Pros that use a center shafted putter?

King_SlenderKing_Slender Members Posts: 1,431 ✭✭
I just switched to an Odyssey 2M-CS because it just fit my eye and stroke after playing for years with a putter with more toe flow (Cameron Newport 2, etc.), but I can't think of a player on Tour using a center shafted putter.

Why are they so rare?

Comments

• Bomber_11Bomber_11 Enjoy the Chase. ClubWRX Posts: 3,527 ClubWRX
    Isn't Zach Johnson's SeeMore putter center shafted?
    Ping G400 Max 9* w/ Tensei Pro Orange 60TX
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15° w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX
    PXG 0311X 2i w/ KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 105S+
    Mizuno JPX919 Tour 3-PW w/ DG Tour Issue X100
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50F/54S/60D w/ Pink DG S400
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Button Back
    Jones x Greyson Stand Bag

Work. Play. Win. Repeat.
  • King_SlenderKing_Slender Members Posts: 1,431 ✭✭
    Bomber_11 wrote:

Isn't Zach Johnson's SeeMore putter center shafted?

Yeah, that's one I forgot about.
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,072 ✭✭
    edited Jul 10, 2018 #4
    Barnrat !! Duffner, Luke Donald.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,072 ✭✭
    Adam Scott too when he anchored.
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • rafalrafal Members Posts: 5,769 ✭✭
    He's anchoring again so might go back to it.
    TM M4 10.5* Matrix Ozik HD6 S
    TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S
    TM M4 Rescue 3&4
    Titleist AP2 5-P PXi 5.5
    PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
    TM DLL+ 34.5"
  • wcbjrwcbjr Members Posts: 2,780 ✭✭
    image/derisive.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':derisive:' />

bryson-dechambeau-side-saddle-1021x540-990x540.jpg
  • MidwestGolfBumMidwestGolfBum Corporate Golfer Extraordinaire MSN/MKE/DSMMembers Posts: 1,284 ✭✭
    Purely speculation here, but my guess is that because a center shafted putter isn't common among a lot of the recreational and top am players most people get comfortable with looking down at something that is heel shafted.

While nowhere near the level of the PGA or professional ranks, I have attempted to use a center shafted putter a few times over the years and something about it just never feels or looks right, to me. I always go back to a Dale Head style putter with a plumbers neck regardless of what else I have tried. At some point, looking down at something you have confidence in, even if it's the putter you found in the bargain bin for $2.99, is going to be what you prefer to play and will most likely make the best stroke with.
    Titleist TS3 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei White 70TX
    Titleist 917F3 15* Graphite Design AD-DI 7X black
    Titleist T-MB 2i Graphite Design AD-95X Utility/Driving iron
    Titleist 714 MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100 or Cally RazrX MB 4-9 True Temper TI X100
    Vokey SM7, 52.08, 56.10, 60.08 True Temper TI S400
    Byron DH89 or Piretti Proto

The bag is always a work in progress.
  • rushfan96rushfan96 Posts: 590 ✭✭
    Padraig Harrington infinite putter
  • BoognishBoognish Members Posts: 716
    Callaway 816 DBD 9* / Fuji Speeder Evo II 569-S
    Callaway XR16 14* / Fubuki AX f75-S
    Callaway X2Hot 5Deep 18.5*/ Aldila Tour Green 75-S
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* & 23* / Fuji Pro 83-S
    Srixon z765 5-9 / Modus 120-S
    Mizuno S18 46*
    Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 52*
    Callaway PM Grind 58*
    Ping Vault 2.0 Ketsch
  • ChristosteroneChristosterone Reverse C ClubWRX Posts: 1,342 ClubWRX
    Hi GolfWRX, my name is Christosterone.

[HI CHRISTOSTERONE]

I don’t know how it happened but I currently putt with a 2010 odyssey backstryke d.a.r.t.

It feels good, tell y’all, my internet friends.

-Chris
    Sixon Z745 Japanese Tour 430cc Tour AD-DJ7 XX
    Srixon zU45 (2,3) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
    Srixon JDM Z945 (4-PW) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
    Cleveland 588 DSG(52,56,60) KBS Tour 130X White Pearl 2* up
    dumbest putter ever...backstryke with tons of lead tape
  • PaintmanPaintman Members Posts: 50 ✭✭
    For the past 40 years, most often I've played a center shaft putter. I never knew why until an ophthalmologist discovered that I have a depth perception problem in one eye.(Which I now close). So maybe that was trial and error and it always looked right to me. I've moved on to a center shaft Boccieri heavy putter. This latest orthopedic move is sponsored by frazzled nerves.
  • GhostwedgeGhostwedge Posts: 653 ✭✭
    Paintman wrote:

For the past 40 years, most often I've played a center shaft putter. I never knew why until an ophthalmologist discovered that I have a depth perception problem in one eye.(Which I now close). So maybe that was trial and error and it always looked right to me. I've moved on to a center shaft Boccieri heavy putter. This latest orthopedic move is sponsored by frazzled nerves.
    True on that last sentence... thinking about a counter/balanced putter once in awhile these days.
  • BarfolomewBarfolomew #worstWRXer Members Posts: 1,216 ✭✭
    center shafted face balanced or bust
    G30 LS
    M2 BMW
    XR 4 Hybrid
    OnOffOnAgain Kuros
    Cleveland Blob
    Square Strike
    SeeMore Butts
  • mattTHEkattmattTHEkatt Members Posts: 49 ✭✭
    Stewart Cink is another center shafter.
    Driver - 2017 Taylormade M1 10.5* Oban Tour Limited 04
    3 Wood - Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 Fubuki Z70
    Utility Iron- Srixon Zu65 20* GD AD DI 88
    Irons - Taylormade P770 4-6 KBS Tour FLT
    Taylormade P750 7-P KBS Tour FLT
    Wedges - Taylormade MG 52*, 56*, 60* KBS 610 Wedge
    Putter - Odyssey Works Versa #7
    Ball - Taylormade TP5x
  • Ashley SchaefferAshley Schaeffer Members Posts: 1,953 ✭✭
    I was thinking about switching to a heel shafted putter because I read somewhere that no great putter ever putted with a center shaft. I guess Hogan wasn't bad, but he was a better player than he was a putter. My friend (who coincidentally putts with a center-shafted Bullseye) said that he doesn't care what I putt with as long as it gets me around the course faster. I didn't know I was being slow, but I know I was over the last putt, and I looked at my shoes and wondered why I had worn that pair that day.
    8.5* TS3 - Evenflow White T-1100
    15* M2 2017
    18* M2 2017
    4-PW Mizuno JPX850F
    SM7 50*, 54*, 60*
    SC Newport Two
  • nsxguynsxguy Just anudder user FloridaMembers Posts: 5,317 ✭✭

Purely speculation here, but my guess is that because a center shafted putter isn't common among a lot of the recreational and top am players most people get comfortable with looking down at something that is heel shafted.

While nowhere near the level of the PGA or professional ranks, I have attempted to use a center shafted putter a few times over the years and something about it just never feels or looks right, to me. I always go back to a Dale Head style putter with a plumbers neck regardless of what else I have tried. At some point, looking down at something you have confidence in, even if it's the putter you found in the bargain bin for $2.99, is going to be what you prefer to play and will most likely make the best stroke with.

I think it may psychological.

There's no other club in the bag I want to hit off the hosel,,,,,,,,,, image/shok.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':shok:' />

ANY SITE GUIDANCE I OFFER, UNLESS SPECIFIED OTHERWISE, IS REFERRING TO THE "DESKTOP/FULL" VERSION

Callaway Epic 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0
    Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff
    Titleist 716 AP-1, 5-PW, DGS300
    Cleveland RTX-3 50*, 56*, 64 DGS300

Taylormade Spidex-X Blue/single white line (Today - always subject to change)
    Titleist AVX
  • jonsnowjonsnow GeorgiaMembers Posts: 1,207 ✭✭

I was thinking about switching to a heel shafted putter because I read somewhere that no great putter ever putted with a center shaft. I guess Hogan wasn't bad, but he was a better player than he was a putter. My friend (who coincidentally putts with a center-shafted Bullseye) said that he doesn't care what I putt with as long as it gets me around the course faster. I didn't know I was being slow, but I know I was over the last putt, and I looked at my shoes and wondered why I had worn that pair that day.

Nice reference! Wish I could find Dead Solid Perfect & get a copy.
    WITB:
    Titleist 910D3 9.5
    Titleist 917F2 15
    Titleist 910H 19
    Bridgestone J40 DPC 4-PW
    Vokey SM6 50,54,60
    Cameron Newport 2
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

Clubs are subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination at any time...
  • gretchgretch Posts: 806
    jonsnow wrote:

https://www.raredvds.biz/

I picked up a copy of that last year from there
  • gvogelgvogel Members Posts: 7,188 ✭✭

corey Pavin. Great putter - center shafted.
    On Sundays, I used to play hickory
  • Ashley SchaefferAshley Schaeffer Members Posts: 1,953 ✭✭
    gretch wrote:

jonsnow wrote:

Nice! Thanks! A relative bought me the VHS for a birthday when I was an adolescent. The VHS tape got worn in a certain scene (it was in and out of the basement VCR more times than a bad grip) and is now basically unwatchable.
    8.5* TS3 - Evenflow White T-1100
    15* M2 2017
    18* M2 2017
    4-PW Mizuno JPX850F
    SM7 50*, 54*, 60*
    SC Newport Two
  • Qqq123xxQqq123xx I wake up take a few steps and am in a haze the rest of the day. Members Posts: 6,207 ✭✭

Hi GolfWRX, my name is Christosterone.

[HI CHRISTOSTERONE]

I don't know how it happened but I currently putt with a 2010 odyssey backstryke d.a.r.t.

It feels good, tell y'all, my internet friends.

-Chris
    I'd take a divot with that thing. Hope it keeps working for you.
    Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
    Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
    Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
    Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
    Nxt Tour.
    Cleveland Classic #4
  • iBanestoiBanesto Niclas Fasth Members Posts: 4,420 ✭✭
  • jonsnowjonsnow GeorgiaMembers Posts: 1,207 ✭✭
    gretch wrote:

jonsnow wrote:

Reading these posts led me to a Google search of Dead Solid Perfect & found this trivia: Kathryn Harrold, Randy Quaid's ex-wife in the movie, was married to Lawrence O'Donnell of MSNBC fame from 1994 to 2013.
    WITB:
    Titleist 910D3 9.5
    Titleist 917F2 15
    Titleist 910H 19
    Bridgestone J40 DPC 4-PW
    Vokey SM6 50,54,60
    Cameron Newport 2
    Bridgestone Tour B XS

Clubs are subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination at any time...
  • oldpalchampoldpalchamp Members Posts: 1,204 ✭✭
    Doesn't Luke List use a center shafted putter? If it's not CS, it's pretty darn close.
  • AllShowNoDoughAllShowNoDough Posts: 76 ✭✭
    Mackenzie Hughes
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]TaylorMade R9 Supertri 10.5* 16g weight in heel, set in R Position, effective loft is 9.5* w/ TP Fubuki 73g stiff[/font]
    [font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Cobra FlyZ set at 14.5* w/ stock shaft[/font]
    [font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Titleist 690.CB 3-PW +0.5" w/ DG s300[/font]
    [font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Titleist Vokey 54*, 60*[/font]
    [font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Wilson FG Tour PMP Gun Blue 56* 11* bounce[/font]
    [font=tahoma, geneva, sans-serif]Ray Cook SR100 Cheap experiment turned gamer [/font]