Any Long Term Srixon 785 Irons Reviews??

tigerfan23

It's all about the sole grind, IMO. The MMCs are really nice - I'm a Mizuno fan boy and love just about every MP iron they've ever released. That said, I found these irons to feel and perform better than any of the many mizunos I've owned. I said it in one of my earlier post, the sole grind not only gets the club through the turf better for me, it actually seemed to increase my directional accuracy. Lots of talk about these being low spin, bit for me they were long, accurate, and felt awesome.

I have a set of mp18sc and decided to look for some more forgiveness. Love the feel of them and didnt want to play any other brand of irons because of it so i tried the mp20 mmc and hmb. HMB was more forgiving than the mmc but i preferred the mmc, i then hit the 785s and it was the only option. For me the 785 were more forgiving than mmc, had better numbers and felt every bit as good if not better. Once i got the 785 outdoor and hit them off grass lies they are even better. I would definitely suggest giving them a try

0KAWZ1LAN5P6.jpegCurrently only have one in the bag (4i). Rest are 945 which might be in the top few blades ever made. Love the extra help and lower spin the in the long end. Easy to forget all the sh*t going on in the world when you’re walking around on the course by yourself on a beautiful spring day. Stay safe y’all.

Definitely has nothing to do with being the z745/65/85 and everything to do with the name 'Srixon'. This thread got me to put the z745s back in the bag and got one round in a couple weeks ago, looking forward to giving them an extended run when I can!

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Have been able to play 4 of the last 5 days and our course dried out with a bit of sunshine. Greens were firm and fast. Had a little trouble holding some greens with the longer irons but nothing too extreme. Still very impressed with these sticks. I’ve gone through many sets of irons of late and nothing can touch the feel of these.

Oh, heavens!! No apology necessary!! Lord knows I’ve stupidly sold MANY sets in the past. This was the one set I sold that wasn’t a stupid decision!! Love the irons, but family first! We’re out of that brief gauntlet now and I’m back on the hunt again! It just took me a few sets to get back to these!!! All good, my man!!

• Like 2

I am currently looking to swap my 7-P from the 785s to the Z-Forged.

I have had zero issues with these, and honestly very little play so I probably haven't given them the most fair shake, but I have some 718 CBs and some MP 20 MBs and am realizing I do prefer the slightly smaller head shape and sole in the shorter irons. Not that these are big by any means, I am just thinking the Z Forged will suit my eye a little better.

Mine have TI X100s and are 2 degrees flat. If anyone happens to have those in the Z Forged (I know good luck right) and wants to trade hit me up...

One thing that surprised me about these clubs is how soft they are. They honestly feel just as good as the MP 20 MBs, which is some very high praise.

Ping G400 LST (10) - Tour AD XC 7TX

Taylormade 300 Mini Driver (13.5 @ 43") - Tensei Pro White 80 TX

Mizuno STZ 5 Wood - Ventus Red 9X

-or-

Mizuno MP20 HMB 3 Iron (18*) - Aldila RIP Alpha 105X Hybrid Shaft

Taylormade P750 Tour Proto (2017) - PX 6.5 - 4-P

Cleveland RTX4 Black - 50/54/58

Scotty Phantom X5 (2022) - 34" - 10G weights

Took my latest set out today for the first time. Best. Irons. Ever.

I said it earlier in this thread, and I will say it again. The v-sole is a game changer. It is so smooth through the turf and it seems to aid in directional forgiveness. I hit seven straight iron shots today that never left the flag. I’m a decent iron player, but these things just make my iron play that much better.

• Like 1

I have not!!! I'm a huge blade guy and would love to give them (or the zforged) a run. I may see if I can find a cheap set of heads to tinker with.

I sold my original set of 785s in late fall. Since then, I have played MP14s, MP64s, iBlades, AP2 718, 718MB, i210, g410, miura cb57 (man, I have a problem). All great iron sets, but yesterday's round just drove home how much better the srixon irons work for me. I'm not saying I won't buy any more irons, but, when I do, they should probably be srixons! Maybe starting with those 965s!!!

Gotta admit, I don't see the problem.

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

• 2 weeks later...

These z785’s really have my interest...I have a fitting booked at the start of May.

I’m also planning to compare against the Ping i210’s and PXG 0311T. These 3 options are about the only ones I’d be interested in replacing my current AP2’s with...

Callaway Paradym 12° - Fujikura Ventus Red 6s

Callaway Paradym 18° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s

Callaway Paradym 21° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s
Srixon z785 (4-PW) - Oban CT 115s+
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 50° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 55° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 60° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s

Bettinardi Studio Reserve JAM-F

I wanted to try a combo set of z-forged and 785's but they don't make left handed z-forged :'(

I've been gaming my 785's for a few months now and they are just so pure.

WITB 

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST 3D w/ Ventus Velocore Blue 6X 

3W: Callaway Mav SZ w/ Ventus Velocore Blue 7x 

DI: Callaway X-Forged 2021 w/ Oban Revenge 85HBX

4-8: Miura CB's w/ Nippon Modus Tour 120X

9/pw: Callaway Apex MB 21' w/ Nippon Modus Tour 120X

50,55,60: Vokey SM8 Raw w/ KBS 610 Wedge S+

Putter: Toulon Garage Las Vegas

Loving mine as well. Feel really good and consistent for me. I've been dealing with misses because I ordered them 1* up and I need to get them bent back to stock. Get a few shots where it catches and shut the face uncharacteristically. I might get them trimmed at the same time since Srixon is 1/4 inch longer than most. Long irons seem super long and I think it affects accuracy a bit.

I don't even know my specs tbh. I got fit for them at standard and then got them gapped at my fitter after I got them. I know for a fact each club was tweaked loft and lie... oups

WITB 

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST 3D w/ Ventus Velocore Blue 6X 

3W: Callaway Mav SZ w/ Ventus Velocore Blue 7x 

DI: Callaway X-Forged 2021 w/ Oban Revenge 85HBX

4-8: Miura CB's w/ Nippon Modus Tour 120X

9/pw: Callaway Apex MB 21' w/ Nippon Modus Tour 120X

50,55,60: Vokey SM8 Raw w/ KBS 610 Wedge S+

Putter: Toulon Garage Las Vegas

And... what did you discover, then?

Srixon Z785 @10.5° Fujikura Atmos 6 X 44.5” //  Cobra King Ltd FWY @15.5° XCaliber FW S 43" //  Cobra F7 FWY @18.5° Aldila Tour Blue ATX 85 S 42.5" //  Titleist 818H1 #4 @20° Project X Hzardus Smoke Red RDX 80g 6.0 40" // Titleist 818H1 #6 @24° XCaliber HY S 39.25" // Srixon Z565 6-PW:  6,7 KBS PGI 90 tipped for S SSx1, 8,9 Fuji Pro 85i S SSx1, PW Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 // Cleveland CBX 50.11 Fuji Pro 95i S SSx1 //  Cleveland RTX3 56.14 bent 55.13 //  Nike VR X3X Toe Sweep 58.10  //  TaylorMade Spider Tour Red #3 Sightline 34" Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0 //  Titleist Pro V1x //  McGregor Hybrid Stand/Cart Bag

For those who feel the z785 irons are more forgiving than other clubs in the same category-especially the AP2-please help me understand how that can be? I would love for that to be the case, but as a longtime AP2 owner, I just don’t understand how the z785 can be more forgiving on mishits without all the tech and tungsten the AP2 has in it...

Callaway Paradym 12° - Fujikura Ventus Red 6s

Callaway Paradym 18° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s

Callaway Paradym 21° - Fujikura Ventus Red 7s
Srixon z785 (4-PW) - Oban CT 115s+
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 50° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 55° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s
Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Copper SB 60° - Black KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 s

Bettinardi Studio Reserve JAM-F

Doesnt quite make sense to me either based on the specs and looks. But the 785 is surprisingly forgiving. Im wondering how much has to do with turf interaction, as when the 785 hits the ground it feels like its being guided and held straight. like the face cant turn.

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

For me, it is all about the v-sole. Keep in mind, prior to purchasing the Srixons, I was playing 718 AP2s and was quite happy with them. I could still game them, but there was a night and day difference in performance for me.

The Srixons were nearly a club and a half longer in the long irons. This was an area where I consistently took issue with the AP2, which seemed very short for me in the mid and long irons. The eye-opening shot for me during my "head to head" testing was a 4 iron I hit on a short par 4. I struck the AP2 perfectly and followed it with a poorly struck 785 on the same line. At this point in the early stages of testing, I was convinced that the AP2s were staying in my bag. Except the skanky 785 shot carried the AP2 distance by a full 20 yards. The 785 long irons, for me, were far greater weapons, and this scenario has continued to play out today. I hit 1-2 clubs less into greens regularly than I did with other, similar players clubs, including the AP2s.

Another area where the difference was noticeable was accuracy. To be clear, the AP2s are very precise and accurate clubs - dozens of tour bags and trophies prove that point. For me, however, the 785s were the first set of irons where my good shots were unexpectedly better. You see forgiveness in bad shots all the time. Poor contact doesn't get punished as badly as expected. But, these were the first irons I've owned (and I've owned TONS) where I would make GOOD contact and the shot would be even better than I expected. So many shots never left the flag. I attribute this almost completely to the v-sole. This was THE difference for me with the 785s. It is almost like the sole put my swing on rails to the target through impact. I don't have any other explanation because no other club before or since has performed anywhere near as well when it comes to directional accuracy.

Finally, the feel of these clubs is sublime. I hit Srixons indoors for ages before picking a set up. I'd read the forums, convince myself I needed to try them, and then leave a demo session with money in pocket because nothing about them matched the hype. I ONLY got my first set because I got lucky on eBay and picked them up brand new in the wrapper for an absolutely ridiculous price. Once I got them on course, however, any doubts I had about the feel disappeared. I'm a Mizuno honk - currently have an MP14 and MP32 7 iron propped up against the arm of my couch to hold while I watch TV. Dare I say the 785s too even the feel of the mizunos?

So, does all this mean that the Srixons are, from an objective standard, more forgiving than the AP2s? Not necessarily. But, what it means for me is that I hit the 785s longer, and straighter more often, than anything else I've owned. And, they feel better than anything else I've tried (including Mizuno and miura). I maintain it is all a result of the v-sole. If that thing works for you, then I don't think there is anything better. And the performance difference it provides will show up in every aspect of your iron play, including forgiveness, distance, and feel.

• Like 2