2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

The thrill is gone

Chowdah86

I hit that wall now and then. Been playing golf for 50 years so the only thing that changes are the courses and people (and my distance!). Once the equipment disease addiction passes, you lose an element of fun, so that can be depressing. I have the blessing of being a snowbird, so every 6 months I get a fresh start with revisiting old friends and courses and that usually gets my juices flowing again . You might just need a break.

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You either need to change on course beverages, get some ol buds together, or in true wrx fashion go to a NEW golf store and try new gear!

Hope the enjoyment comes back soon.

Cobra F9 44.75” Daytona Speeder S.  
Cobra F9 3w Atmos S 
Mizuno 5W JPX 900 Blue S

Ping 4Hybrid
Ping BPS Pro Modus 105s 4-PW

SM9 black 50, 56. Wedgeworks 60 T 

SC Kombi S 

I went through a slump like this before when i had a bad shank case for a few months, but I took 4 months off. 4 months of no new clubs, no rounds, no practice. I even sold a lot of my golf clothes and other gear and yes just left 14 clubs in case I want to come back. After the vacation I came back with such a hunger for golf, I missed it so so much. Its like a fresh start, youll come back and just rely on fundamentals and not any style based swing crap you see on youtube. Maybe give it a try?

G400 LST
TM SLDR TS
Apex UT 18'
Apex MB 18'
RTX 2.0 Raw
Ping Anser Milled

Yeah, Im just bitchin.

I just re-read it. Whatta bunch of bs haha. First world problems.

my first two wives were the main reason I was jazzed to play everyday. Now I work on a course(for a great company) and my third wife plays too. In fact she wins more $$$ than I do. Find a playing partner with as much enthusiasm as you

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

I went through a slump like this before when i had a bad shank case for a few months, but I took 4 months off. 4 months of no new clubs, no rounds, no practice. I even sold a lot of my golf clothes and other gear and yes just left 14 clubs in case I want to come back. After the vacation I came back with such a hunger for golf, I missed it so so much. Its like a fresh start, youll come back and just rely on fundamentals and not any style based swing crap you see on youtube. Maybe give it a try?

Good plan.

Although I’m not sure it’s possible to go four rounds without new clubs, let alone four months.

Lots of great stuff here. I really like the ones suggesting low T. Ill look into that haha.

Just a little pity party there. Been a rough month off the course. On course, its been great. I actually shot my career best a couple of weeks prior. Felt pretty anticlimactic given other things going on. Started to realize that I may not be getting back all the time I've put in over the years (despite the score). This game is a hell of an escape, like a drug. You cant think of much else when trying to hit that little white ball and you've always got a couple of other equally deranged ppl to do it with. I think that type of Hobby can be unhealthy when spread over several years.

I'm going to let that handicap float up a bit. Been playing less often, keeping the rounds light with friends. T

A little bit similar to you OP. I've been dealing with a physical issue for the past few years that has frustrated me to no end. Makes swinging a golf club the way I know how very difficult. My handicap has gone up for the last couple years, after having always gone down or remained flat. Practicing hurts, so I don't do it. I have low expectations for each round I play.

After trying every possible avenue to avoid it (exercise/diet, therapy, massage, acupuncture, chiro), I have booked surgery for the fall. Just knowing I'm having the surgery scheduled is a relief. Looking to dominate 2019.

Im over it. The thrill is gone. I no longer get excited about new club releases. I barely get excited about anything on the course anymore. I am having trouble caring, focusing, on the green, over the ball. I have been playing this game for decades and this is the first time I can say that I really dont care about the next shot anymore. Sure, I enjoy the walk outside, having a chat with a playing partner, but Im becoming more and more disinterested in hitting the green, holing the putt.

The one thing that gets me to focus is having a few bucks to play for. Competition may be my last vestige of interest in the game.

I'm afraid I'm with you. Even the competition is a problem in my group. A couple of the guys are old and one handicapped to some degree. They are allowed to play from such a short distance that birdies are much easier to come by than for the rest of us. Hard to make a fair bet. May go to playing 9 by myself here and there just to get outside. I guess I'm getting closer to riding off into the sunset as far as golf is concerned.

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

Lots of great stuff here. I really like the ones suggesting low T. Ill look into that haha.

Just a little pity party there. Been a rough month off the course. On course, its been great. I actually shot my career best a couple of weeks prior. Felt pretty anticlimactic given other things going on. Started to realize that I may not be getting back all the time I've put in over the years (despite the score). This game is a hell of an escape, like a drug. You cant think of much else when trying to hit that little white ball and you've always got a couple of other equally deranged ppl to do it with. I think that type of Hobby can be unhealthy when spread over several years.

I'm going to let that handicap float up a bit. Been playing less often, keeping the rounds light with friends. T

If the lack of interest extends into other spheres and pleasure is also hard to find elsewhere I'd want to know if your mood is depressed or anxious, if your appetite or sleep are disturbed, if your energy levels are reduced, if your thoughts are generally negative and tending towards guilty feelings as is kind of suggested above. I'd probably have wanted to know a whole lot else too if I were still a shrink, but now I just play golf. If though you are saying yes to some of these go see your doctor. (And it would have nothing to do with testosterone.) If your saying no, then why not just take a break. It's not compulsory just, for some of us, compulsive

Im over it. The thrill is gone. I no longer get excited about new club releases. I barely get excited about anything on the course anymore. I am having trouble caring, focusing, on the green, over the ball. I have been playing this game for decades and this is the first time I can say that I really dont care about the next shot anymore. Sure, I enjoy the walk outside, having a chat with a playing partner, but Im becoming more and more disinterested in hitting the green, holing the putt.

I sold all of my extra clubs, whittled it down 14. I only carry the 9 clubs i really like and feel like I need. I switched from Pro v's to Pinnacle softs and started to use a sunday bag instead of the big dumb monstrosity that I had before. I dont use a GPS anymore, I just look at the stakes and estimate. I barely line up my putts, just kinda tap it a little closer or in to get out of my playing partners way. The funny thing is that my scores are suffering, but not that badly. My swing is getting looser, I've had to weaken my grip because I am releasing the club more out of laziness and purely not giving a crap. Im hitting it about 10 yards shorter.

The one thing that gets me to focus is having a few bucks to play for. Competition may be my last vestige of interest in the game. Then again, I have more interest in a game of corn hole than I do playing golf for cash. I also enjoy helping people learn and become better. Especially those brand new to the game. I think I have a knack for it.

Anyone else get to this place? Just kind of realize its all one big jackoff? The fancy courses, the club releases, the mythical swing ideas? Just somewhat disenchanted? I feel like I just woke up from a 10 year daze where I didnt care about anything else but golf. Im like on the other side of this bubble. I have the skill, the knowledge, the clubs, the membership, I just dont really have the excitement or drive.

If I didn't know better ... I would have thought I wrote that post!

I'm there.

I've been here for a while now.

Continue onward as I feel it's an obligation.

There just isn't anything that gets me fired up anymore.

I gotta say, and I have never, ever, experienced this before, but this past Saturday as I was fluttering down the Back 9, the ONLY thought that remotely brought a smile to my face was, "this is my final 9, I don't ever have to play another hole."

At a loss for words.

This is the place I’ve been in since I started playing, and it’s very enjoyable. You’re outside, you hit some great shots which is always nice, and you hit some bad ones but it’s only golf so it’s not important.

Only recently, as I’m getting better, do I actually care about my score and my putting, but that’s still mostly near the end of a good round when it looks like I can win a tournament or lower my handicap. Instead of reliving my best shots in the car back home, I’m thinking about the errors made and counting GIR, Fw and putts. So it seems Only now I’m slowly going to that place where many of you have always been. Which means I’ll have to practice to get better at the short game, stop making double and triple bogeys, which means less risk and more discipline.

Ping G400 Max 9* Tour75R
Taylormade M1 3HL
Callaway Apex 3 hybrid
Callaway Apex CF16 4-P
Callaway MackDaddy 4 50& 56 W-grind
Scotty Cameron Newport original

Sit your bag in the corner of the garage and pick it up when you miss playing. Until then, find something else to do that you consider fun. Life is too short to do something you don't enjoy to the fullest. I hope it works out for you either way.

I have a friend I play golf with that amazes me every time we play. The only requirement for him to want to play is that he is breathing. He acts like a kid in a candy shop on the first tee EVERY TIME. He always wants me to play during the winter when the temp gets above freezing, He has a cover for the riding cart and a heater. I don't play when it's that cold, but he is always asking.

He is 59 years old and shoots mid 70's to mid 80's. Maybe you need a golfing buddy like him.

Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5°
Callaway XR 16 3 wood
Callaway Mavrik Max 3 thru 5 hybrids
Srixon z565 6 thru PW
48°, 52° & 58° Cleveland CBX wedges
Ping Sigma 2 Kushin C flat stick

All subject to change in the blink of an eye.........and I blink a lot.

I get burnt out about every 3 years (and I am forced to take 6 months off due to sh*t Canadian winters)

I took last summer and most of the summer before off for the very reasons you stated

I came back this year and am loving the game again

go find a different hobby for a bit and come back when the hunger is there again

and if it isn't, oh well my man!

PING G425 LST 9* | Kuro Kage TiNi DC 60 X
Taylormade M2 15* | RIP Beta 70 X

Callaway XHP 21* | RIP Alpha 90 X
*** Irons: OPEN *** 

Cleveland RTX 4 52/56* (mid) | DGS400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K | DGS400
Scotty Cameron Special Select FB 5.5 35"

Start your off season early. If by April you're not itching to play then hit the BTS with your set and take the cash instead. It's not you, it's golf. Jk, it's you. Lol!

TSr2 10 Tensei Blue 65

TSr2 15 Tensei Blue 75

TSr2 21 Tensei Blue 75

Black T100.S 4-P LZ 6.0

Black SM9 48.10.F, 54.10.S, 62.08.M

Jet Set Newport 2 

Quit for a while then........That usually helps me out of the funk. I get the same feelings after a few rounds where I'm not playing well.

I had the same feeling about surfing. I just got sick of the crowds, trying to find a place to park at the beach, polluted water, ETC.

Surfing was the hardest thing to give up when I decided to escape from California.

Now i just go a couple of times a year. I love riding waves, but crowds have killed it.

Rogue ST Max LS or Paradym 10.5 (9.5) Ventus TR 5 R

Paradym 3HL  NVS 65 R
AI Smoke 21* and 24*
PXG GEN6 XP 2X Black 6-GW MMT 6 or AI Smoke 6-GW Tensei white 75 R

PM Grind 2.0 54 and 58

Bettinardi Innovai Rev 6.0  33” 

E.R.C. Soft TT/ Chrome Soft TT / TM Tour Response '20

I think some of it can be due to the course. I used to drool over the newest, resort-style courses. I used to love the overwhelming beauty of some of these stunning views and incredible holes. I have finally come to realize that these courses are just too difficult for me. They are long and extremely penal when missing a green or fairway. I have discovered a new love by playing some older park land courses in my my area. They are cheaper, easier to walk, and flat out easier to play. I give up those extremely manicured fairways ands and immaculate greens, but my enjoyment level has definitely risen.

PING G410 LST 9° Ping Tour 65 S

PING Tisi Tec 14° Fairway Aldila 350 S

Cobra Aerojet Hybrid 19° KBS PGI S

PING iCrossover 22° Ping Tour 85 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Pro 5-G DG 105 S

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 52° DG Spinner 115

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 58° DG Spinner 115

Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5

I sold all of my extra clubs, whittled it down 14. I only carry the 9 clubs i really like and feel like I need. I switched from Pro v's to Pinnacle softs and started to use a sunday bag instead of the big dumb monstrosity that I had before. I dont use a GPS anymore, I just look at the stakes and estimate. I barely line up my putts, just kinda tap it a little closer or in to get out of my playing partners way. The funny thing is that my scores are suffering, but not that badly. My swing is getting looser, I've had to weaken my grip because I am releasing the club more out of laziness and purely not giving a crap. Im hitting it about 10 yards shorter.

The one thing that gets me to focus is having a few bucks to play for. Competition may be my last vestige of interest in the game. Then again, I have more interest in a game of corn hole than I do playing golf for cash. I also enjoy helping people learn and become better. Especially those brand new to the game. I think I have a knack for it.

Anyone else get to this place? Just kind of realize its all one big jackoff? The fancy courses, the club releases, the mythical swing ideas? Just somewhat disenchanted? I feel like I just woke up from a 10 year daze where I didnt care about anything else but golf. Im like on the other side of this bubble. I have the skill, the knowledge, the clubs, the membership, I just dont really have the excitement or drive.

Move to Canada. You'll only get about 5 months of decent playing time available (if you're lucky) so you can't get burned out so easily.

I can relate somewhat to this situation. Just a combination of things, ie: Life Happens, can slowly pull you away from the game. My free time went toward following my son's baseball career. Every weekend throughout the summers, made it more difficult to just find time for an enjoyable weekend round with buddies. I have always been a modest club maker, always tinkering with gear. Then realized I was spending more time working on other peoples gear than my own. Years go by, and now recently retired, I'm trying to bring myself back to the game. Even though I didn't play much, I was always searching for the newest and best equipment. Then I realized I actually had so much gear I actually never put into play. New philosophy, simplify everything. Find what works, keep inventory to a minimum, and just go out and enjoy the golfing experience. Donated many clubs to my local First Tee, and now just try to ignore my old desires to hoe every new club that comes along. I am enjoying myself so much more, and golf is fun.

" I also enjoy helping people learn and become better. Especially those brand new to the game. I think I have a knack for it. "

Think u have have already figured out what brings u joy. Helping others. Maybe volunteer at your local club, share your knowledge with others. Witnessing their improvements, knowing you have been part of that, hopefully restores your desire to carry on with this wonderful game of GOLF.

A friend told me a story the other day. He was getting down on himself about his game. He went to see the local golf pro for an assessment. After a few swings he asked the Pro so What's the prognosis?

The pro told him to take 2 weeks off golf then quit. [joke] :drinks:

I’ve been there. Lost interest in the game a couple of years ago so I took two months off. First month I didn’t even look at my clubs but then I began just to have the odd practice putt, then was chipping in the back garden and before I knew it I was dying to play golf again.

No harm in taking a bit of time away, just don’t sell all your clubs so you have something to use when you inevitably come back. I’ve had friends that stopped playing for years but they always come back to the game.

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Tensei Blue
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Taylormade TP5x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

Been there. I am a lifetime tennis player that stopped playing cold turkey for golf. After years of frustration (not being able to shoot lower than 89) I gave it up (I thought) and went back to tennis. I realized tennis just wasn't as sexy as she used to be, so I left her AGAIN for golf. Golf and I have our arguments, but I've never threatened to leave her again. She's my boo! We are in love, despite our disagreements. Oh and I love my wife too! LOL!

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

1. Buy a set of j40 DPCs. Best way I know of to enjoy golf. Just kidding. Kind of. Not really.

2. The "problem" with golf is that it is both regressive in its improvement and you have no opponent, which is a combination that is found almost nowhere else (except maybe a Casino when you play semi-skill games against the house). As you get better, getting better is harder to actually show up in your score. Yet there is nobody you are playing "against" (like in tennis or chess) so you don't get that satisfying feeling of crushing some guy who used to be at your level before you got better. All you can do is grind it out. 90 to 85 is a different world from 75 to 70 in terms of time, effort, and patience. So most of the time it feels like you arn't getting anywhere in terms of skill. There are two ways to beat this:

(a) Keep much closer track of your statistics - basically double down on golf. You'll know you shot 71 again, but your up and down percent is averaging one hole better per round. Etc... If you go only on score you'll kill yourself because below about 82 its incredibly slow.

(b) Think of it as hanging out with your buddies and you just happen to be playing golf. You could be at a Saints game, or in a bar, or fishing, but instead it just so happens your playing golf, but you're there for your buddies. Ignore your score.

Being in the middle (caring about score a lot but not tracking it super close) makes the game suck when you get decent.

G400 Max 9* Ventus Red 5X, SIM Ventus Red 6X 

Callaway Mavrik 4 (18*) - AW (46*) Project X 5.5

Vokey SM4 50* SM5 56*

Cameron Phantom 5S

Sounds like your burned out take a step away for awhile ....i walked away for about 3 years i was as low as a 5 hdcp but was not enjoying the game ,now im slowly getting back but still spend alot of time in the gym working out i play now for the walk outside ....just step away for awhile GOOD LUCK

I think I had been there before, luckily never fell off the edge like you did but some other things happened and I'll get to that later. I think it's about perspective.

At one point, golf was priority #1. It was ahead of work, family or friends. My whole life evolved around golf and nothing else was allowed to get in the way. Everything was about chasing that thrill, whether it was new clubs, figuring out new shots or new courses. Even playing it wasn't about what the right way was to play a shot, but what was the more exciting way. Problem with that is golf is a game of misses. The more you chase it, the more you focus more on things that didn't go your way, and that takes you down a rabbit hole. I spend more and more time at the range, on course, thinking that I can score like Tiger, while playing Phil's game. Of course, that led to mounting frustration and I scrap plans so I could stay at range longer, play another round.. I was angry, impatient and mostly unavailable.

Then I met a great girl who was accommodating to me spending time with golf\practice. At first I thought I hit the jackpot.. we dated.. got married.. bought a house. As our relationship progressed, more and more things came up and took me away from golf, but more and more I realized how far down that rabbit hole I had gone and I was actually in a better place by dialing it down. Then our daughter came and it all changed for me. Now family is priority number 1, and everything else is secondary. While we still make plans so I can work in a weekend round most of the time, but I would not hesitate to give up that weekend opportunity so I can spend time with the family. I am a much happier person and golf is actually more fun again because making it out there is actually part of the thrill. The birdie made is what keeps me happy all week, vs before it was that eagle putt that I missed that kept me upset for the whole week. In the end, I guess I did hit the jackpot after all.

Basically what I am trying to say that the thrill comes with perspective. If you made golf pretty much your entire life, it would be difficult to keep the thrill going when the game dishes out more disappointment than anything else. If you take a step back and look around all the other things around you, do something else that you enjoy such as helping others to improve or getting beginners into the sport, you'll be able to appreciate the positive side of golf more and hopefully the fun would return to you once again.

PXG Gen 4 0811XT 9* Tensei White AV RAW 65X

PXG Gen 4 0341X 3W Tensei White AV RAW 75X

PXG Gen 1 0211 19* Tensei White AV RAW 90X

PXG 0317ST 4-W Extreme Darkness PX LZ 6.5

PXG SD2 50* & 54 PX LZ 6.0

PXG SD 58*

PXG Battle Ready Bat Attack Slant neck 34" 

The only time the thrill left me was due to an injury last year as I even though about just quitting but once I never pressured myself to get as good as I was it became fun again and I actually have been having the best rounds ever this year mainly because Golf is just a hobby and it always will be. Even professionals get burnt out. They have the free time and money to do other things that we could only wish we could do.

My job is what keeps me from getting out as much as I would like. Weather up here in Ohio keeps things in perspective as that is my break. Golfing down south would be so much fun but I could see getting burnt out quicker. Golf fees constantly raising the equipment skyrocketing thanks to PXG Lol as I used to buy something in the off season to keep that excitement alive. Crowded courses, nothing worse than waiting 15 min. to Tee off.

Sometimes just golfing by myself is now better as I'm getting outside and I can take that extra shot if I want and just play 9 holes instead of 18 can make a difference. Have fun don't take it so serious and when golfing with someone find someone who is fun to be around. There is no simple answer as we all are different but hopefully you will start enjoying the game again

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip