Adam Scott hits a 5 iron 230 yards

Comments

• Golfer4LifeGolfer4Life Bob Parsons Bodyguard, Chump! ClubWRX Posts: 2,152
    Behold Gankas!
    PXG Derangement Syndrome, it is real.......<br /><br />Equipment:<br /><br />A bag full of PXG’s<br />Non Titleist Welded Neck 35/330g SC 009<br /><br />“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”
  • PowderedToastManPowderedToastMan Members Posts: 3,737 ✭✭
    If you can flight long irons high, you can hit them an absolute mile depending on conditions.
    Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being. Reformed club ho.

In the bag:

PING. Lots of PING.
  • BNGLBNGL Members Posts: 1,561 ✭✭

https://www.youtube....h?v=wuH9ttXkd_g

skip to 2min10sec

Adam hits a 5 iron 230 yards...

Actually a lot of pros seem to hit 210+ with their 5 irons (dare I say 6 irons). I am going to take wind out of the equation because Ive seen pros hit into the wind at ridicolous distances. So... can someone please explain to me whats going on....

How the heck do these guys hit them so far?! According to Trackman stats, 5 irons pro averages are about 195 yards (https://blog.trackma...age-tour-stats/)

Oh I know... maybe PGA tour actually being played on Mars?

Perhaps they're the best golf players in the world, with precise control of the club face and efficient golf swings that transfer enormous amounts of energy into a golf ball.

Perhaps the numbers are slightly misleading...typically on a par 3s there is only one distance given for the week, and the hole location/tee setups might make the hole play a little shorter or longer.

The other thing to consider is that he probably didn't fly it that far (not that he might not be able too). Conversations probably goes like this (at least it did between my brother and I);

Me: 230 static?

Bro: Yes, 230 static. Wind down off the right 4 to 10 at 7, slightly downhill, flag is back 230 static, 222 with wind, 217 with elevation and wind. You wanna flight this 5 and turn it over slightly number is 205.

Me: Think it will release that much?

Bro: Yes, greens are firm it'll get back there.

Me: 5?

Bro: Yes.

That whole conversation took 25 yards off the shot.
  • GolfjackGolfjack All about the rotation Posts: 945 ✭✭
    Actually it's always shorter than advertised. The measured distance is from the back of the tee box (which is why pro's always pace off the distance to the tee markers from the back (usually those boards separating spectator from players/caddies. So you can take another 8 yards off of the distance too. He probably just hit a good old regular 5 iron. That said, still very impressive. Like another poster said, some are impressed by driver distance, but people who really look at all their distances are even more impressed, since their distance progression is very steady, which obviously means superior ball striking.

For amateurs (ahem, like me) the closest I get to pro's is with a pitching wedge lol. Your swing has to be so much better to swing a longer club faster. And I'm talking about averages. PW I can get to the 103 ball speed average from a few years ago, but not consistently (play Mizzy MP5's). Not even going to talk about the longer clubs lol.
    TM M4 Driver 10.5
    TM M4 3 wood 16
    4H (22) Aeroburner TP
    Mizuno MP-15 4, 5 iron, Project X LZ 6.5
    Mizuno MP-5 6-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
    Wedges Mizuno T7 50, 56, 60
    Honma HP 1002

Alternate set:
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9.5, Nike VR Pro 4-PW DG x100, Titleist AP2 712 DG x100 4-P, Callaway Jaws X Series CC Wedges 52 56 60, , Odyssey Arm Lock Putter, Gauge Design Eldik Putter with Superstroke Fatso 5
  • RobertBaronRobertBaron Posts: 750 ✭✭
    That hole looks like it's probably more downhill than it appears on TV
  • Bingo1976Bingo1976 Posts: 2,493 ✭✭
    I don't think TV helps people appreciate how far (or not) the players drive the ball.

They are usually playing in temps over 80F, which immediately helps with ball carry. Lets see how far they are driving the ball in the British Masters this week.

As mentioned, there is often no mention of downhill approaches, or firm greens. I've seen players hit 6 iron from 210 (per the TV), when by the time you factor in a bit of altitude, a warm afternoon, a 5 yard drop to a firm green and the fact the players ball has pitched 10 yards short and finished beneath the hole, then it's more like a 190 carry.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Matrix Ozik R[/font]
    [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]HiRev[/font]
    [font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/font]
  • StlEERStlEER Posts: 172 ✭✭
    Can we as a forum finally agree once and for all to please stop using this Trackman link from 3+ year ago?

• BrandonDunesBrandonDunes Posts: 330 ✭✭
    Is that a highlight video or just showing off his good looks? That handsome guy!
    Driver - Callaway Epic SZ 10.5º
    3W - Taylor Made Jetspeed HL º17
    H - Callaway Xhot Pro 23º
    Irons - Mizuno JPX919 Hotmetal 5-PW
    GW - Callaway MD3 (S-48º)
    SW - Callaway MD3 (S-52º)
    LW - Callaway MD3 (W-58º)
    Putter - Odyssey O-Works 2-Ball
  • theboypinoytheboypinoy Members Posts: 2,034 ✭✭

Behold Gankas!

He doesn't work with him anymore unfortunately, if that's what you were suggesting
  • exitlowandleftexitlowandleft Posts: 187 ✭✭
    ^^yep I’m pretty sure he went back to work with Brad Malone
  • Invisible-zInvisible-z Posts: 91 ✭✭
    So how does TV measure distance from the ball to the pin?

I dont believe pros are hitting 5 irons 230 yards.

Well but then I saw Rory hitting into a GC2 simulator... and he hit it 200 without much effort

• SlickT73SlickT73 Posts: 342 ✭✭
    Honestly don't understand why people are so fascinated with iron distances.

It is not hard to bash an iron a mile. SS plus good impact.

What's difficult is being able to do it over and over again, to a small target, taking into account all variables with plenty on the line.
  • TLUBulldogGolfTLUBulldogGolf Sasquatch Members Posts: 2,405 ✭✭

So how does TV measure distance from the ball to the pin?

I dont believe pros are hitting 5 irons 230 yards.

Well but then I saw Rory hitting into a GC2 simulator... and he hit it 200 without much effort

https://www.youtube....h?v=1yucVhSwyJc

200 is nothing unusual for a 5, I would expect most to be around there for a stock shot.

For this particular shot, this was at the PGA where it was incredibly hot and humid which makes the ball go forever. He swung quite hard, perfect tee conditions, a bit down breeze. Not hard to think that would add 15-20 yards carry potentially. He didn't carry this shot 232 and it likely wasn't playing that far either.
    Titleist 917 D3 9.5* Kiyoshi Black 65-05
    Titleist 917 F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
    Titleist 818 H2 19* Tensei White 100-TX
    Mizuno JPX 900 Tour 3-PW PX 6.5
    Titleist Vokey SM6 Jet Black 54* S Grind PX 6.5
    Titleist Vokey SM6 Jet Black 60* M Grind X100
    Odyssey Works #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT
  • mocokidmocokid Members Posts: 1,711 ✭✭
    edited Oct 10, 2018 #45
    did he make the putt(s)? I'm starting a new thread:

Can the 'average' GolfWrx 9 handicapper beat Adam Scott in an 18 hole putting challenge. (and he can use his LONG putter).
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • gators78gators78 ClubWRX Posts: 3,907 ClubWRX
    When you have professionals built like Greek statues, that workout all the time, with perfect equipment...yes, in fact, they can hit it longer than the crowd at your local driving range. It's not magic.
    G400 Max
    M2 3W, Hybrid
    i210s
    SM7s
    Sigma 2, Tyne 4
  • BottleCapBottleCap Members Posts: 1,268 ✭✭

Behold Gankas!

He dropped him. Gankas gave him a flailing looking swing.
    Titleist TS2 GD TourAD IZ 7S
    Titleist TS2 15 GD TourAD F-85S
    Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3-4 DG AMT S300
    Mizuno MP-18 5-PW DG S400
    Vokey SM7 54M and 60M
    Cameron Newport 2 CT
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,172 ✭✭

I think Kevin Tway hit a 242 yard 6 iron Sunday on 18, the 2nd time they played it, under a limb and flew the green. Crazy
    Sort of. He was in the rough and landed near the front of the green and it rolled all the way to the back. So... he likely carried it about 215-220 out of heavy rough and it rolled out to about 250.
    WITB
    DRIVER MIA
    LTD Kai'li 70X
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW KBS Tour FLT
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 58/12SS Modus 125 Wedge (Hi Toe 58 KBS Wedge in test)
    TP Black Copper Juno w/ PX 7.0 Wedge
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

• Anchor44Anchor44 Posts: 898 ✭✭

skip to 2min10sec

Adam hits a 5 iron 230 yards...

Actually a lot of pros seem to hit 210+ with their 5 irons (dare I say 6 irons). I am going to take wind out of the equation because Ive seen pros hit into the wind at ridicolous distances. So... can someone please explain to me whats going on....

How the heck do these guys hit them so far?! According to Trackman stats, 5 irons pro averages are about 195 yards (https://blog.trackmangolf.com/trackman-average-tour-stats/)

Oh I know... maybe PGA tour actually being played on Mars?

And he doesn't even anchor it!
  • DukeOfChinoHillsDukeOfChinoHills Orange County, CAPosts: 317 ✭✭

Upon seeing this thread, I recall that David Duval hit a similar or possibly longer shot on the 72nd hole at the Bob Hope, on his way to shooting 59. 19 year older technology, too:

https://www.pgatour....rysler-cla.html

There's a plaque in the fairway which states it was 215 yards.
    "You're still away."
    917D2 - DiamanaD+ 70S
    917F2 - DiamanaD+ 80S
    818H1 - Tensei Blue 80S
    716 AP2 (4-PW) - DG300S
    Vokey 50.08F, 54.10S, 58.12K (All Grips are Winn Dri-Tac Grey)
    Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Mid-Slant 35" w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT Tour

• JRSJRS Members Posts: 959 ✭✭
    147 ball speed. the guy you play with on saturday morning who drives it 250, when he actually finds the clubface, is probably making a similar number..... with driver!
  • IVMIVM Posts: 454 ✭✭
    edited Oct 13, 2018 #52
    He might have hit it this far if he hit the center of the face and it was down wind and landed on a sprinkler head !
  • BearQBearQ Break 2 Rebuild Members Posts: 3,265 ✭✭
    I watched adam Scott on range after round 2 at baltusrol pga. He was hitting a mid iron funny enough and it was legit poetry. 215ish through the exact same window...tiny cuts and tiny draws. I’ll always remember him as one of the best ball strikers ever
    LTD Pro (9.5*) - Matrix Type C Prototype 70X
    M2 Tour (15*)  or  (16.5*) - Black Tie 80M4-X  
    P790 UDI #2 (18*)  / TP UDI #3 (19*) - Black Tie HM4 105X  or  Bridgestone XD-H (18*) - Speeder TS 9.8X
    Srixon Z945 (4-P) - Nippon SPB X
    Cobra MB (50*) Nike VR Forged (56*) Cleveland RTX 2 (60.08W)
    Spider Tour Black 

• BeerPerHoleBeerPerHole Members Posts: 1,083 ✭✭
    I marvel at how long these guys are with their irons. All the irons, really. "Oh, he's about 178 out. He'll be hitting a 9 iron." Me..."Wha!?" I do the math and realize that if I hit my 9 iron hard enough to go that far it'd go 400 feet in altitude. haha...

My wife likes Adam Scott
    Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
    Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
    Ping G400 5-wood
    Srixon Z Star
    Maker's Mark
  • aliikanealiikane Members Posts: 1,600 ✭✭
    It surely was bent to a 2-iron loft. image/taunt.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':taunt:' />
  • Golfer4LifeGolfer4Life Bob Parsons Bodyguard, Chump! ClubWRX Posts: 2,152

Behold Gankas!

He doesn't work with him anymore unfortunately, if that's what you were suggesting

Oh, thanks. I wasn’t aware of the split.
    PXG Derangement Syndrome, it is real.......<br /><br />Equipment:<br /><br />A bag full of PXG’s<br />Non Titleist Welded Neck 35/330g SC 009<br /><br />“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”
  • pinhigh27pinhigh27 Members Posts: 9,575 ✭✭
    JRS wrote:

147 ball speed. the guy you play with on saturday morning who drives it 250, when he actually finds the clubface, is probably making a similar number..... with driver!

It overexaggerates the ballspeed with irons
    How to be in better shape for golf?
    Become a better athlete.
    Don't worry about golf specific.
    Compound lifts w/ linear progress
    Don't forget the mobility work.
    More results, more functional

Spin is not your enemy, everything is a trade-off.
    17 * 1700 goes really far, but doesn't go very straight or consistent
    8* 3500 goes really straight, but doesn't go very far
    Answer for most is somewhere in the middle.
    Pga tour driver avg launch conditions: 11* 2700
  • BrandonDunesBrandonDunes Posts: 330 ✭✭
    edited Oct 20, 2018 #58
    BottleCap wrote:

Behold Gankas!

He dropped him. Gankas gave him a flailing looking swing.

No

Gangas was on NLU podcast and said that he worked with Scott on his posture. Scott wanted some advice and Gangas gave it to him, that's all there was to it.
    Driver - Callaway Epic SZ 10.5º
    3W - Taylor Made Jetspeed HL º17
    H - Callaway Xhot Pro 23º
    Irons - Mizuno JPX919 Hotmetal 5-PW
    GW - Callaway MD3 (S-48º)
    SW - Callaway MD3 (S-52º)
    LW - Callaway MD3 (W-58º)
    Putter - Odyssey O-Works 2-Ball
  • aliikanealiikane Members Posts: 1,600 ✭✭
    I don't always hit a 5 iron but when I do it is a condor on a par 5.
  • 151bar151151bar151 Members Posts: 68 ✭✭
    Looks downhill...
  • jmtbkrjmtbkr Palm Beach GardensMembers Posts: 773 ✭✭
    Only 230?

This is golfWRX, where everyone hits their 9 iron 230!

😆😆😆
    Callaway Rogue 12.5* Synergy 60S
    Callaway Diablo 2hyb
    Callaway X20 3-SW
    Scotty Cameron California Fastback
    Chrome Soft