Tiger is playing a Bridgestone ball this week (merged)

Pat du Golf

To play Devils Advocate, #2, 4, 7, and 8 are the same thing just reworded. Everything else is valid though and I agree.

I think the issue comes back to that level of social awkwardness that seems to persist. As charismatic and charming as he can be, he still falls back on a lot of canned "tech speak" without providing any real explanation for what the hell he is talking about and IMO, he'd be better off saying nothing most of the time. The classic "non firing Glutes" comment being the prime example of this. If you're going to say it like that, it needs an explanation, otherwise you just look like a doofus. "Yeah my glutes just weren't firing, that sounds ridiculous doesn't it? Well, when that whole area of your body has been immobilized for as long as mine has for rehab, things don't quite work right immediately and that immobility leads to some stiffness that i'll just need to work out". Instead he talks to everyone like they all know what these phrases like "release patterns" and "baseline shifting" mean and it just comes across as weird excuses when in reality he should just shed a little light on wtf he is actually talking about.

I (a non-psychology trained person) subscribe to the theory that many high performers come up with excuses to keep their ego intact as their ego gives them the confidence to "get it done" at such a high level. Michael Jordan, from what I've read and heard, falls squarely into this camp. The excuses come off as petty, childish, and whiny, but they likely also stave off some of the self-doubt that can be a career killer at that level of play. "It's not me, it's that d-mn spike hole that caused me to miss the putt." If such thinking allows you to hole the putt on the next green and collect $2M, then I understand it. I don't like it, but I understand it.

KP, you said it very succinctly. Tiger is like Maverick from Top Gun after Goose was killed. Tiger has a confidence problem and instead of saying that, he creates other reasons to hide the true issue. If you read what Ernie Els said about Tiger as related to this event, he knows his swing is good, he wants to see what's going on upstairs.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never skip legs day

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z565 Speeder 569 Evo IV SR[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]TaylorMade RBZ 3 wood, [/size][/font][/color][color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Matrix Ozik R[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Srixon U65 2 iron, Miyazaki S[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra F6 Hybrid 22 degrees RedTie S[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Srixon z945 5-pw w/ DG s200[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Miura Y 51 and K 56 DG Spinner, Yururi Raw 61 KBS [/size][/font][/color][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][color=#a4a4a4][size=2]HiRev[/size][/color][/font]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Odyssey O-Works Black 34"[/size][/color][/font]

To play Devils Advocate, #2, 4, 7, and 8 are the same thing just reworded. Everything else is valid though and I agree.

I think the issue comes back to that level of social awkwardness that seems to persist. As charismatic and charming as he can be, he still falls back on a lot of canned "tech speak" without providing any real explanation for what the hell he is talking about and IMO, he'd be better off saying nothing most of the time. The classic "non firing Glutes" comment being the prime example of this. If you're going to say it like that, it needs an explanation, otherwise you just look like a doofus. "Yeah my glutes just weren't firing, that sounds ridiculous doesn't it? Well, when that whole area of your body has been immobilized for as long as mine has for rehab, things don't quite work right immediately and that immobility leads to some stiffness that i'll just need to work out". Instead he talks to everyone like they all know what these phrases like "release patterns" and "baseline shifting" mean and it just comes across as weird excuses when in reality he should just shed a little light on wtf he is actually talking about.

I (a non-psychology trained person) subscribe to the theory that many high performers come up with excuses to keep their ego intact as their ego gives them the confidence to "get it done" at such a high level. Michael Jordan, from what I've read and heard, falls squarely into this camp. The excuses come off as petty, childish, and whiny, but they likely also stave off some of the self-doubt that can be a career killer at that level of play. "It's not me, it's that d-mn spike hole that caused me to miss the putt." If such thinking allows you to hole the putt on the next green and collect $2M, then I understand it. I don't like it, but I understand it.

KP, you said it very succinctly. Tiger is like Maverick from Top Gun after Goose was killed. Tiger has a confidence problem and instead of saying that, he creates other reasons to hide the true issue. If you read what Ernie Els said about Tiger as related to this event, he knows his swing is good, he wants to see what's going on upstairs.

If he turns to Kelly McGillis for comfort I will vomit!

Looks like he still has the pretty significant head dip on that driver swing.

Alot good players "dip" their head, its not bad thing, as long as you are squatting

Moe Norman said, he felt he was getting shorter in the downswing

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

Playing a new ball is yet a new excuse for short game issues.

Dave, exactly what did Tiger do with a current or former family member of yours?

Over the years I've posted that he is one of, if not THE, most talented player ever to play the game so let's keep this in context. I have immense respect for his talent but not a ton of respect for him on other regards. I'll leave his personal life out of the mix and focus strictly on the professional part. Let's consider some of his excuses for not playing well or withdrawing:

1. My glutes aren't firing.

2. I'm between patterns.

3. I'm vulnerable.

4. This is a different release pattern.

5. I'm going through baseline shifts.

6. We're going to go through the numbers and see what the spin rates are

7. I'm just having a hard time finding the bottom

8. Because of my old pattern, I was so steep

9. It's going to take time to get the feel of my hands where they need to be through the entire swing and shaping shots.

After you play a bad round do you make any of those excuses? Hopefully not. I had a terrible year with the driver in 2016 and my "excuse" was that I sucked hitting a driver. My glutes were fine, I wasn't between patterns, I just was bad with the driver. Period.

Let's not forget he just withdrew from an event where they doubled the number of tickets sold after he announced he was playing and just a few days later, he withdrew and all of the people who bought tickets expecting to see him play his first event in a long time were denied that opportunity. Not sure that refunds were given.

I believe that the game is better off with him competing. More competition and the better competition will only lead to seeing better golf and we all benefit. I hope he shoots lights out this week so all of the Tiger fans have that to hang on to during the off season. I hope he plays early, often and competes in calendar 2017. I hope he's in the mix in every major throughout the year. Seriously. That will lead to great excitement for all of us and great conversations on this site.

You're a ten handicap of course you dont know anything about being dialed in and what it really takes to beat golf courses everyday. You're lack of understanding is the cause for the hate you keep inside for tiger.

Has he ever come clean about why he never heads back towards Titleist equipment, or balls? I am on the fence if Cameron counts to him, or not...

Why wouldh't he just jump back to the ProV? Or Vokey wedges? I know he really enjoyed how Kuch's ball performed several years back when they played alternate shot in some event, but he seems like he's purposely eschewing Titleist.

So if tiger doesn't use titleist it can only be a snub, because he couldn't possibly believe that any equipment could be better than titleist. Got it.

Dave, exactly what did Tiger do with a current or former family member of yours?

Over the years I've posted that he is one of, if not THE, most talented player ever to play the game so let's keep this in context. I have immense respect for his talent but not a ton of respect for him on other regards. I'll leave his personal life out of the mix and focus strictly on the professional part. Let's consider some of his excuses for not playing well or withdrawing:

2. I'm between patterns.

3. I'm vulnerable.

9. It's going to take time to get the feel of my hands where they need to be through the entire swing and shaping shots.

After you play a bad round do you make any of those excuses? Hopefully not. I had a terrible year with the driver in 2016 and my "excuse" was that I sucked hitting a driver. My glutes were fine, I wasn't between patterns, I just was bad with the driver. Period.

Let's not forget he just withdrew from an event where they doubled the number of tickets sold after he announced he was playing and just a few days later, he withdrew and all of the people who bought tickets expecting to see him play his first event in a long time were denied that opportunity. Not sure that refunds were given.

I believe that the game is better off with him competing. More competition and the better competition will only lead to seeing better golf and we all benefit. I hope he shoots lights out this week so all of the Tiger fans have that to hang on to during the off season. I hope he plays early, often and competes in calendar 2017. I hope he's in the mix in every major throughout the year. Seriously. That will lead to great excitement for all of us and great conversations on this site.

You're a ten handicap of course you dont know anything about being dialed in and what it really takes to beat golf courses everyday. You're lack of understanding is the cause for the hate you keep inside for tiger.

You're (sic) command of the English language is impressive. Along with you're (sic) ability to know what a total stranger in an internet forum understands or not. You're (sic) lack of objectivity is the cause of the slobbering love you have for Tiger. See what I did there?

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Ping i20 2 Hy & Idea Pro 4 Hy
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback
Ping Tour Gorge 54 & Vokey SM8 58

2. I'm between patterns.

3. I'm vulnerable.

You're (sic) command of the English language is impressive. Along with you're (sic) ability to know what a total stranger in an internet forum understands or not. You're (sic) lack of objectivity is the cause of the slobbering love you have for Tiger. See what I did there?

AND you're a 5.5 hdcp so you're almost twice as smart as DavePelz4. Amiright?

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

2. I'm between patterns.

3. I'm vulnerable.

AND you're a 5.5 hdcp so you're almost twice as smart as DavePelz4. Amiright?

Probably not. He's a pretty smart guy. I'd bet he is smart enough to tell that I was responding to G.O.A.T., not him.

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback

Probably not. He's a pretty smart guy. I'd bet he is smart enough to tell that I was responding to G.O.A.T., not him.

And my comment was really directed at G.O.A.T, not you.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

And my comment was really directed at G.O.A.T, not you.

Gotcha. Hard to tell since my comment was quoted. No worries.

Callaway Rogue 10.5
Callaway 3Deep w/PX 6.0
Ping i25 5-UW
Scotty Cameron Notchback

and a Monster bag

Cuz he's a beast, a Monster if you will.

So bad. :D

Titleist TSR3 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Taylormade Stealth 2 15* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Callaway Apex UW 19* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Srixon ZX Utility 4i - Axiom 105X

Titleist T100 5-PW KBS Tour 130X
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 50/56/60 - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Circle T Tour Rat Newport

Have there been any reports of the difference between the Nike and Bridgestone ball Tiger's going to put in play? I recall that his Nike ball was the softest on tour.

Might he opt for something a little firmer to compensate for loss of swing speed?

Given that he might be putting the super low spin combo of the M2/Tensei White in play, I think he sticks with the softer ball. Anything firmer and he'd have a hard time working the ball off the tee, unless he is getting away from that and just wants to hit em' high and straight, which honestly wouldn't be such a bad change given his often erratic driving.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 4i-7i 23*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Haven't used a Bridgestone ball in a long time. I remember them performing really well but shredding really easily. So got really expensive.

Tiger wouldn't have that problem though!

TSi3 9* RDX Smoke Black 6.5
M5 15* Kuro Kago Silver 75x
Rescue 11 18* Diamana D+ 90x
P790 4 S400
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flowneck

In response to Bridgestone producing Nike balls in the past:

Rock Ishii originally started with Bridgestone Tire in 1989 and eventually moved to their sports division (marketed under the Precept brand). He moved to Nike in 1996. Rock was the primary designer of every Nike branded golf ball. Nike outsourced production to Bridgestone (not design). However, it is unclear if Rock's designs required licensing any patents from Bridgestone or other competitors. I believe Nike went elsewhere sometime in 2010 with the first release by the new producer being the 20xi line (RZN material produced by Dupont).

Outsourcing production based on internal R&D is extremely common (in this industry, this happens for the majority of major OEM clubheads). Years ago, most golf ball production in the US was outsourced to Bridgestone and Dupont because they were the experts when it came to rubber production (with Acushnet and Spaulding producing their own). Ultimately people tend to give more credit to the producer than the designer when in reality it should be the other way around. Think of it as the producer simply "follows directions" while the designer "creates the directions".

In response to Bridgestone producing Nike balls in the past:

Rock Ishii originally started with Bridgestone Tire in 1989 and eventually moved to their sports division (marketed under the Precept brand). He moved to Nike in 1996. Rock was the primary designer of every Nike branded golf ball. Nike outsourced production to Bridgestone (not design). However, it is unclear if Rock's designs required licensing any patents from Bridgestone or other competitors. I believe Nike went elsewhere sometime in 2010 with the first release by the new producer being the 20xi line (RZN material produced by Dupont).

Outsourcing production based on internal R&D is extremely common (in this industry, this happens for the majority of major OEM clubheads). Years ago, most golf ball production in the US was outsourced to Bridgestone and Dupont because they were the experts when it came to rubber production (with Acushnet and Spaulding producing their own). Ultimately people tend to give more credit to the producer than the designer when in reality it should be the other way around. Think of it as the producer simply "follows directions" while the designer "creates the directions".

You always have great info. Especially on golf balls. Thanks.