Lovely to watch, but how does the Tour STOP the rash of sub 60 rounds

Pete O'Tube

Yeah, seeing these recent 59's has been awful. I also cringe every time I see someone make an eagle, and I turn off the telly in disgust when I see that God forbidden Albatros.

Can't believe some of you actually see this as a problem.

you have to look at it from the lense of " greater good" im excited too about seeing the recent rash.. but heres the reality.. if it happens every month we will soon no longer be excited about it... then what ? the outer limits should be preserved for the future.... there is no need for the game to be further turned into a long drive contest... this said by a guy who hits the ball a long way.. It has to stop at some point..

what we have just seen is a guy who with equipment of days past would not have been considered a long hitter.. would not have taken a course apart like that ... yet with todays advantages he is putitng it out there with what would have once been considered long... look i know its never going to happen... But for sake of debate that doesnt mean it isnt the correct thing to do ... or in actuality the true correct move would have been to never have allowed the ball and driver to get out of control to begin with .. but in the name of profit things are allowed to happen

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wrote this once before and not a single person agreed with me, but I still think a good idea to make it more difficult for the pros and not so much more difficult for the average Joe, is to only allow for say 7-9 clubs. I do completely understand this will never happen, but I personally would love it! Bring back touch and feel for the pros instead of everything being so mathematical.

Making courses harder and rolling back the ball and driver will KILL golf!

Bifurcation is the answer in my opinion ..

The R&A and USGA see no need for that. The various circuses voluntarily agree to conduct their events in accordance with the Rules of Golf. Any one of them can, at any time, make up their own "rules" and do what they like.

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

Yeah, seeing these recent 59's has been awful. I also cringe every time I see someone make an eagle, and I turn off the telly in disgust when I see that God forbidden Albatros.

you have to look at it from the lense of " greater good" im excited too about seeing the recent rash.. but heres the reality.. if it happens every month we will soon no longer be excited about it... then what ?

There's always 58, 57, 56 etc. Still, it's happened 8 times, not a huge problem yet.

Remember that any equipment changes that the governing bodies make to assure that the scores in professional golf don't go lower, will also make it harder for your scores and my scores to go lower. That is my biggest problem with recent equipment changes, be it the groove rule or the long putter rule. The rules are being changed based on the abilities on the .1% of golfers but it affects 100% of us.

not true... you can choose to play any club you want to in a casual round... you can play old grooves.. you can play 16 clubs.. you can play a hot huge driver ... its all legal if youre the boss.. guys choose to be like the stars.. if that means playing punishing equipment then thats their choice.. cant blame that on the usga

edit-- and to add to that i think what you would find is that smaller drivers and a less straight ball would hurt the pros more than the 18 hadicap... the 18 cap wouldnt change much once he get used to it ... the pros would still score..but not nearly as easily ...

You're correct, however if I choose to keep a handicap and play within the rules I am bound by those rules. In fact, I would argue that most golfers, even if they don't play within the rules of golf completely, still play conforming equipment.

you have to look at it from the lense of " greater good" im excited too about seeing the recent rash.. but heres the reality.. if it happens every month we will soon no longer be excited about it... then what ?

There's always 58, 57, 56 etc. Still, it's happened 8 times, not a huge problem yet.

oh i agree.... and i know i tend to be a bit dramatic in debate... But at some point we have to think ahead , no? seems they havent yet ... if they had thought ahead circa 1999-2000 , i truly dont see why the ball and driver size/forgiveness would have EVER been allowed to get where it is...

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Remember that any equipment changes that the governing bodies make to assure that the scores in professional golf don't go lower, will also make it harder for your scores and my scores to go lower. That is my biggest problem with recent equipment changes, be it the groove rule or the long putter rule. The rules are being changed based on the abilities on the .1% of golfers but it affects 100% of us.

not true... you can choose to play any club you want to in a casual round... you can play old grooves.. you can play 16 clubs.. you can play a hot huge driver ... its all legal if youre the boss.. guys choose to be like the stars.. if that means playing punishing equipment then thats their choice.. cant blame that on the usga

edit-- and to add to that i think what you would find is that smaller drivers and a less straight ball would hurt the pros more than the 18 hadicap... the 18 cap wouldnt change much once he get used to it ... the pros would still score..but not nearly as easily ...

You're correct, however if I choose to keep a handicap and play within the rules I am bound by those rules. In fact, I would argue that most golfers, even if they don't play within the rules of golf completely, still play conforming equipment.

agree.. but that is why bifircation would work... those keeing handicaps would simply denote which level they intend to keep one at .... top am or low am if you will... someone smarter than I could decide what sort of stroke differential would go between top and low am so that in club events each could compete...

edit-- im simply spitballing here.. not preaching that its fool proof ....

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

agree.. but that is why bifircation would work... those keeing handicaps would simply denote which level they intend to keep one at .... top am or low am if you will... someone smarter than I could decide what sort of stroke differential would go between top and low am so that in club events each could compete...

I agree with you. Not stated in my original response but what I was implying is that if the bodies wish to regulate equipment based on what the PGA tour players can do, that needs to apply only to those with that ability. Many here argue about the evils of the modern ball. I for one don't wantbmy drives going 30 yards shorter because a few guys that makes their living doing this have carded 59s.

Grow the rough, narrow the fairways, make reachable par 5s, par 4s. Otherwise, USGA up the courses.

...Changing the par will not affect a player's ultimate score.

Taylormade SIM 8* - Matrix OZIK MFS Black Tie 70X
Taylormade M5 15* - Aldila Black Mamba 80TX
Taylormade M5 19* - Fuji Motore Speeder 8.3X
Taylormade P790 4-PW - Project X 7.0
Taylormade Hi Toe 52* and 58* - KBS $-Taper 125 S+ Black
Taylormade Ardmore 2 35" Super Stroke Claw 1.0

There are approximately 45 events in a PGA season. To make the math simple, let's say there are 125 guys who play in an event and 60 players make the cut. That means there are 270 rounds played per event. Over 45 events that's a total of 12,150 rounds. If 60 is broken 10 times in a year, that means 0.08% of the rounds are sub-60.

I can live with this. Believe me, there are worse "rashes" you can have.

You should have made the math easier.

:P

If you're going to revise it and make it easier, my vote is to make it correct also....

Where is the error Sir?

Roll back the ball.

this is it... pull the ball back and driver head size limit..(around 360-380cc) . no more 59.. easy peasy.. would happen but would remain a rarity

This.

The USGA really messed up by letting the ball and clubhead size of the driver get away from them.

Really? Golf is now less fun for you?

Really? That's what you think I was saying?

Disclaimer: These are my opinions which means I can't prove them right but you also can't prove I'm wrong.

Don't think for a minute that they can't make a ball that a 120 mph swinger would not hit as far but still allow a 90 mph swinger to still hit it just a far.

Thanks to the both the ball and driver head size, the gap between a 90 mph swinger and a 120 mph is much greater than it used to be.

All they'll do is make courses longer. Seems to be the American way.

Nope, can't do that anymore. You know, climate change and all ... :)

But you're still driving round in 8 litre motors?

I jest. I've read a little about the courses overall acreage increasing so much that the running costs are too high, cuts down on the margins if you've got 10% more real estate to irrigate and maintain.

There are approximately 45 events in a PGA season. To make the math simple, let's say there are 125 guys who play in an event and 60 players make the cut. That means there are 270 rounds played per event. Over 45 events that's a total of 12,150 rounds. If 60 is broken 10 times in a year, that means 0.08% of the rounds are sub-60.

If you're going to revise it and make it easier, my vote is to make it correct also....

Where is the error Sir?

125+125+60+60 /= 270

I agree with you. Not stated in my original response but what I was implying is that if the bodies wish to regulate equipment based on what the PGA tour players can do, that needs to apply only to those with that ability. Many here argue about the evils of the modern ball. I for one don't wantbmy drives going 30 yards shorter because a few guys that makes their living doing this have carded 59s.

Bingo!

And it will kill the game for amateurs stone dead.

Unless...a rival organisation to the USGA/R&A appears (like in boxing, darts etc) where they allow today's equipment.

I like everyone in golf playing under the same rules.

I like my equipment as it is just fine.

I think it's perfectly cool for two of the best players in the world to shoot 59's a week apart.

So I'm mystified as to what "problem" you guys are wanting to see addressed.

Not true! Blah blah blah blah blah.

(Annoying isn't it?)

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

I like everyone in golf playing under the same rules.

I like my equipment as it is just fine.

I think it's perfectly cool for two of the best players in the world to shoot 59's a week apart.

So I'm mystified as to what "problem" you guys are wanting to see addressed.

I get that. I do. But for a moment see the extreme upper end of the spectrum. The 110-120 mph guys. Today's equipment lets them swing away with out fear. Something that never used to be done. Not regularly anyway. 490-500 yard par 4s being reached with a short iron is rediculous. Where the game is right this second maybe sustainable. But 5-10 years from now , what do we do when we see driver wedge regularly into a 500 plus yard par4. ? Do we applaud it ? Or do we then realize we have bastardized The game we love beyond recognition?

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1-Remove the sand from bunkers and replace it with gravel. UNRAKED gravel. No more players yelling "Get in the bunker".

2-Stop mowing the grass on the fairways 6 weeks before the tournaments.

3-Aerate the greens on Wednesday the start the tournament on Thursday. Top dress with sand before each round. UNRAKED sand.

4-continuous watering of all tee boxes during plus, let them tee off standing in mud.

That ought to cure this scourge of 59's!

P.S. Edit. In #4,that should be UNRAKED mud.

I was about to say this was one of the dumber threads I'd seen in awhile, but without it, I would not have been able to laught out loud at this post. A+ sir, A+.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 4i-7i 23*- 34* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 38*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Carry it 260 - roll out to 290-300. No rough...everything flat...perfect greens and conditions. If they didn't carry some length they would be an amusement park.

You see a lot of that. I read somewhere that the fairways are cut and rolled so they will get those 300+ yard drives. When they play a really wet course, which is rare, most are hitting pretty long clubs into the green.

And that is kind of what I am getting at. Twenty years ago, there weren't that many guys reaching 300. Now, it is almost normal. The new thing is who is carrying 3 bills on the fly...the previous allure was lost. I don't think we should give up trying to improve, but maybe let the improvement come from players alone and not from setting up race-tracks.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Where is the error Sir?

125+125+60+60 /= 270

You are correct Sir. My apologies.

Simple. Neck the fairways at 280+, water the fairways so they don't give 50+ yards of roll. Grow 6"+ rough. Quit raking the bunkers.

Greens: either don't manicure them or quit mowing them. Let the professionals putt through pitch marks like we do.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

The rough hasn't been bad since pebble beach 2000 . Even the us open now doesn't have harsh rough . Should be thick rough if you miss the fairway and semi cut

Yeah. Now it seems like the only course in rotation with penal rough is Bethpage Black. Makes everyone think twice about pulling driver at that course...

WITB:
SDLR White 10* Speeder 6.2x TS
Epic 14* AD TP7, Rogue 17* PX Evenflow Black
R15 3H Rogue Black 85
MP-18 MMC 4 - PW Modus 120x
50* T7, 58* PM-Grind
Ghost Spider Si Slant

I don't think shortening the fairways or more penal rough is the answer, as we've seen many of the long guys would rather have wedge out of the rough than 8 iron from the fairway. Firm up the greens.

Taylormade Stealth + 10.5 (Mitsubishi Kai'li White 60S)

Titleist 913F 15 (Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 70)

Titleist 712U 2I (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist 680 MB 4-W (True Temper Dynamic Gold S300)

Titleist Vokey SM5 50,54,58 (True Temper Dynamic Gold S200)

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5 SS

ProV1

Stop manicuring the greens.

Exactly......Slow the fairways and greens down and let them get inconsistent. Putting on a perfectly smooth surface on all 18 holes or getting 20-40 yards of roll in the fairway goes a long way into shooting great scores.

Yeah, let's go back to the days of goat tracks!

Why not have them play in conditions that the majority of public golfers play everyday?

Make the fairways narrower, let the rough grow higher, rein in the ball, plant more trees closer to the fairways and make the greens smaller. If it was possible, make the wind blow!! Bomb and gouge would be replaced by golf shots requiring more skill and strategy would come back into play.

Scores in Abu Dhabi today were significantly higher because there was a bit of a breeze. Pros struggling to hit the ball close on a 142 yard par 3 because the landing area was small and the wind was slightly up. DJ hit an iron from the first cut of rough 296 yards into the final green to finish with eagle. 296 YARDS! WITH AN IRON! I recognise that he is a supreme athlete and has prodigious talent, but if you miss a 75 yard wide fairway, you should not be able to pull off a shot like that.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

Sure roll back the ball and bring back Lawrence Welk, Benny Hill, Mr. microphone commercials, wool underwear,

Black and white TV and American bandstand hosted by zombified Dick Clark.

Swing your hickory niblick and mashie well Govna.

You watched Benny Hill??

Is this a serious question? I was 12 years old. So ya know, boob's on TV.

Yes I watched Benny Hill

Good answer

Mizuno ST-X 220 10.5 Aldila Ascent Stiff

Mizuno ST230 16*  UST LINQ

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #4 20* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno JPX Fli_HI #5 22.5* UST Recoil F3

Mizuno MP 5 5- PW TTDG 95 stiff

Mizuno T22 50 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno T22 56 KBS $ Taper Lite
Mizuno M Craft OMOI #1

Were people making these threads and saying to change the ball when there were 2 sub 60 rounds in 2010? There have been 2 this year, and while it has been back to back weeks, I'm leaning to say, pump the breaks. It is still extremely rare. There are thousands of rounds played every year, and last year it happened 1 time.

Were people making these threads and saying to change the ball when there were 2 sub 60 rounds in 2010? There have been 2 this year, and while it has been back to back weeks, I'm leaning to say, pump the breaks.

Jack has been talking about the ball and golf courses long before there was golfwrx - not in relation to 59s, though.