2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Taylormade M5 & M6 Woods - Pics added page 46

chadillac65

The Taylormade Rep came by the Golf Shop me and a buddy were doing our annual loft/lie distance checks before the season. He had the M5 460, M6 460 and both fairway woods as well. He let me put the M5 head in my gamer shaft and I was impressed. I hadn't warmed up and I only hit it twice but it was nice for sure. I really wanted to try the M5 Tour but he did not have one. None of the #'s stuck out other than neither hit was all that good and it was still performing. The real star was the M5 titanium 3 wood. Both my buddy and I hit that thing stupid good the 3 swings we each got out of it. A lot more testing to be done for sure, but initial looks and feel for me at least, left me wanting more.

Yeah, I have heard the star of the show will be the M5 fwys this year.

The tensei ck orange in the m5 fairway is only 72g in the x flex and yet the Mrc website show 78 grams. It’s also advertised at “75” vs the Mrc website as “70”. Pure made for shaft in a premium fairway as a stock option is disappointing.

I totally agree. I’m kind of confused at why they didn’t offer the PX smoke 80. Maybe they will at no extra cost as a custom option.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM MAX (10.5 degrees - set to 9.75 and 1.5 degrees open)

Shaft: Aldila Rogue 130 White 70 TX (at 45" and tipped 1")

3-wood: TaylorMade SIM (15 degrees)

Shaft: Aldila Rogue 130 Black 70 TX (at 43" and tipped 1")

UDI: *** Under Construction ***

Irons: TaylorMade P-7MC 4-PW (1 degree upright)

Shaft: Nippon Pro Modus3 Tour 120 X

Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Tour Rack (Raw) 52.10, 56.12 & 60.12

Shaft: Nippon Pro Modus3 Wedge 125

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Mid-Slant (at 34")

watching all the "promo" videos and reading everything on the new driver.......few things...

1.) "speed injected"?? I thought TM said that they inject resin to "slow" the face down and make it legal.

2.) TM said during some of the video interviews that they make the face exceed the legal limits first, then "individually" test each one to see how much resin to put in in each head to dial it just below the threshold!! I can see that process being done with their tour players but I can't imagine they'd do that for mass produced heads for us average golfers?! Or part of that high price tag covers that process in their manufacturing facility??

COBRA LTDx LS 9* 

Taylormade P790 2 Iron
Taylormade P790 3 - 4 Irons 
Taylormade P750 5 - 6 Irons 
Taylormade P730 7 - 9 Irons
ARTISAN GOLF 0318 mallet

ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 45* wedge 

ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 50* wedge
ARTISAN GOLF custom grind 55* wedge

watching all the "promo" videos and reading everything on the new driver.......few things...

1.) "speed injected"?? I thought TM said that they inject resin to "slow" the face down and make it legal.

2.) TM said during some of the video interviews that they make the face exceed the legal limits first, then "individually" test each one to see how much resin to put in in each head to dial it just below the threshold!! I can see that process being done with their tour players but I can't imagine they'd do that for mass produced heads for us average golfers?! Or part of that high price tag covers that process in their manufacturing facility??

Speed injected is marketing lingo. Don't overanalyze it.

If they truly are testing each head then it's part of the final head assembly and QA process. We don't know how much people or machine time it takes to test each head so we have to assume the additional cost is tied to that, at least partially. TM very well could have found an innovation in process where not much additional time.is spent on assembly so they blinded us with science and snookered us with marketing.

Price was going to jump anyway...

I do personally think that the increase in retail cost is mainly attributed to the additional hands on steps with the testing/resin. When you see that the amount of resin added from head to head varies, including location (some will have it in both heel and toe, some toe only, some heel only...all determined by the actual testing), all of this almost has to be done by hand. That has to add to the cost of the club.

As a result of all of this it finally makes some sense to get driver fit. Before I never wanted to chance receiving a dead head . This should illicit some spirited responses lol!

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX

Mizuno STZ Max 12.0 Project X Hzrdus Black RDX 70 6.5

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 MCA MMT 80X

Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Cobra Snakebite 23 V 58 Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

Here's a question no one has asked.

My eyes tell me the M5 weights are identicle to M3 Weights??

Are they interchangable?

Taylormade QI10LS 10.5 (@9.5) Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6S (Testing Velocore + 6S)
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15 (@14.50) Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1S Tipped .5"
Callaway Apex "21" 19/3H Aldila Rogue Black TS95 Tipped .5"
Taylormade SLDR 4i DGSLS300S
Taylormade P750 7-PW P770 5i-6i DG AMT White S300
Taylormade MG2 52 DGTIS400, MG4TW 56/12 DGTIS400, & Tour Issued MG3 Hi Toe 60/09 DGTIS200 115
Scotty Cameron TeI3 Long Neck Newport 2 34" (34")
Bridgestone Tour B XS (Testing New TP5x)

Here's a question no one has asked.

My eyes tell me the M5 weights are identicle to M3 Weights??

Are they interchangable?

Yes...I asked and someone said...………….. "YES".

DRIVER:  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / HZRDUS G4 Black 6.0

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

TAYLORMADE `24 P Series UDI 17* and 22*, Recoil Dart 105X

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X // PXG 0317CB, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN0311XP, Double Black, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

I am curious as to why the M6 looks alot like the new F9 cobra driver with the speedback part on the bottom back of the head :blush2:

Oh boy here we go..

...again. Been mentioned already many times. The Adams 9015D also had that "speedback part". Not a revolutionary design feature at all.

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

Let me add more marketing BS for you: I really dislike the look of the sole on the M5 drivers. I thought I'd get used to it, but the lighter color carbon panel doesn't work for me. It looks kind of cheap and out of place on a $550 driver. The only thing I could come up with is TaylorMade wanting the sole of the driver to stand out now that the silver on top is so much smaller. No idea if that's true or not, just idle speculation.

But, am I going to bypass the M5 because of the sole aesthetics? No, I'll still get one. The driver from the address position is sexy as hell. Easily the best looking driver I've used and makes my M3 look old and crusty each time I've teed it up in the simulator since I hit the M5 in late November.

Anything on a M6 tour version fairway?

There are no plans to sell an M6 tour version fairway. If that exists in any form, we weren't told about it. The M6 does have a slightly taller face than did the M4 fairway, however.

From a size perspective, this is something interesting that I haven't seen mentioned. The M5 fairway is larger than the M3 fairway. If I recall correctly, the M5 fairway is ~165cc, whereas the M3 was ~140cc. The M6 is a little larger at ~185cc. The M6 was called the Jason Day fairway during the keynote, as he had a lot of input and the goal was to finally make him a fairway wood that he felt comfortable with.

Finally, there is no 3HL any more (I believe I've seen this mentioned). The reason given is that the M5 and M6 both launch higher than past models, so there is no need for a HL version.

Thanks happy about the M5 CC size then. M3 was too small for my liking.

Exactly. It was way too small. It was the best performing 3 wood when hit square but after a few beers it’s a scary club.

Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 7*........................Project X Smoke Green 60 TX
Taylormade Stealth Plus 13*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 8X
Taylormade Stealth Plus 17*.........................Fujikura Ventus Black 9X

Srixon ZX Utility 3..........................................Fujikura Ventus Black 10TX
Srixon ZX Utility 4..........................................Dynamic Gold X7
Srixon ZX7 5-9...............................................Dynamic Gold X7
Cleveland Zipcore Raw 47, 53......................Dynamic Gold X7

Vokey Wedge Works V Grind 59..................Dynamic Gold S400
Yes! Ann.........................................................KBS GPS 120

Let me add more marketing BS for you: I really dislike the look of the sole on the M5 drivers. I thought I'd get used to it, but the lighter color carbon panel doesn't work for me. It looks kind of cheap and out of place on a $550 driver. The only thing I could come up with is TaylorMade wanting the sole of the driver to stand out now that the silver on top is so much smaller. No idea if that's true or not, just idle speculation.

But, am I going to bypass the M5 because of the sole aesthetics? No, I'll still get one. The driver from the address position is sexy as hell. Easily the best looking driver I've used and makes my M3 look old and crusty each time I've teed it up in the simulator since I hit the M5 in late November.

Anything on a M6 tour version fairway?

There are no plans to sell an M6 tour version fairway. If that exists in any form, we weren't told about it. The M6 does have a slightly taller face than did the M4 fairway, however.

From a size perspective, this is something interesting that I haven't seen mentioned. The M5 fairway is larger than the M3 fairway. If I recall correctly, the M5 fairway is ~165cc, whereas the M3 was ~140cc. The M6 is a little larger at ~185cc. The M6 was called the Jason Day fairway during the keynote, as he had a lot of input and the goal was to finally make him a fairway wood that he felt comfortable with.

Finally, there is no 3HL any more (I believe I've seen this mentioned). The reason given is that the M5 and M6 both launch higher than past models, so there is no need for a HL version.

Thanks happy about the M5 CC size then. M3 was too small for my liking.

Exactly. It was way too small. It was the best performing 3 wood when hit square but after a few beers it's a scary club.

This exactly.

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

I am curious as to why the M6 looks alot like the new F9 cobra driver with the speedback part on the bottom back of the head :blush2:

Much like the Nike Vapor Flex from a few years go, as well...not a new concept and seemingly not proprietary either

Titleist TSi3 Driver
Taylormade M6 15 3-Wood
Titleist u500 2i
Titleist T100 Irons 4-P
Titleist Vokey Wedges 50, 54, 58
TM Spider Tour X
Titleist Pro V1

RLX Apparel with Footjoy Shoes & Gloves

Lol. But they have someone on here claiming 10 mph now and 1.55 smash. I'm flabbergasted that nobody else saw that post.

Trackman is probably under-reporting clubhead speed. Common issue.

Is this true ? I thought it over reported it ?

Depends on a lot of factors. COG, materials, strike location. High on face toward the toe will absolutely under-report (which seems to be his tendency).

if that is the case it is really off, and he swing in the 120 range. i doubt that it is that far off. and yes, it typically over reports club head speed to ball speed. See Tiger wood's 129 club head speed record last year as an example.

You get the fluctuation on tour because they tee the ball up all over the place and it is not centered in Trackman's window, additionally tiger hits driver more low and toward the heel. It doesn't "typically" do anything. It is 100% dependent on setup, strike, COG of the club, ROC, ect, and even then trackman isn't great at reading CHS. The ballspeed is all that matters here.

I don't own a single Taylormade club FWIW.

I don’t get how people are so underwhelmed. Center hits are maxed out. Companies are now trying to improve off center hits. Clubs are at or near the legal limit. I don’t see why people think every year these clubs are going to blow away the previous generation. I am just getting back into golf after quite a few years so any new clubs will completely destroy my old ones. If you are gaming an M3 or M4 then that won’t be the case. If I didn’t need different shafts then I would just buy last years models at a discount. Since I need different shafts I will just order the M6 direct from Taylormade with a shaft they offer for the same price or a minor upcharge for say the Evenflow white.

1.55 smash ? Lol kingdom monitor on peds ?

Interesting for sure. I had a 1.56 factor at Callaway in Carlsbad almost 20 yrs ago which was the highest number they had seen at that time. Rare for sure. The highest I have ever had and I have been tested in two run at Callaway, one at Cleveland in Huntington Beach, three times at TM Kingdom in Carlsbad and twice at TM Kingdom at Reynolds Plantation GA.

So if the max smash factor is 1.50 then all the ones over 1.50 really don't mean anything because it is the machine being out of adjustment or just "mechanically confused"........is that correct or is it me that is confused....(a definite possibility) LOL!!!

Edit: God it was so much easier to go into a pro shop and pick out the persimmon driver you liked the look of best and call it a day........

Driver .....TM M2  12* ... Stock shaft Reg.

3 Wood...TM M2 HL 16*..stock reg shaft

7 Wood  TM  M2... stock shaft reg.

Hybrids....Adams.... A3OS Boxer  3-4-5 hybrids..Grafalloy  platinum Reg flex

Cobra F7 one length irons..... 6 - SW .. ...shafts.. Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue Axis @ 37.5"

Putter (varies) currently Custom made Starship model

Peace....  Update... 69 yrs old shot 68 this summer(2021)... God I love this game...

Interesting for sure. I had a 1.56 factor at Callaway in Carlsbad almost 20 yrs ago which was the highest number they had seen at that time. Rare for sure. The highest I have ever had and I have been tested in two run at Callaway, one at Cleveland in Huntington Beach, three times at TM Kingdom in Carlsbad and twice at TM Kingdom at Reynolds Plantation GA.

So if the max smash factor is 1.50 then all the ones over 1.50 really don't mean anything because it is the machine being out of adjustment or just "mechanically confused"........is that correct or is it me that is confused....(a definite possibility) LOL!!!

Edit: God it was so much easier to go into a pro shop and pick out the persimmon driver you liked the look of best and call it a day........

That's correct. The other possibility is that the club is illegal, which isn't likely.

That's correct. The other possibility is that the club is illegal, which isn't likely.

As has been mentioned in this thread, TrackMan will sometimes under report swing speed and that can lead to high smash factors. I've yet to have a top notch fitter worry about smash factor or swing speed during a TrackMan driver fitting. It is literally never mentioned. All they focus on with me are ball speed, launch angle, spin, and whatever the ball is doing down range during flight. It's all about the ball.

The bottom line with the shot in question is that you either trust the ball speed number off the TrackMan, or you're implying TaylorMade somehow juiced the TrackMan to over report ball speed and make the club look good. There is really no in between. If the TrackMan was juiced somehow, I would have seen higher ball speed numbers during my fitting, but I did not.

Having been there and watched this particular shot, seeing its flight and where it landed in comparison to the earlier shots in his fitting (and having played golf with this individual for 15+ years), I believe the ball speed number 100%.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9.0, Ventus TR Blue 6X, 45.5"

TaylorMade 300 Mini Blackout 13.5, Ventus Black 7X, 43"

TaylorMade Stealth2 Plus 4 (16.5), Ventus TR Red 7X, 42.5"

TaylorMade P770 3 (2023), DG X100 (SSx2)

TaylorMade P7MC Raw 4-PW, DG Mid X100 (SSx1)
TaylorMade MG Raw 52, DG S400

Titleist SM9 58T, DG S400
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport, 34"
TaylorMade TP5x (2024)

My WITB Post

I don't get how people are so underwhelmed. Center hits are maxed out. Companies are now trying to improve off center hits. Clubs are at or near the legal limit. I don't see why people think every year these clubs are going to blow away the previous generation. I am just getting back into golf after quite a few years so any new clubs will completely destroy my old ones. If you are gaming an M3 or M4 then that won't be the case. If I didn't need different shafts then I would just buy last years models at a discount. Since I need different shafts I will just order the M6 direct from Taylormade with a shaft they offer for the same price or a minor upcharge for say the Evenflow white.

you dont see why ?? wth/ " everyone gets faster " or whatever the tag line is for 30 something sleeps now ..Lets dont act as if seeing gains are unreal expectations per the marketing promises...

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

As has been mentioned in this thread, TrackMan will sometimes under report swing speed and that can lead to high smash factors. I've yet to have a top notch fitter worry about smash factor or swing speed during a TrackMan driver fitting. It is literally never mentioned. All they focus on with me are ball speed, launch angle, spin, and whatever the ball is doing down range during flight. It's all about the ball.

The bottom line with the shot in question is that you either trust the ball speed number off the TrackMan, or you're implying TaylorMade somehow juiced the TrackMan to over report ball speed and make the club look good. There is really no in between. If the TrackMan was juiced somehow, I would have seen higher ball speed numbers during my fitting, but I did not.

Having been there and watched this particular shot, seeing its flight and where it landed in comparison to the earlier shots in his fitting (and having played golf with this individual for 15+ years), I believe the ball speed number 100%.

I never said i doubted the ball speed . I just doubt it IF the clubhead speed is correct... id say hes swinging 118 or better or maybe 115 and a dead perfect strike

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I didn't watch the golf live last night, but saw the PGA Tour instagram clip of McIlroy smashing it but to me that seems his normal ball flight, ball speed from last year.

1 sample size so hard to judge but.......

I love my M3 so not looking to change myself this year.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

hit some tp5x ( current model ) on trackman this morning .. I did see 2 mph average over 18 v1x...BUT i didnt see a gain over chrome soft X or either bridgestone ball. It kind of backs up what ive been saying for a year .. the 18 v1x is a really really bad golf ball ... I saw it on course at a club short and really short on driver .. I wonder how many pro players actually use it ? Im betting very few ... Most likely using several of the custom iterations or the older v1x that is loved.

edit - ill also add that was hitting inside to outside net as its pouring rain here ... Id still lile to see the real flight and distances , roll etc .. and plan to test it and the new balls when they come out

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I don't get how people are so underwhelmed. Center hits are maxed out. Companies are now trying to improve off center hits. Clubs are at or near the legal limit. I don't see why people think every year these clubs are going to blow away the previous generation. I am just getting back into golf after quite a few years so any new clubs will completely destroy my old ones. If you are gaming an M3 or M4 then that won't be the case. If I didn't need different shafts then I would just buy last years models at a discount. Since I need different shafts I will just order the M6 direct from Taylormade with a shaft they offer for the same price or a minor upcharge for say the Evenflow white.

you dont see why ?? wth/ " everyone gets faster " or whatever the tag line is for 30 something sleeps now ..Lets dont act as if seeing gains are unreal expectations per the marketing promises...

With all the hush hush, resin injection, etc if the new drivers didn’t add 10+ mph in ball speed and 20 yards on off center hits it was going to get flamed by the community.

Titleist TR2 - Graphite design DI

Titleist Tsi2 - 15*

Callaway Apex 20*

Srixon ZX 7 4-PW

Cleveland Zipcore 54* & 58*

Odyssey #7 CH

Looks like there's a hidden Jailbreak Tech just in the M5??

Nice find...

Don't recall the M3 having a jailbreak like support system and it's a similar track to the M5 abliet, yeah, it's Y vs T track. I guess the WRX guy who use to do the X-Ray driver heads may want to take a few pictures to confirm.

Wonder what Callaway will say about that...

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz.1 ACCRA shaft / Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with OG BGT Stability shaft
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

Rick Shiels you tube review was deflating.

Really?

I thought he did himself a disservice. It was like he was so obsessed with measuring ballspeed - he completely ignored the other numbers.

If I saw correctly - his ballspeed was about the same as a bunch of other clubs. OK, boo hoo, everyone didnt get faster. But then he breezed through the final chart which showed that the M5 launched higher with way lower spin than his "ideal range". His carry distance was 5 yards high than the high end of that range and the total distance was 8 yards farther.

edit - screenshot added

Would have really expected him to highlight - AND BE EXCITED BY - those results. But instead he seemed so sad at the end of the video talking about, awhhh what a downside it was that he didn't see more ballspeed. He also said on offcenter hits he still missed fairways? No kidding. A couple shots of the drivers showed tee marks all over the place.

Personally I'd have to go back and try hard to find drivers that gave him these numbers.

FWIW the sound of the M5 compared to the M3 is what stood out to me.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

Looks like there's a hidden Jailbreak Tech just in the M5??

Nice find...

Don't recall the M3 having a jailbreak like support system and it's a similar track to the M5 abliet, yeah, it's Y vs T track. I guess the WRX guy who use to do the X-Ray driver heads may want to take a few pictures to confirm.

Wonder what Callaway will say about that...

It looks like that's in a place that would be supporting the carbon crown. I doubt that would be working like Jailbreak does, as I'd doubt that anchoring the carbon crown to the sole would prevent or limit overall deformation at impact like Jailbreak does, since the Jailbreak rods in Callaway are in the titanium (stronger area) portion of the club.