LUMALUMA I Am My Greatest DownfallJax Beaches, FL.Posts: 2,368 ✭✭
edited Mar 26, 2019 1:02pm in Golf Balls #1

Still haven't locked in a ball yet.
2018 Chromesoft X : Like it, but spun too much into greens for me
2017 ProV1: Expensive to retire each round because they can cut easily
2017 ProV1X: Expensive and a little too clicky
2019 TP5: Like it, but scuffs very easily. I get 18 holes TOPS out of a ball
2019 TP5X: Little too hard around the greens
I would love a ball I could get at least 2 round out of. I feel that the older ProV's would allow for this.

Is Z-Star the next stop? I played them yeeears ago and they had a "dead heavy" feeling. Not sure if this has been addressed. I hear these are great and the covers are fantastic. I also have a sleeve of Tour BXS balls someone said I should try.

Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9 deg / Aldila Rouge
Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
Callaway XR 19 deg Hybrid / Project X LZ S
Titleist 718 MB PW-4i / Project X 6.0 
Titleist Vokey SM5 50/54/58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Comments

• GSDriverGSDriver Members Posts: 578 ✭✭

Chrome Soft X (the 2018 model) is silly durable, and based of spin charts and the like, it's not the highest spinning ball out there, so maybe go with those and learn to not spin it as much, or play for it and hit it past the pin.

Epic Speeder 661
    Rogue 4 Wood Evenflow 75 Blue
    Epic Hybrids 3/4/5
    Apex Pro 6-P Recoil 110 F4
    MD Slate Forged 52
    PM Grind 56/60
    Odyssey 7S
    All grips except putter are Iomic Sticky 2.3
  • ZNDavisZNDavis Members Posts: 42 ✭✭

I agree with trying the Tour BXS

Taylormade M3 • Ping G25 23° hybrid • Titleist T-MB 2 iron • Bridgestone J40 DPC 4 - 9 irons
    Titleist Vokey SM5 46°, 50°, 54° wedges • Taylormade Hi-Toe 58° wedge • Taylormade Spider Tour Red
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • RacineBoxerRacineBoxer Posts: 813 ✭✭

I've played the zstar for several years now and one of the main reasons I didn't switch out from it the last time I compared some balls is the durability. I don't think zstar can be beat. As far as feeling "dead heavy"... never heard that one before. Like every other major manufacturer they have one ball that feels soft and one that feels firm, otherwise they spin and fly like everyone else's premium balls.

• MattM97MattM97 Members Posts: 215 ✭✭

I'd give the Z-Star and XV a try for sure especially the 2019 models with the reviews. The Z-Star line are quite durable, the fitter I go to uses them and I'm not seeing many issues with the balls there.

WITB - Lefty
    Driver: << Testing in Progress >>
    ulAVttu.png - F7 3W - 15.5D - Tensei Blue 60S
    0kZapzq.png- 816 H1 - 21 - Diamana S+ 70R
    Tghg11i.jpg - Z585 4-7 / Z785 8-PW - AMT White Tour S300
    Wedges:
    • cKIO92v.png- MD3 - 51
    • LhHjFh3.png - Glide 2.0 Stealth - 56
    • LhHjFh3.png - Glide - 60

Putter: q8m5K5T.png - E-3
    taylormade-small.jpg - TP5x or urp3gG8.png - MTB Red
    LhHjFh3.png - Pioneer
  • MahamiltoMahamilto NYCMembers Posts: 1,853 ✭✭

If the Chrome Soft X spins too much, why not the regular Chrome Soft?

Very durable and I really enjoy the ball, but it just can't keep up distance wise to the AVX and I don't need the extra spin.

Titleist TS3 - 10.5 - HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g 6.5
    Titleist 917F2 - 15*, Diamana S+ LTD 80TX
    Titleist 716 T-MB 3-4-iron - KBS C-Taper 130x
    Titleist 716 T-MB 5-9-iron - DG AMT x100
    Titleist 718 AP2 PW, 50* - DG AMT x100
    Titleist SM7 55* S-Grind - DG AMT x100
    Titleist SM2 59.12* - DG Tour Issue x100
    Evnroll ER6-B
    Titleist AVX
    Titleist Staff Stand Bag
  • T.B.T.B. Members Posts: 133 ✭✭

I think all the srixons feel. That’s the perfect way to describe them

• cubanstogiecubanstogie Posts: 500 ✭✭

I used to consider myself a ball snob. Didn't matter which pro v, x, taylor made top ball, b330 whatever I could get the best deal on. A guy gave me a sleeve of Snell black and Im sold. I truly believe they are as good as any ball on the market for much cheaper.

• BB28403BB28403 Members Posts: 3,131 ✭✭

@cubanstogie said:
    I used to consider myself a ball snob. Didn't matter which pro v, x, taylor made top ball, b330 whatever I could get the best deal on. A guy gave me a sleeve of Snell black and Im sold. I truly believe they are as good as any ball on the market for much cheaper.

What’s the price per ball out the door, taxes and tags included?

• WardonationWardonation Members Posts: 1,375 ✭✭

@LUMA said:
    Still haven't locked in a ball yet.
    2018 Chromesoft X : Like it, but spun too much into greens for me
    2017 ProV1: Expensive to retire each round because they can cut easily
    2017 ProV1X: Expensive and a little too clicky
    2019 TP5: Like it, but scuffs very easily. I get 18 holes TOPS out of a ball
    2019 TP5X: Little too hard around the greens
    I would love a ball I could get at least 2 round out of. I feel that the older ProV's would allow for this.

Is Z-Star the next stop? I played them yeeears ago and they had a "dead heavy" feeling. Not sure if this has been addressed. I hear these are great and the covers are fantastic. I also have a sleeve of Tour BXS balls someone said I should try.

Z Star XV is the best ball I have ever played hands down. SOdter than the rest checks more around the greens than ProVX, cuts the wind better than provX. I am sold....

• cubanstogiecubanstogie Posts: 500 ✭✭

@BB28403 said:

@cubanstogie said:

I just bought 5 dozen for 139.00 that was shipping and tax. about 6 months ago I think I got a better deal with a special they had going on. It works out to about $2.30 a ball.

@cubanstogie said:

@BB28403 said:

@cubanstogie said:

I just bought 5 dozen for 139.00 that was shipping and tax. about 6 months ago I think I got a better deal with a special they had going on. It works out to about $2.30 a ball.

Not bad!!

• dinchmandinchman Members Posts: 23 ✭✭

My course is selling Srixon Z stars for $10 a six pack. Some special they have going on. At that price why buy Cut, Kirkland, Snell , Or Vice? I didn’t find any of them to much better.

• mogc60mogc60 Members Posts: 293 ✭✭

@BB28403 said:

@cubanstogie said:

@BB28403 said:

@cubanstogie said:

Not bad!!

I just bought 2 dozen for $60 including shipping and everything.

• elwhippyelwhippy Members Posts: 3,076 ✭✭

Dare I ask how you demolish a ball after one round? I have clean grooves, a steep angle of attack, brand new wedges and a penchant for visiting bunkers and hitting lumber and get annoyed if I don't get three competitive rounds out of a ball. In the last month I have trialled the Volvik Vibe and B-XS and neither showed any signs of wear after 36 holes.

@mogc60 said:

@BB28403 said:

@cubanstogie said:

@BB28403 said:

@cubanstogie said:

Not bad!!

I just bought 2 dozen for $60 including shipping and everything.

Nice! I hope Dean gives you a handwritten note. I hear he does sometimes

Speaking of Woes, Rickie Fowler seems to be struggling with the TP5X not spinning enough. He even changed out shafts to try to ADD spin to the ball. WOW. that is interesting.

• tsecortsecor Loading........ Members Posts: 4,015 ✭✭

The new Mizuno Tour ball is really nice. Id give it a shot. feels great and flies just like every other ball out there. I shot 78 with it last weekend. feels great off all clubs including the putter.....does what every other ball out there does. Unless you are a super low HDCP, most balls do the same thing for you. The Wilson is a nice low cost option.....my 2 fav balls are the chromesoft and mizuno.

• RacineBoxerRacineBoxer Posts: 813 ✭✭

@BB28403 said:
    Speaking of Woes, Rickie Fowler seems to be struggling with the TP5X not spinning enough. He even changed out shafts to try to ADD spin to the ball. WOW. that is interesting.

Perhaps an overstatement to say "struggling". He obviously won with the TP5X. He said he still loves the ball. The Cobra tour rep (I assume that is where the info came from) said the shaft change added "a couple hundred rpms". I would expect the TP5/TP5X to be well represented in the top 20 this weekend (and FWIW I don't play the TP5/TP5X).

• StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational Members Posts: 1,155 ✭✭

Yeah those ctapers make some knuckleballs especially with the 5x. I would’ve tried to go TP5 Vice a shaft change but, I’m sure rickie has tried that.