Single Length Updates (post'em up!)

OsnolaKinnard

So gang, after a ~5 year lay off of not playing any regular golf I have decided to make my return. After my first 8 rounds back, I am playing horribly. Lots of shanks and mishits with glimmers of hope in between. I am looking to simplify and rebuild everything. Move to SL clubs and a single plane approach.

Currently playing:

Cobra F8 driver

Titleist 913 3 wood

Titleist 913 Hybrid

5-GW Ping G25 Irons with nunchuk shafts

58* Callaway Mack Daddy wedge

Looking to move to:

Same driver

Same 3 wood

Cobra King Utility OL 2/3 Iron (driving iron)

5-SW Cobra F8 OL Irons

60* Cobra OL Wedge.

What do you guys think? I want to primarily drive with the utility until I get back in a groove. Any thoughts on this setup are greatly appreciated.

I am not very good (have had rounds in the 80s and rounds in the 100s, but think I've finally found some consistency in my swing recently), so keep that in mind, but I tried the SL approach (Cobra F7s) recently and didn't see any improvement. Theoretically, they allow you to swing every club the same way, but since the swing weights are not the same, I still found swinging each club felt a little different. That said, I didn't try them for very long because I wanted to sell them while they still had some decent value (I was expecting immediate improvement), so perhaps a bit more patience would have paid off. But after going back to my regular set, I wondered why I'd ever abandoned it.

Of course, if you try to pair them with a single-plane swing, perhaps they will be ideal. One does wonder why only one professional golfer uses the single length single plane methodology though. Seems it would be more popular if it was as simple as some describe.

But you will probably have to try it yourself or you'll always wonder if it would have worked for you, so go for it and good luck. You can always sell them and recoup some of your funds if you don't like them.

So gang, after a ~5 year lay off of not playing any regular golf I have decided to make my return. After my first 8 rounds back, I am playing horribly. Lots of shanks and mishits with glimmers of hope in between. I am looking to simplify and rebuild everything. Move to SL clubs and a single plane approach.

Currently playing:

Cobra F8 driver

Titleist 913 3 wood

Titleist 913 Hybrid

5-GW Ping G25 Irons with nunchuk shafts

58* Callaway Mack Daddy wedge

Looking to move to:

Same driver

Same 3 wood

Cobra King Utility OL 2/3 Iron (driving iron)

5-SW Cobra F8 OL Irons

60* Cobra OL Wedge.

What do you guys think? I want to primarily drive with the utility until I get back in a groove. Any thoughts on this setup are greatly appreciated.

I am not very good (have had rounds in the 80s and rounds in the 100s, but think I've finally found some consistency in my swing recently), so keep that in mind, but I tried the SL approach (Cobra F7s) recently and didn't see any improvement. Theoretically, they allow you to swing every club the same way, but since the swing weights are not the same, I still found swinging each club felt a little different. That said, I didn't try them for very long because I wanted to sell them while they still had some decent value (I was expecting immediate improvement), so perhaps a bit more patience would have paid off. But after going back to my regular set, I wondered why I'd ever abandoned it.

Of course, if you try to pair them with a single-plane swing, perhaps they will be ideal. One does wonder why only one professional golfer uses the single length single plane methodology though. Seems it would be more popular if it was as simple as some describe.

But you will probably have to try it yourself or you'll always wonder if it would have worked for you, so go for it and good luck. You can always sell them and recoup some of your funds if you don't like them.

That's true. I really just need to find an approach and stick with it while I make my comeback. This one just seems to be the simplest option and I have read a ton of good comments about the SL system. I am certainly going to keep you guys posted. I'll probably order my new set-up this week.

P.S. You can tell by my feedback that I have no problem with selling gear haha

OK, I'm back. I admit that I had a little fling with my VLs. I was having some swing trouble, so I went back to my old VLs just to try to find my groove. It worked, and I'm back with the SLs now. The VLs meant nothing to me. It was just a physical thing. It's the SLs that I love. Honest.

o'really...

OK, I'm back. I admit that I had a little fling with my girlfriend. I was having some swing trouble, so I went back to my old girlfirend just to try to find my groove. It worked, and I'm back with the wife now. The girlfriend meant nothing to me. It was just a physical thing. It's the wife that I love. Honest.

:pimp: :wub:

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

OK, I'm back. I admit that I had a little fling with my VLs. I was having some swing trouble, so I went back to my old VLs just to try to find my groove. It worked, and I'm back with the SLs now. The VLs meant nothing to me. It was just a physical thing. It's the SLs that I love. Honest.

o'really...

OK, I'm back. I admit that I had a little fling with my girlfriend. I was having some swing trouble, so I went back to my old girlfirend just to try to find my groove. It worked, and I'm back with the wife now. The girlfriend meant nothing to me. It was just a physical thing. It's the wife that I love. Honest.

:pimp: :wub:

I'm pretty sure everyone got the thinly veiled reference without the explanation. It's true, though. I am back with the SLs after playing with the VLs for two weeks to get my swing back in order. I actually like the VLs better from a feel standpoint, but I scattered the ball all over the place while using them. I'm way more consistent with the SLs to the point that I played a nearly flawless round with them yesterday. Quite magic, really.

Well, a few rounds under the belt with my Cobra F7 irons, here's how it goes:

Full swings go really well from the 9 up to the 5 iron. I have no height or gapping problems, the irons feel really good at impact. The heads are big and forgiving, spin is good. On full swings there is very little not to like. The concept works well here.

But, and there's a huge BUT: Everything else apart from full swings doesn't really work for me so far. I am not really precise with the two wedges, I don't hit them on the screws often enough. If I have a perfect lie they get the job done, everything else doesn't really work well. I chunk shots too often. 30-50 yard pitches don't work at all. I practised all kinds of short game shots with them beforehand, hoping to get a grip on those, but I don't. I have major issues picking them clean, may it's because the 7 iron attack angle is different from what I was used to for the last 30 years. Shorter pitches and chips lack control, I tend to chunk more than I am used to. On finesse shot these lack in feel for the clubhead for me.

That's how it goes. To be honest, at the moment I don't know what I will do. The iron shots are good, I hit slightly more GIR than before, but If I miss the green I struggle badly at the moment. I lost 5-6 shots due to bad chipping and pitching on the last rounds, which is a shame because my long game is really sharp at the moment. I plan to get some more short game practice in, hopefully that does the trick. If not, I am willing to stop this experiment.

I think you'll likely get used to the longer wedges, but for now, just grip down! Lie will be a little flat relative to the ideal but not enough to bother you on such short chips and pitches. I play Cobra One Forged 6-GW ( wish I had the 5i!) and ground and bent an old Scratch SW to match, all on Matrix Programs 95s which I flighted to bring the ballflight down on the shorter clubs. I also built the short clubs slightly heavier to allow me to grip down without losing feel, and that has worked very well. I do find that I have better results when in between clubs to grip down the longer club and keep my swing solid, rather than use any kind 3/4 swing, but think that's the golfer not the equipment.

The biggest adjustment for me has really been spin - full shots with SW-9i spin significantly less than with a conventional set, so I'm now hitting to the target rather than beyond it, since I know I won't spin back much. I assume this has to do with the flatter swing plane but don't really know. The biggest benefit for me hasn't really been with scoring - that's about the same as with conventional clubs - but with pain level after a round. Since I'm standing taller over the ball I have much less lower back pain than previously.

2017 M2/Matrix Ozik F6M2
Cally XHP 15°/Altus or 3Deep/Striper H2
Cobra F8 4-5/F7M2
Cally XHP23/Altus hb or Cally X-Prototype 24°/Program 95
6-GW Cobra Forged One Length on flighted Matrix Program 95 OR MP-H4 ON PROGRAM F15
Scratch D/D wedges
Bettinardi QB3

I guess I'm in the minority, because I smoke my 7-sw and struggle with the 5 and 6. I actually took them out of the bag and put vl back in. They were just hook monsters and had terrible trajectories. Finally I had them bent flatter. It helped the hooks but trajectory was still way too low. This weekend I applied some lead tape to the back of the club as low as I could get it and it's definitely better.

I've bought in to ol irons technology and once your mind is right I think you can play better golf. My strikes are better and more consistent. If you have preconceived notions about trajectory, lie angles, spin, or distance, you'll struggle. Just hit what you would with vl irons. Now if a company would just make a set of ol irons with zero offset in a blade, I'd be set!

I guess I'm in the minority, because I smoke my 7-sw and struggle with the 5 and 6. I actually took them out of the bag and put vl back in. They were just hook monsters and had terrible trajectories. Finally I had them bent flatter. It helped the hooks but trajectory was still way too low. This weekend I applied some lead tape to the back of the club as low as I could get it and it's definitely better.

I've bought in to ol irons technology and once your mind is right I think you can play better golf. My strikes are better and more consistent. If you have preconceived notions about trajectory, lie angles, spin, or distance, you'll struggle. Just hit what you would with vl irons. Now if a company would just make a set of ol irons with zero offset in a blade, I'd be set!

You should look into the F8 One hybrids. I bought a 22* and at first wasn't in love, extended it to 37.5" (mine didn't have an Arccos so played 37") and now love the feel, ball flight, everything. Definitely worth a try if you are in the one length camp. As an fyi, this is the only "one length" club I have.

Srixon Z565, Miyazaki Kaula Kori 6x
Cobra F9 Aldila Tour Blue 75x
Cobra F7 19* and 23* hybrids
Cobra Amp Forged 5-PW KBS Tour S+
Vokey SM6 50F, 54F, 58M
Spider Tour Red

You should look into the F8 One hybrids. I bought a 22* and at first wasn't in love, extended it to 37.5" (mine didn't have an Arccos so played 37") and now love the feel, ball flight, everything. Definitely worth a try if you are in the one length camp. As an fyi, this is the only "one length" club I have.

I have actually considered it. I play 2 regular length hybrids already so it wouldn't be a stretch. I hit my 5 and 6, five times yesterday. 3 hit fairways and 1 of 2 on greens hit. I carry a 3 cap, but at this point, I think the prob is more mental than physical. But the next step will be a ol hybrid.

Single Length Society -

Bryson DeCh has, from what I can tell, a VERY narrow stance. Have any of you tried it with your OL set and, if so, how did it go compared to the traditional “slightly more than shoulder width” approach?

I have a very narrow stance. People tell me all the time I need to be wider, but I dont do it on purpose, it's just more comfortable to me.

Long time lurker of this post. My question(s) is, how do you go about adding/subtracting yards with your OL swing. Since switching to OL (Pinhawks) my yardages for clubs below 6 has increased by 15 yds or so. An AW used to be 110, now it's 125. At first, I was hitting over every green, now I feel like it the pin needs to be an exact number for me to get close. Also, what about 100 yds in? My OL LW is no good unless swung full, currently have a VL 54. I am considering taking the OL LW out and going with VL 54/58. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Long time lurker of this post. My question(s) is, how do you go about adding/subtracting yards with your OL swing. Since switching to OL (Pinhawks) my yardages for clubs below 6 has increased by 15 yds or so. An AW used to be 110, now it's 125. At first, I was hitting over every green, now I feel like it the pin needs to be an exact number for me to get close. Also, what about 100 yds in? My OL LW is no good unless swung full, currently have a VL 54. I am considering taking the OL LW out and going with VL 54/58. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Well I play the cobra forged tec one black, and my gaps are perfect all the way up until gw to sw. My sw is a 56* cobra black ol. My gw is about 125 and my sw is about 105 max. For me, I just 3/4 to 1/2 swing the gw. I tried choking down but prefer the shorter swing. I found choking down didn't really take enough off.

Well, a few rounds under the belt with my Cobra F7 irons, here's how it goes:

Full swings go really well from the 9 up to the 5 iron. I have no height or gapping problems, the irons feel really good at impact. The heads are big and forgiving, spin is good. On full swings there is very little not to like. The concept works well here.

But, and there's a huge BUT: Everything else apart from full swings doesn't really work for me so far. I am not really precise with the two wedges, I don't hit them on the screws often enough. If I have a perfect lie they get the job done, everything else doesn't really work well. I chunk shots too often. 30-50 yard pitches don't work at all. I practised all kinds of short game shots with them beforehand, hoping to get a grip on those, but I don't. I have major issues picking them clean, may it's because the 7 iron attack angle is different from what I was used to for the last 30 years. Shorter pitches and chips lack control, I tend to chunk more than I am used to. On finesse shot these lack in feel for the clubhead for me.

That's how it goes. To be honest, at the moment I don't know what I will do. The iron shots are good, I hit slightly more GIR than before, but If I miss the green I struggle badly at the moment. I lost 5-6 shots due to bad chipping and pitching on the last rounds, which is a shame because my long game is really sharp at the moment. I plan to get some more short game practice in, hopefully that does the trick. If not, I am willing to stop this experiment.

I think you'll likely get used to the longer wedges, but for now, just grip down! Lie will be a little flat relative to the ideal but not enough to bother you on such short chips and pitches. I play Cobra One Forged 6-GW ( wish I had the 5i!) and ground and bent an old Scratch SW to match, all on Matrix Programs 95s which I flighted to bring the ballflight down on the shorter clubs. I also built the short clubs slightly heavier to allow me to grip down without losing feel, and that has worked very well. I do find that I have better results when in between clubs to grip down the longer club and keep my swing solid, rather than use any kind 3/4 swing, but think that's the golfer not the equipment.

The biggest adjustment for me has really been spin - full shots with SW-9i spin significantly less than with a conventional set, so I'm now hitting to the target rather than beyond it, since I know I won't spin back much. I assume this has to do with the flatter swing plane but don't really know. The biggest benefit for me hasn't really been with scoring - that's about the same as with conventional clubs - but with pain level after a round. Since I'm standing taller over the ball I have much less lower back pain than previously.

I made a comparison One Length versus Variable length last week: an extensive range and practice green session and 18 and 9 holes with both sets. I hit it well at the moment, so it is a halfway valid comparison:

On full shots I hit the 5 and 6 irons equally well the VL 5 iron goes higher, lands softer and has slightly more carry. Dispersion with the OL was slightly better, but only slightly. 7 and 8 were almost identical, carry and height were the same, dispersion was good with both. On 9, PW and GW the VL set was the clear winner. I hit those cleaner, the flight with the wedges was a bit lower, the OL wedges went almost ridiculously high. The OL wedges stop dead on the greens, they produce enormous spin rates. I still hit the better shots with the VL wedges, the distance control simply was better. The PW goes a little bit farther, but I hit some flyers with it. All in all the trade-off is minimal. My game doesn't suffer from playing VL irons.

I then spent two hours chipping and pitching and played our 9 hole pitch and putt. I got the ball closer to the hole almost every time with the VLs, distance control was much easier with these. 30 yard pitches went well with the VL, horrible with the OL. Gripping down on the OL made me lose feel for the clubhead, since I am used to not gripping down on chips and pitches the results were bad with the OL.

On the course it was the same story: 5 through 8 were comparable, from 100 yards in I was much more precise with the VL. I had zero control over short pitches, the flatter lie killed me. I played balls with both sets from the same spots, the VL came out as the clear winner. On my last 9 I hit only one green in regulation. I played one ball each with both sets from the spot that I missed it. Shots with the VL were all good (got up and down 4 times), OL was nowhere near the hole on every shot but one.

Since I am a shorter hitter I must rely on my short game to ride me to the barn. I don't trust the OL set to do that well. That's how it is.

My Sterlings have found their groove and my GIR has been the biggest benefactor. I was hovering around the 18% mark... it started to climb into the 30% .. and now I'm consistently in the high 50% range.

I'm about a 14 handicap so that's a big improvement for me and I hope to keep it going as my time with SL grows.

A SL hybrid is definitely next on the list.

Bag: Ping Hoofer Camo / Moonlite Driver: TM SIM2 Max 9* Hybrids: Cobra RAD Speed 19* & 25* Irons: Wishon Sterling SL 6-SW Wedge: KZG Forged TRS Grind 60* Putter: SGC WB Northwood Lovingly built by: Dan's Custom Golf

Most average golfers don't know how to hit partial shots in any case. It just sounds like you are in that group. You need to learn a partial swing, and then develop it. The need to do that is really no different from a regular set. Just different at which yardages it comes into play. What I'm saying is, this is part of becoming a golfer. In my time with the SL set, I thought it made all of that easier to do, because it was just one swing to learn. Learn to play the ball back when you want a lower shot. Learn to play it up for a higher shot. Learn to take something off. Choke down to hit shorter, it's not against the SL society rules. Etc. :)

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

I added the F8 One length 4 hybrid - hit it pretty well ... maybe it's the confidence but last time out I was smoking my standard Ping G 3 hybrid ...

I find if I swing the 5 iron and 6 iron easy, they work better ... I am struggling with pitching and chipping with the Gap wedge ... probably going to keep my 52/58 standard wedge set-up for a while and just use the Gap wedge for full shots ...

The Navy Vessel IV Pro bag:

Ping G425 Max Driver Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 Max 5w & 7w Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 4h & 5h Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 6-UW Alta CB Slate R

Ping Glide 3.0 54° WS & 58° Eye2 Z-115

Seemore PCB 33"

Back-up Hoofer range bag:

Ping Eye2+ 3-9 Aldila Low Torque Graphite, PW-SW KT Steel

Forged Tec Black One Update:

- 5 rounds in

- 3 in the 80s (all 89...counts!) New for me, as something in the 80s used to be a monthly affair. Not 100% due to the irons (new driver + switched to a mallet putter, which helped), but confidence is rising

Short Game:

- LOVE using the Gap Wedge that comes with the set. Feels light and hits nice towering approaches with 3/4 and full swings. Still getting used to the 56 and 60 (got these with the s300 non-black shafts vs. stock s200) but am hitting green side chips much more cleaner than I did with the VL wedges. Note: I’m 6 foot 4 and never had longer-than-standard wedges. All of my SLs are +0.5 inch longer

Long Game

- Still have some trouble with the 4 through 6 irons but getting better. Still haven’t trusted using a 7-iron smooth swing and a lot of miss hits are due to over swinging and not looking at the ball, dummy. One day I’ll trust the clubs

- Really like the idea of the 2/3 utility iron. Definitely a fairway finder, but also the club I hit the most poor shots with. Probably tee off with it 4-5 times a round, getting out there between 200-225 yards. Usually play off the ground since I start sweeping when on a tee. Again, if I can slow things down, this club is a weapon. Mishits aside, it is already much more accurate then my VL 3 irons off the tee. Sometimes the utility iron feels “heavy” and I get really short and fast on my swing...typically at the end of the rounds - gonna start using a push cart vs. carrying

Haven’t used the sensors yet.

Overall love these clubs and, after speaking to Cobra, I’m starting to trust the progressive lie angle approach + offset. Their support team (great service!) indicated that they received a lot of feedback on the Forged Ones going right for people, so these adjustments address that. Based on my experience with the Black Forged Tec vs. hitting the Forged Ones at the golf stores, I think they did a solid job! Additionally, I prefer the Black Forged Tec profile to the slightly larger F7/F8...both of which also felt solid when I originally tired them.

No charge for the stream of consciousness. One length life continues!

- 5 rounds in

- 3 in the 80s (all 89...counts!) New for me, as something in the 80s used to be a monthly affair. Not 100% due to the irons (new driver + switched to a mallet putter, which helped), but confidence is rising

Overall love these clubs and, after speaking to Cobra, I’m starting to trust the progressive lie angle approach + offset. Their support team (great service!) indicated that they received a lot of feedback on the Forged Ones going right for people, so these adjustments address that. Based on my experience with the Black Forged Tec vs. hitting the Forged Ones at the golf stores, I think they did a solid job! Additionally, I prefer the Black Forged Tec profile to the slightly larger F7/F8...both of which also felt solid when I originally tired them.

If you don't mind, please post up some photos of your iron faces and sole (perhaps the 7 iron or whatever iron you use the most). I'd like to see how the DBM finish is holding up in the blacks, thanks

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

- 5 rounds in

If you don't mind, please post up some photos of your iron faces and sole (perhaps the 7 iron or whatever iron you use the most). I'd like to see how the DBM finish is holding up in the blacks, thanks

Awesome idea. I know a lot of us are interested to see the results.

Also, I know I'd like to know how often he goes to the range in addition to the rounds played and when he's at the range how much of it is off mats or turf percentage wise.

For sure! I have family in town this week (we just had our first baby girl) so give me some time to circle back with pics.

- 6 rounds in, frequently hitting second/third approach shots as practice and to space the slower groups in front of me

- zero range sessions (other than like 8 balls to warm up before one of the rounds)

In the meantime: not sure if this is blasphemy, but the hackers paradise has a good thread on these irons (they talk about both the VL and SL models). I don’t participate the. Simply read it. Page 23 has some pics and there may be some others.

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php/101676-Cobra-KING-Forged-TEC-Black-Irons/page23

More to come!

But, overall: I’ve cleaned after each round and haven’t noticed anything bad with the finish. Pics to follow

In the last few weeks or so the toplines of my F8s have started to get marred as well.

Continue to love the clubs but really disappointed in how they've held up, I mean I've only have them for a few months at this point.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

Two things I have to ask, and maybe asked other places but I feel they're fairly specific.

1.) Is it a horrid idea to take an old set, take the shafts out and stick a 7 iron shaft in each head? Lead tape for swingweight, To keep that consistent. I don't quite understand the purpose of these sets specifically for one-length...

2.) Saw a few times that a 37.25" GW, SW and LW is awkward, like quite awkward, which I can imagine. (But perhaps curious to test...) So, has anyone stopped the one length and kept those wedges at normal variable length, is it odd to go 37.25" PW and then into a 35.5" GW? Is the yardage gap horrific?

I wanted to ask this because as I sit here and think more and more this whole one-length idea is beginning to make sense. Pure consistency in having all the irons one length, I know that's the idea, maybe wedges in the one-length is a slight step too far...

Thanks for help!

Ping G430 LST 9 Project X HZRDUS Red RDX 6X

Ping G430 LST 15@14 Project X HZRDUS Black Gen 4 7X

Ping G430 3H Ping Tour Chrome 2.0 85X

Ping Blueprint S 4-PW Orange Dot Dynamic Gold X100

Ping S159 50, 56, 60 X100 in 50, 56, S400 in 60

SeeMore SBC20 46" Broomstick

https://www.ebay.com...=item1ee254e862

Here's a pretty good deal for anyone thinking of trying SL irons..........

Not sure if I'd personally trust those, knowing the problems TM had with face slots. But they are inexpensive!

However - I can vouch for the Integra iWin heads, which are also 'value' clubs. They're kinda G30 copies-ish, with a nice rounded sole and a fair bit of bounce. 431SS feels nice and soft; specs were spot on for me. Probably more forgiving than the Pinhawks if you're looking to go SL on the cheap.

Two things I have to ask, and maybe asked other places but I feel they're fairly specific.

1.) Is it a horrid idea to take an old set, take the shafts out and stick a 7 iron shaft in each head? Lead tape for swingweight, To keep that consistent. I don't quite understand the purpose of these sets specifically for one-length...

2.) Saw a few times that a 37.25" GW, SW and LW is awkward, like quite awkward, which I can imagine. (But perhaps curious to test...) So, has anyone stopped the one length and kept those wedges at normal variable length, is it odd to go 37.25" PW and then into a 35.5" GW? Is the yardage gap horrific?

I wanted to ask this because as I sit here and think more and more this whole one-length idea is beginning to make sense. Pure consistency in having all the irons one length, I know that's the idea, maybe wedges in the one-length is a slight step too far...

Thanks for help!

The only problem converting a traditional VL set is that the lie angles are all different. Your 7-iron will be fine, but the lie angles in your wedges will be too high and longer irons too low.

Many posters in this thread keep traditional length SW and LW. You don't run into gapping issues with these clubs as much, because they are typically used on less than full swings.

I have ~ 5 rounds in with my King Forged Tec OL. I'm not going back to VL anytime soon. I ordered 3-LW (still waiting on the 3 and 4) but I am hitting the middle of the face practically every swing with these irons. I bought the PW/GW/SW/LW on a whim, thinking I wouldn't like them, but I really like them. I don't find full shots, half shots, or finesse shots difficult at all with these. A+, great irons, great feel, fantastic sound.

Thanks for help!

Ive been playing my set (F7's, 5-GW) for a little over a month now, and I still play my scoring wedges in VL. I will say it took a little bit to get consistent but I like the concept, and I have never hit my long irons better. The only area I really struggle is the GW and sometime the PW. I am honestly thinking about putting my old VL GW (and maybe PW) back in, so at that point my OL would be 5-9/PW, and VL the rest of the way. Ive found the most benefit in the longer irons for sure (5-8).

Hope this helps.

Cobra LtdX LS - Fujikura Ventus Velocore Red/Purple 6S

Cobra SZ Tour - 16.5 Ventus Velocore Blue 7S

Cobra Radspeed Hybrid - 19 Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8s

Sub 70 699u Pro 4i - Ventus Velocore HB Blue 8s

Sub 70 699 Pro 5-AW - Project X 5.5 Flighted

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54 and RTX Zipcore 58

Odyssey Versa Jailbird 380 - MH insert at 38"

Callaway Chrome Soft X LS - Triple Track