McIlroy fires caddie.

360_CS

3. Rory is a very fragile person. He get's frazzled easily and it's pretty obvious. No I am not a clinical psychologist or his friend but I have played a lot of golf with some high level players and while Rory has a level of talent that is by far much better than anyone I have played with lately (sans one who has Rors number) but he let's little things bother him. Until he understands this phrase "Lions don't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep" he will not dominate. His domination that we have seen is straight up talent. The kid can play but He isn't a mental giant like Jordan, DJ, Tiger, etc. Rory does need to remember he is Rory f'ing Mcilroy.

Rory has more talent than anyone in the game except in his wedges and putting, there is no reason he shouldn't be number one in the world. I also think the ball change has had a much bigger impact on him than he thought. Anyway...Just my $.02.

Pretty good post, but DJ a mental giant? Now I've seen it all.

Actually he is when you think about the context I was framing it in. DJ isn't the smartest golfer out there but when it comes to being mentally tough the dude is cooler than the other side of the pillow. NOTHING bothers the man. I cite the US Open last year when all of us would have been a mess and he just says f it, let's win by a larger amount. So yes. DJ is a mental giant when it comes to dealing with pressure. probably one of the best ever.

Pebble 2010, Whistling Straits 2010, St George's 2011.... the Einstein of pressure!

Losing a tournament and making bad swings happens to everyone. Hogan at Cherry hills. You really don't understand what I am saying. Rory is not someone who in my estimation shows he is mentally tough when he is challenged. You never see DJ firing back on twitter when people criticize him, you don't see him throwing fits about things, you don't see him talking $hit to everyone about if you can't hit the fairways then you should pack your bags and go home...Well Rory did just that. Rory DESPERATELY wants to be seen as a tough guy as someone who is all that and a bag of chips. The dude is fragile emotionally. DJ is Not. While Rory is twittering away and getting in dick measuring contests with has beens, DJ is at home with Paulina pumping out kids and not giving a flying $%&^ what people are saying. There is a huge difference in Being mentally strong and not winning a tournament. This has nothing to do with how smart someone is. DJ is a warrior, Rory tells everyone he is a warrior and if anyone disagrees he starts in like a 7 yr old on a playground " yes I am, yes I am, look at my muscles," " My mom says I'm her biggest warrior, I have lots of money and I lift weights". Pete Rose was one of the biggest idiots off the diamond but was a vicious fighter and fiercest competitors on the field.

lol.... Kirk.... my man! .... I would like this 1000 times if i could....

I just saw the rory press release for the 1st time... and what a crock... he actually talked as if he had no control over his actions.. as if he couldnt not blame his caddie for HIS bad shots... GTFO! He did JP a favor if thats how he thinks... JP will get another good bag... But will Rory get anyone to be on his bag ? i guess we will see... But ill go ahead and predict that his "best mate" will be a flop.. much like Phils brother already has been...

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rory was misclubbed at the Open. But that's one shot. JP doesn't seem to be fully engaged when reading greens, but JP and Rory have been together a good while. I'm quite tired of dumping caddies simply for the sake of change. If he thinks he was misclubbed once wait till he grinds through a few other caddies. You'd think that these two could talk it out, but unfortunately perhaps that didn't happen. I don't agree with his firing.

How can a pro of Rory's caliber be mis-clubbed? Assuming the distance estimate is close, Rory doesn't know what freaking club to hit? The caddie doesn't hit the shot, the player does. Rory mis-clubs Rory, not the damn caddie. The caddie is a scapegoat.

exactly what i have screamed.... JP isnt causing his left miss with driver or his left and right miss of greens with wedges....

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Rory was misclubbed at the Open. But that's one shot. JP doesn't seem to be fully engaged when reading greens, but JP and Rory have been together a good while. I'm quite tired of dumping caddies simply for the sake of change. If he thinks he was misclubbed once wait till he grinds through a few other caddies. You'd think that these two could talk it out, but unfortunately perhaps that didn't happen. I don't agree with his firing.

How can a pro of Rory's caliber be mis-clubbed? Assuming the distance estimate is close, Rory doesn't know what freaking club to hit? The caddie doesn't hit the shot, the player does. Rory mis-clubs Rory, not the damn caddie. The caddie is a scapegoat.

I've heard stories where caddies intentionally give the golfer the wrong distance so they hit the club they want. The pro's know what club to hit but it's based on the distance that they rely on the caddie to provide them.

Driver - Callaway Paradym
Woods - Callaway Paradym 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Callaway Paradym 6-52*
Wedge - PXG Forged 56** 
Putter - Ping TYNE C
Ball - Titleist AVX

Something tells me Mrs. McIlroy is calling the shots. Rory is PW'd and not thinking clearly. Caddie issues? Sure whatever. How about working on the short game and growing a pair.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Did any of y'all watch his press conference?

i did.. watched it all... and was dissapointed ... Im neutral on Rory most times... he isnt my fav but i dont dislike him either... and i think hes a huge talent... A Tiger like talent... BUT he isnt using it ... Not to his full potential.. or even close...

as for the presser..... I just dont understand citing Caddie abuse as the reason and saying he couldnt control himself? Really ? you cant get yourself together and evaluate when you are to blame and when someone else makes a mistake? and then make a game plan going forward..Come on! That answer was either a total lie or a sad admission... i mean hes talking about JP like a psycho girlfriend that you say " i love her .. but if i stay with her ill have to kill her"..... lol how does that translate to a caddie ?

I dont know.. ill stop my rant here... and just say that it has and always will irk me to see someone with talent above others waste it .... sure hes rich , and maybe that was the goal.. But this kid will be a footnote much below Spieths name in the history books if he doesnt get off his a**... He just seems to have alot of quit in him , but occasional fire at the same time.....very hard player to be a fan of in my opinion..

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Seems a lot of drama about someone who carries a golf bag.

we all know that it isnt that simple.. if it were all players would use local caddies everyweek ...there would be no shortage of college age kids who would carry a legends bag for free... and certainky would be physically cable of doing so... anyone who thinks a caddie is just as a beast of burden is living in 1950....

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

It seems pretty simple, his relationship with JP was one where his input was a factor in Rory's on course decision making. That was their routine and long term routines are hard to break. There has been conflict between them in the recent past over the validity of that input from JP, enough so that it has created some tension between them.

So, Rory decides to go a different direction instead of letting the relationship deteriorate damaging a friendship. He can get a fresh start and revert back to full control over the decision making by limiting outside input.

It seems pretty simple, his relationship with JP was one where his input was a factor in Rory's on course decision making. That was their routine and long term routines are hard to break. There has been conflict between them in the recent past over the validity of that input from JP, enough so that it has created some tension between them.

So, Rory decides to go a different direction instead of letting the relationship deteriorate damaging a friendship. He can get a fresh start and revert back to full control over the decision making by limiting outside input.

And that makes sense. Guess we will soon see what the problem actually was/is.

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Caddies are with their golfers A LOT more than just 4 rounds during the tournament. They're also doing much more than just "carrying a bag".

It truly is one of the few situations in life where you have to have a business relationship with someone whom you also HAVE to get along with on a personal level, and you can't split the two apart.

After listening to Rory, it just sounds like something that had to be done to just "wipe the slate clean" so to speak and get him jumpstarted.

This thread is the equivalent of listening to stay-at-home, soccer moms gossiping over their Starbucks every morning after yoga.

Glad to have your input :)

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Tensei Blue shaft

Mizuno ST180 5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Srixon ZX4 4 iron
Srixon ZX5 irons 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Nike Method Core Drone 2.0 putter 34"

we all know that it isnt that simple.. if it were all players would use local caddies everyweek ...there would be no shortage of college age kids who would carry a legends bag for free... and certainky would be physically cable of doing so... anyone who thinks a caddie is just as a beast of burden is living in 1950....

Rory's decision to use an amateur friend to carry his bag and take back control of his game speaks precisely to my point.

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

McIlroy's caddie currently -3.

Not a bad start for RM caddie fire a 67 to start his career. Really happy for him

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

LOL.........after 2 rounds I don't see anything that indicates that JP was a ball & chain. Someone mentioned it earlier, Rory needs to get his wedges dialed in.......pretty sloppy for one of the best players in the world.

TaylorMade M2 10.5 / Matrix White Tie 50X4 R
Callaway Apex 3/20 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3
Callaway Apex 4/23 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3

Maltby KE Tour TC 5/25 Hybrid / Rapport CoreBlue Hybrid R flex
Maltby Forged DBM 4-GW / USTM Recoil 660 F3
Maltby TSW DRM 58 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby TSW DRM 54 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby PTM-5 with 3" Carbon Steel hosel & UST Frequency Filter shaft
Nike RZN Tour Black or TaylorMade Tour Response

LOL.........after 2 rounds I don't see anything that indicates that JP was a ball & chain. Someone mentioned it earlier, Rory needs to get his wedges dialed in.......pretty sloppy for one of the best players in the world.

T3 at a WGC event sure is sloppy... Maybe you missed his wedge smacking the flagstick on 17....

Did any of y'all watch his press conference?

i did.. watched it all... and was dissapointed ... Im neutral on Rory most times... he isnt my fav but i dont dislike him either... and i think hes a huge talent... A Tiger like talent... BUT he isnt using it ... Not to his full potential.. or even close...

as for the presser..... I just dont understand citing Caddie abuse as the reason and saying he couldnt control himself? Really ? you cant get yourself together and evaluate when you are to blame and when someone else makes a mistake? and then make a game plan going forward..Come on! That answer was either a total lie or a sad admission... i mean hes talking about JP like a psycho girlfriend that you say " i love her .. but if i stay with her ill have to kill her"..... lol how does that translate to a caddie ?

I dont know.. ill stop my rant here... and just say that it has and always will irk me to see someone with talent above others waste it .... sure hes rich , and maybe that was the goal.. But this kid will be a footnote much below Spieths name in the history books if he doesnt get off his a**... He just seems to have alot of quit in him , but occasional fire at the same time.....very hard player to be a fan of in my opinion..

Caddie abuse? That's new.

Sooooo any ideas on a long term caddie for Rors? Anyone?

This is the question without any answers

How many people on this board can even name 10 caddies?

Ooh. Ooh. I can! I can!

There's Rory's caddie. There's Spieth Caddie. There's Tigers caddie (living the good life!). Can I quit now or must I prove my prowess?

3. Rory is a very fragile person. He get's frazzled easily and it's pretty obvious. No I am not a clinical psychologist or his friend but I have played a lot of golf with some high level players and while Rory has a level of talent that is by far much better than anyone I have played with lately (sans one who has Rors number) but he let's little things bother him. Until he understands this phrase "Lions don't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep" he will not dominate. His domination that we have seen is straight up talent. The kid can play but He isn't a mental giant like Jordan, DJ, Tiger, etc. Rory does need to remember he is Rory f'ing Mcilroy.

Rory has more talent than anyone in the game except in his wedges and putting, there is no reason he shouldn't be number one in the world. I also think the ball change has had a much bigger impact on him than he thought. Anyway...Just my $.02.

Pretty good post, but DJ a mental giant? Now I've seen it all.

Lol! I was thinking it but you brought it to life. I'm pretty thick but Mensa would be calling my name, if and only if.....

Of course he could easily counter with "a mansion and then there's Pauline". Touché. Gotta go, my bus is here..

Just a guess as another married man. Wife said the caddie had to go. He "makes" the decision that the caddie must go but isn't in control of his actions. Same as any of us being at a restaurant where the wife orders a medium rare steak for the first time. They bring it out and it's truly medium rare, plain as day and perfectly cooked to medium rare perfection. She takes one bite, grimaces and says that it's undercooked. She now expects us to "handle" this for her. We flag down the waiter and are forced to complain about the steak that we know is perfectly cooked, and know that we're in the wrong doing so.

Maybe not a perfect analogy but close enough that I hope my point is caught. Sometimes you just gotta do what you are indirectly commanded to do. No offense ladies on the board, pretend you are doing this for your fussy husband and read with a grin. We should be good to go after that! Welcome to married life Rory, you're going to be lucky to contend again if this is any factor in your decision (again, apologies to the ladies here-it can happen on either side of the wedding aisle).

So watching my recording of Round 2. Rory sitting high on the leaderboard. Rory having good banter his caddie. Rory looking relaxed, composed, in control and flying.

So despite 11 pages of expert comment suggesting otherwise - can I say great call Rory, you appear to be matching young Mr Spieth at a canter..... you aren't finished, washed up, a has been, over pumped and not interested in golf after all

Nice corduroy strides by the way ;)

I'm sure Rory is doing the right thing. I'm sure we are about to see a real head to head between him and Spieth . They are by miles the top two when on their respective games. You know what, I'd like to see how Rory would do linking up with Butch Harmon too

Dustin Johnson is #`1 player in the world for a reason. He has a better over all game now then Rory and I see him catching Rory and passing him in the major category. Honestly DJ has 3 wins this year and Rory doesn't even have a top 3.

Absolutely, DJ is superior talent when on.

lol....

Just a guess as another married man. Wife said the caddie had to go. He "makes" the decision that the caddie must go but isn't in control of his actions. Same as any of us being at a restaurant where the wife orders a medium rare steak for the first time. They bring it out and it's truly medium rare, plain as day and perfectly cooked to medium rare perfection. She takes one bite, grimaces and says that it's undercooked. She now expects us to "handle" this for her. We flag down the waiter and are forced to complain about the steak that we know is perfectly cooked, and know that we're in the wrong doing so.

Maybe not a perfect analogy but close enough that I hope my point is caught. Sometimes you just gotta do what you are indirectly commanded to do. No offense ladies on the board, pretend you are doing this for your fussy husband and read with a grin. We should be good to go after that! Welcome to married life Rory, you're going to be lucky to contend again if this is any factor in your decision (again, apologies to the ladies here-it can happen on either side of the wedding aisle).

Your wife sounds awful, my sympathies..