2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Poll: Will Tiger Break Jacks Major Record?

Pigems

50% yes/maybe

Guy couldnt walk last year.

Remarkable.

How is he doing this?!

Quit making stuff up ... He was scuba diving last year. Yes, he could walk. His comeback is amazing, there is no need to embellish.

Im not saying it

He is saying it,

“Just to be able to compete and play again this year – that’s a hell of a comeback. I was beyond playing. I couldn’t sit.

I couldn’t walk.

I couldn’t lay down without feeling the pain in my back and my leg. That was a pretty low point for a very long time.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/sport/golf/1022252/Tiger-Woods-Tour-Championship-Ryder-Cup-I-could-not-walk/amp

Where did he say that he couldn't walk last year? And, again, his photos and accounts of free diving with his kids tell a different story.

You remindin me

I gonna get some tatertots!

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make whatever arguments you want about who's the greatest, but I KNOW Tiger is the better golfer. Anyone who thinks otherwise is off their rocker. Jack was sustained greatness and incredibly consistent. Tiger obliterated courses and the field, playing golf at a level we haven't seen from anyone before or since.

Seriously, we are talking about old man, pieced back together Tiger winning 5 more majors. That's more majors than Jordan Spieth has, 4 more than Rose, current world number 1. Put that in perspective when remembering how good Tiger was.

As for the GOAT argument, Jack played golf while Bill Russell was winning 10 championships with the Celtics. No one considers Russell the GOAT. Skill is definitely an aspect of determining the GOAT.

And there isn't a person on the planet that would argue that basketball was played during those days at the level it is today.

Now golf on the other hand...

It was different and in many ways a lot better than the basketball being played today and thousands of knowledgeable basketball fans would argue that point every day of the week.

You want to see high level team basketball, watch some games played by the Havlicek prime era Celtics, the Clyde Knicks, Maravich in his prime, some incredible Denver teams in the 70s, Dr. J era Sixers, Chamberlain era Lakers, Magic era Lakers, to some "those days" include Jordan era Bulls, lol.

Perspective people.

And if you love Tiger, enjoy! Big Cat is incredible.

Just try not to lose your mind, lol.

Basketball was so much better (and yes, I realize how old that makes me sound!) until the started letting the Pistons employ their “thuggery” tactics. To me, that’s when the purity of the game started to go away.

As much as I hated the Lakers, was there anything more majestic than watching a Magic led fastbreak (usually culminating in a Worthy flying one handed dunk)?

I would have perhaps agreed with you until the current Golden State team came to be. Team basketball, multiple passes every possessing, little regard for stats except wins.

Titleist TSR4 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

50% yes/maybe

Remarkable.

How is he doing this?!

Quit making stuff up ... He was scuba diving last year. Yes, he could walk. His comeback is amazing, there is no need to embellish.

Im not saying it

He is saying it,

“Just to be able to compete and play again this year – that’s a hell of a comeback. I was beyond playing. I couldn’t sit.

I couldn’t walk.

I couldn’t lay down without feeling the pain in my back and my leg. That was a pretty low point for a very long time.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/sport/golf/1022252/Tiger-Woods-Tour-Championship-Ryder-Cup-I-could-not-walk/amp

Where did he say that he couldn't walk last year? And, again, his photos and accounts of free diving with his kids tell a different story.

You remindin me

I gonna get some tatertots!

Lotsa salt, no ketchup ... No man eats a tot with ketchup!

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

Make whatever arguments you want about who's the greatest, but I KNOW Tiger is the better golfer. Anyone who thinks otherwise is off their rocker. Jack was sustained greatness and incredibly consistent. Tiger obliterated courses and the field, playing golf at a level we haven't seen from anyone before or since.

Seriously, we are talking about old man, pieced back together Tiger winning 5 more majors. That's more majors than Jordan Spieth has, 4 more than Rose, current world number 1. Put that in perspective when remembering how good Tiger was.

As for the GOAT argument, Jack played golf while Bill Russell was winning 10 championships with the Celtics. No one considers Russell the GOAT. Skill is definitely an aspect of determining the GOAT.

And there isn't a person on the planet that would argue that basketball was played during those days at the level it is today.

Now golf on the other hand...

It was different and in many ways a lot better than the basketball being played today and thousands of knowledgeable basketball fans would argue that point every day of the week.

You want to see high level team basketball, watch some games played by the Havlicek prime era Celtics, the Clyde Knicks, Maravich in his prime, some incredible Denver teams in the 70s, Dr. J era Sixers, Chamberlain era Lakers, Magic era Lakers, to some "those days" include Jordan era Bulls, lol.

Perspective people.

And if you love Tiger, enjoy! Big Cat is incredible.

Just try not to lose your mind, lol.

Basketball was so much better (and yes, I realize how old that makes me sound!) until the started letting the Pistons employ their “thuggery” tactics. To me, that’s when the purity of the game started to go away.

As much as I hated the Lakers, was there anything more majestic than watching a Magic led fastbreak (usually culminating in a Worthy flying one handed dunk)?

I would have perhaps agreed with you until the current Golden State team came to be. Team basketball, multiple passes every possessing, little regard for stats except wins.

They are different.

What's jack/tiger's major winning percentage per event played???? Oh, yeah, and if you ain't first you're last, so no runner up talk. First place losers don't get much mention unless you're Jack or Phil.....

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

Major record? Maybe... but probably No

I say he wins 1-2 more majors in his career, and ends his career with around 86 wins IF... he stays healthy.

Does tbreaking the majors make him the GOAT? Yes... but I'm already in the camp that believes he has a legitimate claim to the GOAT title now. So a tie or surpassing Jack's 18 just closes that argument once and for all.

I'd also say that at win #82 or 83... he becomes the best ranked on wins and has comparable majors to Jack, so it's an age old argument will continue unless he gets to or breaks 18.

80 and 14 plus a ten+ year stranglehold of the sport etc. etc. etc. Tiger Slam etc. etc. etc.Storybook improbable comback etc... It's close, and I can see peoples perspective who give the nod to Jack, but Tiger already is the GOAT IMO.

Hey, most things people post, I let slide right off my back. Think Jack's the GOAT? Fine. Tiger the GOAT? Fine. Bert the Pool Guy GOAT? Fine.

But no ketchup on tots is serious trolling. Good lord man, gotta have ketchup. That's why God made tater tots in the first place, fool. The PERFECT ketchup delivery systems.

Feel better now I got that off my chest. Man can only take so much.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Why are Majors valued so much higher? They're just a slightly deeper field and in some cases not even a deeper field depending on who makes it to the weekend. Why do they carry so much value? Why isn't the TC considered as deep a field as a major value wise for example?

Embarrassing post...

If that’s how you see it. But technically It’s just another tournament, another 4 rounds of golf. For example, If you playing against the top 50 players in tournament A, Why is it worth more than playing against the same top 50 players in tournament B just because B is not a Major and A is? Why should one be worth more? How did the Majors become Majors and worth more than normal tournaments? It was an honest question.

the old double down...

You mean "you believe". you realize how arrogant your post sounds right? If you dont think Jack obliterated courses and fields stop posting all together. you cant ever compare team sports and individual sports

50% yes/maybe

Remarkable.

How is he doing this?!

Walked into that courtroom just fine with that sonny crockett outfit... sorry just had to!!

LOL deadsolid, and Powdered is fun and passionate and could whip my butt at golf for sure - just trying to stick up for some of us who know the "good old days" to be a little more than just that!

Edit: was afraid of over quoting!

There seems to be a lot vitriol flowing in the Tour forum today. It’s almost like it’s February and we’ve been snowed in for several months.

Must be Tiger and Ryder Cup combination. ��

LOL, I had a post deleted that contained only 3 words, "She's not French". Not what I would call an attack but I think there is an attempt to be proactive with what is expected to be a lot of nonsense because of the Ryder Cup, so forewarned is forearmed and if it results in less nonsense and mods having do deal with fewer reports I'm all for it BUT easier to get caught in the crossfire so we may need to tread lightly for a few days before hitting that post button.

You mean "you believe". you realize how arrogant your post sounds right? If you dont think Jack obliterated courses and fields stop posting all together. you cant ever compare team sports and individual sports

How did Jack end up with so few total wins? There were like 5 good players when he was playing. Honestly, he should easily have 130+ victories.

Hey, most things people post, I let slide right off my back. Think Jack's the GOAT? Fine. Tiger the GOAT? Fine. Bert the Pool Guy GOAT? Fine.

But no ketchup on tots is serious trolling. Good lord man, gotta have ketchup. That's why God made tater tots in the first place, fool. The PERFECT ketchup delivery systems.

If you were here I would punch you in the mouth ... If you want a ketchup spoon, buy a fry. Putting mashed mater sauce on a tot is wasting the time of the shredder and the fryer who has perfected the layers of golden, crispy goodness. What's next, ketchup on a loose meat? What is happening to this world?

How did Jack end up with so few total wins? There were like 5 good players when he was playing. Honestly, he should easily have 130+ victories.

Sarcasm ... Or most ignorant post ever. Can't tell.

If you were here I would punch you in the mouth ... If you want a ketchup spoon, buy a fry. Putting mashed mater sauce on a tot is wasting the time of the shredder and the fryer who has perfected the layers of golden, crispy goodness. What's next, ketchup on a loose meat? What is happening to this world?

2iuozr.jpg

2iuozr.jpg

I'd say we had a lot in common!

Pass the ketchup!

No, you stop posting. For I am PowderedToastMan the wise.

Jack dominated, but not like Tiger. 15 stroke victory at Pebble 2000! I say I know Tiger is better because I’ve watched them both play with my own eyes, and Tiger’s game was better in nearly every way when firing on all cylinders. Then there’s all the greats who’ve also stated that Tiger is better than Jack.

Don’t get me wrong, Jack was incredible. Tiger though is another level. You will recall that he won 4 majors in a row, two of those by a combined 22 strokes? I don’t care if you guys want to be grumpy old farts, but take some extra indigestion medicine when I say you are wrong if you think Jack was a better golfer than Tiger Woods. That’s just absurd. Just stick with saying Jack is the greatest major champion, heck I’m fine with calling him the GOAT, but he wasn’t the best player. I understand that barely makes sense, but I think you know what I mean.

I’m not even going to get started on basketball. Let’s pretend I never brought it up.

Former professional golfer. Current amateur human being.

Driver: PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5 HZRDUS Smoke iM10 Green 60 TX 45.9" D3

Driver 2: Taylormade Burner Mini 11.5 HZRDUS Smoke Green 70 X D5

Fairway: Taylormade Stealth Plus 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Green 70X D6

Hybrid: Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 19.5 Tensei AV White 85 X D6

Irons: Sub70 659 MB 5-GW DG 105 X (Takomo 201's w/ occasional cameos)

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM9 56 S Grind;  Cleveland RTX Full Face 64 DG 120 X E0

Putter: PXG Battle Ready Raptor 38” Wristlock Grip

Nope, the GOAT is safe....

I say that Tiger bags 2 more Big ones and 6-8 regular Tour events in the next decade if he’s healthy.

Cheers?

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

You better watch it. I been going to the gym, and I am bustin for a good ole fist fight. Nothing finer to fight about that this raging debate.

Long live ketchup on tater tots, and a pox on those who defy this wisdom.

PS: "Loose meat" Ok you get a style point for that one. Reluctantly.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

You better watch it. I been going to the gym, and I am bustin for a good ole fist fight. Nothing finer to fight about that this raging debate.

Long live ketchup on tater tots, and a pox on those who defy this wisdom.

PS: "Loose meat" Ok you get a style point for that one. Reluctantly.

Tot ketchup vs no ketchup fight be like

giphy.gif

If he gets 1 in 2019 I would say the chances of getting to 18 is 25%. If he somehow gets 2 in 2019 his chances are 75%+. If none are won in 2019 his chances are probably 5% of ever reaching it.

However, this is just like the winnng percentage odds on NFL Gamecast, the 99% likely scenarios can teeter-totter in the other direction in just one play(win). If he can get 2 by 45 he's still got an outside chance. Barring injury, I feel his game can hold up for about 5 strong years. I'd laugh if he had a Tom Watson moment in 15y and actually pulled it off to tie Jack or surpass him!

I wonder if Jack ever ponders a scenario where Tiger never falls from glory, never has injuries and asks himself, "To what heights could Tiger have really ascended if he'd never been set back for an entire decade???"

Why should he? are we pretending that injuries were the only reason his play fell off? Longevity matters. Nobody told Tiger to change his swing after Yang took him down. His biggest asset is also his biggest weakness, his ego. It took an entire season of hitting score crippling bad drives to figure out that he shouldnt swing out of his shoes and use a shaft that promotes a tighter flight. Lets see what the W does for him next year but the what if game goes both ways.

I wonder if Tiger ever ponders a scenario where Watson and Trevino don't hole out from off the green, or Watson doesn't fire a 65 to Jack's 66 in 77, and he's now seven behind instead of four.

The "what if" theory works for almost everyone, and in multiple directions too.

Although it is fair to wonder, in regards to Tiger, what might have been.

Well Jack did take 2nd 19 times, so he has 19 what-if's. That being said Doug Sanders handed him one, and Arnie 3 putted a bunch of times at Oakmont when Jack was a rookie....so it does go both ways. I'll tell ya what though, Tiger really never blew a major he should have one, except for that YE Yang debacle. Jack was on the verge 37 times...18 of them fell in his lap.... :)

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

No, you stop posting. For I am PowderedToastMan the wise.

Jack dominated, but not like Tiger. 15 stroke victory at Pebble 2000! I say I know Tiger is better because I've watched them both play with my own eyes, and Tiger's game was better in nearly every way when firing on all cylinders. Then there's all the greats who've also stated that Tiger is better than Jack.

Don't get me wrong, Jack was incredible. Tiger though is another level. You will recall that he won 4 majors in a row, two of those by a combined 22 strokes? I don't care if you guys want to be grumpy old farts, but take some extra indigestion medicine when I say you are wrong if you think Jack was a better golfer than Tiger Woods. That's just absurd. Just stick with saying Jack is the greatest major champion, heck I'm fine with calling him the GOAT, but he wasn't the best player. I understand that barely makes sense, but I think you know what I mean.

I'm not even going to get started on basketball. Let's pretend I never brought it up.

When Jack was young he blew some fields away as well, the 1965 Masters he broke the scoring record and won by 9.....did he not win by more because he wasn't as good, or because the people chasing were better?

Granted, I will admit, peak Tiger circa 2000-2002 was better, but over the long haul I still give Jack the edge. It's kind of like comparing Mickey Mantle to Hank Aaron (or Barry Bonds...if you discount the PED's), Hank had bunches of big records when he retired but Mickey was more exciting and before his body broke down had tons of upside.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Give it 20 years, eventually Tiger will win the goat title. Whether he wins 5 more majors or retires this December, eventually people will adequately appreciate his "best" and how long that it was sustained.

sounds reasonable enough but without the numbers to back it up this GOAT title will always be subject to debate----and rightly so.

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

total # majors won in the history of golf, by age

43 6

44 3

45 2

46 2

48 1

14 majors won by guys older, and less talented, and likely in worse physical condition than Tiger (not sure if Gary would be one that age). On those stats I'd say Tiger is a definite chance. I was a little concerned by how emotional he was after winning last week. A win at the Tour Championship would have been no more than a training run in the mind of prime Tiger. I honestly don't think he has the killer instinct and swagger he used to have. If he gets that back 19 majors is achievable, but if not he won't get to 15.