited by Dan Drake
  • Like 1

'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

5 minutes ago, deadsolid...shank said:

Looks like I made two days then instead of 11 hours!😀

The good news is you now have 364 (leap year and all) to get your bag ready for the 2025 BISC!  

• Haha 1

'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

1 hour ago, Dan Drake said:

The good news is you now have 364 (leap year and all) to get your bag ready for the 2025 BISC!  

The last two years have been really good for me in the challenge,  I’ve made it til March or April (I won’t mention the foot of snow we had on the ground from December forward). Who would have thought we’d get to play on New Years Day this year

Edited by deadsolid...shank
  • Like 2

Brief query, as I finally finish up this iron shaft swap for my irons and wedges:  Do loft and lie adjustments on the same clubs count as a "change" for purposes of this challenge?  Related, does tinkering with an adjustable hosel count as a "change"?

Thanks.

• Like 1

Thanks @Dan Drake,I pretty much figured that was the case so . . .

Philadelphia 76Ers Basketball GIF

I'm most likely going to go full AI on the off-season practice it looks like. (My back seems to be making this decision, more than the BISC unfortunately)

• Like 1

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

3 minutes ago, Jayjay_theweim_guy said:

Brief query, as I finally finish up this iron shaft swap for my irons and wedges:  Do loft and lie adjustments on the same clubs count as a "change" for purposes of this challenge?  Related, does tinkering with an adjustable hosel count as a "change"?

Thanks.

Just looked back at first post with the rules. Rule #5 states that loft/lie/ grip changes are allowed 

• Thanks 2

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

60°- Lazrus

1) 1W:  G425 Max, 1k Orange 60X

2) 3W: Rogue ST TD-T, AV White 75X

3) 5W: TSI3, 1k Black 75X

4) 21°Hybrid:  TSR2, 1k Black HYB 95X

5-10) 4-Iron - 9-iron: i210, LA Golf L-Series 4-flex.

11-12) 46° (bent from 48°) & 51° (bent from 52°) Jaws MD5, 10 bounce, S Grind.  LA Golf L-Series Wedge shaft 4 flex

13) 56° Jaws MD5 10/S, LA Golf L-series W shaft.

14) L.A.B. DF 2.1 with Accra white shaft.

Irons + hybrids are 3/8"-1/2" over standard.

I've swappable candidates---the 3-iron of this set is about to have a CK Orange 95TX stuffed in it, at about 39.75" long---but the above is what I'm rolling with right now.  With maybe a loft and lie adjustment or three.

I love these threads still exist. Dan I appreciate you keeping up with this. I tired once to run one of these threads in college and failed miserably. 

Driver: g400 max

5 wood: 410

7 wood: 410

hybrid: g25 23

irons g400 5-U

Wedge Tour S 56

Chipr

Karsten Series Craz-e 

G400 Max 9* Ping tour 65r   

G410 17.5* Atmos Blue 7r

G25 23* oban devotion

G400 5-U AWT 2.0

Tour-W 56* AWT

Karsten Craz-e

Black Hoofer C-1 

K Sig

14 hours ago, gator022 said:

Please report your findings to us.

New ventus black TR 5x …

and a near mint set of eye 2’s  … 3-SW .. red dot .. $99 I kid you not

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Scotty GoLo

I'm already in but here's officially what I decided on for my bag. Haven't had any golf activities in the new year so I'm still in.

Drivers

Taylormade SIM MAX D 9° turned down 1 click Diamana PD 50 R

Taylormade SIM MAX D 10.5° turned up 2 clicks Project X Riptide cb 50 r

Advancement clubs 

Cobra radspeed 5 wood

Tour Edge Exotics e722 3 hybrid 

Tour edge ex9 4 and 5 hybrids 

Irons

6-AW Cleveland Launcher xl's with Nippon Zelos 7 shafts

56° Cleveland CBX Zipcore with stock steel shaft

Odyssey eleven tour lined with the strokelab shaft

Causes for concern, large depends on how much ot I can get to pay off my splurges/holiday gifts. I'm very happy with my equipment, and feel like I can complete this challenge. 

Causes for concern- the urge to tinker can be strong, and there always seems to be what looks like a great deal. 

Causes for confidence- the aforementioned splurges and I'm hoping the adjustability of the 5 wood will help satiate the tinkering urge, as I'm kinda thinking about delofting it a little after testing it vs the 3 hybrid. 

Finally,  I'm very grateful to @Dan Drake for A) continuing to run these threads, and B) Not including balls in the mix because then I would most likely be out after my first shot of my first round. 

• Like 1

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

60°- Lazrus

It’s winter golf here in the UK - if golf balls were included as part of this I’d likely be out before I finished my first round as I just use whatever comes out my bag!

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 tour regular
Taylormade Rescue Dual 22 Stiff
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Taylormade MySpider Tour X plumber’s neck
Pro v1

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

I’ll try this again.  Two rounds in this year with the same clubs, hopefully I do better than last year:

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond

3 wood:  PXG 0211 15 degree

Hybrid:  PXG 0211 19 degree

Irons:  PXG Gen 6 5-GW

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX Zip Core 54 and 58 degrees

Putter:  Seemore Mini Giant DF

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond
PXG 0211 (15)

PXG 0211 (19)
PXG Gen 6 0311P 5-AW
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54, 58
Seemore Mini Giant DF

On 12/17/2023 at 9:12 PM, Auleran87 said:

Yeah I've got no chance.

Driver:  TSR2 9 - Ventus TR Red 6s
2W: Mini Driver 11.5 - Ventus Blue 8x
5W: Sim Ti - Ventus Black 8x

3i: P760 - Project X LZ 6.0 (Bent 1.5 weak)

5i-PW: -760 - Project X LZ 6.0

Vokey 50F08, 54S10, 60T04
Putter: TaylorMade Spider

Ball: ProV1

The Irons have definitely stayed in the bag the longest. Most at risk position is the putter (have my eyes on LAB), and wedges because my 54 is getting old

I'm done. Switched 5W out for Ping G425 3 hybrid with Ventus HB Blue 9x
Switched 3i out with Srixon ZX utility
Switched Putter out with LAB Link
Switched 60T04 out with 58M08

Oh well.. maybe next year!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

OUT.

I was killing time on the Global Golf website Friday night and they had a LH Stealth2 3HL in certified Preowned Mint condition for $249. I was about to move on but then I saw they had a 25% off Preowned clubs code. Then I see another code for 20% off FWs… “surely they won’t accept both” I thought, but lo and behold, they did. The price went down to $152.

I don’t even need a 16.5* FW, but I’m a weak man… I hit Place Order. I did last 5 days though!

Edited by john myrbch
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 54-12

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 58-10

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

19 minutes ago, john myrbch said:

OUT.

I was killing time on the Global Golf website Friday night and they had a LH Stealth2 3HL in certified Preowned Mint condition for $249. I was about to move on but then I saw they had a 25% off Preowned clubs code. Then I see another code for 20% off FWs… “surely they won’t accept both” I thought, but lo and behold, they did. The price went down to $152.

I don’t even need a 16.5* FW, but I’m a weak man… I hit Place Order. I did last 5 days though!

Until it's in the bag during a "golf activity", methinks you're technically still in the challenge, even though you might already be out in spirit. Nice score!

Edited by Mych
  • Like 4

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

I definitely failed last year! I really thought I had a chance. Let’s see how far I can make it this year.

Lumber 

Driver - TSR3 8 Degree, Ventus Red TR 8X

4 Wood - TSi2 Ventus Blue 8X

3 Hybrid - Sim2 Tensei Orange 90TX

Irons

Taylormade P790 4&5 MMT 125TX

Taylormade P7MC Raw 6-PW MMT 125TX

Wedges 

MG4 50 & 54 MMT 125TX

SM9 58.04 T Grind MMT 125TX

Putter 

Lajosi DD201 with Garsen Quad Tour Pistol Grip

Causes for concern

I have never completed this challenge and usually will want to try something new.
Prediction 

If I can make it to the end of summer, I think that is success. Hopefully I will have momentum to get to the end of the year if I make it that far. 

Driver:  TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X 

Fairway: TSR3 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  Sim2 Tensei Orange 90TX Or Srixon ZX 2 Iron 105X

Irons:Black T200 4-5 T100S 6-AW MMT 125TX

Wedges: MG4 54 MMT 125TX and Vokey SM9 58.04T MMT 125TX

Putter: Lajosi DD201

Pro V1X Left Dash

On 1/6/2024 at 2:50 PM, Bye said:

Played my first round of the year today, I might actually have a chance this year!

There was some chat about a new driver on the 17th tee though. 

Your screen name makes me think that’s what you’ll be saying in this thread by February 1! Jk. 

Edited by JAM01
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/8/2024 at 5:22 PM, john myrbch said:

OUT.

On 1/8/2024 at 5:41 PM, Mych said:

Until it's in the bag during a "golf activity", methinks you're technically still in the challenge, even though you might already be out in spirit. Nice score!

Whew! Your reply made me so happy I ordered a Paradym 7W to pair up with the TM 16.5*!

• Haha 1

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX 923 HM 6-AW 

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 54-12

PING Tour Issue Glide 4.0 Raw 58-10

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5