Yardage book or gps/rangefinder?

Not really a debate on which is better, but which do you prefer and why? Mainly for your home course (or at least courses you play more than once a month).

For me I play 2-3 courses pretty regularly, and while I enjoy the simplicity of a GPS or laser, I have found that on occasions when I have played using a yardage book (professional printed purchased at the course or hand sketched through numerous rounds) that I play more high percentage shots and manage my misses much better than when I just grab a number and hit. I don't take a bunch of extra time when using a book, I just manage my idle time a little better. Seems the visual reminders of where to hit it, how much room I have and where not to hit it help me make better decisions than just visual cues and a yardage to the front/middle/back.

What's your preference and experiences?

Comments

• Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,260 ✭✭
    Laser. Yardage books are fun but I don't have all day to walk distances off and do math in my head.
    WITB
    Epic SZ HZRDUS Smoke 60 6.5
    LTD  Proforce 75F5
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW KBS Tour 120 FLT
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 58/12SS Modus 125 Wedge
    TP Black Copper Juno w/ PX 7.0 Wedge
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

• golfgirlrobingolfgirlrobin Members Posts: 2,309 ✭✭
    GPS/Rangefinder. I don’t have the patience for yardage books and stepping off yardages.
    Driver: Ping G400 Max 10.5*
    Fairway: Epic Flash 14* & 20*
    Hybrid: Ping G410 22*
    Irons: TaylorMade M CGB 6-SW
    Wedges: Callaway 2019 PM Grind 59* and 64*
    Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch
    Ball:  Titleist Pro V1
  • tsecortsecor Loading........ Members Posts: 4,135 ✭✭
    neither. eyeball it and let it rip
  • davep043davep043 Members Posts: 3,101 ✭✭
    edited Jun 28, 2018 #5
    I use a laser regularly, both at my home club and when I travel. But I love yardage books, and collect them when I play new courses. I honestly like a combination. I can get a "middle" distance from a yardage book, and pin distance with the laser, and try to pick the smart distance to hit. I like the awareness of the entire hole layout that a good yardage book gives. The best I've found were just recently in Scotland, the StrokeSaver books had a ton of information on green contours that really helped in selecting a target on the green. You can see a sample here:

http://www.strokesaver.co.uk/dundonald_links_2014

Playing in the wind, there was no need for very precise measurements, I bet I didn't use the laser more than a dozen times in 10 rounds.
  • kmay__kmay__ Members Posts: 254 ✭✭
    I just use the fairway markers, pretty easy to tell I find, but I'm also not at the level of playing where I know my exact club yardages, nor do I accomplish the exact shot every time with every club. Cant stomach the price of a laser finder at my level of play.
    TM 17' M2 9.5*
    Cobra Baffler 3w 16*
    PING G30 4h 22*
    TM R11 5 - PW
    Mizuno MP-T5 50*, 54*
    Callaway PM Grind 60* (the greasy Phil)
    SC studio select Newport 2 mid-slant
  • walpywalpy Members Posts: 357 ClubWRX
    I use both. Laser and yardage books. I make mine normally.
    Callaway 816 DBD 9* w/ Aldila Rogue i/o 60S

Callaway 816 14* w/ Aldila Rogue i/o 70S

Cllaway Steelhead XR 5-wood w/ Tensei CK 55S

Titleist 695MB 3, 5-PW w/ DG S300

Vokey 50.12, 54.10, 58.08

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback

Titleist ProV1x
  • macedanmacedan Members Posts: 217 ✭✭
    tsecor wrote:

neither. eyeball it and let it rip

This, or if I remember to charge my phone the night before I often use the 18 Birdies GPS. Proves to be fairly accurate in my area and honestly has helped me improve a decent amount.
    Ping G400 10*
    Mizuno ST180 3W 15*
    Taylormade Aeroburner 5W 18*
    Ping G Crossover 21*
    Taylormade Rocketbladez (5-PW)
    Cleveland CBX 50/11
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54/10
    Cleveland RTX-3 58/9
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black
    Taylormade RBZ Urethane | Project A
    Bag: Taylormade Flextech Lite Black/Green
  • jjbubba72jjbubba72 Members Posts: 80 ✭✭
    I use a combo of laser and pin location chart.
  • NaptimeNaptime Members Posts: 609 ✭✭
  • gc444gc444 Lefty Boomers Posts: 408 ✭✭
    Laser, but not opposed to using GPS though.
  • Ri_RedneckRi_Redneck Leather for Life!! Members Posts: 5,448 ✭✭
    Garmin Approach S6. Front, middle, back, layup and hole diagram with hazards. Just can't get the pin. Need a laser for that.
    Bag 1
    F7 9.5* - Aldila Copperhead 70TX @ 44.5
    King LTD Blk 14.5* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43
    King LTD Blk 19* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5
    Mizuno MP15 4-pw - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
    Mizuno MP-T5 Black 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge

Bag 2
    Mizuno ST180 9.5* - Diamana Kai'Li 70 X
    Mizuno GPX850 14.5* - Motore Speeder TS 7.3 S
    Mizuno GPX850 20* - Motore Speeder TS 8.3
    Mizuno MP25 4-pw - Recoil Proto 125 F4
    Mizuno MP-T5 Satin 52, 56, & 60 TT Wedge
  • sheppy335sheppy335 TMAG Junkie Members Posts: 6,343 ✭✭
    I will use all, GPS and yardage book really make me feel good.
    TM M3 440 TP 10 Mitsubishi Kai'li
    TM M2 Tour 15 Kuro Kage
    TM M1 Tour 18 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
    TM TP UDI 2 iron 18 UST Recoil 110
    TM TP UDI 3 iron 20 Paderson KINETXX 950
    TM RSi TP UDI 4 iron 23 Aldila Trinity 65
    TM P790 6,7 Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM P790 Black 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM xFT TP 50 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Milled Grind Black Wedge 54 Nippon Pro Black WV115
    TM ATV HP 58 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

I drop the 2 iron or one of the other UDI's based on course.
  • McgeenoMcgeeno Members Posts: 1,962 ✭✭
    Do you have a compass and protractor for the yardage book like Deschambeau?

GPS.
  • LaymanMLaymanM Cincinnati, OHMembers Posts: 2,123 ✭✭
    Laser with no slope. GPS with an overhead map is helpful on a course I've never played but 99.9% just play with laser
    PING G410 9* PX Evenflow Black 75 6.0
    PING G410 LST 3w PX Evenflow Black 85 6.0
    PING G410 5w PX Evenflow Black 85 6.0
    PING G410 4-PW AWT 2 0 stiff
    PING Stealth Glide 2.0 50ss/54ss/58ss
    PING Sigam G Tyne
  • Tex1986Tex1986 Members Posts: 1,771 ✭✭
    Laser.

It gives me all the info I need. I can get yardages to bunkers, hazards, different parts of green, etc in addition to distances to flag.

I’ve never used a yardage book, but with tee boxes getting shifted, and my ball not always landing next to a marker or land mark, I’m not sure what a yardage book would offer that a range finder couldn’t give me.
  • Hit em goodHit em good Hit em good Members Posts: 2,098 ✭✭
    I've never had a yardage book, so I'll say my GPS.

It's gotten annoying to me to see the pros on TV continually pull out their yardage books. For some, it looks like a habit, like when my teenager continually looks at his phone.
    Driver: 07 Burner TP
    4 wood: Ping G25
    7 wood: Ping G25
    23° hybrd:  Ping G25
    5i - pw: Mizuno MP64
    Wedges 50° / 54° / 58°: Cleveland Rotex 2.0 (2 dot , 3 dot , 2 dot)
    Putter: Ping Redwood Anser
    Ball: Titleist Pro v1x / Pro v1
    Bag: Titlest Stand Bag / 4 way top
  • Dan DrakeDan Drake Members Posts: 1,965 ✭✭
    I am not a fan of lasers for the vast majority of golfers, and I'll tell you why. I firmly believe that having the exact number to the pin leads to far to many people playing for only their best shots (the top tip of their shot/scatter pattern) to even come close to being a good shot. Shots bury in greenside bunkers, in rough, and in hazards, even though they may have been reasonably executed attempts.

Much preferred, at least to me, is GPS/Yardage book. Find out the middle to middle-back yardage to the green and start your calculations there. Also, you need to know how deep the green is a different points and angles to come up with the best number for the center of your shot/scatter pattern. Sure, this can be done by someone playing their home course where they get a bunch of rounds a year in. But on a blind or even seldom played course, no chance.

How many of us have played the typical "upside down triangle" shaped green with two bunkers guarding the narrow front third of the green? You laser it and now you are trying to fit a shot onto a spot where you need to be a tour-quality ball striker to hit that spot consistently. But you lasered it and you know your yardages, right? So, you make a birdie or two, but you also bury it in the two bunkers over and over again, making bogies (and doubles) all while the frustration mounts. But just 6 paces back from that front hole location the green widens out to 25 yards across and all of the sudden, you just about can't end up with worse than a 45' chip back towards the hole, and the majority of the time you'll have a 20' - 25' birdie putt coming back at it.

nGIR is the #1 stat that correlates to score. Play a round using the yardage exactly between the middle of green yardage and the back edge yardage (except in very drastic or obvious situations) and see if your round isn't more fun and your score a lot lower. To me, those numbers are just hard to get with a laser.
    Epic Flash SZ 10.5° w/AD BB
    Epic Flash 15° w/Rogue Max
    X Forged UT 18° & 21° w/PX
    Apex Pro '19 5-A w/PX
    PM Grind 2.0 54° W w/PX & PM Grind 1.0 58° w/DG
    Toulon Austin
    171831.png
  • byflow2byflow2 Members Posts: 132 ✭✭
    Laser here. Yardage books are fun though
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra Fly Z 9.5 Stock Stiff Shaft[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Callaway XR 15* Project X 6.0 [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra Utility 18* Aldia rouge 65g S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon 565 4,5 - Srixon 6-PW Dynamic Gold AMT S300[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cleveland RTX2.0 52* [/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cleveland RTX2.0 56*[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cleveland RTX2.0 60*[/font]
    Bettinardi [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Queen Bee #9[/font]
  • Drewmiller07Drewmiller07 Members Posts: 157 ✭✭
    byflow2 wrote:

Laser here. Yardage books are fun though

I do really enjoy just using a book. I find the garmin gps gets you close, but you can really pin point distance with a yardage book.

I don’t use a range finder as it would be even better than both the other two. Not that I wouldn’t, I just haven’t bought one because my gps does the job.
  • Golf64Golf64 Go Habs Go! Ontario, CanadaMembers Posts: 7,721 ✭✭
    My S2 does the job for me. image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />
    All Mizuno bag for this year.
    ST-190 Driver, 3/5 wood
    919F 4-pw Nippon 105R
    S18 50, 54, 60
    Spider X putter
    TP5(2018)

Super Bowl LII Champions
    Fly Eagles Fly
  • BForresterBForrester Unregistered Posts: 1,261
    Rangefinder. It's nice to be able to shoot anything on a hole and get an exact yardage. Some GPS can do that, some can't. I don't have to worry about finding satellites, paying subscription fees, loading courses, etc.
    Taylormade M1 8.5o Aldila Tour Green 70x 44"
    Taylormade RBZ 3w 15o Aldila Tour Blue 70x
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19o R-Flex
    Mizuno JPX-850 Forged 4-GW DG S300
    Mizuno S5 (54, 58)
    Odyssey Tank Cruiser #1
  • Ri_RedneckRi_Redneck Leather for Life!! Members Posts: 5,448 ✭✭
    My problem is getting those pin placement books from the pro shop. They look at me funny every time I ask for one. Cork Soakers!!!

BT
    Bag 1
    F7 9.5* - Aldila Copperhead 70TX @ 44.5
    King LTD Blk 14.5* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43
    King LTD Blk 19* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5
    Mizuno MP15 4-pw - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
    Mizuno MP-T5 Black 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge

Bag 2
    Mizuno ST180 9.5* - Diamana Kai'Li 70 X
    Mizuno GPX850 14.5* - Motore Speeder TS 7.3 S
    Mizuno GPX850 20* - Motore Speeder TS 8.3
    Mizuno MP25 4-pw - Recoil Proto 125 F4
    Mizuno MP-T5 Satin 52, 56, & 60 TT Wedge
  • ThinkingPlusThinkingPlus South TexasClubWRX Posts: 1,544 ClubWRX
    Laser rangefinder provides the most accurate distance to target. I want to minimize all error sources so distance measurement needs to be accurate. Given how I am having to judge wind, elevation change, lie, temperature, etc... I don't need the additonal error of GPS or walking off steps relative to a yardage book that is only accurate relative to course features at best.
    Driver: Callaway GBB Epic 9° w/Project X HZRDUS T800 65 gm 6.0 flex
    3W: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Evenflow 5.5 Graphite R-flex
    Hybrids: Callaway Apex 3h, 4h w/MR Kuro Kage 80HY S-flex
    Irons: Maltby TS-1 5i-GW w/KBS Tour R-flex
    Sand Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM7 54/08 M Grind w/KBS Tour R-Flex
    Lob Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM6 58/04 L Grind w/TT Wedge Flex
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X w/Super Stroke Mid Slim 2.0
    Ball: Titleist AVX in yellow
  • ByeBye Members Posts: 1,311 ✭✭
    Laser, I tried gps, it was ok but I wasn’t pin high very often, gps is useful especially when you have a pin sheet or combined with a laser.

The battery went flat in my laser during a match last year, it was actually fun going old school and pacing out the distances, just for one round.
    Taylormade 2017 M1 10.5 - Aldila Rogue Silver 70X - 44.5 inches
    Callaway Rogue 3 Wood - Aldila Rogue Silver 70X
    Titleist 816 H2 20 degrees - Aldila Rogue Black 85X
    Titleist 716CB 4-9 - X100
    Vokey 46.08, 50.08 - X100
    Vokey 56S, 60M - S300
    Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2.5
    Titleist Pro V1
  • evgolferevgolfer Members Posts: 186 ✭✭
    I use an old Bushnell neo plus gps. Gives front, middle, back. There's a feature for distance to hazards that I haven't used. Very quick to pull out, look at, and keep moving.

I have hand drawn a yardage book for a course I sometimes play. It helped me visualize a strategy for the course, but I didn't use it -- and frankly wasn't good enough to capitalize on the strategy.
  • NEhomerNEhomer Members Posts: 203
    kmay__ wrote:

I just use the fairway markers, pretty easy to tell I find, but I'm also not at the level of playing where I know my exact club yardages, nor do I accomplish the exact shot every time with every club. Cant stomach the price of a laser finder at my level of play.

What actually happens is that you become aware of your club distances after spending time with the laser rangefinder instead of the other way around.

I got my Nikon Coolshot 40 for $130.00 on ebay. Money well spent.

As for the OP's question, I've never seen a yardage book.
  • evgolferevgolfer Members Posts: 186 ✭✭
    NEhomer wrote:

kmay__ wrote:

What actually happens is that you become aware of your club distances after spending time with the laser rangefinder instead of the other way around.

I got my Nikon Coolshot 40 for $130.00 on ebay. Money well spent.

As for the OP's question, I've never seen a yardage book.

I agree with this. I was skeptical of the utility of GPS, etc. back in the mid-2000s, until a course I played regularly added GPS to the carts. It had auto-shot advance, and would tell you how far you hit each shot. It was an eye-opener, and very useful, and so much quicker than looking for markers/sprinkler heads.

I bought a handheld GPS shortly after.
  • BlackDiamondPar5BlackDiamondPar5 Members Posts: 5,210 ✭✭
    GPS supplemented by periodic use of laser for specific features (distance to tree on corner, layup area, hedge row, pin on par 3).
  • Twism86Twism86 Members Posts: 397 ✭✭
    If you play a course so often, why do you even need a rangefinder? At my local course I pretty much know what club to it from various point after playing it many times.

Im also not that good and cant dial any club in to a 5 yard range. I play along the lines of "I can hit the green with a 7i from here." Im no where near the point of being good where I would use 7i for the front or 6i for the back edge of the green.
    TM AeroBurner 9.5*
    TM SpeedBlades 4-PW
    Odyssey White Hot RX #1
    A bunch of random wedges
  • cmckelvmicmckelvmi ClubWRX Posts: 104 ClubWRX
    I have never seen a yardage book and would love to use one to see if it makes a difference. I have a cell phone holder on my push cart and will use the SwingXSwing app. The app keeps my score and I can see hazards and trees with pretty good ease of use. I have a Procision Pro NX7 Pro that I use a few times during a round to double check yardages. Actually, the most common way I use the range finder is shooting back at the tee box to see how far my tee shot went.