2019 Premium Ball Woes

LUMA ·  
LUMALUMA I Am My Greatest DownfallSt. Johns / Jacksonville Florida 2374WRX Points: 135Members Posts: 2,374 Platinum Tees

Still haven't locked in a ball yet.
2018 Chromesoft X : Like it, but spun too much into greens for me
2017 ProV1: Expensive to retire each round because they can cut easily
2017 ProV1X: Expensive and a little too clicky
2019 TP5: Like it, but scuffs very easily. I get 18 holes TOPS out of a ball
2019 TP5X: Little too hard around the greens
I would love a ball I could get at least 2 round out of. I feel that the older ProV's would allow for this.

Is Z-Star the next stop? I played them yeeears ago and they had a "dead heavy" feeling. Not sure if this has been addressed. I hear these are great and the covers are fantastic. I also have a sleeve of Tour BXS balls someone said I should try.

Posted:
Callaway Epic Sub Zero 9 deg / Aldila Rouge
Titleist 915 F 15 deg / Diamana 70
Callaway XR 19 deg Hybrid / Project X LZ S
Titleist 718 MB PW-4i / Project X 6.0 
Titleist Vokey SM5 50/54/58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Comments

• GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • GSDriverGSDriver  782WRX Points: 152Handicap: 4Members Posts: 782 Golden Tee

Chrome Soft X (the 2018 model) is silly durable, and based of spin charts and the like, it's not the highest spinning ball out there, so maybe go with those and learn to not spin it as much, or play for it and hit it past the pin.

Posted:
    Epic Speeder 661
    Rogue 4 Wood Evenflow 75 Blue
    Epic Hybrids 3/4/5
    Apex Pro 6-P Recoil 110 F4
    MD Slate Forged 52
    PM Grind 56/60
    Odyssey EXO Stroke Lab 7 Mini
    All grips except putter are Iomic Sticky 2.3
  • ZNDavisZNDavis  112WRX Points: 90Handicap: 10.7Members Posts: 112 Fairways

I agree with trying the Tour BXS

Posted:
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ • Tensei CK Pro White
    Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood • Tour AD MT7X
    Titleist 718 T-MB 2 iron, 4 iron, AP2 5-PW • KBS Tour 130X
    Taylormade Hi-Toe 50°, 54°, 60° wedge • KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
    Scotty Cameron Special Select Squareback 2
    Bridgestone Tour B XS
  • RacineBoxerRacineBoxer  871WRX Points: 161Members Posts: 871 Golden Tee

I've played the zstar for several years now and one of the main reasons I didn't switch out from it the last time I compared some balls is the durability. I don't think zstar can be beat. As far as feeling "dead heavy"... never heard that one before. Like every other major manufacturer they have one ball that feels soft and one that feels firm, otherwise they spin and fly like everyone else's premium balls.

Posted:
  • MattM97MattM97  848WRX Points: 362Members Posts: 848 Golden Tee

I'd give the Z-Star and XV a try for sure especially the 2019 models with the reviews. The Z-Star line are quite durable, the fitter I go to uses them and I'm not seeing many issues with the balls there.

Posted:
    WITB - Lefty
    Driver: Ping G410 Plus - 9° Draw - Tour 65S
    Fariway: Cobra F7 - 15.5° Draw - Tensei Blue 65S
    Hybrid: Ping G410 - 19° - Alta CB 70R
    Irons: Srixon Z585 - 4i to 7i - Z785 - 8i to PW - AMT Tour White S300
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 51° - Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 56° - Ping Glide 60°
    Putter Rotation: Edel E-3 - Miura KM-006LH - Toulon San Diego - and many more.
    Balls: TaylorMade TP5X
    Bag: Ping Pioneer

Advertisement
  • MahamiltoMahamilto NYC 2077WRX Points: 252Handicap: ~8Members Posts: 2,077 Platinum Tees

If the Chrome Soft X spins too much, why not the regular Chrome Soft?

Very durable and I really enjoy the ball, but it just can't keep up distance wise to the AVX and I don't need the extra spin.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3 - 9.75* - HZRDUS Smoke Black
    Titleist 917F2 - 14.25* - Diamana S+ LTE
    Titleist U510 1 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black
    Titleist 716 T-MB 3 iron - KBS C-Taper
    Titleist 716 T-MB 5-8 iron - DG AMT
    Titleist 718 AP2 9-GW - DG Tour Issue
    Titleist WedgeWorks V-Grind 54* - DG Tour Issue
    Titleist Spin Milled 58.12 - DG Tour Issue
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 8.5
    Titleist Pro V1x, Bridgestone Tour BX
    Titleist Staff Stand Bag
  • T.B.T.B.  298WRX Points: 104Handicap: 10Members Posts: 298 Greens

I think all the srixons feel. That’s the perfect way to describe them

Posted:
  • cubanstogiecubanstogie  541WRX Points: 102Handicap: 3.8Members Posts: 541 Golden Tee

I used to consider myself a ball snob. Didn't matter which pro v, x, taylor made top ball, b330 whatever I could get the best deal on. A guy gave me a sleeve of Snell black and Im sold. I truly believe they are as good as any ball on the market for much cheaper.

Posted:
  • BB28403BB28403  4270WRX Points: 746Handicap: This post may not be here soon as moderators may delete it to free up space. Be concerned... you may be next...Members Posts: 4,270 Titanium Tees

On -, @cubanstogie said:

I used to consider myself a ball snob. Didn't matter which pro v, x, taylor made top ball, b330 whatever I could get the best deal on. A guy gave me a sleeve of Snell black and Im sold. I truly believe they are as good as any ball on the market for much cheaper.

What’s the price per ball out the door, taxes and tags included?

Posted:
  • WardonationWardonation  1549WRX Points: 175Handicap: +2.8Members Posts: 1,549 Platinum Tees

On -, @LUMA said:

Still haven't locked in a ball yet.
    2018 Chromesoft X : Like it, but spun too much into greens for me
    2017 ProV1: Expensive to retire each round because they can cut easily
    2017 ProV1X: Expensive and a little too clicky
    2019 TP5: Like it, but scuffs very easily. I get 18 holes TOPS out of a ball
    2019 TP5X: Little too hard around the greens
    I would love a ball I could get at least 2 round out of. I feel that the older ProV's would allow for this.

Is Z-Star the next stop? I played them yeeears ago and they had a "dead heavy" feeling. Not sure if this has been addressed. I hear these are great and the covers are fantastic. I also have a sleeve of Tour BXS balls someone said I should try.

Z Star XV is the best ball I have ever played hands down. SOdter than the rest checks more around the greens than ProVX, cuts the wind better than provX. I am sold....

Posted:

Advertisement
  • cubanstogiecubanstogie  541WRX Points: 102Handicap: 3.8Members Posts: 541 Golden Tee

On -, @BB28403 said:

On -, @cubanstogie said:

I just bought 5 dozen for 139.00 that was shipping and tax. about 6 months ago I think I got a better deal with a special they had going on. It works out to about $2.30 a ball.

Posted:
  • BB28403BB28403  4270WRX Points: 746Handicap: This post may not be here soon as moderators may delete it to free up space. Be concerned... you may be next...Members Posts: 4,270 Titanium Tees

On -, @cubanstogie said:

On -, @BB28403 said:

On -, @cubanstogie said:

I just bought 5 dozen for 139.00 that was shipping and tax. about 6 months ago I think I got a better deal with a special they had going on. It works out to about $2.30 a ball.

Not bad!!

Posted:
  • dinchmandinchman  23WRX Points: 58Members Posts: 23 Bunkers

My course is selling Srixon Z stars for $10 a six pack. Some special they have going on. At that price why buy Cut, Kirkland, Snell , Or Vice? I didn’t find any of them to much better.

Posted:
  • mogc60mogc60  1016WRX Points: 481Members Posts: 1,016 Platinum Tees

On -, @BB28403 said:

On -, @cubanstogie said:

On -, @BB28403 said:

On -, @cubanstogie said:

Not bad!!

I just bought 2 dozen for $60 including shipping and everything.

Posted:

CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 9 EV BLACK 75 6.5 44 1/4”
    CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 15 MATRIX HD9 STRONG 41.5”
    WILSON FG5 TOUR 17* RIP PHENOM 100 S
    SRIXON Z FORGED 3-PW CATALYST 100 6.5
    CLEVELAND RTX4 50* CATALYST 100 6.0
    CLEVELAND RTX4 54* CATALYST 100 6.0
    CLEVELAND RTX4 58* MODUS 120X
    SEEMORE mFGP20 PLATINUM 38”
    SNELL MTB-X

• elwhippyelwhippy  3372WRX Points: 333Members Posts: 3,372 Titanium Tees

Dare I ask how you demolish a ball after one round? I have clean grooves, a steep angle of attack, brand new wedges and a penchant for visiting bunkers and hitting lumber and get annoyed if I don't get three competitive rounds out of a ball. In the last month I have trialled the Volvik Vibe and B-XS and neither showed any signs of wear after 36 holes.

Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @mogc60 said:

On -, @BB28403 said:

On -, @cubanstogie said:

On -, @BB28403 said:

On -, @cubanstogie said:

Not bad!!

I just bought 2 dozen for $60 including shipping and everything.

Nice! I hope Dean gives you a handwritten note. I hear he does sometimes

Posted:

Speaking of Woes, Rickie Fowler seems to be struggling with the TP5X not spinning enough. He even changed out shafts to try to ADD spin to the ball. WOW. that is interesting.

Posted:
  • tsecortsecor Loading........  4534WRX Points: 435Members Posts: 4,534 Titanium Tees

The new Mizuno Tour ball is really nice. Id give it a shot. feels great and flies just like every other ball out there. I shot 78 with it last weekend. feels great off all clubs including the putter.....does what every other ball out there does. Unless you are a super low HDCP, most balls do the same thing for you. The Wilson is a nice low cost option.....my 2 fav balls are the chromesoft and mizuno.

Posted:
  • RacineBoxerRacineBoxer  871WRX Points: 161Members Posts: 871 Golden Tee

On -, @BB28403 said:

Speaking of Woes, Rickie Fowler seems to be struggling with the TP5X not spinning enough. He even changed out shafts to try to ADD spin to the ball. WOW. that is interesting.

Perhaps an overstatement to say "struggling". He obviously won with the TP5X. He said he still loves the ball. The Cobra tour rep (I assume that is where the info came from) said the shaft change added "a couple hundred rpms". I would expect the TP5/TP5X to be well represented in the top 20 this weekend (and FWIW I don't play the TP5/TP5X).

Posted:
  • StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational  1713WRX Points: 240Handicap: ?Members Posts: 1,713 Platinum Tees

Yeah those ctapers make some knuckleballs especially with the 5x. I would’ve tried to go TP5 Vice a shaft change but, I’m sure rickie has tried that.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • Hat TrickHat Trick  572WRX Points: 77Members Posts: 572 Golden Tee

I went through what you described. But after 3 rounds in the south (finally after being stuck in the north) I am back to the Pro V1X. It goes as long as the others, spins great and holds greens for me (driver SS 96-98 mph). I find it to as durable as the others - very simply it works for me.
    What I noticed about the firmness/clickiness you mention is that after playing a couple of rounds I didn't notice it anymore.
    Plus at $36 a dozen (buy 3, get 4th free deal) the price is good enough for me.

Posted:
  • awtryau89awtryau89 Hoschton, GA 1367WRX Points: 213Members, ClubWRX Posts: 1,367 ClubWRX

Been playing 2 generation old Z Star XVs for a while and finally got down to 1 dz. Skipped the 2017 model. I went all in on the new 2019 in the perf packs and have 7 dz. The new 2019 XV is softer feeling off the putter but the durability is less than previous generations. I would say its worth it because the old balls were pretty clicky feeling on the putter and short shots. The 2019 has remedies that for sure, probably spins a bit better on short shots, nice high launch and is the best wind ball right up there with the TP5x.

Posted:
  • RainShadowRainShadow Tucson AZ (for now) 4076WRX Points: 420Handicap: 8.2Members Posts: 4,076 Titanium Tees

On -, @RacineBoxer said:

I've played the zstar for several years now and one of the main reasons I didn't switch out from it the last time I compared some balls is the durability. I don't think zstar can be beat. As far as feeling "dead heavy"... never heard that one before. Like every other major manufacturer they have one ball that feels soft and one that feels firm, otherwise they spin and fly like everyone else's premium balls.

I found the ZStar to have that "dead heavy" sensation as well. I am consistently half a club to a club short with my irons with that ball. Head to head against CS, ProV1, FG Tour, TP5 and BStone RXS. First couple of times out I noticed it so I played 2 balls for 9 one afternoon, it proved out.

Posted:
    Ping G400 10.5 (9.5) Hzrdus Yellow 75 6.0
    Rogue 17* Atmos Blue TS 
    G 410 19*, 22* & 26* Tensei CK Pro Blue 80s
    Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW Modus 105s 
    Vokey SM7 54/8 M 
    Vokey SM7 58/8 M 
    Toulon Madison H1 neck (L)/ Bettinardi BB1
    Chrome Soft / TourB RXS / FG Tour
  • LondonerLondoner  1476WRX Points: 279Handicap: 10Members Posts: 1,476 Platinum Tees

Wilson FG Tour. Great balls (for me anyway)

Posted:
    Mizuno mp h5. 4-W KBS tour stiff 2 iron modus 3 stiff.
    taylormade m2 Driver + hl 3 wood
    ping anser
    Titleist sm6 50 +54
    Cleveland 60
  • cpeckcpeck North new jersey 598WRX Points: 284Handicap: leftyMembers Posts: 598 Golden Tee

really really liking the Tour B xs

On -, @LUMA did you get around to trying it.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • glmglm  248WRX Points: 63Handicap: 5Members Posts: 248 Fairways

I'll play anything that says Titleist on it.

Posted:
  • Whiskey_fireWhiskey_fire  1061WRX Points: 179Members Posts: 1,061 Platinum Tees

I’ve currently narrowed it down to the B x and the Pro v1 Like both balls but I’m biased towards Titleist so that may be the deciding factor.

Posted:
    Titleist TS3, 9.5, D+70 
    Titleist TS2, 15, AD DI 7
    Titleist AP2 3-pw, Project X 
    Titleist Vokey 52,56, Project X 
    Taylormade HiToe 60, KBS $taper Black
    Scotty Cameron Studio Style GSS Newport 2
  • PittknifePittknife  142WRX Points: 175Members Posts: 142 Fairways

On -, @elwhippy said:

Dare I ask how you demolish a ball after one round? I have clean grooves, a steep angle of attack, brand new wedges and a penchant for visiting bunkers and hitting lumber and get annoyed if I don't get three competitive rounds out of a ball. In the last month I have trialled the Volvik Vibe and B-XS and neither showed any signs of wear after 36 holes.

Not speaking for the OP but I have the same issues with the ball I play, prov1. I can only get a round out of them before the cover marks annoy me. I’m a +2 , 160s ball speed off driver so I hit a lot of wedges into holes. Very high spin and even after one hole I can start to see the fuzz on the cover of a 2018 Pro V1. I rarely lose balls, I retire them after each round into my shag bag. I’m just very visually bothered by the paint chipping on the covers, I’m sure it doesn’t affect performance though.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • StanksStanks Everything I post is confrontational  1713WRX Points: 240Handicap: ?Members Posts: 1,713 Platinum Tees

Guy, Tiger likes Bridgestone. Go with Bridgestone. Be like Tiger. Go out there and roar. The 2019 balls are all great and you're not a Tour Pro (like Tiger) so I'm thinking you're being a hair too critical in your perception. But, it is your money and it is your game, so, far be it for me to even comment.
    Cut 2019 models look good, too. But, I play off 18 so, what do I know?

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.